Page Splits 123>...4
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
mylvis
Shihan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Wang Jinrei T6:BR Complete Guide

Dear Wangsters, decided to make this guide since I noticed there isn?t one.
Sure there's plenty of information but it's scattered all around the forums, which makes it harder to read and remember all important things.

Hope this will help you who are already playing Wang and make more people take interest in him.

Mods, be free to add or edit content.

1st of August: Finally doing some updates after long break, hopefully getting this guide ready soon.

Legends

Terms that applies to Wang:

WM = Waning Moon (d/f,d/f+2+4)
DF = Deathfist (qcf+2)

1.0 Introduction
-1.1 Movelist & Framedata
-1.2 Character ranking
-1.3 Fighting style
2.0 Punishing
3.0 All about juggles
-3.1 Launchers
-3.2 Bound (B!) moves
-3.3 Juggles
-3.4 Bound (B!) enders
4.0 Wall game
-4.1 Wall combos
5.0 Oki & traps
6.0 Guaranteed followups and other good to know stuff
7.0 Movelist analysis
8.0 FAQ

1.0 Introduction

Wang is a poker, and most players prefer playing defensive with him. He has great lows, scary wall game, FC mixup, good tracking, best throw and parry in the game.

The only thing he lacks is solid standing punishment since the only thing you get till -15 is 1,4 or 2,3. Also his u/f+3 doesn't have range and you have to use f+2,2 for some moves.

Whiff punishing is where he shines. Due to his really small hitbox some juggles won't hit him and even qcf goes under mids sometimes. Also his backdash is really good which makes opponents whiff easily if they're not careful. His ws punishment is fine too, KND/wallsplat with ws+1,1 at -13 (e.g. Heihachi's d/f+1,2) and lauch with hopkick at -15.

He does have a decent oki, all lows hit grounded and d+2 leaves you FC for mixup. It's easy to pick up backroll with cc b+2,1 for juggle.

He also has a evasive CH launcher, parry, reversal and punch sabaki. He is definitely solid mid tier at least.

Originally posted by fightinggm
i think wang is pretty solid, he has madd safe lows, quick ass pokes, a ten frame counter hit thats only jab punishable, and he has a scare FC game with safe mid wallsplatting option and knockdown low. And his keep out game is annoying. underrated character for sure. Hes lame.

Originally posted by Lingmassacre
I like Wang

But really, his problem is punishment. He can't hopkick punish all -15f moves. -10 to -14 is just plain bad. However, if as a player, you already use +frames from poking strings as punishment, this is survivable.

Where he shines is keep out, hit and run, wall pressure, and throw/throw oki. You can't leave him alone and he isn't terribly easy to rush down. Played a certain way, he can fend off top tier players while requiring VERY little brain power.

Originally posted by Jelo
Strength are his non existent hit box, when he back dashes he can evade highs, throws and some mid attack like none else. In some situations he's even better than Alisa in the first back dash.

He also have pretty decent poking, at least one poke low with advantage on hit and high crush lows with range.

His Waning Moon throw is the most damaging throw in the game granted the juggle afterwards.

His range is surprisingly good considering how small he is and looks.

At the wall he has a semi good 50/50, a total safe wall splatting mid FC~f2 that mixes with his FC,df43 (broken arrow)

In my eyes he's at least a solid mid, maybe even upper mid character.

Originally posted by The Game
Surprised that I don't see a lot of people use him.

Originally posted by Pzikoo
People should use him .

/ JFK

1.1 Movelist & Framedata

Movelist: Here

Framedata: Here

1.2 Character ranking by Pzikoo

Punishment: 2/5
His f+1,4 reaches really far. Can punish Bryans b+4 out in the open. Does 25 damage but it is consistent. 2,3 for max damage at -10. His i15 hopkick, u/f+3, has really poor range so sometimes he has to do f+2,2 instead. So he sometimes can't get a launch until -16 but otherwise his punishment is nothing special. He doesn't have a designated 12 frame punisher. f+2,2 can sometimes even punish Hei's f,f+2 and b+2,1 has really good reach. His WS-punishment is just about average. It is just that he has trouble with launching certain types of lows that are -16 to -18, if there is pushback on block (when u/f+4 will not reach).

