Let's Talk Tekken 8 (Hopes, Dreams, Expectations)

Page Splits 123>...5
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
CHANG39
Expert
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
As the title suggests, let's talk Tekken 8.

Here are my list of characters that are most certainly will make it in the next Tekken game:
-Jin/Devil
-Kazuya
-Lee/Violet
-Alisa
-Lars
-King
-Jack
-Nina
-Anna
-Kuma/Panda
-Yoshi
-Xiaoyu
-Bryan
-Law
-Paul
-Hwoarang
-Steve
-Asuka
-Lili
-Julia
-Dragunov
-Eddy

Characters that "might" make the cut or will come out eventually:
-Armor King
-Marduk
-Lei
-Feng
-Bruce
-Bob
-Leo
-Jun
-Miguel
(I don't expect any of the new characters in T7 to make a return, maybe Claudio, also hopefully no more guest characters)

Hopefully Tekken 8 uses the Tekken 6 graphics engine, it looks so much more fluid and natural than the UE4, from the small details (snow foot tracking, water reflections+physics etc.) to the animations, Tekken 7 looks damn good for a UE4 game, but not for a Tekken game.

Give characters their own purpose, go back to T4-5 story presentation, the non-Mishimas in Tekken 7 feel more like place holders than characters, give them purpose and a reason as to why they are in the Tekken universe.

Content, Bring back Survival, Team Battle, Tekken Ball etc.

Make customization great again, Tekken 6-TT2 did a lot of things right, at least give us T6's customization items back, also allow us to customize the character panels as well (such a missed opportunity in T7).

Bring back the stage and music designers from T4 and TT2 (minus the uneven terrain from T4).

Tekken 8 should be a next-gen game only.
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Too early, bruh. Why talk T8 when Tekken 7 still has life? There's 2 characters yet to release in Season 2. And Season 3 has a good chance of happening I think. T8 is many, many years away.

At this point, it's too late to expect anything more storywise. But there may still be hope for the missing modes and content and shit, or improving customization. Some more legacy characters and some new stages can do a lot for the game, and it's perfectly reasonable to expect, heck, even demand that.

----

I'll indulge you though. Because I'm coming here after salivating from the recent MK11 reveal. I personally had zero respect for MK as a fighting game for the longest time because it failed to sell me on the most important thing... the aesthetics of fighting. I'm not talking about character and costume design and shit. I'm talking about how the fighting looks and feels. MK11 though... it swept my off my feet. I'm so impressed with the animations in the game. They look and feeeeeel absolutely great... for the most part atleast. Gone are the goofy, floaty, off-balance moves and stances and their limp, flaccid, impact-less-ness. A lot of things are looking heavy, crunchy, fluid, stylish and disbelief-suspendable now. Sonia and Scorpion's gameplay almost totally sold me the game.

So, what I'm getting at is: I want Tekken 8 to sell me on the aesthetics of fighting... I want them to do something really new, maybe re-invent the wheel... cos this current juggle-centric shit is getting really old.

I want variable frame data, damage, and properties for ALL moves depending on the distance at which they connect. I want a weight system where a pathetic feckin' xiaoyu uppercut can't launch a fackin' bear to the next galaxy. I want asymmetric stages and obstacles in the middle of them. I want more interaction with the stage. I want a seamless transition from intro poses to gameplay, from KOs to winposes and to the start of the next round.

I don't give a damn about who makes it into the game or if they don't bring back team battle or farkin' bowling. I can live with a 20 character roster if the gameplay systems feel fresh and engaging enough.

Last edited by dodecadozen on Jan 23rd, 2019 at 17:43

Signature Bring back [kunimitsu] for T7!
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
XBL: Steam:FerDeSantander
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by CHANG39 Hopefully Tekken 8 uses the Tekken 6 graphics engine
That is not happening. At least base your hopes on realism so laters your dissapointment will not be that serious. And anyway, the ue4 has had a tonnnn of updates already that made it even better than before, and Harada-Boy and company have achieved a lot more experience designing on it since they began the production of t7.

Originally posted by CHANG39 Tekken 8 should be a next-gen game only.
It probably will, but taking into account the number of people in this planet that own a ps4.., makes me doubt too
Signature Long Live the King of Iron Fist, Heihachi Mishima.

SSfox
Foxstepman
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Speaking about MK11 i think Tekken and also Soul Calibur has a huge forward leap in term of fighting animations aesthetics despite MK11 has improved this aspect compare to MKX, if only Namco will decide one day to throw those custom horshits once for all and focusing exclusively on making dope outfits per characters.
Also anyone noticed how MK11 copied the rage system of Tekken

Last edited by SSfox on Feb 1st, 2019 at 17:22

DG.PRO
Berserker
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
I rather to retire than playing it since when it comes, it will be a PS5 and Xbox 2 game and at the best possibility we will get it in 2025.(after being 3-4 years exclusive on japanese arcades.)
SSfox
Foxstepman
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by DG.PRO
I rather to retire than playing it since when it comes, it will be a PS5 and Xbox 2 game and at the best possibility we will get it in 2025.(after being 3-4 years exclusive on japanese arcades.)

