Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Fergus
Kazama Slamma
PSN: Fergus2k8
XBL: FlowchartFergus
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
This is an idea I had way back in Summer 2013 but I got too lazy to start it. Finally got myself around to starting it a month ago so enjoy! There may be a video version of this guide but I have 0 editing skills so weíll see. This guide breaks down every aspect of everyoneís favourite gal from Osaka!

This guide is assuming you know the basics of Tekken in terms of notation, frames, basic mechanics etc.

Thanks to Yomabuddy/Karan for allowing me to adapt his layout from his Ganryu writeup for my own guide, hereís a link if people are interested - http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forum...threadid=129128

Iíve taken the frame data from rbnorway.org and my own testing - http://rbnorway.org/ttt2-frame-data/

Table Of Contents

1) Intro/Overview(Pros + Cons)
2) Movelist breakdown
3) Summary of Breakdown
4) Punishers
5) Combos
6) Okizeme
7) General Stragety at certain ranges
8) Wall Game
9) Top Partners and Why
10) Conclusion/Thanks

Hope you enjoy the read! Thereís quite a lot but bare with me.

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 16:14

Signature + main. Interested in + for T7

Join CKT Group, the new upcoming tekken clan, join the family! - https://www.facebook.com/groups/CKTTekken/?fref=ts

Thanks VendettaAshes for the avatar!
Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
1) Intro/Overview

Asuka I would define as a defensive CH orientated character in TTT2. Her keepout game is amongst the better ones in the game as she has a plethora of CH moves and various quick recovering moves to make your opponent hesitant in their approach and moves that pushes her hitbox back as well as giving her a launch like the infamous b3. Personally I think itís hard to nail a characterís playstyle down to one thing but in Asukaís case, the closest I can say would be ďpassive aggressivenessĒ. She bully the crap out of you with her ranged pokes such as db3/d2 while keeping f2 on lock to whiff punish you. The tag mechanics in TTT2 benefits Asuka a LOT due to her ability to tag off pretty much all of her launchers with db4,3~5 into her partner. Sheís a pretty chip heavy character that has moments of explosive damage when she lands a CH (ws1+2 hurts a lot)

Pros

- Arguably the hardest character to pit bull with her arsenal of panic moves, d3+4, 1,2,4, b3, ss2, 2+3, b2+4_b1+3 reversal

- An amazing and easy whiff punisher with f2.

- Good keepout game with moves like uf3, ss4, b3, df4, d2

- Outside of her i10, her standing punishment is above average, especially with f2 on pushback moves.

- Sheís an extremely safe character especially with her main lows being -12 or safer (meaning the i13 launch trio canít even launch her) combined with her being the best anti pitbull char in the game, she can be a nightmare to take damage off.

- Relatively easy to use compared to the rest of the cast.

- A Very strong wall game.

- Gives her partner a lot of combo potential due to her ability to tag buffer off nearly everything, this is especially effective with characters with strong wall carry like Bruce or Lee (not Nina as she canít iWS1 off db4,3~5)

Cons

- Has the worst i10 standing punisher in the game, which can really hurt her ability to take damage off opponents who plays safely.

- One of the worst if not the worst set of WS punishers in the game.

- Has some tracking issues at range, especially when sheís on P1 side where you can step db3 from crouching.

- Can be a bit hard to steal the lifelead when sheís on life deficit.

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 24th, 2015 at 18:54

Join CKT Group, the new upcoming tekken clan, join the family! - https://www.facebook.com/groups/CKTTekken/?fref=ts

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
2) Movelist Breakdown

Get ready for a long read....

I copied rbnorway's layout for the frame data, it goes like this

(High/Mid/Low), (What damage does it do/damage of next part in string/damage of next part in string/etc), (startup frames), (Frames on Block/Frames on Hit/Frames on CH), (NC or NC on CH if it's a string) and (tracking if any)

When I have something like this, (1),1,3, this means that the first part of the string (1) whiffed and the 1,3 connected with the opponent.

1 - High, 10, i10, -2/+9/+9, tracks SSL

Asuka's standard jab, unlike most characters, she doesn't have a NC followup afterwards. This is her i10 punisher, while it may be the worst in terms of damage, she has +9 to work with. 1+2 is a nice option afterwards as it cannot be interrupted, stepped or ducked post 1. The extension are good to harass the opponent as there are a lot of options to consider starting from 1. Itís important to note that Asukaís jab isnít + on block, itís actually -2.

1,1 - High/Mid, 10/12, i10, -8/+3/+3, NC on CH

The mid extension from her 1. 1,1 is uninterruptable but it can be parried/reversalled.

1,1,3 - High/Mid/Mid, 10/12/21, i10, -4/+5/Launch, (1)13 is NC on CH

A mid ender to the 1,1 string. It launches on CH if it connects on it's own (followup with 1+4 2,1,1+2) If you vary this string, it can be quite annoying as your opponent will freeze up, expecting extension from extension, very useful for mental frame advantage gameplay. Unlike 1,1 the ender cannot be reversalled.

1,1,4 - High/Mid/LowHigh, 10/12/6, i10, -25(duck)/-6/Launch (11)4 CH launches

Her 1,1 string into a built in cancans ender. Can be delayed. Can't be interrupted if not delayed. If delayed, it can be floated with jabs and trades with i12 moves. If the opp likes to try and low parry/duck this, you can keep them in check with 1,1,3. If they remained standing, the cancans jails on hit and you get 6 damage. If they like to wait for 1,1 delay 4, you could try experimenting with 1,1 into df1 etc.

1,1,d4 - High/Mid/Low, 10/12/29, i10, -18~17/Launch/Launch

Her 1,1 string into a built-in 3~4 ender. You can combo off this with ws4 dash 1+4, 2,1,1+2 b! or ws4 f2 for an easy mode combo. This is useful to catch opponents who are sleeping, be careful as it is reactable but you can hold db to cancel it to throw off their timing.

1,3 - High/Low, 10/16, i10, -12/-1/-1, NC on CH

A low extension from her jab, nice as a mini mixup with 1,1 to harass your opponent with. It was +1 on hit in T6 but has been nerfed to -1 but you still can continue pressure based on opponent's patterns. Cannot be low crushed but can be low parried.

