Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Murakumo
1,2,4:4 all day long
PSN: TZMurakumo
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
I decided to put this in here since nothing has been posted in here for some time. This won't be the best guide out there, but it'll be the best start that English-speaking Tekken players can find at release. (If you can read through in Korean or Japanese, there are Tekken Central and Tekken BB). Granted I don't know what the guide has written up on him, but I'll try to get the Ogre knowledge I have in here.

Who am I? I'm a Lee player, most notably. I started competing in TTT1 (join date), and my TTT1 mains were Jin/Baek, Bruce/Bryan, Lei/T.Ogre, and double Ogres. I was waiting for his return. I began testing his moves and frames upon TTT2.0 release in Japan and was quick to call him shit tier--and rightfully so. However, since the update to unlimited (TTT2U), which is essentially what the home version is, Ogre has gained some very small but very necessary improvements. He is now very much playable, and I would put him at a solid B rank. He will do better in some matchups than others, and indeed he can punish many things that would be safe if blocked by other characters.

As a quick aside, damages may be off from practice mode, because these numbers I'm pulling are mostly numbers from InaTekkenWiki. Most of their Ogre frames are up to date now, though.

Ogre's strengths:
- Punishing (range)
- Range
- Movement (front and back)

Ogre's weaknesses:
- Lack of good crushes
- Lack of a quick low
- Short legs
- Movement (sides)

Because of Ogre's lack of a quick counter hitting move, lack of legitimate crushes, and lack of quick lows, it can be very hard to stop momentum from characters like Law and Nina.

How should I play Ogre?
Simple, range your opponents out. Also, you need to make sure to punish everything, and from a crouch, that means you will need to gauge your range because of Ogre's gimpy leg range.
Ogre's range is ridiculous, including his jab. As an MvC2 Dhalsim player, I can appreciate a quick, looooong ranged jab. This jab will help you keep space in the match. DON'T just let your opponents run in. Make them work for it! Range, range, range, range, range. If you can't move, your opponent will walk all over you. Ogre, perhaps more than most characters you see, will seem really strong or really weak depending on the player and opponent.

Crushes
-----------------
This is one of Ogre's weak points if they start rushing you down. My recommendations?

high crush:
dick punches (d+1, FC+2)
b+3 (slow, but ACTUALLY crushes early, minimally punishable, some tracking, juggle on CH, + frames on hit)

... everything else that "high crushes" just doesn't do it consistently or isn't worth it (-frames on hit). I've been jabbed out of d/f+1+2, and floated by jabs out of both u+4 and u/b+3. Combo'd by the same moves they supposedly crush.

low crush: hahahahah... haha. HA... HAHAHAHHAHA, HAH!!!
No, but seriously, I don't think he has anything semi-quick that consistently crushes lows. Then they're all so slow on startup... your best but MIGHT actually be u/f,N+4... gross! I guess there's u/f+3,4,3+4, but I think that's still punishable on block, too (-12 Hwo version). Worth a try I guess.
Punishes
------------
(standing)
i10) 1,2,2 (+4)
i10) 2,2 (-2) [slightly stronger]
i13) d/f+1,1 (+2, opponent crouched)
i14) b+4,3 (+4)
i14) f+1+4 (knockdown/splat)
i15) 3,2 (+7)
i16) u/b+3~F (juggle) [close]
i16) d/f+3,2, b+1_d+3+4_b+1+2 (knockdown and followup) [medium]
i16) u/f+1+2,1+2 (knockdown/splat) [super good range]
i20) u+4~U (juggle)
i23) u/f,N+4

(crouching)
i10) FC+1 (+6) [remains crouching]
i10) FC+1~F (+6) [recovers standing]
i11) WS+4 (+8) [frames, very short range]
i11) WS+4,4 (-3~4, opponent crouched) [damage, short range]
i11) FC+2 (+7) [remains crouching, very good range]
i13) WS+1,2 (+3, opponent crouched)
i16) WS+2 (stun juggle starter) [good range]
i16) u/f+1+2,1+2 (knockdown/splat) [super good range]
i20) u+4~U (juggle)
i23) u/f,N+4

As you can see, Ogre has to deal with not only the frames for the appropriate punisher, but also the range.