Offense: 3/5
Wang is really good at poking. His f+1 reaches really long. d/f+4 is one of his absolute best pokes together with d/b+3. His magic 4 is really nice and does 74 dmg. This together with the best throw in the game, when it comes to damage (waning moon) and all his defensive options (parry, reversal, absorb move (ws+1+2), sabaki and his evade move (d/b+1+2). He can keep his opponent on his toes. d/f+2,1 is a really good whiff punisher due to it's reach. But be sure you will hit, otherwise it is you that are getting launched. Bow and Arrow really shines at the wall too (fc d/f+4,3). So he is quite good at poking imo.

Whiff Punishment: 4/5
He has so many good moves for whiff punishing. The range is ridiculous on f+1,4, b+2,1, f+2,2, d/f+2,1 and d+1+2. So he has several types of whiff that differs in speed, so you can almost always whiff punish any type of attack.

Keepout/Panic: 3/5
His ch 4 has a really nice dmg output but the range isn't that great. His u/f+4 hopkick is much better suited for panic attack than u/f+3 due to better range. You can sometimes use d/b+3 as a panic move too, due to its really long reach and high crush ability.

Oki: 2/3
His juggles that end with d+2 after bound gives exellent oki. You can threat with a mid or low move that hits grounded and if they try to block it you can get a pickup that leads to bound. Bow and Arrow really shines at the wall due to the guranteed d+2 or d+4,d+4. Both of them leaves Wang FC and if the opponent tries to stand up after that he is in Wangs deadly FC game; FC f+2 which leads to a wallsplat and is safe or another BnA. His oki from his 1+3 and 2+4 throws is really good.

Damage: 3/5
His damage output from poking is nothing special and his damage output from his standard launchers (u/f+3 and u/f+4) is nothing special on walless stages. When it comes to damage with walls Wang is above average. 97 dmg from u/f+3 and 112 dmg from d/f+2,1. If we are talking only juggle damage I must put it 4/5 because of there is only 4 infinite stages and it is so easy to take you to a wall in BR.

Total: 17/28

1.3 Fighting style

Wang has very good defensive tools (parry, reversal, good movement etc.), but he can also build some pressure with his pokes. While Wang has good whiff punishment(d+1+2, DF, d/f+2,1), he doesn't really have many offensive tools from far range. For example if you are playing against Mishima you can try to high crush with d/f+3+4 if they are spacing you with EWGF.

But honestly I think where Wang excels is right in front of his opponent. As Wang has fast pokes with great tracking this can be quite troublesome for your enemy. Using for example: d/f+4(,1)_b2(,1)_1,1(,2)_magic 4_f+3_1+2_d/b+3_d+2_f+4,1+2 you can build good pressure while opponent can't really sidestep at all. Also upfront you can buffer WM which is quite scary as even top players can't always see it.

If the opponent is really agressive try to keep him out with stuff like d/f+4(,1)_d/b+3_magic 4_1,1(,2) or just parry/reversal if you feel like it. As Wang has great movement, try to use that to your advantage and get your opponent to whiff and punish it.

At the wall Wang can be such a beast with multiple moves with lots of + frames on block, safe wall splats, FC mixups, i10 CH wallsplat and more.

Here is a great Waning Moon tutorial by TekkenLive!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2.0 Punishing

Standing

10f ? 1,4 (24 dmg +5 on hit)
10f ? 2,3 (28 dmg +1 on hit)

14f - 3 (? dmg, knockdown)

15f ? f+2,2 (36 dmg, knockdown)
15f ? u/f+3 (15 dmg, juggles)

16f ? d/f+2,1 (30 dmg, juggles)
16f ? u/f+4 (27dmg, juggles)

20f ? d+1+2 (26 dmg, juggles)

Crouching

11f ? WS4 (22 dmg +5 on hit)
13f ? WS1,1 (37 dmg, knockdown)
15f - u/f+3 (15 dmg, juggles)
16f ? WS3,2 (42 dmg, knockdown)
16f ? d/f+4,3 (34 dmg, knockdown)

d+1+2, d/f+2,1 and DF are mainly used for whiff punishing.

