Sergei Dragunov in Tekken 7

Page Splits <1234>...15
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#21 “Quote” Edit Post
Drag has a fairly impressive amount of throws, and then cool stuff like the low reversal and the living dead-but yeah-I think a few more and he'd still fall into that sorta perfect niche between 'striker' and 'grappler'(which i admit I like him at). Really a ground throw, air and/or wall throw, and an added non auto multipart along with a couple of strikes I mentioned and he could be set. They did give him some pretty creative throws and takedowns like his d/f+3, his u/f 3+4, how his d/b+3 shifts on CH, etc.

Auto multipart-yeah, wouldn't want to see anything too cheap on him. One of the things I like about Drag is his basic lack of 'cheese' that other characters have. (I use the term loosely, I rarely think a move is flat out cheap, but I think you know what I mean.) I kinda think that his current side throw-that brutal thing where he smashes their thighbone with a stomp and then breaks their other leg-it so seems like he should be able to follow that up with something.

And you're probably right with the RAs-I kinda wonder if they could have won there either way with people. Make them totally original like King and people will want to do that move normally. (Drag's is cool in the way he winds up for it as well with his 'hmmm...')

As a fun off topic aside, I always thought his height was mis-recorded. If he stands straight he's like an entire head taller than the 5'11 Kazuya in a win pose, when he stands fully straight. But the bound is pretty funny looking even if his height was mis recorded-the kick at the end for me makes up for it though for me. My buddy calls it 'Execution, Drag style'.
Signature

I scribbled a Tekken Retrospective.
Originally posted by Kane:
they named it matterhorn because lili's uphill battle in tekken is the highest mountain to climb.
sandilord
Destructive Impulse
PSN: Sandilord
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
Just to clarify: I mentioned the auto-multithrow as the animation for his RA, not as a standard move. And while I do like the ff3 ender, he should just break stuff.
I disagree on the whole 'can't be a new move' thing. It's like saying you can't have fatalities in MK just because they look unique and can't be done in the regular fight. It's just that you can only use it under a certain condition.

Groundthrow and wallthrow seconded. I've been missing those as well. Airthrow not so much. Maybe a reversal on an airborne attacking opponent would fit better. Something like grabbing their leg in air, slamming them down into the ground and kicking them in the crotch or inner thigh while still holding on to the leg.
Signature s3:
Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
PSN: Kiaruda
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
I wouldn't have a problem with RAs having exclusive moves but I can almost guarantee you that some fans would complain about not having access to that outside of the Rage Arts. Then again, Tekken fans are always complaining about something so it wouldn't be a big loss for Namco anyway.

The one thing that I like about Dragunov's throws aside from being visually pleasant to watch are the wake-up options they give. He has a load of throws which basically force the opponent to stay down to avoid taking a big hit or two. However, Dragunov needs more throws. His existing ones should definitely not be replaced other than his Ultimate Tackle - yes, his Tackle is very unique but they could replace that with another command throw. I fully agree on ground throw and air throw, maybe even a Drag-exclusive wall-splatting throw that only works when you have your opponent's back against the wall.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
I too personally wouldn't care if they were exclusive but yeah, what Kiaruda said. No matter what gets done, yeah. I mentioned them being a little lazy with them but at the end of the day I'm not uber super bothered.

And damn, yeah. A Drag exclusive throw with the opponents back to the wall could be useful and look great.It could give him more options at the wall(they are toning down wall game, yeah), but it could make for a surprise.

If had to assemble an RA for Drag, I personally think a mix up of new and excisting moves could have worked-like grab them and break something, break something else, break their leg to ground them, then end it with a d+3+4 to the face. That could all look brutal as hell.

