-Other Pokes
    -Other Notables

5. Combos

6. Air Tech & Owl's Hunt

7. Setups/Resets/Oki etc

8. FAQS

9. Frame Data & Wiki

10. Credits

Hello fellow Ogre players. I decided to make this so I can compile all the necessary data into one thread to prevent clutter, and also so players wouldn't have to keep scrambling in different places for the necessary data. Most of the information has already been put forward by Murakumo but I figured I could help with additional organisation. Use ctrl + F to find what you want.

1. Introduction
-Overview

-------------------------------------------

Ogre's strengths:
- Punishing (range)
- Range
- Movement (front and back)

Ogre's weaknesses:
- Lack of good crushes
- Lack of a quick low
- Short legs
- Movement (sides)

Because of Ogre's lack of a quick counter hitting move, lack of legitimate crushes, and lack of quick lows, it can be very hard to stop momentum from characters like Law and Nina.

How should I play Ogre?
Simple, range your opponents out. Also, you need to make sure to punish everything, and from a crouch, that means you will need to gauge your range because of Ogre's gimpy leg range.
Ogre's range is ridiculous, including his jab. This jab will help you keep space in the match. DON'T just let your opponents run in. Make them work for it! Range, range, range, range, range. If you can't move, your opponent will walk all over you. Ogre, perhaps more than most characters you see, will seem really strong or really weak depending on the player and opponent.

LAUNCHERS
●u/b+3
●u+4
●d/f+4 (On crouchers)
●1+2,1+2 (Both the 1st and 2nd, followup only if 2nd launch hits first)
●d/f+1+2
●SS2
●d+4, 4 (the 2nd hit, or CH d+4, 4)

TAG LAUNCHERS
●d/f+1+2
●SS2
●WS2
●d+4, 4 (the 2nd hit, or CH d+4, 4)
●Wanning Moon

BOUND MOVES
●d/b+1
●u+3+4
●d/f+3,2
●ff+3
●WS1,2
●fly, 1,2, 1+2

TRACKING MOVES
●f+4 - Very small range
●b+1+2 - Has alot of range
●d/f+3+4, 3+4
●WS2

TA! FILLERS
●u/f+3, 4, 3+4
●hcf+2, 1+2
●u/b+3~f, 1, 2, 1+2
●d/f+3+4, 3+4

TA! ENDERS
●boot (f+3+4), 1, 2, 1+2
●u+1+2
●u/b + 3~f, 1, 2 , 1+2
●hcf+2, 1+2

TA! WALL FILLERS
●d/f+2, 1, 2
●u/f+1+2, 1+2
●d/f+3+4 , 3+4

TA! WALL ENDERS
●u+4, 2 (Jack, P-Jack, Jinpachi only)
●d/f+2,1
●d/f3,2
●u/f+1+2, 1+2
●hcb+2
●ff+2,2
●1+2, 1+2, 1+2

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 27th, 2012 at 23:11

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
PSN: BlackJaguarXD
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
2. Crushes
-----------------

This is one of Ogre's weak points if they start rushing you down. My recommendations?

High crushes:
-dick punches (d+1, FC+2)
-b+3 (slow, but ACTUALLY crushes early, minimally punishable, some tracking, juggle on CH, + frames on hit)

... everything else that "high crushes" just doesn't do it consistently or isn't worth it (-frames on hit). I've been jabbed out of d/f+1+2, and floated by jabs out of both u+4 and u/b+3. Combo'd by the same moves they supposedly crush.

Low crushes:
-U+4
-u/b+3

These are not completely reliable as low crushes but they do work. However, You have to anticipate lows with these otherwise you'll be eating a full combo, and as Ogre, you can't afford to be taking much combos especially if you're near/at the wall.

3. Punishes
-------------
-Standing
i10) 1,2,2 (+4)
i10) 2,2 (-2) [slightly stronger, but less frame advantage than 1,2,2]
i13) d/f+1,1 (+2, opponent crouched)
i14) b+4,3 (+4)
i14) f+1+4 (knockdown/splat)
i15) 3,2 (+7)
i16) u/b+3~F (juggle) [close]
i16) d/f+3,2, b+1_d+3+4_b+1+2 (knockdown and followup) [medium]
i16) u/f+1+2,1+2 (knockdown/splat) [super good range]
i20) u+4~U (juggle)
i23) u/f,N+4

-Crouching
i10) FC+1 (+6) [remains crouching]
i10) FC+1~F (+6) [recovers standing]
i11) WS+4 (+8) [frames, very short range]
i11) WS+4,4 (-3~4, opponent crouched) [damage, short range]
i11) FC+2 (+7) [remains crouching, very good range]
i13) WS+1,2 (+3, opponent crouched)
i16) WS+2 (stun juggle starter) [good range]
i16) u/f+1+2,1+2 (knockdown/splat) [super good range]
i20) u+4~U (juggle)
i23) u/f,N+4

As you can see, Ogre has to deal with not only the frames for the appropriate punisher, but also the range.