3.0 All about juggles

3.1 Launchers

NH:

u/f+3
u/f+4
d/f+2,1
d+1+2
f+1+4
f,f+1+2

CH:

(d+2,)1+2
d/b+1+2
d+4,1
d/b+4,2
magic 4
ss+4

3.2 Bound (B!) moves

1+2
d/f+1,1
ss+1+2

3.3 Juggles

u/f+3_d/f+2,1_d+1+2_f+1+4:

f,f+2, f+1, f,f+2, f+1, 1+2 B! = 54/69/65/99 dmg
f,f+2, f+1, b+2,1, 1+2 B! = 49/64/60/94 dmg
f,f+2, f+1, dash 1, d/f+1,1 B! = 49/64/60/94 dmg

u/f+4:

1+2 B! f+4, f+1, ff+2, d+2 = 68 dmg + oki
1+2 B! f+4, f+1, b+2,1,1+2 = 68 dmg + carry
1+2 B! f+4, f+1, d/b+4,2 = 64 dmg + carry

f,f+1+2:

d/b+2,d/b+2,4,2 = 52 dmg
d/b+2,4, d+3,4 = 52 dmg

CH (d+2,)1+2_d/b+1+2_d+4,1:

b+2,1, b+2,1,1+2 = 55/63/66 dmg without using B!
b+2,1, f+1, 1+2 B! = 51/59/62 dmg
b+2,1, f+1, dash 1, 1+2 B! = 54/62/65 dmg
f+4, f+1, dash 1, d/f+1,1 B! = 57/65 dmg (doesn't work with d+4,1)
1+2 B! f+4, f+1, ff+2, d+2 = 68/77 dmg + oki (doesn't work with d+4,1)

CH d/b+4,2:

f+1, b+2,1, f+1, b+2,1, 1+2 B! = 64 dmg
f+1, f+1, d/f+1,1 B! = 62 dmg
f+1, b+2,1, b+2,1<1+2 = 68 dmg + carry without B!

CH 4:

f,f+1, b+2,1, 1+2 B! = 48dmg
f,f+1, f,f+2, 1, qcf+2 = 54dmg
f,f+1, f,f+2, 1, 1+2 B! = 54dmg
f,f+1, f,f+2, f+4,1+2,2 = 61dmg
f,f+1, f,f+2, d/f+4, 1+2 B! = 56dmg
1+2 B! = 40dmg

CH ss+4:

WS+2,2 WS+1,1 = 55dmg
cc, b+2,1 1, 1+2 B! = 44dmg
cc, b+2,1 b+2,1,1+2 = 49dmg
FC,f+2, 1, b+2,1, 1+2 B! = 56dmg

Weird juggles:

u/f+3, u/f+3, f+1, b+2,4, 1+2 B! = 44 dmg
u/f+3, u/f+3, f+1, dash 1, d/f+1,1 B! = 44 dmg
d+1+2, u/f+4, b+2,1, f+1, 1+2 B! = 60 dmg
d+1+2, u/f+4, f+1, d/f+1,1 B! = 58 dmg

Here are some other variations: Combo list involving you WANG

3.4 Bound (B!) enders

d+2 = leaves you FC, oki
b+2,1,1+2 = carry
qcf+1,1 = carry
d/b+4,2 = carry
qcf+2 = max damage

4.0 Wall game

The old man can be quite scary at walls.
Some moves that help you build pressure:
f+3 = safe homing move that wallsplats
CH 1,1,2 = wallsplats AND only -12 on block
FC d/f+4,3_f+2 mixup
ss+1+2 = +13 frames on block and +10 on hit

4.1 Wall combos

B! f+1, DF
B! b+2,1,1+2
B! f+4,1+2,2
B! d/b+2,4,1
B! b+2,1, DF HARD

5.0 Oki & traps

Coming soon.

6.0 Guaranteed followups and other good to know stuff

Guaranteed stuff:

WM -> d+1+2_DF_d/b+4,2_back throw (d+1+2 and back throw are by far best options)
b+1+2 -> d/f+1+2 (punch sabaki must be done)
f,f+4 -> f+1+2 or f,n,d/f+1+2
FC d/f+4,3 -> cc d+3+4_d+2_d+4,4 at the wall
CH 1+2 -> d+2

u/f+3 float:

If your opponent jumps or does a move which causes him to be in the air and you do hopkick at the same time you get a float. You can connect f+1 for full juggle.

In general Wang can get get float combo from like everything since jab hits so low.

7.0 Movelist analysis

Coming soon.

8.0 FAQ

Q: Why people don't play Wang?
A: Probably because he is old and ugly.

Q: Are there any combo videos for T6BR?
A: Here is sithlord's: The ol' Wang is still hard

Q: What are Wang's item moves?
A:
Sledgehammer: b+1+2+4
Summoner's Wand: 1+2+3
Jiang Shi hat: 1+2 when you're lying down on the ground face up.

