top 10 moves

Page Splits 123>
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Shinjin
Iron Fist God
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
I think it's about time for a top 10 moves thread.

1.d/f+1~b the sway transition feels a lot faster and personally i think this was his best change, you can really open people up with this now
2.qcb+4 this is what makes d/f+1 so good, in t6 you could just SW round everything after d/f+1 and this does just enough damage to keep people still.
3.d+1 still got a broken hit box that pisses people off at the end of the round.
4.qcf+2 punishment only, untill netsu starts a flashin, then it becomes a staple
5.1,2 spam
6.d/f+2 spam also
7.qcf+3 is basically free during netsu.
8.demoman i find i only do this at the wall now, and even then i'd prefer a throw mix up.

i only got 8 cos i really only use 8 moves......
Signature Bruck him for souf east, blud

look man the move doesnt track sidestep, but if you sidestep it will hit you
steves b+1 isint safe because it only auto guards high and mid, but you can cancel it and block all lows
Jaycees u/f+4,3 is launch punishable on block but if you try to punish it the 1 follow-up will hit you
Rain of Death
Raijin
PSN: DaLaziGamer
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
1. df+2 (safe mid launcher, pretty abusable)
2. qcf+2 (Huge damage, excellent whiff punisher)
3. ws+3 & ws+3,2 (A good ws combo which Paul needed, no point of using ws+2 since its so slow)
4. df+1 and df+1 to sway arts (good for mind games and sway can be cancelled into sidestep)
5. ff+2:1 and ff+2,1-cancel (good for killing sidestep people and has good range, but do not abuse it)
6. d4:2:1+2 (best juggle ender in most of Paul's combos)
7. d+1 (Great mid poke, and can set up while-crouching moves)
8. uf+3,4 aka Shedder Kicks (eats up any qcf, and f,d,df rush also dodges lows, for offensive opponents only, don't use on turtles)
9. qcb+2 and qcb+4 (Great moves from the sway arts, esp. if you land a CH qcb+4, damage is sick)
10. db+2 (great mid poke and has the potential to do more damage from CH)

Honorable mentions: qcf+4. Solid mid poke

Last edited by Rain of Death on Oct 22nd, 2012 at 23:37

Signature "Oh how sweet it is!"
Rain of Death
Raijin
PSN: DaLaziGamer
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Damn, I didn't mean to double post. I'd delete this if I could.
Signature "Oh how sweet it is!"
USMCOgre
Money Inc.
PSN: MoneyIncUSMCOgre
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Glad RoD added qcb2 and db2. I've started almost spamming them lol.
Signature The search for equality is a search for the lowest common denominator...
Toshinjin
Nooblet.
PSN: foxlyfe
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, only problem with db+2 is it's very linear, really hurts if you whiff it.... but awesome move.

*d+1+2 - for whiff punish, wall splat, fast interrupt move.

*d+3 & db+3 - can use at longish range for fast low poke.

*FC~df+2,1 - NC string, wall splats, can use to punish whiffs, good range, really hurts when on CH or Netsu.

*qcb+3 - ON CH, you can get CH qcb+3, ws+3, db+2, b+1,2 B! Having the qcb+3,2 follow up and being delayable helps this move on block. I dont use this enough, but I see potential.

*ss+1 - Killer block stun. Is 20 frames but comes out fast imo. When they block, if they do a move straight out of the block stun, it will basically whiff, just be ready to punish. Good to throw out if you are having trouble breaking them down. Also iirc you get combo on CH.

*df+4 - Safe, long range mid poke. On CH i think df+4, d+1+2 against wall is guaranteed? (saw it in a combo vid). I try to use this move as a get off me poke, as gives you a bit of push back on block.

*qcb+1+2 - fast, mid launcher. Not terribly great range, but if you are sway~ss'ing around and they whiff, this is usually fast enough to launch them. Is tagable for red life too.

*b+2 - slow, usually get interrupted.. but nice mid tracking move, stun on ch.

Then the rest of the moves in Shinjin's and Rain of Death's posts.