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 24th, 2012 at 23:37

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
4. Poking
---------------------

As mid pokes...
-Safe*
i13) d/f+1 (-5)(+6) 12 dmg
i14) b+4 (-5)(+6) 14 dmg
i15) d/f+2 (-8)(+3) 15 damage
i16) f+1+2 (-9)(knockdown/splat) 24 damage, extra damage on counter and +8~10 frames--splats on counter, too, if you reach a wall
i20) d/b+1 (-4)(+6) 16 damage, opponent crouched on hit
i21) ff+3 (+/-0?) (juggle on hit) [pick up with 3,2]
i11) WS+4 (-3)(+8)
i13) WS+1 (-6) (+5) 13 damage [semi-hit confirmable to WS+1>2 (-12)(+3) 31 damage, opponent crouched on hit]

-Unsafe*
i13) d/f+1,1 (-13)(+2) 37 damage, opponent crouched on hit
i14) b+4,3 (-10)(+5) 32 damage
i15) 3,2 (-3)(+7) 35 damage, duckable on block
i16) u/f+1+2 (-12)(-2) 19 damage, hit confirmable to u/f+1+2,1+2 (-20)(knockdown/splat) 46 damage

-Low pokes
i12) FC+4 (-15)(-4) 12 damage
i16) d/b+3 (-17)(-3) 14 damage, crushes, remain crouched
i17) d/b+4 (-11)(+/-0) 18 damage
i19) d+4 (-17)(-6) 8 damage, crush/CH fishing for d+4,4 (-8)(juggle) second hit is duckable
i23) d/b+2 (-19)(+/-0) 25 damage, crushes, throw on CH
i27+) b+3 (-13)(+4) 20 damage, recovers crouching, juggle on CH, crushes, extendable to b+3,4 (-8)(knockdown)

-Other pokes
i10) 1 (+1)(+8)
i10) 2 (-2)(+7)
i10) 1,2 (0?-1?)(+7)
i14) b+2 (-8)(+3) juggles on CH, high, decent range. You can afford to throw this out when pressured, but do not become over reliant.

-Other notables*
fff+3 (massive guard stun)
fff+3+4 (massive guard stun)
d+2 (SUUUUUPER LONG RANGE, strangely it tracks well, good stun on guard. I use this a lot in ranged wakeup)
[Boot]1 (-9)(+3) 12 damage
[Boot]1,2 (-10)(+1) 26 damage, hit confirmable to [Boot]1,2,1+2 (-14?)(knockdown/splat) 51 damage

... as you can see, his mid pokes are not that great, and his low pokes are pretty horrible compared to most of the cast. If you are going to mix your opponent up, try to incorporate lots of throws (its hard to see his hands), and waning moon in particular (massive damage). Other than that, you SHOULD mostly be fighting a game of ranging, not one of a mixup game. As much. If the opponent gets in on you, be patient, punish correctly, and if you have space, move. If not, then mixup, hopefully hit something else, be patient, and move when you have time. That said, i have has some success with stuff like b+4,3, b+4,3. Waning moon. Also, Ogre's SS, while bad, is not as bad as the bears. If you use an attack that forces crouch, you can step away from their obvious WS move side and get something if they whiff.

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 24th, 2012 at 23:39

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
5. Combos
---------------------

For the optimal damage combos, you're going to be doing 4 filler hits, then bound, then finish with hcf+2:1+2. If you can't get that execution down, you can also dash, b+4,3,3+4 to finish (this will hit with 4 filler hits then bind, but is more consistent/easier with only 3 filler hits prior to the bind move). They're essentially interchangable if your execution is on.

b+4,3,3+4 carries farther than hcf+2:1+2, but the latter does slightly more damage. Also if you make it to the wall during the knees, one of the last hits misses and you come down at a massive disadvantage. The hcf+2:1+2 also recovers faster mid stage, so you can continue to pressure a bit more.