1,4 - High/Low, 10/18, i10, -11/0/+3

Another low extension from her jab, it's essentially her db4 Just yet another option to consider starting from her jab. It cannot be hopkicked but it can be crushed by quicker low crushing moves like Kazama d3+4. You can hold ~d to remain FC and initiate FC pressure. She has a followup post 1,4 with 1,4,3 which is a high launcher, (1)43 is NC on CH so if you feel like your opponent is getting a bit too antsy after your jab on block, you can score a very damaging launcher with (1)43. It can be ducked and launched so be careful with it.

1,2,4 - High/Mid/Mid, 10/12/27, i10, -14/KDN/KDN, NC on CH

A hitconfirmable KDN CH i10 string, just another tool in Asuka's defensive arsenal that makes her a pain to pressure upclose. Despite the animation, it doesn't give a clean wallsplat but if you hit it at a certain range from the wall, you can dash bound. Useful string to keep your opponent in check.

1,2,3 - High/Mid/Mid, 10/12/32, i10, -2(+6 with 2 spins, unblockable with 3 spins)/KDN/KDN

This string can be useful when your opponent really respects Asuka upclose, you can hold the 3 to charge it and if you spin twice, it's +6 on block and 3 spins = a high unblockable. Your opponent can't interrupt the 1st spin if 1,2 hits. With 1,2 on block, you can down jab Asuka as soon as you see her spin so it's a little gimmicky but it has it's moments. You can hold ~b to cancel the spin, maybe even catch the opponent with the unblockable if they're sleeping or doesn't know it's a high.

2,1 - High/High, 12/13, i12, -3/+8/+8, NC, (2),1 tracks SSL/SWL

Her i12 punisher for frames, it doesn't jail on block. The 2nd hit actually has really good tracking to her right but I wouldn't use it for that purpose. This string is ok to throw out if your opponent isn't good at ducking it but wouldn't recommend it outside punishing/combos.

2,1,1+2 - High/High/Mid, 12/13/31, i12, -10~-9 OC/+3~+4 OC/Launch, (2),1,1+2 is NC on CH

A mid extension to the 2,1 string, it can be interrupted by i10 and trades with i11 (hard) but the Asuka can do 2,1 on block into db2 which will crush your jab for a combo. (21)1+2 on CH will give a launch, but you can only combo if you do 2,1,1+2~d to go FC then do ws4, 2,1 2,1,1+2 b! or iWS4 without holding d but itís significantly harder. You can also do 2,1,1+2~b but I strongly advise that you don't do this as it's very unsafe on block, only useful for certain ranges as a TA filler from the wall.

2,3 - High/Mid, 12/27, i12, -19/KDN/KDN, NC

Her i12 punisher, very solid i12 punisher for 39 damage, it also wallsplats and has the range for -12 getup 4s. But it's extremely unsafe on block so keep it to punishing.

3,1 - Mid/Mid , 22/17, i14, -11/+2/+2, NC, (3),1 tracks SSR a little

A pretty decent move for Asuka, itís a hitconfirmable mid mid with ok range, the 3 is safe by itself at -7, pretty fast at i14, useful move to keep your opponent in check upclose if theyíre looking to duck d1+2/db3 etc. 3 by itself is +9 on hit which is really nice.

3~4 - Low, 29, i24, -18~17/Launch/Launch, tracks SSL and SSR/SWR

Itís the same as her (1,1)d4, you get a combo with ws4 dash 1+4, 2,1,1+2 b! or ws4 f2 for an easier combo and at the wall, you do 3~4 into d1+2. It tracks surprisingly well, most importantly to her weak side (which is your right), she also goes really low to the ground so it can be useful during pressure if they like to use a lot of high moves, it can even go under certain mids. This move is also really good for oki as it hits siderolls both directions in most scenarios and itís pretty beefy. You can cancel with ~db to try and trigger a reaction from your opponent and initiate FC pressure.

4 - high, 24, i11, -9/+7/Launch

Generic magic 4, useful for CH keepout or as a fast panic button during your opponentís offense, the followup is kinda hard but doable with practice, you do 4 CH dash 1+4,2, 2,1,1+2 b! Not great on whiff so be careful throwing it out.

1+2 - Mid, 28, i16, -9~-8/Launch/Launch, very slight tracking on SSL

One of Asukaís strongest moves imo. Itís a safe mid launcher that launches crouching for a beefy combo. There is a very slight pushback on block so you can bdc jabs etc. I like this move combined with d1+2 on opponentís tech, as they cannot bdc from either option then, dashing up to someoneís face and doing 1+2 them is a common strategy of mine for when they fear d1+2 or to catch a delayed button. Itís also pretty strong as a i16 punisher as well, more damage than df2.

3+4 - MidMId, 13/28, i23, -6/Launch/Launch

Most people might not be aware of this, but you can actually get a combo off this move in open with dash 1+4, but the timing is very strict. You can get an easy f2 followup in open and b42 at wall to bound. It also low crushes but you might as well use d3+4 (cancans). Personally Iím not a fan of this move as itís pretty slow and doesnít track at all and has poor range. It can be useful at the wall for oki, to hit them grounded and to get a launch if they getup and duck but thatís about it to me. You can hold db/d/df to go FC from this move on block/hit.

