Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Spady
1st Dan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Is his top 10 known?
Or it just copy Marshall's?
In case no, please write - why the moves are good.
SterlingVoid
Kyu
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
one of my favs are 4,3,1+2 , works as a great bound and two of these babies against the wall can do some good damage
SonicFrames
Kyu
PSN: sonicframes
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
4,3,4 is one of my favorite moves from Forest. I just like it because it looks badass as a TA! ender...can't seem to find any other use for it haha. The flying kick and the little pose he does at the end of the string just scream awesome. It reminds me of Marshall's DSS combo/string cancel with the 4,3 DSS f+3.
Signature Sonic Fang for life? Heh...we'll see.

"Snake...we're not tools of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing...the only thing I was good at. But at least I fought for what I believed in." --Grey Fox (MGS1)
melovegames
Kyu
PSN: melovegames
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
in no particular order

ws 2
slide
db+3
3+4
b+2,2
b+4
ff+4,3
b+2,3,4
d+2,3 for tag buffer
Signature PSN: melovegames
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
PSN: Forest613
XBL: ForestSkies
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Going from #10 to #1, in my opinion, at this time:

#10) BT d+3 Unseeable, does good damage at 16 points, is 10 frames, -11 on block, and +3 on hit and counter hit, really good. It crushes and recovers crouching, which is always dangerous if you can do Forest's Slide really quickly. It can hit at the range where BT uf+4 can whiff, so if, for instance, you hit b+4,b at its tip range and are outside of BT uf+4's range, use BT 2, a mid CH launcher that is -14 on block, 15 frames, -1 on hit, and 22 points, instead of BT uf+4, and it should reach as a mid option. BT 1,2,3 can also reach if BT uf+4 will whiff due to the opponent being out of its range, or for a slower mid option, BT d+3+4 has good range. I personally like BT 3, which is 33 points, 10 frames, -8 on block, and always knocks down and wallsplats...but it is a high.

#9) FC df,d,df+3 An unseeable low knockdown kick with great range and tracking. Forest ends in FUFA position if it hits, unless the wall was behind the opponent. Forest can press up to get up and try for a b+2 for a float or some other move for oki, or Forest can use a getting up 3 for an extra 10 points of damage, guaranteed every time as a combo. The downside of using the getting up 3 is that is pushes the opponent really far, so there is no oki. But, the positive side of using the guaranteed getting up 3 is ALSO that there is no possible oki: it gives you a safe Tag and possibly another mixup with the incoming character.

Mix up Slide with WS+2 by doing the FC df,d,df Slide input, but instead of pressing the 3 for the Slide, slide the stick back to the neutral position and quickly press 2~Tag for Forest's powerful Dragon Uppercut. It will launch the opponent if they crouched, thinking that your FC df,d,df was the Slide. You can also go for another move instead of WS+2 if the opponent is sidewalking right to avoid both options, like a sidestep up to crouch cancel and b+3 or b+4.

f,f,f+3 is also good as a mid option for the FC mixup for when you think they might be ducking as a guess and are not likely to sidewalk.

#8) b+3 Forest's best long range move. Homing, knocks down, good damage, wallsplats, fairly safe at -12 with pushback. Can end in BT, but I prefer not to go BT most of the time. Be aware that it is 23 frames...kinda slow. But, it is more for long range, so its speed is not too much of a drawback.

#7) d+2 An extremely important, extremely fast attack for stopping the opponent's offense dead in its tracks and also going into FC for a Slide_WS+2~Tag mixup. VS Lei or Hwoarang, it can mean the difference between life and death!

I find if I use d+2, I tend to sometimes automatically go for d+2,3, which is a bad habit. Just because you see the opponent move, it does not mean you will get a CH launcher with d+2,3. If I feel myself in a goofy mood, likely to use d+2,3, I use db+1 instead, to avoid dieing needlessly just because I wanted to shift the momentum.

A good way to use d+2 is d+2 (hits), f,f or SideStep up to crouch cancel, then df+1 or db+3. They do tend to try to block after getting interrupted by d+2, since they expect the second hit of the string, the full d+2,3. So, they standing guard after d+2, waiting to block the 3 part and to get their free launcher. That is when you use a fast Slide!

Be aware that db+1 has very short range. After Law's 1,2 hits, if you immediately do db+1, the db+1 will whiff! In cases where you suspect db+1 will whiff due to its short range, Law has to use d+2 in order to avoid whiffing.

