Page Splits 123>
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey y?all, I?m doing a section for BR Kazuya that?s similar to my 6.0 Heihachi write-up. Most of you will hopefully be up-to-date and familiar with the terminology, however if you aren?t then here they are.

- cd = crouch dash. f,n,d,d/f
- wd = wave dash. f,n,d,d/f,f,f,n,d,d/f repeat
- ld = light dash. Same as wd but you do roughly around 6 ? 9 in one second.
- ewgf = electric wind god fist. f~n~d~d/f+2 or f~n~d/f+2
- dewgf = dash wind god fist. f,f~n~d~d/f+2 (I?m not going to get into an argument about the command here)
- ddewgf = deep dash electric wind god fist. f,f,f~n~d~d/f+2
- cc = crouch cancel. When in crouch, ss or f,f.
- ch = counter hit
- ws = while standing. Putting the stick into neutral while crouching and doing a move during the standing up animation
- wr = while running. f,f,F
- ss = side step. u,n or d,n
- sw = side walk. u~U or d~D
- P1 = Player 1 (left hand side)
- P2 = Player 2 (right hand side)
- h = high
- m = mid
- l = low

Anyways, let?s get into the nitty gritty of Kazuya.

Defense
This rendition of Kazuya is a lot more defensive than his 6.0 counterpart due to losing the pressure that f+4 and d/b+4 used to provide. As such, Kazuya relies on his awesome (whiff) punishing ability and spacing tools to allow him to survive and catch up. With BR Kazuya, defense is hands down the most important aspect to his game, which is why this section is first.

Punishing
Kazuya is HANDS DOWN, no. 1 punisher in the game. Take advantage of this and a lot of opponents will be afraid to randomly throw out punishable moves against you.

Standing
- 10f: 1,1,2 (25 dmg, KD)
- 11f: b+1,2 (33 dmg, KD)
- 12f: 1+2 (22 dmg, KD)_2,4 (25 dmg, +5)_2,2 (30 dmg, +6)
- 13f: ewgf (23 dmg, juggle)
- 14f: d/f+2 (21 dmg, +5), b+2,4 (24 dmg, +?)

From crouch
- 11f: ws+4,4 (31 dmg, -4)
- 13f: ws+1,2 (22 dmg, juggle)
- 16f: ws+2 (25 dmg, juggle)
- Big block stagger (law d/b+4 etc.): cc, ewgf or cc,f,f+3.

Moves with good range
This section is about tools that players should be using for Kazuya?s spacing in his ground game. The skinny?

- ewgf_wewgf_dewgf
- f+3
- d/b+4
- d/b+3
- d/f+2
- ws+3_wd,n+3
- f,f+3
- f+4
- cd,n+4_ws+4
- u_u/f+3
- Basically any wd_ld move

The nitty gritty
ewgf_wewgf_dewgf
- h
- 13f, launch, +5 on block
- big push back
- range can be extended
- The pushback on this game paves way for his mindgames, a standard offensive approach that a lot of mishima players. I?ll cover more about that later, basically just know that the range on this move is very good.

f+3
- m
- 14f?, +on hit?, -12/13 on block
- push back
- CH gives oki options
- BIG range
- This will be your main go to whiff punisher, it?ll keep your opponent in check if they like to throw out moves from a distance.

d/b+4
- l
- 20f, +3/4 on hit, -12/13 on block
- 20 dmg
- more on CH

d/b+3
- l
- 19f
- 0 on hit
- slight crush window

d/f+2
- m
- 14f, +5 on hit, -12 on block
- tracks both ways, bit weak to Kaz?s left though
- CH gives a juggle

ws+3_wd,n+3
- m
- homing/white trail move
- 21f, KD on hit, -9 on block
- Tracks both ways, I?ve hit an opponent from BEHIND me with this move before.

f,f+3
- m
- 20f, juggle on hit 0 on block?
- This is part of the reason you don?t duck against Kaz as it leads to a very juicy juggle up close. If you?re too far away you go for a stomp.

f+4
- m
- 19f, +7 on hit, +3 on block
- KD on CH
- This move is more so used offensively, which I will cover later on.

cd,n+4_ws+4
- m
- 11f execution from ws+4, +8 on hit, -3 on block
- range can be extended
- Usually used from a distance as a way of chipping the opponent?s life.

u_u/f+3
- m
- 19f, KD on hit, -9 on block
- low crush
- This move has better than expected range, can be very useful at the start of the rounds.