Believe me my friend i'll be the first to abandon the Tekken Franchise if they'll repeat the Arcade exclusive bullshit.

And real talk no need to be Psycomantis to be aware that the franchise will literally die with one head shot if they'll do that again. At least that's clear to me and that's how i see it personally.
hwoarang_28
Virtuoso
PSN: HuntingHawk89
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
I want them to go back to CG endings. I didnt really like the story mode for T7. It was non rewarding.
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SSfox
Speaking about MK11 i think Tekken and also Soul Calibur has a huge forward leap in term of fighting animations aesthetics despite MK11 has improved this aspect compare to MKX, if only Namco will decide one day to throw those custom horshits once for all and focusing exclusively on making dope outfits per characters.

Also anyone noticed how MK11 copied the rage system of Tekken

I'm not comparing MK with Tekken. MK can try it's best but it'll never come close to Tekken in this generation for me. They both have their own paths to follow for self-improvement.

Even though it looks like MK has taken a big step forward, on closer inspection, I noticed that not all of it's problems have been fixed. I still see some floaty shit, some stupid looking animations and some crunch-less moves. But they've really sold me on Scorpion and Sonia... which is saying a lot for an MK game.

I wouldn't be a fan of Tekken if it didn't have good fighting aesthetics. But I really don't see much improvement in T7. What is this huge leap you're talking about? Is it screw attacks? Rage arts? Changed wake up animations? I don't consider those as an improvement at all. We're still playing Tekken 6.5, just with a new coat of paint. The only thing I'll agree with is the slow motion. That's hands down awesome, but it can't cover up for not improving in other departments.

BTW, rage arts were first seen in some SNK games from the early 90s. I think I even remember seeing it in the TMNT tournament fighters SNES game.
StudBuddha
#ANNAISBACK
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by hwoarang_28
I want them to go back to CG endings. I didnt really like the story mode for T7. It was non rewarding.
I agree
Great_Dark_Hero
Lone Wolf
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Game Play
--> Loosen up on input lag issues along with netcode, that which would benefit everyone playing
--> Do not nerf the mobility. Just don't. Most of us here have no qualms learning and utilizing footsies (neutral game) to win our matches. Fast-paced game play wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
--> A viable tutorial that outright teaches new players how things work in Tekken (that is, right down to BDC, how to get up properly, throw breaking, optimizing juggles, etc).
--> A variation of Tekken Force (the idea of just seeing our favorite characters curbstomp a bunch of mooks or idiotic thugs is far too amusing).
--> Possibly revamp the rage system... make it so that instead of extra damage, they simply get extra combo options (like B!, S!, or new move properties on pre-existing moves, or some string finishers).
Otherwise, they may have to remove it in favor of something else.
--> Give the characters stronger customization options. In Tekken 7, while there were quite a few good ideas there were also a lot of nonsensical options and for some reason a whole lot of... T-shirts.
--> Some additional bonus rounds for players to mess around with along with high reward values or incentives for playing them, alongside arcade mode and whatnot.

Story
--> Another or several Jin vs Kazuya scenarios (and Lars vs Kazuya).
--> Do not sideline the other characters. Make it so that they play some type of relevant role in Tekken 8 and give them just enough time to shine or at least give the main protagonists/antagonists obstacles and show us how they will deal with them.
--> Please discard that weird-ass narrator that used in Tekken 7.
--> If guest-characters become a necessity, make sure each of them at least originate from actual fighting games (I have no real issue with Gouki and especially Geese. They both are well-known fighting game characters and bosses from their respective game series. Noctis was pushing it, despite the decent transgression. Negan is too much. The latter two are still debatable even with my opinions in mind, so I cannot speak for everyone else when I say these things).
--> Redeem a few characters: Characters such as Paul were considered big threats, especially in the time when Tekken 3 took place when he went undefeated and actually made it to (regular) Ogre. This sort of corelates with another statement I stated earlier in this segment.

80% of everything I just said above is not likely to happen and is just wishful thinking (and in some cases, it may sound as if I am simply talking straight out of my ass but these are small-time subjects that I can think about at the very moment).
Signature KOF player who likes Tekken.
lightbeast
Legend
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
IDGAF about a Tekken 8 to be honest. There's far more pleasant things to think about coming in the very immediate future.
DG.PRO
Berserker
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
My last word about this topic, Do not expect the story to be above average ! You will be disappointed.