1+4,2, Low/High, 6/10/13 i14/i31, -2/+9/+9, 1+4,2 is NC on CH, 2 hit of 1+4 and 2 hits SSL/SWL

1+4 strings, a bane of most peopleís nightmares vs Kazamas, but it is actually quite easy to deal with, you down jab after the first hit of 1+4 as it does not jail on hit. So you donít have to deal with 1+4,2,4 (-15 mid wallsplatter with pushback) or 1+4,2,d4 (a low launcher, launch on block). Usually used in combos such as from 3~4 ws4 dash 1+4 or f4 dash 1+4 etc. Itís also useful to pickup backrolls and in situations like post d1+2 on hit where you can dash 1+4 to pickup quickstand/backroll (will talk more about that in oki section). She can also use her 3 spin move from 1+4,3 (like from 1,2,3, read back for spin explanation)

2+3, High, 28, i28, 0/KDN/Launcher on activation

This move alone makes Steve a really good matchup for Asuka, it is a punch subaki, it will absorb any highs/mids as long as itís a punch and not an elbow/knee/head/weapons etc. You get a combo on activation with dash 1+4 2,1,1+2 b! ws1,4_ff2,1+2. Itís also only 0 on block so you can still keep momentum up if you guessed wrong on them doing a punch and they blocked it.
It activates on the 6th frame as shown below
beats i10 at -1
beats i10 at -2
beats i10 at -3
beats i10 at -4
loses to i10 at -5

F2 - Mid, 27, i17, -20/Launch/Launch, tracks SSR

This is the move that entices most people to play this character, it might not be the #1 whiff punisher in the game, but it is by far the easiest. It has massive range, itís tag bufferable, it does beefy damage for a launcher, itís her best whiff punisher and itís something you should have locked and loaded, ready to fire it at any whiff, my favourite situation to fish for a whiff punish is after d2/db3 at range 2, (Iíll explain this more down a bit) or after pushback moves on block such as ff2,1. You could also use it as a hard read on opponents who are stepping to Asukaís weak side which is her left, your right. F2~d is also a pretty good move to cover the gap between yourself and the opponent, it leaves you in FC and you can go about your FC pressure from here or f2~d bdc and bait any retaliation from your opponent, I also find that this triggers a very delayed reaction from opponents (opponent depending ofc) and often scores FC df2 CH.

f1+2 - high, 43, i15~i16, -9~8/KDN/KDN, tracks SSL

A big beefy elbow move, pretty bad on whiff so I would be careful about throwing it out at neutral, you have much better buttons to throw out brainlessly. Itís good as a i15 punisher for pushback moves such as Heihachiís ff2 upclose. You can also use it as a combo ender, I feel itís a bit easier to execution than iWR3 and more consistent, may be placebo effect.

f3 - mid, 40(1 spin)/54(2 spins)/67 (3 spins), i31/i52/i70, -2(1 spin)+6(2 spin)Unblockable(3 spin)/KDN/KDN, tracks SWL/SWR but opp can easily ~b in time

Itís her (1,2)3 move but on itís own. I like this move when the opponent techs, to give myself +6 on block and act as a mid option, you can ~B and then go for grabs, db3, d1+2 etc. in your opponentís hesitation. You can be a bit cheeky and charge up the unblockable if your opponentís sleeping.

Last edited by Fergus on Apr 22nd, 2016 at 07:43

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
f4 - High, 28, i19, +3/Launch/Launch, homing move

One of the best homing moves in the game for sure, not only is this move + on block, but you also get a combo with dash 1+4, 2,1,1+2 b! on NH, itís a little tricky at first but easy with practice. Itís a bit slow though so your opponent can SS~b to block it but you still have + frames on block, if you hit them SWing, sometimes the 1+4 wonít work if it hits at a weird axis so you have to do db4,3. This is a very good move to bully your opponent with, keeping + frames on and keeping their stepping in check.

df1 - Mid, 13, i13~i14, -3~-2/+8~9/+8~+9, slight tracking to SSR

A pretty decent generic df1, the range is a little bleh but itís very good on block and hit. Useful to safely keep the opponent in check upclose

df1,2 - Mid/High, 13/37, i13~i14, -3/KDN/KDN, NC on CH

A high extension from her df1. It does 52 damage if the df1 hit on CH, very good if your opponent gets buttony after df1 on block. Itís also delayable but it isnít NC on CH anymore if you do delay it. Thereís also a bit of pushback on block so itís useful to setup whiff punishes. The okizeme is the same as her 1+3 throw (will discuss later) It doesnít jail however so it can be ducked or interrupted with down jab or generic d4

df1,4 - Mid/Mid, 13/29, i13~i14, -12/KDN/KDN, NC on CH

The mid followup after df1. Like df1,2, it can be delayed but isnít NC on CH anymore. If you land (df1)4 on CH, you get a launcher. df1,4 will catch people trying to duck or down jab df1,2, if you delay df1,4, it can trade with i10 moves on block. To me, this move is pretty good risk/reward wise as itís only -12 on block but you get a CH launcher if they press any buttons after df1 (non delay) 4. Be careful tho as the opponent can step the 4 after df1 on block either direction. But df1,2 will shut that down

df2 - Mid, 18, i15~16, -6~5/Launch(+5 on crouch hit)/Launch, tracks SSL/SWL

Asukaís generic df2, it doesnít launch crouchers, only standing. Itís her i15 punisher. Pretty good upclose if your opponent likes to SSL Asuka or just throw it out as a keepout tool hoping theyíll mess up their dash block and get hit by it

df3 - Mid, 29, i18, -11/KDN/KDN

A mid KDN/wallsplatter move with some pushback on block, itís safe in open vs most characters, some chars are able to punish it though like Jackís f2, Bobís 2,1, Leeís f4 etc. At the wall with the opponentís back to it, most chars should be able to punish it. There are better moves to use for this purpose

df1+2 - Mid/Mid, 13/27, i42, -14/KDN/Launch

It has a built in low subaki, if you do this move and the opp does a low, you get a 40 damage CH crumple similar to (df1)4 CH. Personally, I donít see any reason to use this over cancans upclose, because cancans is safe on block while this move isnít and you get a better combo off cancans.

d2 - mid, 24, i18, -4 OC/+9 OC/Launcher, tracks SSL slightly

This might be my favourite move with Asuka, itís a CH launcher that has loads of range, it bounds, it has crazy frames on hit, it leaves them crouching on block and hit while Asuka remains standing with pushback. So you can bait whiffs with f2, if they try to attack you with a slower move with range, eg Kazama ff3, you can CH it or BDC/SS and whiff punish it. Since it leaves them OC on block/hit, they cannot SSR on P1 side and SSL on P2 side. You can use this to your advantage by using certain moves that they canít step, eg d2 with opp on P1 side on block, they canít SSR db3 (which is the weak side for db3) and itíll hit SSL. Itís an extremely strong tool at range and combined with db3, you can really clip your opponentís movement.