Keepout
CH fishing
Kaz isn?t a particularly CH orientated character, but used properly he can be DEVASTATING. The main move to look out for and use is d/f+2 as it can lead to huge damage. A lot of you know that I?m talking about ch d/f+2, ewgf launch. It can be a HUGE asset, as the risk/reward is heavily in Kazuya?s favour. To be able to do this, you need two pre-requisites and that is to be able to do a 13f ewgf relatively consistently and have a good sense of timing.

13f ewgf
To practice this and make it consistent, you need to be able punish -13 moves with ewgf. Examples include Steve?s ws+1,2; Leo?s d/f+2. For those with DR on ps3, you require 2 controllers. Follow this video?s example. Steve is the best person to practice on, set the opponent to ws+1,2, d/f+1+2 or DCK 2.

Launching after ch d/f+2
To be able to do this, you need to pay attention to a few visual cues that appear on screen. There are a number of them and any single one can be used. They are?
- Kazuya?s hands return to normal position
- Kazuya?s head returns to normal
- The opponents? left knee will JUST touch the ground.

For more info, check out my youtube video here.

Safety
In all honesty, there are days when you will get ch d/f+2, ewgf launch very consistently and days where you won?t hit it at all. Knowing your skill level is very important and as such you may prefer doing a safety juggle off ch d/f+2. There are several around, check out the combo threads on the Kazuya board.

General Keepout
- 1,1<2 (make sure you hit confirm this)
- ewgf
- ss, b+2<4
- u_u/f+3
- b+1+2

Kazuya doesn?t really excel in this department, but he has everything that he needs. He doesn?t need crush moves as he has awesome ws and standing punishment.

Crushing/Evasive moves
Evasive
- b+1+2 ? Sway back move, juggle on CH, safe on block.

High crush
- b+2<4 (slightly)
- d/b+3
- FC,d/f+3+4

Low crush
- u_u/f+3
- u/f+4

Last edited by Shotokan on Jun 1st, 2009 at 15:30

Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
Shotokan
#Unity
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Offense
Offensively, Kazuya doesn?t really pile on the pressure unless you know how to use his ewgf game well and in order to do that, good execution is required. Other than that, his general pressure with f+4 and d/b+4 is relatively average now, but does require that you mix it up with defense every now and then to keep the opponent on their toes. The general idea is to force your opponent into wanting to do a jab, which are very low priority in this version of tekken, allowing ss, ewgf to work very well and allowing you to apply more pressure later on.

General poking

- 1,1<2 ? must be hit confirmed
- b+2<4 ? quite an underrated move imo
- d/b+4
- d/b+3
- f+3 ? some characters can punish this on a consistent basis so you need to pick out those that can and can?t. If anyone could write up a list of those that should be able to and with what move, I?ll be happy to edit this section and put the list here and maybe test them too.

You may have noticed and yes you?re right, Kaz isn?t a very particularly pokey character and as such he?s not used in a very intuitive manner. The way he applies pressure and damage is via his punishment, whiff punishment, ewgf mindgames, m/l mixups, SLIGHT ability to mixup and +f moves.

ewgf mindgames
Ok, as we all know, ewgf is known as one of if not the best move in the game. The pushback that it provides combined with the +f puts a Kaz player in a pretty advantageous state. The general rule of thumb is to not allow a Mishima player and especially a Kaz player any breathing room as it allows a lot of open space to apply these ewgf mindgames. Ok, so let?s get down to it?

Off a blocked ewgf, the opponent has 4 options usually

- Backdash
- Sidestep
- Duck
- Interrupt with a move, usually a good CH one.

The advantage that ewgf has is that the pushback puts Kaz at nearly the optimal range for his main follow-ups. The 4 defensive options that the opponents usually follow can be counter-acted by the following options that Kaz has.

- f+3 to catch backdash
- wd,n+3 to catch sidestep and/or duck
- f+3 to catch duck
- ewgf in the same spot/backdash ewgf to catch those interrupting with a ch move.