**Fixed input error.

Last edited by Toshinjin on Oct 24th, 2012 at 03:37

Signature
USMCOgre
Money Inc.
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
the stun on df4 can be broken, so nothing is guaranteed afterward. I didn't know that combo after CH qcb3. Good to know!
Signature The search for equality is a search for the lowest common denominator...
Toshinjin
Nooblet.
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Damn. I saw it in a combo vid... i think it was KYSG so assumed it was guaranteed (was against Marduk if that makes a difference, their back was against the wall), oh well.

*b+3 - 14 frame launcher, safe! Cant believe I forgot about this move.. will help against stuff like deviljins b+1,2!!!!! I wonder what other moves are -14..

* b+1+2 - What do you guys think about this move? If only it was mid...... Slow, but imo kind of like ss+1 where it comes out semi fast.

Moves I wish were better:

*f+1+2 - This move just feels like ass now. What did they do to it?

*d+1,4,2 - I hate that if the 4 hits the 2 can be blocked.... and i hate that d+1.4 is -17 on hit!!!!! If it wasnt so bad it would be awesome to use in his d+1 game.
Signature
Shinjin
Iron Fist God
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
i find that d/b+2 is too liner, and the way you sidestep it is the same side as ff+2,1 so i dont think it's thats great, qcb+2 is good but the range is just a little bit too short for my to really spam.

steves b+1 isint safe because it only auto guards high and mid, but you can cancel it and block all lows
Jaycees u/f+4,3 is launch punishable on block but if you try to punish it the 1 follow-up will hit you
Toshinjin
Nooblet.
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
If you are up in their face you can semi "spam" it.. I think people are scared of SS'ing Paul now thanks to qcb+4.

I see you talk a lot about spamming, but then I remember you saying something about HelpMe and how he is boring with paul because all he does is spams 1,2.
Signature
Shinjin
Iron Fist God
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
yeah i said helpme is boring to watch because he spams too much, i never said it wasen't effective, in fact i said spamming is super effective in TTT2.

Sugar Free
Raijin
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
In no order:

- d/f+2: i15 safe mid launcher with slight tracking and evading properties;
- d+1: i14 safe mid with a very low and broken (in a positive way ofc) hitbox;
- d/f+1~b and its followups: d/f+1 alone irritates me since it's i14 and -2 if blocked, differently from most d/f+1's which are 13 and neutral on block; ~b is what makes it good, also considering the ssl cancel and + frames on block;
- qcf+2: punishment i15 mid move which breaks mountains and dries oceans;
- b+3: safe i14 high launcher, which is a knee but has a shitty range;
- d+4:2:1+2 and qcf+d+4:2:1+2: i15 low, really usable only at distance 0 or to finish a combo (or as a filler in some occasions); the qcf input makes it really scary if used correctly tho;
- d/b+2: safe i16 mid poke which combo's on CH; I found it particularly useful after d/f+1~b when the opponent jabs after other standing d/f+1~b's mixups. Very linear tho;
- ff+2:1: i16 safe approaching mid-high move which catches ssers. Tho you can't really spam it since its launchable after flash ducking the 2nd hit;
- f+1+4: slow, mid, -14 on block, evading move which saves you from tight situations. Situational;

Well a list of nine but considering sway followups there are way more

Unfortunately, I personally find Paul not to be as solid as other characters: he has too many (too) unsafe moves, not really usable standing lows (with ss+3 being the best one), his magic 4 is i12 and very difficult to pull a combo out of and aside from qcf+4 no i13 standing moves; also i do not understand why his (d+1),4 causes a -31 stun on block and is -17 on hit...it used to trip the opponent on NH in previous Tekken games (before Tekken 6) if I'm not wrong, but what now..?
In high level play you are mostly reduced to use 1 hit moves and get very predictable very fast.
If he just had qcf+4 instead of his present d/f+4 he'd be a whole superior tier to me.
Fact his, you can almost 2 hit opponents with him, so I guess we cannot really complain, but I'd promptly give this up to make him more usable.