Poking
---------------------

As mid pokes...
Safe*
i13) d/f+1 (-5)(+6) 12 dmg
i14) b+4 (-5)(+6) 14 dmg
i15) d/f+2 (-8)(+3) 15 damage
i16) f+1+2 (-9)(knockdown/splat) 24 damage, extra damage on counter and +8~10 frames--splats on counter, too, if you reach a wall
i20) d/b+1 (-4)(+6) 16 damage, opponent crouched on hit
i21) ff+3 (+/-0?) (juggle on hit) [pick up with 3,2]
i11) WS+4 (-3)(+8)
i13) WS+1 (-6) (+5) 13 damage [semi-hit confirmable to WS+1>2 (-12)(+3) 31 damage, opponent crouched on hit]

Unsafe*
i13) d/f+1,1 (-13)(+2) 37 damage, opponent crouched on hit
i14) b+4,3 (-10)(+5) 32 damage
i15) 3,2 (-3)(+7) 35 damage, duckable on block
i16) u/f+1+2 (-12)(-2) 19 damage, hit confirmable to u/f+1+2,1+2 (-20)(knockdown/splat) 46 damage

Other notables*
fff+3 (massive guard stun)
fff+3+4 (massive guard stun)
d+2 (SUUUUUPER LONG RANGE, strangely it tracks well, good stun on guard. I use this a lot in ranged wakeup)
[Boot]1 (-9)(+3) 12 damage
[Boot]1,2 (-10)(+1) 26 damage, hit confirmable to [Boot]1,2,1+2 (-14?)(knockdown/splat) 51 damage

Low pokes
i12) FC+4 (-15)(-4) 12 damage
i16) d/b+3 (-17)(-3) 14 damage, crushes, remain crouched
i17) d/b+4 (-11)(+/-0) 18 damage
i19) d+4 (-17)(-6) 8 damage, crush/CH fishing for d+4,4 (-8)(juggle) second hit is duckable
i23) d/b+2 (-19)(+/-0) 25 damage, crushes, throw on CH
i27+) b+3 (-13)(+4) 20 damage, recovers crouching, juggle on CH, crushes, extendable to b+3,4 (-8)(knockdown)

Other pokes
i10) 1 (+1)(+8)
i10) 2 (-2)(+7)
i10) 1,2 (0?-1?)(+7)
i14)b+2 (-8)(+3) juggles on CH, high, decent range

... as you can see, his mid pokes are not that great, and his low pokes are pretty horrible compared to most of the cast. If you are going to mix your opponent up, try to incorporate lots of throws (its hard to see his hands), and waning moon in particular (massive damage). Other than that, you SHOULD mostly be fighting a game of ranging, not one of a mixup game. As much. If the opponent gets in on you, be patient, punish correctly, and if you have space, move. If not, then mixup, hopefully hit something else, be patient, and move when you have time. That said, i have has some success with stuff like b+4,3, b+4,3. Waning moon. Also, Ogre's SS, while bad, is not as bad as the bears. If you use an attack that forces crouch, you can step away from their obvious WS move side and get something if they whiff.

-------------------
*note*
I'm thinking of adding more in here later, but since everything is just picking up the game now and starting, I'll get to the combos. I'll come back to edit and give a lot of fighting advice within the next 48 hours... kind of tired right now, it's almost 5:00 AM, and I fly back to Seattle in the afternoon.
*/note*
-------------------

COMBOS
----------------------
For the optimal damage combos, you're going to be doing 4 filler hits, then bound, then finish with hcf+2:1+2. If you can't get that execution down, you can also dash, b+4,3,3+4 to finish (this will hit with 4 filler hits then bind, but is more consistent/easier with only 3 filler hits prior to the bind move). They're essentially interchangable if your execution is on.

b+4,3,3+4 carries farther than hcf+2:1+2, but the latter does slightly more damage. Also if you make it to the wall during the knees, one of the last hits misses and you come down at a massive disadvantage. The hcf+2:1+2 also recovers faster mid stage, so you can continue to pressure a bit more.