If you?re successful with that mindgame over time, ewgf will be your main source of lock down for Kaz. After a blocked ewgf an opponent may start to be more defensive, hold back and block etc. This is where your wd mixups will start to work. Provided this is a good skill to employ, Kaz doesn?t really NEED to wd mixup, it?s just a quicker way for him to get damage. The simple mindgames that I mentioned above are enough to get him through IMO.

Contribution from Aken:

Originally posted by Aken
if they like to do magic 4 or if u r dealing with move like Steve b+1 ur options r

1 = ld ewgf I know its hard but look fking leet if u land it lol
2 = wd wgf this look noob but it is most effective imo
3 = cd fc d/f+3+4 this is easiest option with less reward n less risk)
4 = wd fc d+4 just to poke them
5 = dash up duck then Tp ... sound noob again but it work

ps:
u guys should try using wgf more

Also, to add to that, you'll also get some idiotic players that tend to generic d/f+2 from a distance. This is when waiting for the opponent to do that move and whiff punishing it comes in handy.

Note 1: To get this to work you really need to make sure your opponent doesn't just random duck against your ewgf though. Mix up with a lot of wdc,ws+1,2, wd,n+4 and wd,f,f+3.

Note 2: You also need to pay attention to your opponents' defensive tendencies (do they try to interrupt? do they try to sidestep? do they hold back? do they backdash? etc. etc.), if you can pick out what they normally do and which one they tend to lean more towards to, this will help you a lot with your offense.

wd mixups
- f,f+3_cdc,ws+1,2
- cd+4,1

Those are the go-to moves out of wd that most kaz players usually use.
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
Shotokan
#Unity
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Saved space
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
Shotokan
#Unity
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
More saved space
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
ejgarcia17
Berserker
PSN: Drey
XBL: <ZAF>\/\/ () \/\/ EJ
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
tnx shotokan this helped me alot but I need tips on when using hellsweep..
Signature "5 is my favorite number"
DarthSolidus
Master
XBL: Rheinlander
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
remarkable guide. thanks very much! but there's one tiny mistake that should be corrected to not confuse beginners: d/b+4 is a low, not a mid as you wrote.
Signature Better hard sex than hardly sex...

Trust me, I know what I'm doing
moN nihciM
Iron Fist God
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey Shotokan, awesome guide but a few mistakes I've noticed.

22 and 24 is 12f now.
ejgarcia17
Berserker
PSN: Drey
XBL: <ZAF>\/\/ () \/\/ EJ
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
@Mon really..?
Signature "5 is my favorite number"
freaky ponbiki
2nd Dan
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
My main is Paul but my secondary is Kazuya,but when I play with Kaz I have learned that alot of my opponents are always ducking because they are either looking to duck the EWGF and punish Kaz afterwards or to duck and block a hell sweep to punish Kaz. I only try to concentrate on using mids like d/f+4, ws N+4, d/f+2 d/f+1,f+2 and d/f+3. I have also learned never use d/f+1,2 and d/f+1,4 as stand alone because a smart and quick opponent will block d/f+1 and duck the second hits respectivelly and punish Kaz. Maybe Im just new to this but sometimes when I'm Kaz and someone blocks my d/b+4 if the opponent moves toward after block sometimes I can catch them with a twin pistons to launch them. For my strat its hard for me to just come out with EWGF. I usually I have to catch opponents with EWGF at the begining of the match after the announcer says "FIGHT", side step then do EWGF. or CD cancel and find an opening with EWGF. Usually with CD cancel I can catch opponents with F+4 or d/f+2 for CH. I hope these hard lessons I've learned can help other Kaz players especially if Kaz isn't their main chracter.
Abigan2K
Iron Fist God
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by freaky ponbiki
My main is Paul but my secondary is Kazuya,but when I play with Kaz I have learned that alot of my opponents are always ducking because they are either looking to duck the EWGF and punish Kaz afterwards or to duck and block a hell sweep to punish Kaz. I only try to concentrate on using mids like d/f+4, ws N+4, d/f+2 d/f+1,f+2 and d/f+3. I have also learned never use d/f+1,2 and d/f+1,4 as stand alone because a smart and quick opponent will block d/f+1 and duck the second hits respectivelly and punish Kaz. Maybe Im just new to this but sometimes when I'm Kaz and someone blocks my d/b+4 if the opponent moves toward after block sometimes I can catch them with a twin pistons to launch them. For my strat its hard for me to just come out with EWGF. I usually I have to catch opponents with EWGF at the begining of the match after the announcer says "FIGHT", side step then do EWGF. or CD cancel and find an opening with EWGF. Usually with CD cancel I can catch opponents with F+4 or d/f+2 for CH. I hope these hard lessons I've learned can help other Kaz players especially if Kaz isn't their main chracter.