Last edited by Sugar Free on Dec 6th, 2012 at 23:14

Sk37ch
Legend
PSN: Sketchstation3
XBL: Sketch on 360
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
Paul Phoenix Top 10 Moves (My List in order of best as #1)

[1.] Phoenix Smasher
qcf+2
15f start up
-17f on block
KND on hit and CH

This is one of (in my opinion) the best/scariest whiff punishers in the game. This move, combined with demolition man, makes Paul's high risk/high reward game devastating to people who do not know how to deal with it. It is launch punishable on block, but the push-back makes it very difficult to punish for a lot of characters, while some characters have almost no answer for phoenix smasher. Even when blocked, top players are thankful that they didn't duck and don't punish it half the time. The tracking for this move is not that great, so it has to be used accordingly. Phoenix smasher is also arguably Paul's best TAC combo ender, and let's not forget that it W!. For those who haven't seen this, check out the damage on rage/CH (hasn't changed that much since T6):
Paul Tekken 6: Rage and CH

[2.] Demolition Man
d+4:2:1+2
15f start up
-33 on block
KND on hit and CH

This move is the reason people want to duck when being approached by Paul. I went through a phase where I refused to use this or Phoenix Smasher because of the frame data associated with them, but sometimes you have to play Paul for what he is; a high-risk high-reward character (key word; sometimes). Even when you do not use the low/mid phoenix smasher/demolition man mix up a lot, throwing in a raw demo man at least once a match is easy damage for you, gives good wall carry, and will W! at the right distance. This move should not be overused, though, due to the fact that it is extremely unsafe. And unlike phoenix smasher, the first hit does not have any push back and will (can) be answered with a delayed hopkick by a more skilled player. Besides all of that, this is Paul's best combo ender in solo combos and even has a place ending some TACs.

[3.] Bone Breaker
f,f+2;1
16f start up
-4 on block
KND on hit and CH

Also a great whiff punisher (with more range than phoenix smasher), bone breaker is a great tool that is safer than demo man and phoenix smasher. The f,f in this move helps Paul re-align with side steppers, giving this move some typing of tracking mechanism. The downside of bone breaker is that the second hit can be ducked and Paul can be launched in return. The usual answer for this is Paul's f,f+2,1 non-just frame variation (which can also be canceled for more mix up potential), however people familiar with these shenanigans will simply crouch punch after the first f,f+2 (this is pretty difficult to do on reaction, though, so not many players will do this). Overall, for people that like spacing, especially when an opponent's back is to the wall and you want a good wall splat, bone breaker is an essential tool to have in your Paul arsenal. I find it most helpful for catching people in between back dashes.

[4.] d/f+2 Uppercut Launcher
d/f+2
15f start up
-7 on block
Launches on hit and CH

This is one of Paul's two go-to launchers. I've seen the crushing ability on this move debated in forums and tournaments alike. It's range is nothing out of the ordinary; it's decent, but not great. While Lili and Dragunov's d/f+2s give them better launch punishing options, Paul's d/f+2 has limited launching capability when it comes to moves that push back. But it will get the job done for a decent amount of the launch punishable moves in Tekken, and the hit box (in my opinion) fares better than his hopkick in a lot of instances, so feel free to use it. If you throw this out in anticipation of someone running into it, you will often see how Paul's head and arms go under an opponent's highs when they try to attack you. The great thing about this is that there is no big repercussions for using this move; it is safe on block and gives you 3 frames to choose between ducking, SS/SW, or a reversal (assuming reversals become active in 3 frames or less) and thats IF you were to even anticipate the opponent would do a 10f move.