d1+2 - mid, 27, i20, -18/KDN/KDN, tracks SSL very slightly

This move is what makes Asuka extremely scary at the wall, d1+2 at the wall gives a free 3~4, essentially making this an unseeable 40+ damage low, if they try to quickstand the 3~4 to take less damage, you can do ws4 to wallsplat them, then d2 to bound for a combo. In the open, itís limited as it has very poor range and tracking, but in the event that you land it, you get a 50/50 post d1+2 with dash 1+4 to pickup backroll/quickstand and dash 3~4 to hit remains/siderolls. Itís a very strong low and should be used more by Asuka players, especially at the wall.

d3+4 - low/high, 6/27, i14, -6/-6/Launch, 1st hit tracks SSL/SSR but 2nd hit whiffs, NC on CH

The infamous cancans, the bane of everyoneís nightmare playing vs Asuka. Itís essentially a safe hopkick that only launches on CH. It crushes lows at frame 5 whereas hopkicks normally crushes at frame 9. Itís nice to throw out if you read a low or if your opponent is getting a bit too excited at - frames as not only the move is amazing at crushing lows, itís also pretty fast for a CH launcher (outside magic 4s) at i14. It is death on whiff though so be wary about being predictable with it, the opponent can easily BDC/SS it and launch. If they step cancans and get hit by the low but the 2nd hit whiffs, itís -14.

db1 - mid, 17, i14, -9/+4/+4, tracks SSR/SWL

Db1 crushes highs pretty quickly, and has surprisingly strong tracking to Asukaís left, useful if you want to crush jabs at -4/5 (still need to test exact frame)

db1,2 - mid/low, 17/22, -13/+3/KDN, NC

The low followup after db1, itís not hitconfirmable so doing the followup is a commitment. db(1)2 knocks down on CH giving a free db3.

db2 - mid, 29, i24~25, -13~-12/Launch/Launch

This move should only be used if you have completely read your opponent, it high crushes really fast, almost instantly but the range is poor and itís death on whiff so itís a big commitment.(Think of Steveís b3,2) Itís very very strong vs jab pressure and it gives her a combo with db1 1+4 2,1,1+2 b!, it also flips a FDFA opponent during TA granting a normal juggle.

db3 - low, 20, i21, -12/+4 OC/+4 OC, tracks SSL/SWL

A very very underrated low, it has amazing range, strong tracking to her right, very good frames on hit especially the OC bit as you can really really control how your opponent moves with db3 and d2 at range, if your opponent is on P1 side, they cannot SSR (db3ís weak side) so db3 and d2 is extremely strong if Asuka is on P2 side. Itís also relatively safe for a low at -12 (like nearly all of Asukaís lows being -12 or safer, making lows vs the likes of Capos, Kazuya and Bruce way less risky) A common misconception about this move that it pushes too far on hit to be able to frame trap the opponent, while this is true but you also have to keep in mind that Asuka has f2 so if they tried any buttons after db3 on hit, you can unleash the f2 to condition them. Definitely one of Asukaís best moves.

db4 - low, 18, 22, -11/0/+3, tracks SSL/SSR/SWL

The same low out of her (1),4 string. As already mentioned in that paragraph, you can use the fear of (db4),3 as a very damaging launcher to keep your opponent in check from pressing standing buttons, this will lose to down jabs and generic d4 BUT Asuka can do db4,4 to CH launch that into 1+4,2,1,1+2 followup. It has pretty strong tracking and you can ~d to recover in FC and go for FC harassment aka FC df2 spam.

db1+2 - high, ???, +8/+8/+8

A pretty unusual move in TTT2. Itís a grab but it has a CH state so you can CH her out of it. It gives her free +8 point blank to work with. Sadly they can still bdc d1+2 but you have loads of options still with +8.

b1 - low, 25, i29, -12/+4/KDN, slight tracking for SSL/SSR

A seeable low which gives an auto throw animation on CH, I donít really see a use for this move over 3~4, 3~4 serves the same purpose but the reward is much higher albeit being launch punishable.

b2 - mid - 16, i15, -4 OC/+1 OC/+1 OC

Not really a useful move compared to all the other mids that Asuka has. b2 has the same followups from her jab string except for one so you can use it for mental frames in the same way as her jab I guess, but she has much better options upclose.

b2,1+2,4 - mid/high/mid, 16/9/27, i15, -13/KDN/KDN, NC on CH

A i15 CH hitconfirmable wallsplat string, the b2,1+2 jails on block, can be useful at the wall as it grants a 55 dmg wallsplat and isnít too bad on block if you mess up. b(2),1+2 can be delayed and grant a CH as itís only interruptable with down jab (doesnít jail if delayed)

b3 - mid, 27, i16~i17, -23~-22/Launch/Launch, tracks SSR/SWR

Probably the next most infamous move Asuka has after cancans. This move is broken in certain matchups if the opponentís character has a hard/crap punish for b3 due to itís massive pushback on block. (Lee, Rolex) Itís an extremely strong keepout tool if your opponent likes to get too aggressive in their approach, the followup is very hitconfirmable with b3,4,3 into a combo. http://pastebin.com/sQ2CN2zG (list of punishers for b3 and explains punishing the extensions) Definitely a move that every Asuka should learn how to implement in their game.

b4 - mid, 22, i15, -8/+8/Launch, slight tracking on SSL

A strong, fast and mid CH launcher knee. Nice to use as a tool upclose to keep your opponent in check, can also be used as a keepout tool at range but itís a bit iffy on whiff so careful with it. I personally really like this move as a ďkeep in checkĒ move but it is pretty - on block giving your opponent free momentum so be wary of that.