There are, of course, many possible variations. I'm sure we will find some better than these in short time, too. These, at least, are the ones I'm using now.

u/b+3~F, [Boot] 1,2, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

u+4~U, [Fly] 1,2,1+2, B!, b+4,3,3+4
(I never use this... doesn't crush well like D.Jin's)

d/f+1+2, U/F,N+4, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, ff~b+4,3,3+4

WS+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2
(You CAN finish this with b+4,3,3+4, but if you want to, you should SSL slightly after the initial counter hit in order to realign)

u+1+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

SS+2, u/b+3~F, [Boot]1, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

d/f,d/f+2+4, u+1+2, d/f+2, d/f+2,1,2

1+3, 1+2 (if they tag you can continue as 1+2>1+2 and launch the incoming character)

SS+4, FC,d/f+2

FC,d/f+2, b+1+2

ff+1+2, d/b+3 (unblockable high starter)

[CH]b+3, WS+1, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

[CH]b+2, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, hcf+2:1+2

[CH] d+4,4, b+4,3, 3,2, d/b+1, B!, hcf+2:1+2

NEAR THE WALL
SS+4, FC+4, (w), WS+1,2< B!, IWS+4, f+1+4

ON THE WALL
d/f+3,2, B!, IWS+4, f+1+4 (bind with a quicker move if needed)

ON THE WALL, Post-bind
1,2, f+1+4

In a nutshell?
Move and out-range your opponent--Ogre is the Dhalsim of Tekken.
Punish everything.
Did I mention to move?
Signature Hit confirms and just frames in a mist trap sandwich!
insanelee
tinh yeu
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
maybe add a section for TA! and wall TA

nice job on this Curtis!

bronson.
Signature www.eightarc.com
Keebs
6th Dan
PSN: BlackJaguarXD
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
This is very useful. I was kinda confused as to how I should play Ogre but with this I have more insight.

Thanks.
Signature
Drunken Cop
Raijin
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Hi does anyone know if there is a special tag throw with True Ogre leading and Ancient Ogre as partner? I tried everytihng including FLY+2, d/b+2 (HOLD), and CH throws like f+1+2.
Signature =ToT= Hong Kong branch

Main team: Lei + Ogre
Secondary: Lars + Raven
Evil_Nurse_Anna
Virtuoso
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
what are some Ogre's wall Tag ender?
aside from qcb+2 works with jinpachi
f1+4 on kunimitsu..
Keebs
6th Dan
PSN: BlackJaguarXD
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
u/f, u/f+1+2, 1+2
1,2, f+1+4
d/f, d/f+3+4, 3+4
u4, 2 - Though afaik this only works with Jack-6. Possibly works with JC too.
d/f + 2,1,2 - Works if you don't use a lot of filler hits, otherwise disregard.
WS4, f+1+4
Signature
WeaponX
Iron Fist God
PSN: X_Copies
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Nice guide. I have a few questions.

What's the best move to wiff punish? Something that would succeed all the time and is worth doing.

Would you recommend side stepping or side walking with Ogre?

If people pitbulling Ogre is a big issue, are there any reliable set of moves to stop their momentum?

What's his best juggle off of a low parry?

What would be the most reliable move just to stop Lei or Eddy mixups from the ground?
AZYG4LYFE
Play FFRK
PSN: CKT_AZYG4LYFE
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by WeaponX

What's the best move to wiff punish? Something that would succeed all the time and is worth doing.

If people pitbulling Ogre is a big issue, are there any reliable set of moves to stop their momentum?

What would be the most reliable move just to stop Lei or Eddy mixups from the ground?