[5.] Body Blow (with string and sway cancel variations)
d/f+1...
14f start up
frames vary on block and hit depending on your follow up

Paul's nice d/f+1 has it's place in his safer close range game. This will smack opponents who like to duck when you do not want the high damage mix up of the #1 and #2 moves. d/f+1 by itself on block is -2, leaving plenty of time for sidestepping, side walking, or reversal mind games for people who will use frame data to retaliate on advantage. d/f+1,1 is a natural combo that is -5 on block and can be delayed. The skilled opponent's answer to this two hit string is ducking the second hit on anticipation and punishing being that it is high. Paul's answer to that is consecutive d/f+1s, or d/f+1~b sway stance mix ups. Also, d/f+1,1,2 is Paul's 3-hit string that is safe on block (although -9, which is a significant advantage), but a good way to test people or show them that sometimes you are crazy enough to finish strings. Paul's d/f+1~b is a great tool to really force people into tricky situations. It is +1 on block and +7 on hit, giving his sway stance moves decent advantage. All of the sway stance moves are accessible from this move, as well as a lot of Paul's other moves. Opponent's usually like to retaliate when they see/anticipate a d/f+1~b. Paul's movement is also available after sway, so don't forget to d/f+1~b into SS, SW, reversal, or duck when you notice people anticipating this move and using punishment (I favor d/f+1~b into SS and SW due to the distance I get for a whiff punish).

[6.] Hammer Punch and follow ups
d+1...
14f start up (this is what the frame data says, but I thought it was 15f...)
frames vary on block depending on your follow up

Hammer punch has been with Paul for a long while now. It has wonderful range, has a weird hit box, and has decent follow ups. You can leave Paul in crouch with d+1~d, or keep him standing with just d+1 (both -9 on block and +2 on hit respectively). If you like to play Paul's safer game, you can annoy people with d+1~d into crouching generic 4s for a bit, and when people start to duck you can start with d+1~d into ws+4. If you're a betting man (woman) and want to take advantage of the crush system, d+1~d into d/f+1+2 will crush highs for a full bound combo if you think your opponent will retaliate. This move is my preferred round-ender of choice, but sometimes it is Paul's only block punishment option for moves that have big pushback (it doesn't yield big damage. The damage is like 19-21 points or so). However, this move is where it's at one of Paul's CH NC strings; d+1,2. If you are willing to take the risk and know you are at a frame advantage, d+1,2 is a NC on CH and does over 50 damage. This is a great way to get a nice wall splat and juicy damage for an anticipated CH when your opponent is near the wall. But even for moves like Asuka and Jun's b+3, d+1 is Paul's easier option. And if you think our opponent is going to do follow up strings, your d+1,2 will give you that CH damage. d+1,2 is -17 on block but also has significant push back. So if you anticipate a failed block punish, be ready to duck after this move for a nice whiff punisher. d+1 by itself on hit is also a great set up for landing Paul's magic 4 for people who like to press buttons too much. Other options are; d+1,4,2, and d+1, hold 2. I usually only find d+1,4,2 useful as a wall combo (esp. after d/f+1~b) or in various non-bound combo juggle situations. I will occasionally use it to test peoples' knowledge on Paul when I wanna end a round with the low, but I do not do that too often as the low is launch punishable and a fuzzy parry by the opponent will take care of the "mix up" of d+1,2 and d+1,4,2 (less knowledgeable players fall for this mix up a lot. I used to love using this in the older Tekken's when d+1,4,2 wasn't so unsafe). I am not above using d+1, hold 2. Even though it is extremely interruptable, it has its place if you are constantly using d+1 and d+1~d by itself. It is +20 NG, which makes it a great bullying tactic and allows you to keep your offense going.

[7.] Shoulder Smash
d+1+2
12f start up
-16 on block
KND on hit and CH

Even though phoenix smasher and demo man are high risk high reward mix ups, they still have their place in high level tekken. Shoulder smash is just YOLO. But it has its place as being one of two 12f punishers, as well as a quick whiff punisher and even a high crush in some instances. At times, if your opponents back is to the wall and they block something like Paul's 1,2, they will be at an advantage and may attempt a 1 or another attack. Shoulder smash will crush that. It is also difficult for a lot of players to punish properly, as lots of quick shoulders in Tekken are in fact launch punishable but slight block stun makes them hard to block punish correctly on reaction. This move also has a big vertical hit box; if you do a wall TAC and are unsure how many hits you have already used up and Paul is on point, instead of ending it with demo man or d+1,4,2, a simple shoulder smash will do the job. This move has its place in a match; I personally never do it raw but only use it for block punishing, whiff punishing, wall splat wagering, and in wall combos. But even when you are starting out using Paul, don't be scared to throw this move out. You get a knock down for it and your opponent will just think you are crazy for doing it in the first place.