Last edited by Fergus on Aug 5th, 2015 at 23:08

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
b4,2 - mid/mid, 22/22, i15, -5~-6/+4~+5/KDN, NC on CH

The followup to her b4, if you landed b4 on CH and continued the string, you get an instant bound and your max damage combo is uf3 1 b2,4,3 for 68. (b4),2 on CH gives a KDN giving you a free db4. You can float quickstand/backroll with 1+4 into bound and 3~4 to hit remains/siderolls, itís also slightly delayable which can be useful to catch buttons.

b1+4, high/low, 20/10, i12, -8/+5/+7, NC and 2nd hit tracks SWL/SWR

A pretty unusual move that not a lot of people know that Asuka has. Itís one of those ďcheesyĒ strings that can be abused vs a player with bad knowledge. Itís not high/low at the same time, itís high then a low so you can low parry it on reaction but if they canít, itís free frames to play with.

b1+4,3 high/low/low, 20/10/24, i12, -13/-2/KDN

A low extension to her b1+4 string, no use to it really besides throwing it out once in a blue moon to cheese your opponent out. If the low in b1+4 connected, then (b1+4),3 is uninterruptable as well asÖ

b1+4,4, high/low/mid, 20/10/31, i12, -14/+5 BT/+5 BT

The mid extension to her b1+4 string, like the low followup, itís uninterruptable if the low in b1+4 connects, I guess the whole string is ok to throw out as a canned 50/50 as I canít really find a fuzzy guard timing and the animation for the mid and low looks very similar so not really reactable either. Still pretty cheesy to me though.

b2+4_b1+3

Asukaís reversal move, starts up in i3 (as far as I can tell from my testing), vs punches, she sends the opponent flying away and it gives a safe raw tag. On kicks, she has a different animation for reversalling left leg and right leg, on left leg, she leaves them in FUFA on the ground and on right leg, she leaves them FUFT on the ground. If she reversals a punch with her back to the wall, she gets a wallsplat combo so your opponent must keep buffering chicken in their moves to prevent this (1 and 3, you do f1+3, 2 and 4, you do f2+4 after inputting the move) You can also hold b2+4_b1+3 to make the reversal active for longer, but this opens you up to being whiff punished when itís done, you can ďmixĒ up the timing by holding or not to make your opponent question when they should punish. Oki is covered in okizeme section.

uf2, high, 27/20, i14, -9/KDN/KDN

Her i14 punisher, I would just keep the move to punishing as itís not really useful outside of that. The oki is the same as her 1+3 grab (which will be covered soon)

Uf3, mid, 22, i20~i21, -5~-6/+8~+9/Launcher, slightly tracks SSR

One of my favourite moves with Asuka, her ranged mid CH launcher. Itís pretty good on whiff so it can be hard to launch punish and on top of all that, it also low crushes. A pretty sick keepout tool, definitely should be in every Asukaís arsenal.

uf4, mid, 33, i20, -13/Launch/Launch

Her hopkick, itís pretty slow for a hopkick but we gotta use what we have. Itís her i20 punisher as well. I donít really see any point in using this move as a low crush move when we have cancans to mash on.

ff2,1 - mid/high, 21/28, i15(16~), -5/KDN/KDN, NC, ff2 tracks SSR/SSL slightly

A new move for Asuka in TTT2 which helped her out a bit imo, (ff2),1 is the high extension to her ff2. It doesnít jail on block so you can duck it. If your opponent didnít backroll, run up f2 is free.

ff2,1+2 - mid/mid, 21/33 i15(16~), -13/KDN/KDN, NC

Mid extension to her ff2 string for opponents who likes to duck ff2,1. The amount of rounds Iíve robbed by randomly doing this string to wallsplat in rage, it does 67 damage in rage so itís very damaging. Pushback on block can make it awkward for some characters to punish as well. The string can be rewarding at the wall for when theyíre looking to duck ff2,1.

ff3 - mid, 31, i20~i21, -9~-8/KDN/KDN

A really sick homing move, it high crushes pretty fast, wallsplats and kdns on NH. Good to force your opponent to respect Asukaís approach so she can start bullying with f2~d cancels, db3, d2 etc.

ff4 - high, 33, i22(23~), -3/Launch/Launch

A safe high launcher, personally I donít recommend using this move as itís horrendously slow and death on whiff as well as being a high. In the event that you actually land this move, you can followup with iWR3 1+4 2,1,1+2 b!. It has some low crushing properties as well but you have way better buttons to throw out.

WR3 - mid, 43, i24~i28, 0~+4/KDN/KDN

Her usual combo ender from a TA along with f1+2 (both does same damage), it can be nice to approach your opponent with if theyíre not stepping, as the animation suggests, it does indeed hop over lows which is standard for a WR3. Because Asuka is female *gasps*, her WR3isnít heavy + on block like a male WR3 but it CAN be + if done from further out.

WS1,4 - mid/high, 22/28, i15~i16, -12/KDN/KDN, NC, slight tracking on SSR

Her i15 WS punisher, it might not be a launcher but itís very beefy and wallsplats. If they didnít backroll, a free run up f2 is free and you can visually confirm if they did or nah. Just be careful about throwing this out as it doesnít jail on block so (ws1),4 can be ducked and launched.

WS2,1 - mid/high, 24/13, i14, -3/+6/+6, NC, tracks SSR

Her i14 WS punisher, like WS1,4, it doesnít jail so it can be ducked. WS2 on itís own can come in use (or ws2,1 if theyíre not ducking) if they like to SSR after FC df2 on hit. WS2 is -8 on block and +8 on hit so 1+2 afterwards covers a lot of options, buttons, ducking and SSing both ways.

WS3 - mid, 27, i19, -20/Launch/Launch, slight tracking on SSL

Her first WS launcher (outside of CCing) at i19, it doesnít give a good combo unless paired with very specific characters like Miguel or Jun as it leaves them FUFA. Asukaís solo combo off this is 2,1,1+2 b! b2,4,3. There is some pushback on block so it can make punishing it awkward for some characters.

WS1+2 - mid, 27, i21, -2/+5/CS Stun (+18), tracks SSR

If you think Bruceís b2 is the robber of rounds, wait til you get a taste of this move. On CH, this move grants a free f2 essentially giving you a 59 damage launcher, itís also only -2 on block so you can still pressure away. You can do ws1+2~d to cancel out of it, I like this after FC df2 on hit because people usually backdash after eating one so you can use ws1+2~d to catch up and harass them more and scare them with the possibility of ws1+2 CH if they try to interrupt after backdashing. Also nice to hit people SSRing after FC df2 on hit as well.