1st question. Whiff punishing well IMO, to start of with as a staple f+2 and or u/f+1+2,1+2 is good for getting into the habit of whiff punishing everytime, taking it a step further 'maybe' hcb+2:1+2 (at it's fastest) if you're in open space, if you're close to a wall stick with u/f+1+2,1+2, dunno if anyone could add or opposes this somewhat.

2nd. Probably not as much.

3rd. CHb+2 (i14), or his i10 jabs, though to be fair I don't have as much matchup vs pitbull characters

Your last question is something I'd like to hear from, I was thinking maybe going into Ogre's fly stance and using FLY 2 grab would help somewhat (if they stood back up from their stance) or just FLY 3+4 to evade. There could be a better solution however.

AZ

Last edited by AZYG4LYFE on Sep 26th, 2012 at 23:32

Signature Currently playing (addicted to) FFRK. Global Friend ID: GBNP JP Friend ID: QZseY
Twitter:@AZYG4LYFE Please PM or tweet me if you have any questions/issues! ラッキークロエ twitch.tv/AZYG4LYFE

WeaponX
Iron Fist God
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by AZYG4LYFE
1st question. Whiff punishing well IMO, to start of with as a staple f+2 and or u/f+1+2,1+2 is good for getting into the habit of whiff punishing everytime, taking it a step further 'maybe' hcb+2:1+2 (at it's fastest) if you're in open space, if you're close to a wall stick with u/f+1+2,1+2, dunno if anyone could add or opposes this somewhat.

2nd. Probably not as much.

3rd. CHb+4 (i14), or his i10 jabs, though to be fair I don't have as much matchup vs pitbull characters

Your last question is something I'd like to hear from, I was thinking maybe going into Ogre's fly stance and using FLY 2 grab would help somewhat (if they stood back up from their stance) or just FLY 3+4 to evade. There could be a better solution however.

AZ

For wiff punishing, I do use uf1+2, 1+2 but I feel like that's not good enough. I want to launch if there is a good way in doing so. So I have been trying out bd to crouch and if something wiffs then I do ws2. I have a problem with that because I have to crouch after a back dash, which things doing always wiff. So I tried df1+2 to wiff punish. This one will either wiff because of bad range or will be blocked because it's too slow. I would like to hear any success from others using better tools to punish.

I tried ss or sw and I keep getting hit. Would be nice to mix that up with ss2 or ss4 but they don't seem to be viable for me because I can't evade in the first place.

When people pitbulling me, I would think to use f1+2. Perhaps someone can give me more insight on that move so I can be more confident in using it. Other than that, I have been using 12, 22, df1, b3, d1, or b2 to try stop people poking like crazy. I dunno, I feel like I could do better than that. As Murakumo mentioned about defending well or pitbulls will walk all over you, I feel that defending can only get you so far. People will just keep attacking if there's no threat on the way. So if you keep defending without applying any good pressure, what is it going to take to make them stop? I know low parry can stop their momentum for a bit because I need to know the best combo for it so I can use it.

Whenever eddy and lei goes to the ground, I use 1+2. db1 works against eddy's relax but will wiff on lei. So my mind is set to always do 1+2 when people go to the ground for mixups. Any better suggestions?

oh and what's the best combo to do after wall splatting them with that df df 1+2 throw.
KINGofIRONfist
Malec
PSN: Malec1983
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by WeaponX

u/f+1+2, 1+2 is his best whiffpunisher, its fucking easy and dose good damage/wallsplat and has a huge range, little more range on f+1+4 and thats all u need for whiffpunishing

never ever try to sidestep moves or setups or whatever with true ogre if your not 100% sure it realy works

against pitbulling on range b2 ch fishing, 1,(2), iws1,2 are your best friends, on close range d1 at the right moment to interupt them

low parry, b+4,3, 3,2, f+1+4 is the best low parry i found out so far

3,(2) and d/f2 are hitting those low stances pretty good so far for me
WeaponX
Iron Fist God
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by KINGofIRONfist
u/f+1+2, 1+2 is his best whiffpunisher, its fucking easy and dose good damage/wallsplat and has a huge range, little more range on f+1+4 and thats all u need for whiffpunishing