you really need to use cd~ff+3 its the only move that i really envy as i main dvj
its safe and gives out a combo and tracks 1 side

@shoto

you really need to put something about ewgf being easily whiff punished.. i dont think its one of the best moves in the game now.. id say its just a slightly faster d/f+2 that hits high

b+2,4 is an underrated poke because it has very very short forward range. 1 t6 backdash [mind you thats small] will make this move whiff [the move is safe on block yes but its devastating on whiff]

Originally posted by Aken
if they like to do magic 4 or if u r dealing with move like Steve b+1 ur options r

1 = ld ewgf I know its hard but look fking leet if u land it lol
2 = wd wgf this look noob but it is most effective imo
3 = cd fc d/f+3+4 this is easiest option with less reward n less risk)
4 = wd fc d+4 just to poke them
5 = dash up duck then Tp ... sound noob again but it work

ps:
u guys should try using wgf more

im not very sure that wgf consistently crushes b+1 or magic 4

but id say the best move to do is cd fc d/f+3+4 [can also be done faster by f n d D/F+3+4]

theres some weird properties with this move that allows it to be safe even for 11f ws moves [since opponents recover from FC]

for the most part.. good job on the guide =)
Shotokan
#Unity
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey guys, atm I'm pretty busy with uni and general playing. I'll get back to writing more of this thing later on. I have a few page full of things that I wanna test out properly, but no time and everyone here is too keen on playing proper matches.

Originally posted by moN nihciM
Hey Shotokan, awesome guide but a few mistakes I've noticed.

22 and 24 is 12f now.

Originally posted by DarthSolidus
remarkable guide. thanks very much! but there's one tiny mistake that should be corrected to not confuse beginners: d/b+4 is a low, not a mid as you wrote.

Thanks, I'll change those things now.

Originally posted by freaky ponbiki
snip.

Regarding mid choices, I tend to do a lot cd,n+4 from range. Also, I will make sure I use cdc,ws+1,2 every now and then to make sure they don't random duck. It might be unsafe but the damage pay off is pretty good. Also, a good wewgf will make sure that the opponent respects your wd, I find that a lot of people are afraid of it and will get defensive when they see it. u+3 is a good move too.

The universal thing with every character starting at the round is to make sure you don't get too predictable. Kaz is no exception to this rule, if you're wanting to use ewgf at the start of the round because it's a good way to get a head start or whatever... you'll get owned for it.

A lot of my opponents will tend to bd at the start of the round for fear of getting owned by d/f+2 or ewgf. So I do a cd mixup and usually it catches them.

To make sure they don't duck against you, you need to mix it up with f,f+3, f+4, b+2<4 etc. Kaz is a difficult character to use because you need to pay attention to their tendencies quite a bit. You should ask yourself a few questions about them; Do they like to duck a lot? Will they continue to duck even if you spam a mid on them? Do they like to interrupt? Those are a few questions that should help you.
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
CaliCool
War Lord
PSN: Topcat13
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
Shotokan, good darn job. I actually picked a lot from this and started using some of moves that I never tried like f4, ff3. (I know, I'm basically a Kaz newb) I'm looking to carding Kaz too and even though I still can't wave dash and ewgf consistently, I think it'll come over time.
Signature Tekken 6: BR - - -
Paul Phoenix: [SFP] MotionFlow (1st Dan)
"small minds discuss people, great minds discuss events"
- Team SFP -
... clawing and grinding, must get out of the green ...
lizanias
Spread Tekken <3
PSN: xtc_LZN
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
I have a question

It seems at -12.. Kaz has 3 moves, that can punish & knock the opp. down.
So, which one should I use then?