[8.] A Low of your choice

You need a low that is not demolition man for nice chip damage to poke people with. This will give people other reasons to duck and will not completely destroy you if they block these lows (as even the ones that are launch punishable are difficult to launch on block due to hard reads as well as range). Paul has the following for use;

-d/b+4 (generic crouching 4)
No matter who you play with in Tekken, I feel like at some point you should make use of the characters's crouching 4. I will start matches off with this move like 10% of the time, and use it after d+1~d sometimes for extra damage. Keep in mind that crouching 4s are launch punishable on block.

-d/b+3
This move crushes highs and has agreeable range for what it's worth. This move is also launch punishable on block. However, it serves its place as being one of the best moves to hit opponents with that mess up strings or mix ups and wind up on the floor and you are unsure of the correct way to step or punish. This move is my answer to when Lei misses one of his lay moves or chreddys go into relax after a failed attempt to hit me, or I block Armor kings 3+4,2 and don't know the correct way to hit them for max damage.

-b+4
This is my favorite low from Paul out of all of the lows that are not in strings. It is the only one out of that bunch that is (for most of the cast) not launch punishable on block at -13. It does not really have a low animation where Paul's body goes down either. Between that and the fact that the move is 21 frames at start up, it is pretty much unseeable. This move works best for me where I do b+4, then sidestep and catch a launcher if my opponent whiffs being that the move is +1 on hit and CH.

-qcf+3
Big range that causes knockdown on CH. This move is a great round ender with an almost unfair hitbox range. Keep in mind that it is launch punishable.

-qcb+3
I tend to use this move by itself after qcb or d/f+1~b. I just recently found out that if you land qcb+3 on CH close by you get a ws+3 follow up for a full bound combo. But before that and even further away where ws+3 won't connect, a simple ss+3 or qcb+1 will suffice hitting grounded opponents. Don't forget the qcb+3,2,1 and qcb+3,2,3 delayed follow ups if you like annoying your opponent (the third hit of the former is easily hit confirmable if you land the first on CH).

-d+3
This is a low, but just not worth it for me with all of the other options. Also launch punishable.

I use this move probably a bit more than I should, but because higher level players do not duck for no reason and I also use 1 by itself, I get the low 4 more often than not. It has good range and is +1 on hit, giving slight frame advantage for continuing offense or sidestepping. Against lesser skilled players, this is an absolutely free low throughout the match. It's also only -11 on block, so you will not get launched if it is blocked (only parried if you become too predicable with it).

-2,d+3
This is (in my opinion) harder to see than the previous move listed and should be put into your arsenal for low hits. This is also -12 on block, so you will probably not eat anything more than a ws+4 if this is blocked/not parried.

[9.] u/f+4 Hopkick
u/f+4
15f start up
-13 on block.
Launches on hit and CH

Paul's hopkick stays true as having the generic Tekken hopkick animation. The range is decent, and at -13 it is no unsafer than other hopkicks in the game. This makes my top 10 list because this will put people in the air who duck too much, so when you've downloaded someone you have something to work with being that d/f+2 does not launch ducking opponents. The tracking is bad, but what can you do; it's a generic hopkick. This is what I favor when blocking snake edge/edelwiess type lows with big block stun animation and don't want to risk a delayed hopkick due to execution error. The hit box is small compared to it's left leg counterpart, u/f+3, but that move is launch punishable and shredder kick has its own place in Paul's other mind games. It definitely should not be overused, but unless you are playing a highly skilled player, throwing out an u/f+4 will not get you hurt. But when you are looking to punish moves that are -15 on block and don't cause pushback, this is your go to launch punisher along with d/f+2.

