How to properly utlilize wave dash?

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Dracksar
1st Dan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
This topic could also apply to the other mishima characters, but since I mostly play Hei I'd figured I'd post it here for now.

So to begin, I've been playing hei for a bit now and can easily pull off his WD as a movement, but my issue is how should I be using it? The problems Im running into is at my level no one respects it and seems most people throwing out random moves punish me for it. But when I watch high level people use it, I see Hei or kaz WD in someone's face for 2-3 wave dashes and their opponent will sit there afraid to react or stop blocking. If I tried to do this I'd eat a mid or anything.

I mostly go for EGWF (not the most consistent I'll admit), Hell sweep or thundergod fist out of it. I hate going for f,d,d/f+1 since it doesnt seem safe but otherwise why would anyone not just block low since its good vs the HS and EGWF?

Im sure I'll think of some more stuff in the future.
alexr
Raijin
PSN: TeamKandR
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Great question!

The answer is that you need a really good mid out of your wavedash to make people worried about ducking. TGF is definitely not safe -- you're going to get blown up for that.

Some solid options include f+4 -- it's easier for Hei to do it out of WD than Kazuya, which is convenient for Hei players -- and ff+2 or ff+3. For the latter two, you should learn how to do ff moves out of your wavedash. (this is not that hard - just tap f during your crouchdash -- I'd recommend learning this soon, if you're not doing it already!)

I'm not a great Hei player, but I feel like the wavedash offense isn't quite as important for him as it is for Kazuya. With Kaz, if you think they're scared to duck, you just hellsweep and get a knockdown, but with Heihachi, it's not that simple...
Signature blog it out! http://alexr-fightgames.tumblr.com
Dracksar
1st Dan
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
I guess really what my question is what is it about WDing that good players learned to be scared of? Whatever that is I have to use that vs the bad or low tier players.

Im going to assume ff+2 is pretty safe because of its push back?
alexr
Raijin
PSN: TeamKandR
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
ff+2 is pretty hard to punish, yeah! Due to pushback.

Oh! The other great mid move for all wavedash characters: ws4. It's really fast, safe, and you get loads of frame advantage if it hits. I need to do that more.

For Hei, you can do cd4 n4 to get the first hit of hellsweep into ws4, and that's a pretty good low option. The first low is unseeable, and people are incentivized to block low after the first one hits so they don't eat a launcher.

For knowing what *really good* players find scary about wavedash, watch high level Korean Mishimas! Lord JDCR plays a lot of Hei. Knee and Qudans for D. Jin. Sometimes Knee rocks Kazuya, and it is unreasonably sick when he does.

For like... pretty good but not demigod Mishimas, see what TMM does with Heihachi? I think the low he uses most is db2. He just wavedashes because he wants to be in your face ready to side-step electric.
Signature blog it out! http://alexr-fightgames.tumblr.com
Revelations
Shihan
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Perhaps lower level player don't really understand the threat that a WD mix-up can have so they play differently compared to higher level players that understand the game better.

Hei's mix-up is f+4/ff+2/ff+3/ws+4 for mids vs HS+4/HSn4/db+2 for lows. Do note his mix-up isn't as good as dvj's and definitely weaker than kaz's but he doesn't rely on it as much as the other two.
Signature Mishimas Fighting!!
DA!!
DORYAH!!
SERIYA!!
Dracksar
1st Dan
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks for the good info guys.

One thing I wanted to add that I started figuring out, is using Korean back dash to create space and whifs, and wave dash can cover a lot of space. So its not always about getting in someone's face but also that you can land some attacks from a pretty good distance or punish whifs from pretty far away if you're ready for them.