How to get in with Roger?

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
123mine123
Expert
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
I don't have a console so I have no way in practicing whenever I want.
But I do play in the arcade and I can't just waste money practicing when I have no idea what the heck I'm doing! xD
So after getting my old team (Lee/Jaycee) to rank Fighter and getting 500+ wins with them I got bored so I decided to go for a new character.
And I chose what people considered a low tier character.
Also it's a freaking kangaroo!

Ok back on topic, so paired Roger with Bruce and I don't have problems with their TA combos nor with Bruce.
But Rogers' punch range is so short I always need to be near to my opponent to continue to pressure my opponent.
I know all the frame advantage moves and mix ups so I think I'm fine with my pressure and mind games.

TL; DR I'm fine most of the stuff with Roger but I can't seem to get near to my opponent without getting hit with their spacing.
Signature I'll miss you Roger.. T^T
glassbox47
Virtuoso
PSN: GlassBox47
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
1+2 moves you in and i think is 0 on block, you can mix up out of it, or not.

so like, 1+2, df+1, 1+2, df+1, GS

and sidestepping quickly after 1+2 works pretty good until they catch on

Or, play differently and poke from a distance with d+2, df+3(3), d+3+4 and gtfo with back dashes

I'm a bit noobish, but thats generally what i'm going for
amphreded
Iron Fist God
PSN: amphreded
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
If your opponent spaces a lot there's no need for you to move in - space yourself and use Roger's tools according to the space between you and opponent.

From far distance you can do d+3+4 and u/f+1+2. d+3+4 is a great quick low with massive range. If you space well and use this from tip range, it's hard to punish by a lot of characters. d+3+4 on hit you can does ss to another d+3+4, or just ss or backdash to look for whiff. u/f+1+2 can be sidestepped easily so be careful, but it has long range, crushes low most of its animation, and leaves you very close on block. After u/f+1+2 on block you can 1+2 to catch steppers for plus frame, d/f+4 to beat most things, or sidestep to bait whiff. bb+4 is okay as well - very long range, gives many plus frame on block, though can be easily jabbed out into longer combo.
For the distance you can wavedash and do ws+4, attempts CH ff+2, single ws+2 or ws+3,3 or ws+3>3.

Then mid far distance, you can use d/f+3 plus d+2 and d/f+1 at their tip range. Range 1 you can d/f+4 and 1+2. Then range 0 you can initiate jab mixups. Though from any range it doesn't hurt to dash in and d/f+1 or jabs once in a while.
123mine123
Expert
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
OMG I just got home from the arcade!
I can't believe how good 1+2 (its actually -1 on block, which is still very good)is. I should've spammed it more before! xD
Now, I just need to improve more of my wave dash and get used to using f,f+2 more.
amphreded
Iron Fist God
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
1+2 is +1 on block
123mine123
Expert
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by amphreded
1+2 is +1 on block

Some frame data said -1, some said +1, and some is +2
I don't really know what the real one is, but its still pretty good on block.
JiveTurkeyJones
7th Dan
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by 123mine123
Some frame data said -1, some said +1, and some is +2
I don't really know what the real one is, but its still pretty good on block.

It's +1 on block.

The confusion comes in because in T6, it was +1 on block. For some reason, Namco nerfed it when TTT2 first released, making it -1 on block. They eventually restored it to +1 on block when it updated. (Console version is based on the updated Arcade version of TTT2:Unlimited) This means both current console and arcade version have the move as +1 on block.

Some frame data still reflects the initial release frame data of -1 on block... it's just outdated frame data.

The reason why some current frame data list it as +1~+2, meaning it could be +2... is because apparently it can in some super rare situational circumstance. (There are actually several characters with moves like this) But trust me, I've never found it to be +2 on block with countless testing on tons of setups. Whenever it's blocked, assume it's +1 on block. Just remember that if your follow up is a jab, high crush moves and crouching jabs still beat you out at even at +1 on block (because they go under your jab). You can use df+4 to stop crush attempts as suggested by other players in the forum...but understand that by doing so, you run the risk of eating a 10 frame jab string from the opponent.

Last edited by JiveTurkeyJones on Jul 16th, 2013 at 04:36

123mine123
Expert
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by JiveTurkeyJones
Just remember that if your follow up is a jab, high crush moves and crouching jabs still beat you out at even at +1 on block (because they go under your jab). You can use df+4 to stop crush attempts as suggested by other players in the forum...but understand that by doing so, you run the risk of eating a 10 frame jab string from the opponent.

I did come across people crouching and crouch jabbing after they blocked 1+2.
But the mix-up I always do is 1+2,3.
Yeah it's -14, but at least it ain't launch punishable to almost all characters.
glassbox47
Virtuoso
PSN: GlassBox47
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
if they crouch HOP KICK THEIR FACE.
amphreded
Iron Fist God
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
After 1+2 on block, if you think they'll:

Jabs or any 10f moves - Roger can get 122, 123 or 121 CH or d+2/d+3+4 high crush, or duck punish
Crouch or input 12f or slower mids - Roger can d/f+4 to beat them and be +6
Sidestep - d/f+4 will track one side, another 1+2 will catch
Crouch jab - hop kick or better sidestep then hopkick (safer)
Standing Guard - throws, another 1+2 for +1 on block, d+2
Crouch - any mids

You can also do crouch jab yourself which will beat a lot of option and open up a new mixup.
123mine123
Expert
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Whoa, I can't believe it has been almost a year. And I'm still having fun using Roger!
I've really learned a lot, but am still learning new stuff when it comes to strategies.
So far, these are what I usually do when I pressure my opponents or when I try to get in.