FC df2 - low, 16, i16, -11/0/Stun (+18), tracks SWL/SWR

One of Asukaís most spammable moves, this isnít a homing move but it might as well be since it tracks pretty much 360. On CH, you have a few options, you can ws1,4 for an easy mode combo for 69 damage, CC df2 (which is easy enough for staple with practice and is strongly recommended that you learn this as itís fking cheap), CC 1+2 (harder, personally Iíd stick to df2) CC f2 (JF, not really match staple because if you mess up, you die, but itís fun for showcasing execution) and CC ff2,1+2 to get a wallsplat but ws1,4 does slightly less for an undroppable combo. This low is so good not only because of the tracking and CH launch, itís because of how easily Asuka can access FC, with db4, 1,4, f2~d, WS1+2~d and so on. Extremely good for harassing the opponent especially at the wall when they cannot backdash a 2nd FC df2.

FC 3+4 - mid/mid, 13/13, i21, -6/+5 OC/+5 OC, NC

A low crushing move out of FC, sadly it isnít fast enough to low crush down jab after FC df2 otherwise it would be pretty good to me. It does have nice frames on hit though, this is the move that Asuka players uses when they wanna get funky with their pressure thanks to the extensionÖ

FC 3+4,3 - mid/mid/mid/mid, 13/13/13/13, i21, 0 OC/KDN/KDN

The extension makes the move a bit more useful because the 2 ways to counter the extension on block is to jab it or SS it and what move beats those two options? Spoilers, itís FC df2. Just be wary of your opponent doing SS~df but you can vary your timing to screw that up along with FC d4. If (FC 3+4),3 connects on hit/CH, it puts them facedown in front of Asuka so you can dash 1+4 to pick up quickstand/backroll and dash 3~4 to hit remain/siderolls.

SS2 - mid, 31, i13, -12/KDN/KDN

A very evasive panic move, it almost acts as a double SS, you do the SS then she steps a little bit more on SS2 On hit, it grants a safe tag which makes this move extremely useful in TTT2. It can become a nightmare at the wall (think of it as an unsafe version of Bobís ss1+2 with more evasion). This is one of the moves that makes Asuka the best anti pitbull char in the game imo.

SS4 - high, 24, i17, -6/+7/Launch

Like UF3, this move is a pretty hard to whiff punish CH launcher keepout move, it also has a bit of high crush properties as Asuka swings her head away to kick. Useful to make your opponent reconsider their approach and as previously mentioned, itís pretty hard to whiff punish.

f1 - mid, 22, i20, -7/+4/+4

This is the same as her (1),1 string and it has the same followups as well, f1,4 = 1,1,4, f1,d4 = 1,1,d4 etc. This isnít a really useful string imo, the only useful thing out of it is f1,d4 in ki charge setups (will talk about that later) as f1,d4 is a CH launcher.

Last edited by Fergus on Aug 5th, 2015 at 23:07

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
3) Summary Of Breakdown

NH Launchers

1+2
DF2
B3
F2
3+4
F4
DB2
UF4
WS3
3~4
FF4
(1+4,2)d4
(F1)D4 and (1,1)D4

CH Launchers

Magic 4
D3+4
B4
UF3
D2
WS1+2
(2,1)1+2
DB4,3
(1,1)3
(F1),3
FC DF2
SS4
F1,D4
(DF1),4
DF1+2 (On triggering vs lows)
(DB4),4
2+3 (On triggering vs punches)
(2,1)1+2
(1,1)4 and (F1)4

Homing Moves

F4
FF3

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 24th, 2015 at 00:14

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
4) Punishers

Standing Punishment

i10 - 1 (10 damage, +9 on hit)

i11 - 4 (24 damage, +7 on hit)

i12 - 2,1 (25 damage, +8 on hit)
i12 - 2,3 (39 damage, KDN and W!)

i14 - 3,1 (39 damage, +2 on hit)
i14 - uf2 (47 damage, KDN)

i15 - df2 (18 damage launcher, doesn't launch crouch)
i15 - f1+2 (43 damage, KDN for pushback moves such as Heihachi ff2)

i16 - 1+2 (28 damage launcher)

i17 - f2 (27 damage launcher, amazing for pushback moves like Law's ws2)

Ws Punishment

i10 - FC d1 (6 damage, +6 on hit)

i11 - WS4 (20 damage, +8~+9 on hit)

i14 - WS2,1 (37 damage, +6 on hit)
i14 - UF2(47 damage, KDN, only on non FC moves)

i15 - ws1,4 (50 damage, KDN and w!)

i17/i18 - CC 1+2 (28 damage launcher)

i19 - WS3 (27 damage launcher, FUFA launcher)

i20 - uf4 (33 damage launcher)

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
5) Combos

DF2/F2 or launcher~5

The damage values are taken off df2

b2,1,3 dash 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 72

uf3 df1>2 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 71

1+2/b4 CH

The damage values are taken off 1+2

db4,3 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 79

WS4 2,1 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 78

F4

dash 1+4, b4,2 b! ff2,1 - 66

3~4

ws4 dash 1+4, 2,1,1+2 b! db4,3 (It doesn't work on Ling/Miharu, ws4 whiffs)

D2 CH

1+4,2 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 72 (100% consistent combo)

df1, 2,1, 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 75 (but df1 can whiff if you connect d2 from further out)

Magic 4

dash 1+4,2, 2,1,1+2 b! ff2,1 - 69

Combos to use for TA

2 hits
f4 d2 b!

3 hits
f1,3 d2 b!
or
db4,3 d2 b!

4 hits
b2,1,3, d2 b!

5 hits
b2,1,3 dash b4,2 b!
or
f1,3 2,1,1+2 b!

6 hits
b2,1,3 dash 2,1,1+2 b!