There are, of course, many possible variations. I'm sure we will find some better than these in short time, too.

●u/b+3~F, [Boot] 1,(2), 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2 - 80 Damage
●u+4~U, [Fly] 1,2,1+2, B!, b+4,3,3+4 - 72 Damage
●d/f+1+2, U/F,N+4, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, ff~b+4,3,3+4 - 90 Damage (hcf+2, 1+2 ender does 91 Damage)
●WS+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2 - 81 Damage
(You CAN finish this with b+4,3,3+4, but if you want to, you should SSL slightly after the initial counter hit in order to realign)
●u+1+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2 - 92 Damage
●1+3, 1+2 (if they tag you can continue as 1+2>1+2 and launch the incoming character)
●SS+4, FC,d/f+2
●FC,d/f+2, b+1+2
●ff+1+2, d/b+3 (unblockable high starter)
●ff3, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, hcf+2:1+2 - 85 Damage
●[CH]b+3, d/f+2, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2
●[CH]b+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, hcf+2:1+2 - 80 Damage
●[CH] d+4,4, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2 - 91 Damage

●Wanning Moon:
-u+1+2, d/f+2, d/f+2,1,2 - 80 Damage. Easy, staple combo.
-Dash d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2, (TA! filler) - end with the appropriate TA! ender.
-Dash d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2, hcf+2,1+2 - 92 Damage. Harder. (d/f+2,1,2 ender does 89 Damage)
-u+1+2, 3,2, d/b+1 - This only works on certain characters. They are as follows:

●Slim Bob
●Ancient Ogre
●Forest Law
●Raven
●Bob
●Kazuya
●Jin
● Devil Jin
●King
●Hwoarang
●Lei (extremely hard timing must be perfect)
●Marshal Law
●Lars
●Armor King
●Ganryu
●Baek
●Christie

This does not mean it will not work against the rest of the characters, so in that circumstance, use d/f,d/f+2+4, ff~u+1+2 and it should work. This is good to know if you really want to optimise your wanning moon combos with some TA! fillers.

Wanning moon is pretty unique in that you can tag in your second character and followup with a combo to take off red health. However, I believe it only works with characters who have a i14 launcher or lower, such as Jinpachi's d/f+2 or Lee's u/f+4. If it's slower it will not work and it's not a true combo. If you would to know some more tricks with WM, please check out this video by Murakumo. If you would like to continue the combo with Ogre, the followups that are guaranteed after Wanning Moon are:

-dash u+4
-dash d/f+1+2 (very hard)
-dash 1+2+5
-dash d+4,4

ON THE WALL
d/f+3,2, B!, IWS+4, f+1+4 (bind with a quicker move if needed)

ON THE WALL, Post-bind
1,2, f+1+4

OFF LOW PARRY
b+4,3, 3,2, f+1+4
b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1
b+4, b+4,3, b+4,3,3+4

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 26th, 2012 at 23:46

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
6. Air Tech
------------------

Unlike the rest of the cast Ogre has a special air tech that can be performed as he is being juggled. It is done by inputting either, u+1, u+2 or u+1+2 and allows you the option of trying to escape an opponents combo and can only be done once per each time you're in the air. Be warned however, a mistime of the air tech makes you suspectible to being reset and you'll simply be helping your opponent to dish out additional damage, whilst providing them with better wall carry, and we don't want that. Furthermore Ogre is vulnerable until he touches the grounsd, so even if you successfully escape a juggle, they can still hit you.

There is a long list of opportunities where Ogre can successfully escape an opponents juggle without being reset in the air, but we can step up and compile a list together for future reference. Here are some examples:

Anna - FC d/f+2, d+4,1 - Air tech at d+4

Lars - f+1+2, d/b+2, - Air Tech at d/b+2, however if Lars opts for d/b+2,1 it's another juggle for Lars.

Owl's Hunt
------------------
Ogre has another unique move where he can surprise the opponent when he is grounded and face up. You can also appear behind or to the side of the opponent with influence of the direction you used (being up,down, left or right) for a more tricky reversal. However, if blocked, it's launch punishable, and players can interrupt the Owl's Hunt if they opt to go for a quick jab, i.e sometimes Armor King's d/f+1 can reward him with a free combo if he catches you in the attempt you use Owl's Hunt.