Q: Who is the best Wang player?
A: Well Korea has 3 notable Wang players: ok, Lee3 and HoobasTANK. Japan has RAUM and his team won SBO '09. Can't really say who's best but I like ok's style the most.
Here Here

Last edited by mylvis on Aug 1st, 2011 at 15:20

mylvis
Shihan
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
space
mylvis
Shihan
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
more space
sithlord
THE EMPEROR
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Give me a few days to do the trap vid. Weekends are usually busy for me with little time for Tekken.

If anyone wants to send me their Traps (VIA PM ONLY please) that would be great. I will stick your name in the credits.

I'll PM you some stuff to add and such later.

Signature "I'm looking forward to completing your training.
In time, you will call me: MASTER."
HARDCOAR™©®
Join the DARKSIDE
mylvis
Shihan
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by PltnmNgl
Perhaps you should mention weaknesses so that beginners may know what they are getting into.

Also, how detailed is the crouch dash section going to be?

I already mentioned his only "real" weakness in introduction, standing punishment. More information will be in "Fighting styles" and "Character ranking".

Well, I'll do analysis of every move and that counts crouch dash moves (qcf/sway) as well.

But if you have something in mind that should be in this guide and isn't (no heading at all) or you have something to add PM me
sithlord
THE EMPEROR
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Thread stickied.

I will clean up the posts that have had their questions answered/ideas inserted into the guide as time goes by.

I hope to start on the trap/oki vid after the weekend.
Signature "I'm looking forward to completing your training.
In time, you will call me: MASTER."
HARDCOAR™©®
Join the DARKSIDE
Sw!tchblade
Iron Fist God
PSN: Hunting God
XBL: Jiin
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Hi guys!!

I would like to get some help from you, I will be competing on a tournament here in the philippines.. i'm the only WANG player here in the Phil. tekken Community who is active.(Lame)..

what are the best strat for wang in tournament basis? coz i know it will be not like any other casual match..

i would also like to help you guys to complete the GUIDE..

Switchblade
Filipino Wang Player
Current Rank: Juggernaut
Team: MSGN
Signature I'm not TOTALLY USELESS........................ I can be used as a BAD EXAMPLE.
manu_G
Berserker
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Sw!tchblade
Hi guys!!

I would like to get some help from you, I will be competing on a tournament here in the philippines.. i'm the only WANG player here in the Phil. tekken Community who is active.(Lame)..

what are the best strat for wang in tournament basis? coz i know it will be not like any other casual match..

i would also like to help you guys to complete the GUIDE..

Switchblade
Filipino Wang Player
Current Rank: Juggernaut
Team: MSGN

help?, i dont know too, hehe..
i think you have to be good and you have to be lucky

i'll be competing too, in the timezone tournament, i just hope there'll still be remaining slots

good luck to you, man...and other Wang players

Last edited by manu_G on Aug 25th, 2010 at 12:04

Signature iman
manu_G
Berserker
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sithlord
Thread stickied.

I will clean up the posts that have had their questions answered/ideas inserted into the guide as time goes by.

I hope to start on the trap/oki vid after the weekend.

that's interesting, a trap/oki vid..

and also maybe some strats for pick up, is that on the oki also?

and also catching opponents while in the air, when to jab and interrupt

i see what I can PM to you
Signature iman
kazijana
Lone Wolf
PSN: Toffeemandariini
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
theres no mention 112 in the panic moves and ff1+2 for whiff punishing (maybe f1+2 could be there too) also df3 and maybe ff4 (seeing as its +f's) for offense. why's that???

awesome guide
Signature Tofma
Death By Nines
Kyu
PSN: Death-By-Nines
XBL: Jay Nines
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
I just recently picked up Wang after getting a bit bored with Lars/Lee... he is a ton of fun to play and I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for this thread!
DarkKnucklesTE
Kyu
XBL: DarkKnucklesTE
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
very nice guide its helping me out as a tekken noob
mylvis
Shihan
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Death By Nines
I just recently picked up Wang after getting a bit bored with Lars/Lee... he is a ton of fun to play and I cannot tell you enough how grateful I am for this thread!

Good to hear this guide is helping you guys, still it's not ready :S I have been quite busy lately and don't know when I have time to finish this.
Signature My Tekken 7 notes
Pzikoo
Sage
PSN: MBOLIBOMBO
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
I don't want to appear like an usual idiot, claiming to have anything that resembles a life or anything. But I just want to point out that when I answered mylvis' PM, where he asked me of my opinion regarding Wang's punishment, oki etc, that I wasn't sober at the time. So I will try to give a new answer when I have the time and please have other peoples opinions about him as well. Because I think that no one has the "actual truth" regarding much in Tekken.