never ever try to sidestep moves or setups or whatever with true ogre if your not 100% sure it realy works

against pitbulling on range b2 ch fishing, 1,(2), iws1,2 are your best friends, on close range d1 at the right moment to interupt them

low parry, b+4,3, 3,2, f+1+4 is the best low parry i found out so far

3,(2) and d/f2 are hitting those low stances pretty good so far for me

Great! Yeah I thought so on that uf1+2, 1+2 to be the best option for wiff punishing. Sucks that ss and sw are not recommended. That is a very good strategy to have for wiff punishing. I guess Ogre doesn't have that like everyone does except for Jack I wonder if that's the reason why people use Jack/Ogre combination not just for the wall combo but having similar game plan.

For pitbulling, I never thought about using using iws12 as a random poke. It's i13 and safe so why not. Yeah I use d1 to stop almost everything. Perhaps I use mix that up with df1 just in case they try to hop kick me.

oh man, I forgot about 32 for grounded lei or eddy. I would say that would be the best choice since it's i14 and could possibly pick up them if they try to do something.

Thanks a lot.
prncejrge83
Berserker
PSN: protege_00
XBL: DeaD BeaNz
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
i dont know why murakumo say he doesnt have good low crushes...he says he NEVER uses u4,+3
since its slow...but man to me it works despite being punishable if you can anticipate your opponent lets say like a a jack low db1, i can just do that move since to me its quick and bam! a juggle to take an opponents life away...
also ub3, like asukas move...although punishable...anticipate a low...and throw it out..and thats another juggle
Signature "use any technique that works, never limit myself to one style, but to keep an open mind " van damme bloodsport
" practice until you can meditate and nothing can distract you so that you see and feel nothing except your own energy" shidoshi
bloodsport
pachi_grw
6th Dan
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
wt abt d/f,d/f+2+4, u+1+2, 3,2 pick ups.i have seen that in japanese video and it hits for a full bound combo.
AZYG4LYFE
Play FFRK
PSN: CKT_AZYG4LYFE
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by pachi_grw
wt abt d/f,d/f+2+4, u+1+2, 3,2 pick ups.i have seen that in japanese video and it hits for a full bound combo.

just do a small dash after WM so it's: WM ff~u+1+2, 3,2 etc

takes some practice to get used to, but it's not too much of a challenge.

AZ
Signature Currently playing (addicted to) FFRK. Global Friend ID: GBNP JP Friend ID: QZseY
Twitter:@AZYG4LYFE Please PM or tweet me if you have any questions/issues! ラッキークロエ twitch.tv/AZYG4LYFE

TekkenBlackBelt
Kyu
XBL: TekkenBlackBelt
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
This entire topic has helped me...thank you.
Signature "the mind is the root from which all things grow. If you understand the mind, everything else is included." - Bohidharma
DrBhup666
Iron Fist God
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Nevermind

Last edited by DrBhup666 on Jul 13th, 2013 at 01:03

Signature When I die, I wanna go peacefully in my sleep, just like my grandfather did. Not kicking and screaming, like the passengers in his car.

prncejrge83
Berserker
PSN: protege_00
XBL: DeaD BeaNz
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
congrats to bronson tran for getting 2nd place in evo with ogre and jinpachi!
nice job beating nin...i also like the tag assaults you used with jinpachi...im going to used them to my advantage...
and glad you learned the waning moon max juggle on certain characters....
you did though miss one against knee's devil jin...
you can also do u1+2 3,2 then db1 bound...
other then that your poke game and throw mixup is amazing....definitely going to add that to my game
Signature "use any technique that works, never limit myself to one style, but to keep an open mind " van damme bloodsport
" practice until you can meditate and nothing can distract you so that you see and feel nothing except your own energy" shidoshi
bloodsport