And btw, thx for this awesome guide. I actually have more confidence in my Kaz,
after I read your guide.
Signature INDONESIAN Tekken scene = http://www.indotekken.com
ArcadePimp.com, Aussie's best Tekken site..
moN nihciM
Iron Fist God
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by lizanias
I have a question

It seems at -12.. Kaz has 3 moves, that can punish & knock the opp. down.
So, which one should I use then?

And btw, thx for this awesome guide. I actually have more confidence in my Kaz,
after I read your guide.

Near the wall:
- b+1,2 for wall splat
- 1+2 for a free B! follow-up (d/b+2 or u/f+3)

Out in the open:
- 1+2 if you're really good with DEWGF x3 follow-up
- b+1,2 for KND and 50/50 WD mix-ups
- 24 or 22 for + frames

Personally, 22 or 24 is worthless unless you want to throw your opponent, usually scrubs, off-guard. I've noticed that if I throw out a 24 against scrubs, they tend to jab and this is where I do a quick duck into TP.
Belsha_Kazuya
Virtuoso
PSN: <BTS>
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Can I ask? How's that frames working? I'm a newbie here about Kazuya.
If negative frame, they can punish you back?
But if positive frame, your move isn't punishable?
Isn't that it? So sorry for the question. Hope anyone will reply.
Signature <BTS> - Bohol Tekken Society
Hiyaaaa! <BTS> TO
Drunken Master. <BTS> My_Princess<3
Wavedash to Electric Wind God Fist is the best! <BTS> BelshaZuya
*Be proud if you are a 1st Dan, because you will never get demoted.
lizanias
Spread Tekken <3
PSN: xtc_LZN
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Belsha_Kazuya
Can I ask? How's that frames working? I'm a newbie here about Kazuya.
If negative frame, they can punish you back?
But if positive frame, your move isn't punishable?
Isn't that it? So sorry for the question. Hope anyone will reply.

I hope this can answer all your questions..

http://sdtekken.com/t5dr/frame-data-guide/
Signature INDONESIAN Tekken scene = http://www.indotekken.com
ArcadePimp.com, Aussie's best Tekken site..
Telepath
Raijin
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
great thread, and great read!!
Signature "Random is God-Like, because God is random." NaclaM"

TEAM JUSTICE!
fightinggm
new challenger
PSN: soma1672
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
great thread, i learned alot xd
Signature http://www.facebook.com/BGFightingGM
www.twitter.com/fightinggm www.fightinggm.com www.facebook.com/fightinggm
GYG 08, Crown the king of NYC 2008, 2nd at MTG, 2nd at ECT 2010, 2nd at Mlg Columbus, 2nd at Mlg Raleigh, 4th NCSS 2010 1st WCG Fight Club 2010, Wcg 2010 usa national champion, MLG number 1 Seed 2010, 1st Midwest championship 2010 NEC 2010 teams 1st, NCSS 2010 teams 1st Winter Brawl 3 teams 1st ,ECT 2010 2nd, MTG 2010 2nd 1st extravangaza 14 1st Winter Brawl 3, Winter Brawl 4, Rumble in the thundra 3, KIT 2011, 1st ECT 2011, 1st Final round 2011,1st NEC 2011 , 1st Winter brawl 5 2012 tag 2, tekken 6, Assembly finland 2nd, 3rd final round 2012, 1st power up 2012, ECT 4 1st
Belsha_Kazuya
Virtuoso
PSN: <BTS>
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by lizanias
I hope this can answer all your questions..

http://sdtekken.com/t5dr/frame-data-guide/

Thank you very much for the answer! Now I get it.
I really appreaciated it.
God bless..
Signature <BTS> - Bohol Tekken Society
Hiyaaaa! <BTS> TO
Drunken Master. <BTS> My_Princess<3
Wavedash to Electric Wind God Fist is the best! <BTS> BelshaZuya
*Be proud if you are a 1st Dan, because you will never get demoted.
KomboKaze
2nd Dan
PSN: KomboKaze
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
appreciate the thread..

still having trouble lightdashing.. I get very inconsistient the longer I do it

Its just something about Lightdash though.. maybe because it gives some sort of morale and pressure going... idk >_>

someone please make a vid lightdashing with balltop

and is the b+ 1,2 safe on block (the new move)