#6) uf+4 We have THE MIXUP: Law's mid hopkick.

#5) 1,2 SO IMPORTANT! Including 1,1,2, which is Law's 1,2 with an additional jab attached. Mix it up with lots of other moves, fast or slow!

2,2 is a similar move and ends in BT and is a part of Forest's 2,2,1,2 Rage Dragon Combo (h,h,h,m).

Forest can end his 1,2 or 1,1,2 with mids, as well, with 1,2,3, a CH knockdown string that ends with a knee and is -9 on block, or 1,2,f+2, which does not knock down and is also -9 on block. 1,2,f+2,1+2 (h,h,m,m) is also an option for poking. It is not a combo, though, and the last hit is -13 on block. You can delay the last hit, though. So, if the opponent starts to attack after 1,2,f+2, you can press 1+2 to finish the string and POW!

1,2,UF+3 is another move from Forest's 1,2 or 1,1,2. You can do 1,2,UF+3,4~Tag for a safe, Tag buffered launcher, or be more tricky with 1,2,UF+3,D to recover crouching.

#4) b+2,3,4~Tag Despite the fact that Forest has no DSS to make the third hit +6 on block like Marshall, it is still a good move. -7 on block, it can pickup for a float VS rolling opponents. b+2 by itself is a very good move. b+2 is -8 on block, but it can be followed up despite that since they should not be attacking after b+2 gets blocked. Why? Laws can delay the second and third hits of the string, so b+2 (blocked), then delayed 3 (CH),4~Tag will launch.

Be aware that Junkyard Kick combo can also pickup opponents for a combo:

VS rolling b+2, 2, f,f+4,3 etc.

Junkyard Kick Combo has no tracking to Law's right and is easily sidestepped left, Law's right, by opponents.

#3) b+1,2,1~Tag Forest's super scary new version of the classic Law Dragon Storm Combo. Just be sure to CH confirm it, or you will be the one who is lying on the ground dead! The tracking is lacking on the move, too. You might think it should track to Law's left a bit since it is a left punch lead, but it really seems not to. Still, this is Law's scary CH hunting tool for mid range.

You can use b+1>2 as a mid,mid poking tool, too.

#2) b+4,b 14 frames, a true homing mid kick with a BT mixup. Also Forest's best 14 frame punisher, giving a knockdown and wallsplat, with b+4,3. -4 on block with the BT version, -7 on block without BT.

#1) db+3 Unseeable? Probably, unless you are using more than 2 back to back. I do not go by frames to judge whether a move is unseeable or not. I go by the animation. For instance, Kazuya's Hellsweep is unseeable, most would agree, but the move is pretty slow to come out, at 19 frames at its fastest execution possible http://rbnorway.org/kazuya-ttt2-frames/ . But the animation makes it unseeable if the opponent does not expect it. db+3 is 17 frames, +3 on hit and on counter-hit, and forces crouch on hit for the opponent. The only thing the opponent can use to interrupt Law in-between a db+3 hitting and a b+4,b is a FC 1. WS+4 is 11 frames! It will trade at best, and lose to the b+4,b at worst.

This top ten list is just based on my personal playing style, and some moves that are not even in the list might be much more effective depending on the situation. For instance:

Forest's standing 4 is a great 11 frame high CH launcher for when you think they will attack. Just be aware that the move does not have as much range as you might expect.

3+4 is a great mid,mid attack that wallsplats on normal hit and is fast at 14 frames and has good range. Unsafe though, at -10.

f+3+4 is a mid move that launches on CH, new to Tekken Tag 2 for Laws. But it is easily sidestepped and slow. 27 points, 27 frames, +7 on hit, -2 on block.

f+1+2 is a safe CH launcher that can get Forest a wall combo if it hits at the wall. 20 frames, +1 on block, knocks down on normal hit, and you can hold down to recover crouching.

f,f,f+3 is a great attack...unless they can sidewalk worth a damn, in which case, you will get killed for it!

db+2 is Forest's only true elbow move. Pretty good for long range if you use db+2,4, but don't whiff. 14 frame startup, 20 points, 3 points more than b+4, but less range and tracking, obviously.

db+4,4 is Forest's big, scary low, Dragon Tail. Good range and faster than you might think at 24 frames, it has some high crush. Just be sure not to have it blocked...it is -33! Looks similar in its animation to UF+4~Tag, I think, so if you use a couple of UF+4s, you might be able to make your opponent think db+4 is UF+4.