[10.] Neutron Bomb ~or~ Lights Out

I could not decide which one of these moves to keep on the list and I did not want to alter any other part of my list, so I am giving both of these moves a tie here.

Neutron Bomb
f,f+4
-2 to +2 on block
Launches on hit and CH

This move has insane range and has a ridiculous amount of active frames, something not easily found in Tekken moves (and also something we don't have access to frame data-wise). Both Paul and the opponent have to play a mind game after this move is blocked; depending on when the move was blocked you or the opponent will have slight frame advantage. This is usually where I see a significant amount of Paul players use his reversal. But SS, SW, and attacking are also on the menu after this move is blocked. Fortunately for you, this move is Paul's answer for when people think they have spaced you out enough to raw tag; a simple f,f+4 will destroy any chances of raw tagging at range 3 for your opponent. This move also crushes lows, so this is my favorite move for people who like to wake up 3 low kick a lot.

Lights Out
b+3
14f start up
-9 on block
Launches on hit and CH (full bound combo)

This was, at one point, my favorite move in Paul's movelist. When you start to read up on frame data, you will see that the general consensus is that -15 is considered launch punishable. There are some big exceptions, though, like Kazuya's 13f electric (which is very difficult to do in match), or Mishma EWGFs in general and Armor King's dark uppercut (all 14 frame launchers). These, though, are also difficult to do in match as well for block punishing. But some characters DO have 14f launchers that do not require hours of input practice, and lights out is one of them. This move WILL launch many moves that are -14f on block in Tag2, and once you start looking over other characters' frame data, you will see just how useful this move is. Overused moves like Bruce's high crushing CD+2 or Jack's long range d/f+2 are -14f on block, and Paul gets a full bound combo off of these moves because of b+3. The range is said to be bad, but I disagree. The range is not great, but it is "weird". The move is a high, so opponent's moves that recover where the opponent is slouching will sometimes evade this move. But there are even instances where this move will reach and punish where Paul's u/f+4 hopkick or d/f+2 will not. The move also has slight tracking ability to one side (I forgot which side, though), but keep in mind that where some characters like Kuma only get a simple butt smash or f+2,1 on -14, Paul gets (at least) a third of his opponents health with a bound combo for punishing -14. Characters like Wang whose movelist runs rampant with -14 or Raven players who overuse his knee launcher are like a kid in a candy store for a Paul player with knowledge of lights out. (Please see Lars, Bryan, and Jinpachi for other characters with easy 14f launchers. I'm not sure if there are any others besides them, A. King and Mishimas).

Last edited by Sk37ch on Mar 31st, 2013 at 14:30

Signature
Sk37ch
Legend
PSN: Sketchstation3
XBL: Sketch on 360
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Honorable Mentions

-Thruster (qcf+1): this is Paul's gateway to big damage combos without TAC. This move also crushes a miriad of highs and is tag bufferable. I personally don't think it deserves top 10, but should definitely not be neglected in combos or gameplay.

-Hammer of the Gods (f+1+2): One of Paul's only moves that gives advantage on block. It also W! on CH. This also leaves the opponent in crouch on block, giving Paul the option to back dash and whiff punish accordingly for YOLOs who press buttons when they are not supposed to. I didn't put this in top ten due to its speed, but it should be gradually worked into your gameplay depending on the opponent.

-Shredder kicks (u/f+3,4): Shredder kicks serve their purpose as test tools against less knowledgeable opponents. When fighting nutcases online that are going crazy on me, I favor shredder kicks over other panic moves due to the fact that because these people have no character knowledge or defense, they almost always run into the second kick and get launched. I didn't put this in top ten because I wanted a balanced list and this along with phoenix smasher, demo man and shoulder smash just makes for an "I don't care about my life live free or die hard" unbalanced Paul.