Wall Carry

This is for DF2/F2 etc, damage is taken from df2 and the list is roughly shortest to longest carry,

b213 f1+2 - 54

db4,3 ff2,1 -53

b2,4,3 ff2,1 - 58

4 dash 1+4 b2,4,3 - 54

This is for 1+2/b4 CH/UF3 CH, damage is taken from 1+2

db4,3 2,3 - 59

db4,3 ff2,1 - 63

WS4 dash 1+4 b2,4,3 (1+2 and b4 CH only)

Wall Combos

w! b4,2 b! B213 is her max damage solo

TA Fillers

OPEN:

db43
b243
2,3 (For very close to wall to get a high splat)
2,1,1+2~b (TA transition cancel to use near wall)
b3,4,3 (For 2 hit insta bound moves, Jun uf4,3, Alisa uf44, Lars fb21 etc.)

WALL:

b2,1>d4 (d4 hits for 60%)
b3,4,3
b2,1>4 (For grab enders ie Julia df3+4, Marduk's grab)

TA Enders

OPEN:

WR3/F1+2

WALL:

df1,4
b4,2 (on smaller chars)
ff2,1+2 (very situational, think Junís 2,1,4,1)

Asuka As The Launcher

As stated already, Asuka is one of the best characters for providing combos for her partner, if you have a character that can convert very well and carry far, he/she is most likely strong with Asuka. Asuka can essentially tag buffer off nearly all of her NH launchers and most of her CH launchers. Itís up to her partner on how well they can convert off that.

Here is a document Iíve made with help from others on what combos Asukaís partners can get off her launch db4,3~5 (Still a work in progress for f4 combos as of 23/02/2015)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...RqrhM8WjhQ/edit

Last edited by Fergus on Aug 24th, 2015 at 12:39

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
6) Okizeme

Throw Okizeme

1+3

d1 will float quickstand and backroll then you do CC 1+4 2,1,1+2 b! to combo off it.

F2 will hit remain and siderolls both ways

3~4 will also hit remains and siderolls both ways and act as a low option while f2 acts as mid option on quickstand

1+4 will pickup backrolls as well, but better to use d1 to cover quickstand as well

2+4

df1 will float quickstand into 2,1 2,1,1+2 b!

3~4 will hit remain and siderolls both directions

f2 will hit sideroll right but not left.

b1+2

Backroll, you can run up and do b214 in the back, timing is a little strict, f2 is much easier.

Nothing on quickstand but you're in range for a non CHable db3 and d2.

Slight walk 3~4 will catch remains and siderolls both directions

df2+3

f2 will catch people quickstanding in the back

dash 3~4 will hit remains and siderolls both directions

On backroll, you can do dash b214 in the back, bit strict, f2 is much easier (again)

Getup kicks will whiff at this range, easy f2 whiff punish, d2 will CH getup kicks, but db3 will trade

B2+4_B1+3

Asuka's reversal on punches (regardless if 1 or 2)

Sends them too far for anything, but you do get a safe raw tag.

Asuka's reversal on left leg will allow her to.. (It leaves them FUFA in front of her)

Get df4/generic d4 on quickstand (hits them BT)

3~4 on remains and siderolls.

Dash b214 on backroll to catch them BT (f2 is easier)

Asuka's reversal on right leg will allow her to..

Float quickstand with df1

3~4 on remains and siderolls.

1+4 to pick up backrolls.

Ki Charge

Asuka is one of the best characters in the game for ki charge tech traps imo. Ki charge is an extremely risky form of okizeme but it can essentially grant you the round if successful. A ki charge will give Asukaís next move automatic CH status but she cannot block, so if your opponent guesses correctly on the mixup, it can be very costly for you (a nice tactic I like to use is, use a safe mid for my mid option in the 50/50 and if they block it, do her reversal to blow up their attempt to hit her then tag out as reversal vs punches gives a safe tag out)

The idea behind the concept is, you obtain enough advantage to ki charge (post b!, as a TA filler, after certain KDN moves etc.) and your opponent gets up and is forced to eat a 50/50 between her plethora of mids and db4,3/cancans for low. Personally I prefer db4,3 because it does more damage and post launch combo is nice. For mids, it depends on how confident I am. D2 would be a ďsaferĒ option as you can still do stuff on block to try and escape (as mentioned above) or f1,d4 for damage as Asuka can break 100 by herself.

A bad habit I see Asukas do in this scenerio is go for her ki charge tackle which is unbreakable, but the point of your opponent mashing tech to getup is by instinct, if they tech and eat the tackle, they know not to get back up again afterwards and just eat your grounded hit while ki charged.

Last edited by Fergus on Aug 27th, 2015 at 00:07

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
7) General Strategy

Range 0~1 - Slightly away from opp
Range 2 - 2 backdashes away

Range 0~1

Within this range, Asuka has the ability to force her opponent to freeze and hesitate with her multitude of jab strings to make the opponent guess on when their ďturnĒ is. Asuka can keep the opponent on their toes with small mixups such as 1,1 and 1,3_1,4 and keep the opponent waiting on stuff to happen. Asuka can punish this pause in the opponentís timing with lows such as db3, fc df2, generic d4, db4 etc. She can also harass the opponent with little FC mixups that can add up pretty fast, mainly FC df2 and various mids from it like ws4, ws2, ws1+2 etc. Keep their stepping in check with f4, go for CH fishing with b4, df1,2_df1,4, d3+4, magic 4. Get some hard reads in with db2 vs jabs for a combo. Play mindgames with f3 and cancels. Catch them ducking/twitching with 1+2, 3,1, df1, ff2 strings etc All this while keeping df2/f2 on lock to whiff punish via backdash cancelling or stepping upclose to bait whiffs.

Range 2

Asukaís stronger range in my opinion.

At this range, moves like db3 and d2 comes in use. db3 gives Asuka +4 to work with and the opponent is in crouching so that means, if Asuka is on P2 side, and she hits the opponent with db3, they cannot step another db3 as they canít SSR db3 on P1 side which is the weak side of db3. When your opponent is getting fed up of being harassed by db3, d2 will rear itís ugly head. d2 leaves the opponent in FC at -4/+9 and d2 into another d2 cannot be interrupted or stepped, the only way to beat it is do trade with a down jab which is in Asukaís favour. These 2 moves alone, especially when Asuka is on P2 side can make your opponentís life hell.