If you want a good martial arts story in video game, Play the Shenmue franchise.
SparklyUnicorns
Deity
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
I want T8 to be a more complex game. Previous games had so much depth. Now there's no oki, holding back covers more distance, we have YOLO rage arts, power crushes that absorb moves, etc. And all the options you get for being at low health are too much. There was already an outcry when we got rage damage in T6 because people felt it rewarded you for being at low health. Now we have (1) rage damage, (2) rage art, and (3) rage drive. The game is already getting boring a year and a half in. We went from IMO the most complex Tekken game (TTT2) to the most simple. I understand they had to lower the entry for new players but it's getting boring for veterans.
Haseeb_Zaibatsu
2nd Dan
PSN: Haseeb-I
XBL: iBurnouts
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SSfox
Believe me my friend i'll be the first to abandon the Tekken Franchise if they'll repeat the Arcade exclusive bullshit.

This. Not only does it keep countries other than Japan/Korea from being on top for several years in competitive scene. But it also kinda kills the motivation to stay hooked up while having in mind that there are many people who are already enjoying the latest game and you're still bound to stick with the old one. But I guess that's impossible to avoid at this point, developers apparently make a lot of money from arcade scene, as long as they're making money, why would they care if it hurts the international competitive scene or not? Guess they'll pull this off once again.

Originally posted by dodecadozen
Too early, bruh. Why talk T8 when Tekken 7 still has life?

I honestly don't think it's too early. Right now it has been the longest time duration between the announcement of next installment in the history of Tekken. T6 was released in arcades in 2007 and TTT2 was announced in 2010. After about 3 years. Similarly, T5 was released in 2004 in arcades and T6 was announced in 2006, after like 2 years.
Similarly TTT2 was released in 2011 in arcades and T7 was announced in 2014, again, about 3 years.

Right now in the case of T7 being released in 2015 in arcades, even an announcement in 2019 would have not been a surprise. But since the game is a huge success and doing really well, an announcement in 2020 is most likely imo. If not T8 then at least something like TxSF.
Markman clearly said that keeping T7 a game as service will not benefit them more than developing a new game.

Originally posted by dodecadozen

So, what I'm getting at is: I want Tekken 8 to sell me on the aesthetics of fighting... I want them to do something really new, maybe re-invent the wheel... cos this current juggle-centric shit is getting really old.

I want variable frame data, damage, and properties for ALL moves depending on the distance at which they connect. I want a weight system where a pathetic feckin' xiaoyu uppercut can't launch a fackin' bear to the next galaxy. I want asymmetric stages and obstacles in the middle of them. I want more interaction with the stage. I want a seamless transition from intro poses to gameplay, from KOs to winposes and to the start of the next round.

I respect your opinion but it's kinda odd how you want them to change the core and basics of a major fighting game which will most likely never happen. As a Tekken fan, do you think it will be a Tekken game anymore? Why not let Bendai Namco make another game called something else and have the mechanics you mentioned. Basically your demand is to even remove the juggling system (which is basically what Tekken is), variable frame data (which would never fit in Tekken considering it would make it impossible for players to learn and develop appropriate reactions). And weight system? That would only introduce inconsistency and frustration while playing your character, considering you already have to spend countless hours in practice mode to learn all the matchups for entire roster to play at competitive level. Imagine having to deal with weight system for every character. Straight nope.

If they should ever go for such a thing, make it a fresh new fighting game, Tekken can't be transformed into something like that.

Last edited by Haseeb_Zaibatsu on Jan 29th, 2019 at 15:14

WhiteOni
Lone Wolf
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Im 99% sure that Jin and DJ will become one character in T8.

Having 3 Jin's is also a possibility though (Jin, DJ and hybrid)
It's possible but not likely, but i'm pretty sure they won't be seperated anymore.

Also i agree with the poster above that now they copied this "season" stuff from other games they will keep bandaiding the game as long as possible until the next announcement.

dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Haseeb_Zaibatsu
I honestly don't think it's too early. Right now it has been the longest time duration between the announcement of next installment in the history of Tekken. T6 was released in arcades in 2007 and TTT2 was announced in 2010. After about 3 years. Similarly, T5 was released in 2004 in arcades and T6 was announced in 2006, after like 2 years.
Similarly TTT2 was released in 2011 in arcades and T7 was announced in 2014, again, about 3 years.

Right now in the case of T7 being released in 2015 in arcades, even an announcement in 2019 would have not been a surprise. But since the game is a huge success and doing really well, an announcement in 2020 is most likely imo. If not T8 then at least something like TxSF.
Markman clearly said that keeping T7 a game as service will not benefit them more than developing a new game.

Your argument of the games being released within a couple of years of each other applies only if Tekken7 didn't have this seasons stuff going on. Because of seasons, the life of the game is greatly extended. T7 was announced in late 2014 and released "early" 2017 to the majority of the world. We're in 2019 and Tekken7 is still hot, and we haven't even seen the full S2 release yet.