f,f+3 is a really good whiff punisher, since it does 40 (60)* points, and has great range. Be aware that it is 21 frames and -15 on block, though.

f,f+2,3 while lacking in range, is easily hit confirmable and wallsplats. First hit is mid and -7 on block, second hit is high and -17.

d+1 is 21 frames, so only 3 frames faster than db+4, pretty slow! But, d+1 is good at crushing highs, recovers crouching, is +1 on hit, and, unlike db+4, is only -13 on block.

df+1 is Forest's generic 13f, 13 point of damage, -1 on block, +5 on hit mid poke. Less range than many other characters' df+1s, and it has a different animation, too. Forest keeps his body turned to the side throughout the move.

f,f+4,3 is Law's new bound move in Tag 2. VS a standing opponent, it can start a combo, and is -14 on block. Great for getting a combo after a getting up 3 hits. In previous games, Laws could not get a combo from many versions of getting up 3 launches. This move fixes that.

SS+3+4 is now a launcher in Tag 2 since you can use f,f+4,3 to get the bind...but I personally can not hit the combo consistently. A db+4 or f+3+4 is guaranteed. SS+3+4 knocks them down in a strange way, so you never get a wallsplat. But, you can use f,f+4,3.

df+2 is Forest's main launch punisher, which is a shame. It is only a basic uppercut! Safe on block, though.

Last edited by forest16 on Mar 14th, 2014 at 06:11

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Been a long time since I made the above list!

Think I did a decent job on the list, but I might make a new version soon. db+3 is extremely good, but it has no high crush.

b+3 is an amazing move to use when they are trying to get in and you are backdashing a lot to knock them away again. It is great at hitting outstretched limbs. I also use b+3 instead of b+2,2 as a whiff punisher. Way more damage, and the range is nearly the same, if not the same. b+2,2 is faster, though, obviously.

f,f,f+3 has to be one of Law's most underrated moves. While it IS linear, the crush system helps the move out, making it crush low attacks. The move's active frames seem improved over Tekken 6.

d+2 by itself is an amazing poke. Try to condition yourself not to use the full d+2,3~Tag unless you are nearly positive it will hit, since d+2,3~Tag is -17 on block and -16 on block for Marshall. d+2 is really fast and ends in FC position, great for a Slide followup. After 1,2, df+1, or any other quick recovering pokes, d+2 can force a FC mixup on your opponent at range 0.

3+4 is basically death if you get wallsplatted by it, only -10, and 14 frames. People will start to eat tons of db+3's at the wall if you use 3+4 after a db+3 hits as your flowchart.

f+3+4 gets lots of CH combos for me. I also like it at the wall. Some people don't want to get up after they get taken to the wall for a big combo. f+3+4 persuades them to get up or die lying down!

2,2 has a ton of range, is an easy 10f punish, allows a BT mixup, and does a ton of other things.

d+3+4 is a lot like d+2, but it is a true low hitting kick, taking away damage on standing opponents while putting Law in FC. You don't have to use a Slide_WS+2~Tag mixup from it, either, since you are -2 on hit and on CH. You can opt instead for safer options like FC UB+4,D,FC or WS+4 or FC df+4 or WS+1>2. You would need to be amazing at hit confirming WS+1>2, obviously, it's -17 and high on the second hit.

4,3 is Law's best punisher. Pretty negative on hit since Forest does not have the DSS cancel. The great thing about 4,3, though, is it reaches and punishes pretty much everything you would expect it to, unlike 3,4. 3,4 has gotten a heavy nerf from Tekken 6. 3,4's knockdown was a GOOD thing in Tekken 6 because Law could get okizeme from it. Now, with the super long pose Law must do after 3,4, there is NO OKIZEME. So why risk allowing your opponent to Tag out, or even possibly, LIKELY, completely whiffing your 12 frame 3,4 punish, since 3,4 has less range than 4,3?

4,3 will not reach a getting up 4 punish, though, iirc. Law has to use f+2,N,2 to punish it.

I have to say, when I first saw 3,4 in Tekken 6, I thought it was a cool move. Now that I acually main Law though, the move kinda sucks with the nerf in Tag 2. If I was fighting Law, I would hope that the Law would use 3,4 to punish me so I could get a quick Tag out and a mixup on the Law player.