-Double Strike (b+1,2): This move is essential to Paul's punishment, especially punishing things that are -12 on block. The second hit can also be delayed and the first hit by itself is safe so you can create an annoying little mind game from that string information. It is his preferred bound move (although I believe d/f+1~b~1 deals more damage), but I did not put it in top ten because I feel like moves should not be in top ten just because they are bound moves. Obviously, you will be using this or HOTG in your combos and TACs.

-Wrecking Ball (b+2): I love wrecking ball, but it has a time and a place. This is one of two great homing moves that Paul has, but this move is useless against people that like to press buttons a lot in that it is extremely slow. On CH, this move will easily lead about 50% of your opponents health even without a TAC (i'll usually use thruster after I land wrecking ball on CH into double strike for a B!). The lack of speed on this move, however, is why I do not use it as much. I generally favor this move, though, on people who SS and SW too much, and people who wake up with kick (the latter is a wonderful way to get a CH wrecking ball).

-Thunder Palm (ws+2): Paul's 16f ws launcher. I really do not favor this move much because it launches backwards, but it is essential for lifting opponents in the air when you block a really unsafe move with heavy block stun but are unsure if a hopkick or dash-in hopkick will do the job. I am also still unfamiliar with the ws launcher game in Tekken as of yet, as I am still getting used to the 13f ws punishment mechanic being that we as Paul players just got ws+3,2. However, it should still be used and I will generally default to this move if I make a hard read and duck and guess correct on a high.

-Turn Thruster (ss+1): I think this move is great for the simple fact that it is +8 on block. On hit it knocks down and will W!, and on CH it gives a fake bound (that's what I call that animation, anyway. Correct me if you know the actual term for that type of knock down). This and HOTG are almost all Paul has to keep his offense going when opponents block, but the fact that first you must side step, then the move itself is 30 frames is why I still cannot find a place for this move in my regular gameplay. I force myself to use this move because of the frame data, but half the time people will duck because they think they are going to get hit with pump pedal, or I get hit with something before the move actually becomes active.

Last edited by Sk37ch on Mar 31st, 2013 at 02:35

Signature
godaftonjuice
Champion
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Sk37ch, I can't begin to describe how much you've helped me out. Fantastic posts for someone who just picked up Paul! Thank you!
Sugar Free
Raijin
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by godaftonjuice
Sk37ch, I can't begin to describe how much you've helped me out. Fantastic posts for someone who just picked up Paul! Thank you!

godaftonjuice, I can't begin to describe how much you've helped us out, making a FRIGGIN COMPLETELY-BRAND-NEW POST in Paul's forum, thus reviving it! With that colored Hwoarang's icon and shit! Thank you! (I fucking mean it. Yes, here's as bad as that).
Budding Fighter
^ Thanks AZYG4LYFE!
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Sk37ch
-d/b+4 (generic crouching 4)
No matter who you play with in Tekken, I feel like at some point you should make use of the characters's crouching 4. I will start matches off with this move like 10% of the time, and use it after d+1~d sometimes for extra damage. Keep in mind that crouching 4s are launch punishable on block.

db+4 from standing is -13 on block and -2 on hit, FC d+4 is -15 on block and -4 on hit even though they look the same.
Just throwing it out there.
Signature St. George loves my attitude! ("You know too much." - azL) Everything will remain at 50% of its ideal size.
"Here son do a slight dash after ff4,3 into 4,3,4 when they're flying through the air and those Nina players will stop teasing your execution at school." - Skeering
"If Baek gets your back you basically die." - Bronson
"At the bottom of the tier list, it's hard to hear the bitching from the top." - raybonekilla
godaftonjuice
Champion
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Sugar Free
godaftonjuice, I can't begin to describe how much you've helped us out, making a FRIGGIN COMPLETELY-BRAND-NEW POST in Paul's forum, thus reviving it! With that colored Hwoarang's icon and shit! Thank you! (I fucking mean it. Yes, here's as bad as that).

That is kind of sad =( Let's revive this shit then, Paul's awesome and I need to learn stuff.
Sugar Free
Raijin
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
@Budding Fighter

Yup, both versions are launch punishable anyways
Got a little correction to do:

Originally posted by Sk37ch
Paul's d/f+1~b is [...] +1 on block and +7 on hit

d/f+1~b is more than that on block, I'd say +3 according to my experience.
Also ON THIS SITE d/f+1~b is said to be +9 on hit.