Last edited by Azaael on Dec 4th, 2014 at 17:29

Signature

they named it matterhorn because lili's uphill battle in tekken is the highest mountain to climb.
Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
Looking at the new T7 trailer, it can be confirmed that Dragunov's b+1,2 now gives the Kirimomi stun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWfwOKVuiFw#t=0m48s
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Ahh yes, managed to watch it bigger finally. Saw that, plus that whole CH combo he has there in general that looks pretty awesome. u/f+2 as mentioned in his character thread has that CH launch now. I kinda wonder ifa round of his f3 d/f CDc could have been worked into that combo in the vid. Depends how much they cut down stuff I suppose.

I cannot complain so far with his direction. I just want to now see what new actual moves Harada has planned for him.
Signature

Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm wondering if other characters have moves that give that Drag u/f+2 bounce launch. Something like Feng's u+2 might, though it might stay exclusive to Dragunov.

I'm sure Drag's f+3 CDc stuff can be implemented in his combos. The combos shown in these trailers are never the optimal ones, they just show off a few things that are possible.

My only complaint about Dragunov so far is his model - and while we're at it, all of the models. They're very shiny and plastic-looking. I hope that will be fixed upon the final release.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
They do have a bit of a shiny look, aye. And yeah, exhibition combos are more or less just that, I a more wondering how much stuff is toned down besides the wallgame.

Non gameplay wise, I do admit to being curious about his new non custom outfits. Octocamo is a custom, but I wonder if they're going to change one or both. (FWIW I usually picked his more field camo based stuff for a preference.)

He does seem to have actual facial expressions now. Ok, one, and thats the snarl before he kicks them in the RA. ;p
Signature

Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
They should definitely give him more outfits, preferably one with the Ushanka on. Maybe even a coat similar to what Miguel had in T6.

The two hair strands that Dragunov has hanging loosely from his hair also look really weird. In fact, all of his hair looks weird. Feels like the part that is ponytailed is actually longer than the rest of his hair but that might just be my eyes deceiving me. The shine is stupid, though. I understand if his leather boots and gloves shine but his hair and the entire outfit are also shining. The outfit already has a little bit of shine in TR.
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
So... Drag looks very strong lol
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
Hehe, yeah I think maybe this front page thread ought to be updated, we've mostly been talking Drag changes in the other forum.

My face about most of the Dragunov changes: http://i.imgur.com/0zHzHEe.gif

Basically he's gotten a shitload of buffs and one *potential* nerf(WS 1+2 might be -15 instead of -14 now, but can't 100% confirm that from the video we saw it.)

Will go ahead and clean up and update the top post with shit.
Signature

dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#32 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Azaael
clean up and update the top post with shit.

Dragunov gets latrine duty...
Signature Bring back [alex] for T7!
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Azaael
Hehe, yeah I think maybe this front page thread ought to be updated, we've mostly been talking Drag changes in the other forum.

My face about most of the Dragunov changes: http://i.imgur.com/0zHzHEe.gif

Basically he's gotten a shitload of buffs and one *potential* nerf(WS 1+2 might be -15 instead of -14 now, but can't 100% confirm that from the video we saw it.)

Will go ahead and clean up and update the top post with shit.

lol that is the smallest of nerfs I've ever heard of... was Namco even thinking?

Also, I don't think moves that flip the opponent give a guaranteed stomp, case in point...

http://gfycat.com/PerkyDesertedAntipodesgreenparakeet
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
tmd02
YYYEEESSSS!!!
PSN: revolverturles
XBL: FOTTOM
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
I bet the stomp will whiff if they back roll, but some hit are counted as part of a combo right? i.e. Ling W! f+3,1,1+2 (that new property), d/f+2,1 should count as part of a combo, not a ground hit on would presume.

Maybe with Drag you can get iWR+2, d+2,1,4 pick up or 4,3, d+4,1,3.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
I saw that; I guess we'll have to see how that one plays out.

On the bright side, Drag's stomp has the OS. Which means I think if they do the quick get up, the d+3 could hit into a d+3, 4 ass stun. (If that gets blocked, the 4 is only -11 on block.)