Last edited by forest16 on Sep 15th, 2013 at 21:44

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
It is very important to use low attacks in your rushdown, and Laws have a lot of them. I like d+1 because you can use it at point blank range without the worry of it being counter-hit by high attacks.

I find myself using standing basic jabs (1, 1) to set up my db+3. I do that because I keep expecting to get counter-hit by a standing basic 4, or other quick high attacks like 1,2 punches series moves. And if opponents are not using 1,2 punches or standing 4s that launch on CH to counter Law's use of db+3, they need to start!

Enter the high-crushing low d+1. 4 frames slower than db+3, which is obviously a big negative, d+1 is -13 on block, the same as db+3 is. I'm still going to use db+3 when I just need a faster low attack for when I am in close range, like after Forest's WS+4 hits and Forest is at plus frames.

I also like to use Nina Williams; Nina was my main character in Tekken 6, although I used Law in every other Tekken. Nina has a similar move to Law's d+1: Nina's d+2. Nina's d+2 is 20 frames, 1 frame faster than Law's d+1, but Nina's d+2 is -6 on hit, and -12 on block. Law's d+1 is 21f, +1 frame on hit, and -13 on block. The two moves each have positives and negatives. Nina's d+2 is a frame safer than Law's d+1, but Law's d+1 forces crouch on hit. And then there are the second hits to the two moves, which both are NCc, or a CH combo, for a knockdown and wallsplat with both moves. The second hit of Law's d+1,3 is better than Nina's second hit of her d+2,3 in my opinion though, because it is a mid attack that is only -11 on block. Both attacks wallbreak, even in combos.

I could go on and on comparing the two moves, but, they are very similar low pokes in the end. Basically, mixup Law's d+1 with hopkick and other mids. Truth be told, you can just use highs to set up your d+1, because opponents tend to block after blocking a 1,2 punches or standing 1, since the frames are even or not in their favor.

d+1 will beat out highs, since it high crushes, but d+1 can be countered by mid attacks, since mids can not be crouched. But, since mids tend to be slower than highs, if you can get a read on when your opponent will try to use a mid attack on you, you can use Law's standing basic 4 to counter-hit the opponent and get a full combo.

One of the basic rules in Tekken is that mid attacks tend to be slower than high attacks, and low attacks are the slowest attacks, slower than both mids and highs. While db+3 is a very good low attack, it is still slower than mids and highs, and it does not high crush like d+1, d+3+4, db+4,4, or BT d+3 do. For that reason, I am going to start to use d+1 more than db+3.

Lastly, hopkick! The ancient art of the hopkick is perhaps the most important compliment to d+1. df+2 is a safer option than hopkick, also 15 frames. b+1,2, b+4,b, df+1,3,2, df+4, db+2, b+2,3,4, f+3+4, f+1+2, SS+3+4, and UF+4~Tag are also good mid options. For long range, you can use f,f,f+3 or b+3.

One mid attack that has really started to stand out to me, especially at the wall, is 3+4. Fast enough to be used as a 14f punish and only -10 on block, it knocks down and wallsplats. It can be used at semi long range as a footsie move, similar to b+3, since it has long range! 3+4 and b+3 are just as important for Law as his hopkick, since Law's hopkick has such limited range. Other Law players like Rip like to use Junkyard Kick Combo, b+2,3,4, the way I use 3+4 and b+3. b+2,3,4 is a great choice too. I think I should use Law's b+2,3,4 more often!

f,f+4,3 has great range, so it it a great way to punich a raw Tag if your Law is far away from the opponent when they Tag out. f,f+4,3 might not be a true launcher, only a bound for a TA! right away, but, it still is a great raw Tag punisher!

I like using just the first 2 hits of Law Junkyard Kick Combo, just b+2,3. They expect the next hit and freeze. Then, the next time, I delay the third hit and they get hit! Forest has no DSS, so it's important get do SOME type of a mixup with Junkyard.

Last edited by forest16 on Dec 9th, 2013 at 12:51

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Law's staning basic 4 has always been an integral part of his game, both offense and defense.

Lows are all well and good to try to make them duck, but you can use standing 4 as a tool to make the opponent duck! Since the move is a high attack, opponents who are spammed with Law staning basic 4s will inevitably try to crouch under it for a WS punish opportunity. If you can predict their crouch, you should try to land a hopkick, Junkyard Kick Combo or Dragon Storm.