Last edited by Sugar Free on May 31st, 2013 at 02:44

oOo_oOo-916
Banned By Mod
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
All I know is that now I play Paul a lot different now...

1,2,3 - very high damage jab punish and you can extend the string with 2,1 making it safe. From my exp (maybe lag online) but 1,2,3,2,1 on block is safe. 1,2,3 is not.

2,d3 - the low advances Paul closer to the opponent, the low comes out fast and has good range. It's just a poking tool. But a good one. -12 on block.

1,4 - same as above, but the low does not move Paul closer to the opponent, he kinds just stands there and does it, but the low is +1 on block, ws4 is pretty hard to beat for people who like to puh buttons.

2,3 - I know....it's a "bad" move. I guess only because it's -12 on block. But the move wall splats, on counter it all hits and knocks down for like 43-45 damage, and the 3 alone on counter causes crumple stun for big damage. And if you mix it in with f2,3>1 you can create a little mix up into big damage, and of your by a wall and you get f2,3>1 to hit, it's over. GG

Df1 - I dont go into sway anymore...only at the wall to create that pressure. I'd rather backlash or ssw after df1 on block. On hit I use db4 and mix that up.

Db4 - this move is good for my play style. Quick, had ok range, and tracks a little. It being 12frames and true high crush is why I use it.

D1 - good range, and speed. It's a good mid poke to punish and check your opponet. Better for poking than df1. - df1 is more of an offensive tool for my play style.

Df2 - this move is just too good.

Demo man - I never used demo man, only with combos or by wall, but now that my poking game is better, demo man is a good way to take some chunks of health from your opponet if your by a wall and get a wall splat then your all good.

Shredder kicks - -13 on block just like normal hopkicks, but has more range, he is in the air longer making quick punish from the opponet just kinda float him instead of 100% punish, hits twice so if your not in range for the whiff punish the second hit can score, does more damage, has a bigger, lower hitbox, some times you crush a low with uf4 and it will just whiff, shredder eats shit up. Shredder > hopkick
Signature aka NorCal_Tekken aka lilty916
USMCOgre
Money Inc.
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by oOo_oOo-916
All I know is that now I play Paul a lot different now...

1,2,3 - very high damage jab punish and you can extend the string with 2,1 making it safe. From my exp (maybe lag online) but 1,2,3,2,1 on block is safe. 1,2,3 is not.
12321, the 2 can be ducked. It's really not safe if you're playing someone who knows the matchup. It's not bad if you're playing someone who doesn't though. Not really a top 10 move IMO.

2,3 - I know....it's a "bad" move. I guess only because it's -12 on block. But the move wall splats, on counter it all hits and knocks down for like 43-45 damage, and the 3 alone on counter causes crumple stun for big damage. And if you mix it in with f2,3>1 you can create a little mix up into big damage, and of your by a wall and you get f2,3>1 to hit, it's over. GG
23 is bad because the 3 can be ducked on hit and you get launched. Not a very good move.
Df1 - I dont go into sway anymore...only at the wall to create that pressure. I'd rather backlash or ssw after df1 on block. On hit I use db4 and mix that up.
The sway stuff is super good. df1 sway f1,2 will stop anything they try to throw out after blocking the df1, letting you get into more sway mixups the next time they block it. Really, df1 by itself isn't that great. The sway stuff is what makes it good.

Shredder kicks - -13 on block just like normal hopkicks, but has more range, he is in the air longer making quick punish from the opponet just kinda float him instead of 100% punish, hits twice so if your not in range for the whiff punish the second hit can score, does more damage, has a bigger, lower hitbox, some times you crush a low with uf4 and it will just whiff, shredder eats shit up. Shredder > hopkick
It's a good idea if you're just throwing out shredders for no reason to mix it up with a regular uf4, as it will fuck up people's punishing.