(If they block his stomp, his is still apparently the safest in the game at -11 to boot, so at worst he's getting an i11 punisher. Folks with -13 or launch punishable ones though will have to be careful for sure.)

If I remember they took out back roll, didn't they?

Other pick up options could work as well I think, perhaps, though the oki nerf is here.

Last edited by Azaael on Feb 19th, 2015 at 10:57

Signature

Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
#36 “Quote” Edit Post
I wonder if you can backroll catch that new 'bound ender' backroll at the wall. It won't be so evasive due to the wall being there and it looks like the recovery isn't too good either so I imagine Drag would be able to re-splat with u/f+3 or b+4,3.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
True that. There are more and more videos coming out lately, so hopefully someone tries that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKCiqBPcjG0#t=40

Also u/f+4 shenanigans.
Signature

Kiaruda
Dragon Lord
#38 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm thinking it's just wishful thinking on my part that the back roll catch would work at the wall. I think that if anything is guaranteed, it's a single hit that will just re-ground the opponent similarly to what happens if you try a back roll catch in TR.

But I am glad Dragunov received some buffs. Not that there's anything wrong with him in TTT2, but I think the buffs might make people take him a bit more seriously now. I'm loving his u/f+2 buff now - finally some use for that move.

It's a shame that CH (4),4 won't give a full tailspin combo nor will f+1+2 but with the buffs he's received, it's not really a big loss. After all, it's a mechanic change that affects everyone and Drag at least still gets something after those launchers.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#39 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, I mean, I can see why they don't want double tailspins; simply put I think it would straight up affect some way, way more than others; a mechanic buff/nerf that would be too extreme, unlike, say, SS nerfs helping those without as good of a tracking move collection just a little bit.

The other option would have been to homogenize everyone into, say, 'two punisher tailspins and two non punisher tailspins' or something of that nature, and I think that may have been a bit on the boring side. That and I'm sure if they had multiple tailspins Kazuya would have fit three in a 20 hit, 170 damage combo somewhere.

Yeah I'm kinda happy that Drag's got buffs, and that they have mostly gone uncomplained, heh. It's not often that a high tier character gets *buffed* and doesn't get bitched about(there's been some joking to be sure, but no real salt.) Like Kaz gets buffed and it's 'Holy shit Mishimas have to be on top regardless wtf,' Drag gets them and it's either 'lol what, hahah', or 'Good for him.' I mean the guy was in most of the top players it seems top 10 or top 12 by the end of TTT2's lifespan if you look at the tier lists.

My gut is telling me that u/f+4 stuff might only be sometimes, but damn, I do like that(EDIT: Confirmed that player splatted to the right, which is standard then, no change here, I missed the wall lines at the bottom). Also, thinking more, I really do think that new flop-over recovery thing is not going to hurt Drag too much thanks to the number of options the guy gets. In some way or form the jackboot is going to find it's way into the enemies face.

Also this Paul vid is pretty good, IMO. It doesn't show much new(the 4 in the d/f+1,4 managed to finally get ducked here, but since I've only seen it ducked this once I'm going to hope they made it's hitbox different enough that it's harder to do so), but this, along with the Steve vid after(they are linked at the top but why not) really shows the aggressive hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_NvZiJ9KJ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKCiqBPcjG0

Last edited by Azaael on Feb 19th, 2015 at 15:08

Signature

Adventen
5th Dan
PSN: UBNOUNDEDraider
XBL: DuplexHydra
#40 “Quote” Edit Post
The buff I'm most excited for is uf+2 being a NH launcher(looks like it too me). An orbital elbow will make Drag's wiff punishing even better. I wonder what kind of nickname peeps will come up for it. The peoples elbow? Crashing sputnik? Falling Laika? Putin's Bootin? uhh Im bad at names
Signature "It's easier to criticize than to do better"

Number ONE Steppin' up, SPIT THE FIRE AND I'LL BACK IT UP
(i'm not that great *wimpers*)