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Starting to think FC UB+4 is one of Law's best attacks.
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
df+1, then hopkick, is a great mixup, I think!

Mix it up with:

A grab, f+2+3, df+1+2, f,f+3+4, 1+3, 2+4, or

A high crushing low like d+1, d+3+4, or even db+4,4, since opponents know df+1 is -1 and they tend to jab, or

1, since 1 is really fast and +1 on block, good to setup a sidewalk or maybe db+3, a non-high crushing low, or

df+1,3,2, a string that will hit if a) the opponent tries to do ANYTHING after the df+1 is blocked, or b) does not block crouching or low parry! Or,

Standing basic 4. Even though df+1 is -1 on block and the 4 can be jab interrupted, the risk is definitely in Law's favor, since his 4 is 11 frames, only 1 frame slower than his basic jabs. Or,

b+4 for if you expect them to sidewalk, which is a true homing attack.

All in all, Law's df+1 is probably one of his most important, BEST overall attacks, despite its poor damage, tracking, range, and high hitbox.
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Law 1,2,f+2 is great to push them towards the wall while applying pressure, and 2,f+2 is a safer version of it.

Looking at mid pokes that don't go BT, Law's df+1 has such crappy range that I like some other moves more despite the fact that they are slower and worse on block.

Last edited by forest16 on Mar 14th, 2014 at 06:42

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
b,N,B,db,d,df,d,df+3
^
This is a very fast way to do a Slide out of a backdash, especially if you are like me and you like to use the BDC method:

b,N,B,db,N,b,N,B etc.

2,f+2 has more range than b+3! It only does a tiny pixel of damage at that range, since only the second hit will hit, but DAMN! The range is massive on 2,f+2. Very useful for rushing down a turtle.

You can use df+2 as an anti-rushdown move while backdashing and turtling. That's really how you should play most of the time when not poking, just turtling and using df+2s to try to catch them as they dash in with an attack.

The same goes for standing basic 4, but standing 4 is faster. It is only a launch on counter-hit though, and it is a high attack.

Both df+2 and standing 4 are safe on block, so they are both great ways to start an offense on a turtle while turtling yourself.
sspaajms120
O.T.K.
PSN: sspaajms60
XBL: Steam:PileUpOTK120
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
i would have to give props to d+2,3.A 10f high-crushing ch launcher that can be tag buffered,is perfect for when you're being pressured,though like all crouch jabs,the range sucks.
Signature
~ you are limited in what you can do by how much you are ready to do

Put in everything you got to push yourself beyond your limits to a place where there are no limits and you will be ready for anything.
Check out my Youtube videos
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sspaajms120
i would have to give props to d+2,3.A 10f high-crushing ch launcher that can be tag buffered,is perfect for when you're being pressured,though like all crouch jabs,the range sucks.
It's 11f actually, and -17 on block is bad. A huge gamble.
sspaajms120
O.T.K.
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
true,but you're throwing it out when you know its gonna counter.Really effective against very aggressive players,then when they start blocking,then we can go d+4,3.
Signature

Put in everything you got to push yourself beyond your limits to a place where there are no limits and you will be ready for anything.
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sspaajms120
true,but you're throwing it out when you know its gonna counter.Really effective against very aggressive players,then when they start blocking,then we can go d+4,3.
Obviously you have to use d+2,3 to try to get a CH.

I hate d+4,3, a launch punishable low poke? Dumb. And I hate d+4,3 because it made the input harder for Low Kick to Somersault. Namco changed it to d+3+4,3. I despise d+4,3. Other Law players seem to like it. Not me though.
sspaajms120
O.T.K.
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
d+4,3 is -12 on block,and its quite fast for a low at 15 frames.
Signature

mindgames
Champion
PSN: buttoi_man
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
d4,3 is -51851283 on block because the last hit is high. It's an ok move to get your opponent off your face and not much else, db+3 is better as a poke.
Signature aka YOMI
sspaajms120
O.T.K.
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
db+3 is launch punishable(by kazuya) at -13 and its i17.
Signature

forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
In the old Tekkens I used multiple Junkyards like Rip does, Junkyard is really good tbh. You can use b+2, then b+2, abusing the safe 16f mid first hit. Second hit is delayable and low, and if the low is a CH, you get the third hit, a safe mid launcher! What's not to like?