I doubt they're gonna end T7 with Season2. They can milk this cow yet and they know it. I mean, where's muh Kiryu Kazuma?? (I think Harada is probably more inclined to putting in Goro Majima than Kiryu though) But assuming they do end it with S2, I don't see them making an announcement earlier than Evo next year. I mean, would they want to spoil the hype around TWT? And if they go ahead with a S3, that announcement might get pushed ahead to really late 2020 or sometime in 2021.

Besides, it's probably gonna be TxSF than another canon tekken. I mean they've conditioned us with T7 to accept all these alien mechanics and guest characters. The courtship is over. It's time for coitus, yo... is what they're saying IMO.

I respect your opinion but it's kinda odd how you want them to change the core and basics of a major fighting game which will most likely never happen. As a Tekken fan, do you think it will be a Tekken game anymore? Why not let Bendai Namco make another game called something else and have the mechanics you mentioned. Basically your demand is to even remove the juggling system (which is basically what Tekken is),

You're assuming a lot here. The fact is juggle combos are a staple of most any fighting game. My demand is not necessarily to remove juggling. It is to make juggling a less significant part of the game. But if they can get rid of juggling, I'm down with that too.

And if you only think juggling when you think Tekken, bruh, that's like only thinking vaginas when you think women (I mean there's boobs and asses to think about too). And we got some social justice warriors here on TZ ready to pounce on your ass and make you think of movement and range control, stepping, mixups, mindgames and other things screaming for equality.

variable frame data (which would never fit in Tekken considering it would make it impossible for players to learn and develop appropriate reactions).

That is your opinion. At it's simplest execution, you can divide up properties for all moves into shallow hit and clean hit and give different frame data and hit\block animations to each type. The differing animations would be the visual indicator of what kind of frame data is in play. What's the point you ask? This means bryan's not gonna blockstun you when his b+2 catches you on the edge of your hurtbox. This means you wouldn't take full damage for when armor king's d\b+3 catches you even though you're visually only hit on the toe. This means Kazuya's not gonna catch you with an EWGF combo from a mile away. In other words, it would make movement and stepping more effective, reduce frustration due to random looking hits, and improve aesthetics.

And weight system? That would only introduce inconsistency and frustration while playing your character, considering you already have to spend countless hours in practice mode to learn all the matchups for entire roster to play at competitive level. Imagine having to deal with weight system for every character. Straight nope.

Virtua Fighter, one of the most complex fighting games, did it. Why can't tekken? If it means reducing the roster to a manageable size, so be it. The tradeoff i.e. minty fresh gameplay, would be worth it. I mean where else can tekken go after T7 has arguably reached the pinnacle of this style of gameplay?

If they should ever go for such a thing, make it a fresh new fighting game, Tekken can't be transformed into something like that.

The things is Tekken hasn't stuck to a certain mould. Tekken 1 and 2 were 2d. T3 introduced sidesteps. Tag1 brought in 2 vs 2... and supposedly also had a weight system where you couldn't launch big characters as high as you could launch xiaoyu, though I don't remember it at all.

And Tekken 4 was something bold. Too bad they goofed up on certain things and invited whiny people to sabotage Tekken's evolution. But it's not as big a deal to fix those kinds of development issues these days with internet penetration the way it is, and as evident from the patches upon patches T7 has been receiving.

Until Tekken 5, the features being introduced have been pretty significant. Tekken 5 onwards has been an excruciatingly slow evolution. I don't see why T8 shouldn't shake things up. I don't really see why anyone would prefer samey-same-same gameplay over and over even after over a decade of sameness.

Last edited by dodecadozen on Jan 30th, 2019 at 10:11

DinoTheDonDaDa
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: DinoTheDonDaDa
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
I'll be back to collect the tears when TvSF is announced

For 2023, I’d like to see Tekken 8 several years in the future.... Kazuya with grey hairs.... the Jin story being wrapped up..... mostly new characters, protégés....Darker theme.... I want to see blood.... dirt...., maturity.... but eye popping next gen graphics..... I’d like the mechanics to stay the same

Last edited by DinoTheDonDaDa on Feb 1st, 2019 at 00:57

grumpy64
War Lord
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
@Dodecadozen T4 was broken as can be. full of glitches and death combos were a dime a dozen. Don't even get me started on uneven floors.
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, please don't get started on that because we're not discussing T4's problems at all... just the potential that was never to be explored.

BTW the death combos were avoidable by wall teching IIRC.
SSfox
Foxstepman
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by grumpy64
@Dodecadozen T4 was broken as can be. full of glitches and death combos were a dime a dozen. Don't even get me started on uneven floors.

Oh man this again, it's getting too old at this point....i will just say that T5, 6, TTT2 and 7 had broken stuffs too, but they were in an era where patches exists and got patches unlike T4. (and there are many other examples in other FGs outside of Tekken)