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 23rd, 2012 at 23:33

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
7. Setups/Resets/Oki etc
------------------

FC d/f+2
●d/b+2 guaranteed
●b+1 guaranteed
●d+3+4 guaranteed (keeps you closer to them)
●b+1+2 guaranteed except for wang (and small characters if they keep still) (biggest damage I think, I'll keep tabs on this and look into a bit more)
1+2+5 hits some characters even if they stay grounded, if they do get up and you time it well, you get a nice TA combo
●d/f+2,1,2 - first hit always hits grounded if you're close, if they get up you get the full string.

CH d+3+4
●d/b+2 guaranteed (to check)

Wall Combo Mixup - By Murakumo
●After a bound against the wall, after you use WS4, immediately use the supercharge. If the opponent techs immediately you can go for a mixup which consists between Wanning Moon and d+4,4. Check here for some visual evidence. Of course both of these options lose to an opponent crouching so maybe it's possible for you to opt for f+1+2 too? I'm not sure if this works with tag combos, but it probably won't due to the lack of hitstun.

1+3 oki
●If your opponent attempts to roll back or forward you can pick them up with 3,2 and continue the combo. I'm unsure if this works against players who opt to get up immediately, probably does. For something safer, you may want to opt for just 3 instead of 3,2, as you'll be leaving yourself vulnerable if 3,2 whiffs.

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 24th, 2012 at 00:43

Signature
Keebs
6th Dan
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
8. FAQS
------------------

How do I air tech with Ogre?
    -You press u+1 or u+2 at the same time the opponent hits you. You can also perform it by doing u+1+2 if you're more comfortable with that.

9. Frame Data & Wiki
------------------
Ogre Frame Data
Ogre Wiki

10. Credits
------------------
-Murakumo - For the bulk of information (Crushes, punishers, combos, poking, general play, strengths and weaknesses).
-AZYG4LYFE - For the setups and oki.
-dr4gon - Stole his format but thank you good sir.
-prncejrge83 - For testing out extensive wanning moon combos.

Last edited by Keebs on Oct 18th, 2012 at 22:56

Signature
grumpy64
War Lord
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
What is his best combo off of WM? I know everyone does U+1+2 but is that really the best he has?
Keebs
6th Dan
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
The best combo off WM is the u+1+2, d/f+2, d/f+2,1,2, and that's just Ogre on his own.

If it's a TA! combo you're looking for, use 3,2 after the u+1+2 if it works on the character (characters it works on are listed above), or go for the other combo I listed, which is the d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2 followup

edit: Actually, the best combo is

WM, dash d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2, hcf+2, 1+2 but the combo is hard because the timing between WM and the dash d+4 is pretty strict (or it could just be me not being very used to stick lol). It does 92 damage.
Signature
grumpy64
War Lord
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Keebs
The best combo off WM is the u+1+2, d/f+2, d/f+2,1,2, and that's just Ogre on his own.

If it's a TA! combo you're looking for, use 3,2 after the u+1+2 if it works on the character (characters it works on are listed above), or go for the other combo I listed, which is the d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2 followup

edit: Actually, the best combo is

WM, dash d+4,4, d/f+1, d/f+3,2, hcf+2, 1+2 but the combo is hard because the timing between WM and the dash d+4 is pretty strict (or it could just be me not being very used to stick lol). It does 92 damage.

Cool i didn't even know that you could combo off of U+1+2. I'll try those later
Keebs
6th Dan
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
●[CH]b+3, WS+1, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

Am I the only one that is having difficulty with this combo? I cannot get it to work, if it works at all. It could be character specific?

I've also updated the post with launchers and tracking moves (WIP)
Signature
Murakumo
1,2,4:4 all day long
PSN: TZMurakumo
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
Keebs, that last combo works mostly when you crushed something and they're really close.

Regarding waning moon to d+4,4 correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they can still duck the second kick. If you are doing that, might as well tag off the d+4,4 itself to kill red life.

However, if you're not too proud to try some gimmicks, then you can do stuff like this...
Ogre: u/b+3~F, [Fly]1,2, 3,2, d/b+1,5...
Lee: fff+1+2,3... (sandwiches under, sends them back to Ogre)
Ogre: 1+2+3+4, and then if they tech you can mix between d+4,4 and something else (d+4,4 leads to 107 damage here with Lee with no wall IIRC). Particularly with people who don't break well, if they tech up, I will usually mix d+4,4 with waning moon.