Great work, and I am glad you take the effort to contribute!

/ JFK
Signature No thanks.
Sw!tchblade
Iron Fist God
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
I like share a trap i usually do..

u/f+3, ff+2, f+1, ff+1, d/f+1~1 (B!) d/b+1 (will hit when the opp doesnt tech), f+1, f+1, b+2,1,1+2..

damage = 90

Last edited by Sw!tchblade on Sep 14th, 2010 at 03:32

Signature I'm not TOTALLY USELESS........................ I can be used as a BAD EXAMPLE.
manu_G
Berserker
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Sw!tchblade
I like share a trap i usually do..

u/f+3, ff+2, f+1, ff+1, d/f+1~1 (B!) d/b+1 (will hit when the opp doesnt tech), f+1, f+1, b+2,1,1+2..

damage = 90

i also do post B! d/b+1 sometimes
but not on high level players though

ei, sir check PM...
Signature iman
Sw!tchblade
Iron Fist God
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by manu_G
i also do post B! d/b+1 sometimes
but not on high level players though

ei, sir check PM...

For tech rollers, d/b+1 will whiff but you can quickly input WM, it will interupt any WS move that the opp will do and go for the free combo/BT throw.

PM replied
poking starter
Champion
PSN: -
XBL: -
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
This is my first post sorry for any mistake

some of my combo

uf3,4,ff+2,b2,1,1+2 B! qcf2 70 dmg (need deep dash ff+2)

uf3,4,ff+2,f4,f1,1+2 B! qcf2 71 dmg (work on opponent left side)

uf3,4,ff+2,f+1,ff+2,1+2 B! qcf 2 75 dmg (marduk only)

b2,1,ch1+2 dash d4,n4,d+3 55 dmg

b2,1,ch1+2 dash db2,db2,4,2 60 dmg

ff1+2,d+3,4,f1+2 52 dmg

ch wakeup kick3 cc d3,4,f1+2 44dmg

parryb1,3 ff+2,f+1,df1,1 B! db2,4,1 67 dmg

wall combo

(after juggle if you send to wall by f1,4 or b2,1) W! ssl1+2 ,db+1,qcf 2

qcf2 W! backdash magic3 ,1+2,B!,f+1,qcf2

W!(after juggle) f+1,df1,1 B! f+1,db2,4,1 (bigs only)

warning moon db4,2 f+1,ff+2,f+1,ff+1,1+2 B! qcf2 94dmg

warning moon db4,2 ff+2,f+1,ff+2,f+1,1+2 B! qcf 2 102 dmg max damage (very hard)

wang back throw W! f+1+2+3 95dmg

warning moon W! 1+2 B! d+2,fc3 (FCdf4,3 if they don't tech)
Signature -
Sw!tchblade
Iron Fist God
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by poking starter

some of my combo

uf3,4,ff+2,b2,1,1+2 B! qcf2 70 dmg (need deep dash ff+2)

uf3,4,ff+2,f4,f1,1+2 B! qcf2 71 dmg (work on opponent left side)

uf3,4,ff+2,f+1,ff+2,1+2 B! qcf 2 75 dmg (marduk only)

b2,1,ch1+2 dash d4,n4,d+3 55 dmg

b2,1,ch1+2 dash db2,db2,4,2 60 dmg

ff1+2,d+3,4,f1+2 52 dmg

parryb1,3 ff+2,f+1,df1,1 B! db2,4,1 67 dmg

wall combo

(after juggle if you send to wall by f1,4 or b2,1) W! ssl1+2 ,db+1,qcf 2

qcf2 W! backdash magic3 ,1+2,B!,f+1,qcf2

W!(after juggle) f+1,df1,1 B! f+1,db2,4,1 (bigs only)

warning moon db4,2 f+1,ff+2,f+1,ff+1,1+2 B! qcf2 94dmg

warning moon db4,2 ff+2,f+1,ff+2,f+1,1+2 B! qcf 2 102 dmg max damage (very hard)

wang back throw W! f+1+2+3 95dmg

warning moon W! 1+2 B! d+2,fc3 (FCdf4,3 if they don't tech)

Nice contribution there man! i like the wang back throw to f+1+2+3
manu_G
Berserker
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by poking starter

some of my combo

i did'nt know you could insert f+1+2

nice

Signature iman