----------------------------------------------
When trying to get in:
u/f1+2 to 1+2 (when they want to side step)
u/f1+2 to 1,2
u/f1+2 to hopkick (I've noticed some people doing crouch jabs and crouched moves everytime they block this move)
forward dash to 1+2
forward dash to 1 (usually followed by d/f1 or 1+2)
forward dash to 1,2<1 or 1,2~ROC
forward dash to d/f1
forward dash to d/f3 (finish string when they like to interrupt)
CD WS2 to giant swing
CD WS4 to sidestep (I rarely do this though, my crouch isn't that great on 1 player side)
d3+4 (to WS4, SS or crouch cancel to another d3,4 or d/f1)
CD FC3+4 (to make people crouch when I CD or for a higher damaging d3+4)

While pressuring:

d/f1 to d/f1
d/f1 to d/f1<2
d/f1 to d2
d/f1 to d/f4
d/f1 to GS
d/f1 to 1+2
d/f1 to delayed 2
(when hit) d/f1,2 to 2,1 (when I think they would press a button)
(when hit) d/f1,2 to 1,2~ROC (when I think they would block)
(when hit) d/f1,2 to d/f1
(when hit) d/f1,2 to GS
(when hit) d/f1,2 to d2
(when blocked) d/f1,2 to d2
(when blocked) d/f1,2 to SS
(when blocked) d/f1,2 to back dash the heck out of there
1+2 to GS
1+2 to Tombstone
1+2,3
1+2 to d2
1+2 to 1,2~ROC or 1,2<1
d2 to d2
d2 to d/f2
d2 to d/f3
d2 to d/f1
ROC3+4 to GS
ROC3+4 to Tombstone
ROC3+4 to d/f2
ROC3+4 to d2
ROC3+4 to d/f1
(when blocked)d/f4 to d2
(when hit)d/f4 to d/f2
d/f3 to GS
d/f3,3

After block or whiff punishing:

(look at when hit of d/f1,2)
2,1 to 1,2~ROC
2,1 to GS or Tombstone
2,1 to d2
2,1 to d/f1

Wall game:

d/f4 to 1,2,3 (hit confirm for counter hit and BAM, wallsplat)
1 to 1,2,3
d,2 to 1,2,3
1+2 to 1,2,3
d/f1,2 to 1,2,3
1+2 to d/f4
1+2 to d2
1,2~ROC to 1,2,3
1,2~ROC to GS or Tombstone
d/f4 to d2
d/f1 to 1,2,3
(and most d/f1 and d/f1,2 on the While Pressuring part above applies here too)

Other notes:

I sometimes simply do d4. How bad is this on block?
When doing d/f1,2, I try to hit confirm it the delayed 2 for higher damage and so it would be safe on block.
I rarely do DDT since I had the habit of just doing GS.
Most of the moves I mentioned when blocked (like d/f1,2 and 2,1) sometimes makes me do d/b1. Works most of the time. I don't do this always to avoid getting hopkicked.
Sometimes, I do 1,2 to d/f2, b,b4 to d/f 2, and simply d/f2 like how Lars does his d/f2.
I always forget to do SS4...
----------------------------------------------

I guess that's probably it. I hope I didn't miss some stuff.
If you guys think of a better or new strategy, or me doing something wrong, please tell me.
Roger is definitely now my fave character with his current moves in Tag 2, and maybe 7. I really love his play style and how you can make your opponent not know what to do.
Probably my best moment with Roger is when I got a perfect with him when I was having a Deathmatch with my friend because of the Jackpot chance. He was using his sub Jin/Hwoarang team and I out-pressured his Hwoarang. Ahhh...good times.
amphreded
Iron Fist God
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
For throws you can also add db,db+1+2 his 1+2 break throw.

d4 is -12 I believe.
If you get DDT instead of GS (i.e. wrong input), good option is to use b+3 afterward since it hits ground and safe. DDT floor breaks and doesn't change side, just a thought.
Duck jab to FC d+4 is pretty good. Roger's FC low kick barely moves him forward, making it hard to punish.
b+3 on block to ~db evade a lot of stuff and you can whiff punish things with fc d/f+2.
f+4 on block to BT d+4 or tag out is quite useful at times.

I've played him less lately, but yes, he's a very fun character to use

edit: oh and you should really try sidestepping after 1+2 on block. Actually you can sidestep after many instances. On top on my head would be, 1+2, 2,1, ws+2, d+2, and uf+1+2.
ghirlanda
Berserker
PSN: Tm-ghirlanda
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
also if you need to tag crush remember to use df3+4 into 2+5 in the moment roger hit the ground
Signature proud member - founder fer of TekkenMilano - the most active offline community in italy!
Follow us @tekkenmilano
Like us on Facebook.com/TekkenMilano
YT channel : youtube.com/TekkenMilano
Tournament Organizer - TTT2placements: - 2nd place@Rome national tournament- 2nd place@Venice National Tournament- 5th place@LTT(Livorno)- 5th place@THT(Milan)- 5th place @poison3.0 (Rome). t7 placement: 5th place @milangamesweek; 1st@LUCCAComicsAndGames; 2nd place at BattleDome