In that above case, the d+4 being CH, we truly do get...
Ogre: waning moon, run, d+4,4,5...
Lee: 4,u+3, b+1:1~f,N, f+4,3,5...
Ogre; u/b+3~F, [Fly]1,2,1+2...
Lee: FF, (run gives stomp or tackle on tech)

Basically, turns a single combo into a 50/50 to give you the round. Not reliable, not maybe not the worst of ideas/gimmicks if you're way up on life or rounds.

Waning Moon gives dash, u+4 guaranteed, as well as dash, d/f+1+2... horns has the hardest timing, though. That d+4,4, as I said, can have the second hit ducked on normal hit, even from behind I believe. WM, dash 1+2+5 works very easily.

For reference: http://youtu.be/zU9i40cG9Ds
Signature Hit confirms and just frames in a mist trap sandwich!
Keebs
6th Dan
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Ok thanks for the clarification.

Yea wanning moon into dash d+4,4 works. Double checked in training mode and they can't duck the second hit if their back is turned. I could be wrong but I hope it's true, since you do get the chance to take off more health.

Dude I really lke the gimmicks, thanks for sharing that man I had no idea you made that video. Well that adds another subscription to my list, heh. I understand it's not reliable but it will help my 'one dimensional' gameplay.

Thanks!
Signature
Murakumo
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Just in playing around with waning moon vs. Mokujin while waiting for online matches (and after seeing some Korean play), it may be that u+1+2, 3,2, d/b+1 works on more characters than the above list, consistently, with a slight dash (good timing). It'll register as a combo with good timing. Against Mokujin for example, d/f,d/f+2+4, ff~u+1+2 will always give 3,2, d/b+1. May make the difference vs. others, too.
jiorio95
Don Frye
PSN: jiorio
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
With Jinpachi Ogre can get u4,2 at the wall. Example would be Ogre u1+2, b4,3, 3,2, d/b1 b! TA df1,2 w! ff, u4,2. It's about 137 damage.
Keebs
6th Dan
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Good to know thanks you guys! I've made the changes.

Signature
prncejrge83
Berserker
PSN: protege_00
XBL: DeaD BeaNz
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Murakumo
Just in playing around with waning moon vs. Mokujin while waiting for online matches (and after seeing some Korean play), it may be that u+1+2, 3,2, d/b+1 works on more characters than the above list, consistently, with a slight dash (good timing). It'll register as a combo with good timing. Against Mokujin for example, d/f,d/f+2+4, ff~u+1+2 will always give 3,2, d/b+1. May make the difference vs. others, too.

oh i didnt try out mokujin..since i rarely see him used in tournament play...
but also trust me..i tested it on every OTHER character...doing a slight dash and trying u+1+2 will still give an opponent time to turn and attack you...its happened to me many times online..plus dashing after waning moon and doing d4 4 didnt work for me either since they quickly turned and low punched me
Signature "use any technique that works, never limit myself to one style, but to keep an open mind " van damme bloodsport
" practice until you can meditate and nothing can distract you so that you see and feel nothing except your own energy" shidoshi
bloodsport
AZYG4LYFE
Play FFRK
PSN: CKT_AZYG4LYFE
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by prncejrge83
oh i didnt try out mokujin..since i rarely see him used in tournament play...
but also trust me..i tested it on every OTHER character...doing a slight dash and trying u+1+2 will still give an opponent time to turn and attack you...its happened to me many times online.e

are you sure? I've had success with this more, you just need to do a small but effective dash, I visualise it as FF~u+1+2 as soon as yo are in your first frame of WM recovery.

AZ
Signature Currently playing (addicted to) FFRK. Global Friend ID: GBNP JP Friend ID: QZseY
Twitter:@AZYG4LYFE Please PM or tweet me if you have any questions/issues! ラッキークロエ twitch.tv/AZYG4LYFE

Titty
4th Dan
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
How do you make Ogre float while being juggled?

Is this an important move?
Murakumo
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
u+2

Used randomly it's bad, but it CAN get you out of some characters' B&B combos and get you on your feet faster. In some rare instances if their next attack is blocked or whiffs you can get a punish of some sorts.

Example, if you're really low and someone starts a combo (like off a sweep), it's almost always good to use on the first hit. You're so low that you'll be grounded pretty much instantly. Also, in some combos with a 2-hit bound, you can lift OVER the bound move and land safely (In other cases it just resets momentum and damage scaling though, so be careful. It's good if you can learn where to use it, but not using it is usually safer if you're not sure when to use the air recovery).