Asuka can also force her opponent to respect her approach with ff3 due to itís range and high crush ability. With the opponent being cautious of this and the 2 moves above, Asuka can start to close the gap with f2~d_ws1+2~d to slide into range 0~1 and commence her range 0~1 gameplan.

Now when the opponent wants to approach Asuka, this is where sheís very strong. With keepout tools like uf3, b4, b3, magic 4, d2 etc, she can really control how her opponent approaches her and runs into range 0~1 with buttons when they freeze up vs her keepout game.

And of course, with these options in mind at range 0~1 and 2, keep df2_f2 on lock to whiff punish everything

Honestly, Asukaís movelist allows you to get pretty creative with her in terms of pressuring, itís why I think sheís such a fun character, she has so many options everywhere. She essentially uses her dominating options to force hesitation from the opponent and sets the pace of the match and uses that hesitation to frustrate the opponent and forces them to challenge her to stop what sheís doing.

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 4th, 2016 at 21:01

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
8) Wall Game

Asuka has a really underrated wall game, not many people even consider her actually being good at the wall, but she is! Quite a few of her moves becomes a lot stronger at the wall, I will cover some of those moves now.

Moves that shines at the wall

d1+2 - this move becomes extremely good at the wall as they cannot backdash from it. On hit, this move gives a free 3~4 turning it into an unseeable 49 damage (if they remained) or 40 damage if they tried to quickstand + a mini combo with fc d4 for 6 extra damage so 46. You can actually do ws4 to float them if they attempt to getup into a clean wallsplat by just backing up a little then doing ws4 and youíll get a clean wallsplat into a b42/d2

db3 - +4 OC point blank, sounds good to me! But it is a little slow but you have a lot to make them freeze up over.

FC df2 - Unlike in open, they cannot backdash a 2nd fc df2 post fc df2 on hit with the wall to their back, so you can really spam this move with itís absurd tracking. If they try to retaliate with mids (as highs will whiff on fc df2 spam cuz sheís FC) you can do ws4 to beat them out. If the move connects on CH, itís most likely round over for them with fc df2 into WS1,4_ff2,1+2 Extremely good and extremely annoying with opps back to the wall.

ff2,1_ff2,1+2 - A mid string with both options wallsplatting. You can scare people with the mid extension if they attempt to duck ff2,1. Risk/reward becomes heavily in your favour with the opponent stuck at the wall vs this move. ff2,1 gives 49 damage splat as well as being hitconfirmable ff2,1+2 gives a 54 damage splat as well as acting as a mid option for when they want to duck ff2,1 Itís also important to note that, similar to Lawís b4,3, ff2,1+2 always seems to give a clean wallsplat, even if the opponent is a bit away from the wall. Making it a good raw tag punisher if youíre on point.

ss2 - Treat this like Bobís SS1+2 but unsafer with more evasion. You can harass your opponent with stuff on block ie jab strings, df1, d4 etc then make them fear ss2 as it wallsplats, this move makes her extremely annoying at the wall as it forces your opponent to really think about picking their moments to retaliate.

2,3 - i12 punisher that wallsplats, really good for getup 4s etc. Splats for 39 damage which is a pretty damaging starter for a wall combo. Good as a quick whiff punisher as well.

b2,1+2,4 - i15 hitconfirmable CH string, should be self explanatory on why itís good. Refer back to the movelist breakdown on the specific properties of this move in terms of delays, NCc windows etc.

ff3 - Safe mid homing move with range. Comes in use when your opponent wants to try and escape the wall by stepping, they can just eat this into a wallsplat for their efforts.

df1,2_df1,4 - The reward for landing df1,4 shoots up with their back to the wall as it wallsplats, so ducking df1,2 becomes a lot scarier for them to do. Almost allowing you to ďget awayĒ with free attempts at df1,2 CHs

1+4,2,d4_1+4,2,4 - I have yet to find a setup which allows me to bypass them being able to down jab after 1+4, maybe on a setup where they tech into it. Will update this bit with any success I have. Itíll essentially make this string a rewarding 50/50 because of the mid option wallsplatting as well as bounding off the low option.

Last edited by Fergus on Mar 12th, 2015 at 18:15

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
9) Top Partners And Why

To be written...

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 24th, 2015 at 18:30

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
10) Conclusion and Thanks

I hope youíve enjoyed the guide, I know there was a lot but I hope it wasnít too overwhelming . I want to give thanks to certain people that has helped me a lot with the guide in terms of feedback, labbing some stuff with me and helping me out with db4,3~5 combos (credits given in the doc)

Speedkicks, ForeverUryu, Yomabuddy, Xelnega, Iron Lobster, Pichu, Dilly, Isa, Hades and so on. (Oh and Noodlehead for changing the title!)

Hopefully in the future, Iíll be able to do a video adaption of this guide but I have poor editing skills so I donít know how that will work out. If people like this guide enough, I may consider doing one for Jun Kazama. I also may add some sections in this guide in the future, maybe anti-Asuka etc but I got all the info I wanted down for now.

If you see any mistakes, please contact me either here, FB, twitch or skype and Iíll correct it as fast as I can.

Last edited by Fergus on Feb 24th, 2015 at 19:00

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Reserved

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Reserved

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Reserved

Fergus
Kazama Slamma
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
Ok you can post now!

LukeSoySauce
3rd Dan
PSN: Zi-StaticKz-iZ
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Jesus you have this POST ON LOCKDOWN FERG! goodieeeees KAZAMAS <3
Signature Mains:
Subs: , Bruce, Kazuya, AK, Hwoarang, Miguel, Heihachi and Dragunov. Use more characters, understand their play-style and moves along with block punishment; you'll be fine.

LukeLive
Virtuoso
PSN: oInsanity
XBL: Sanity VII
Mr Adam0
Dirty Ninja Tricks
XBL: Mr Adam0
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
Good stuff Fergus, TZ needs more of this. I should speak to PERY_CDB