Page Splits 123>
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Sambekzx
5th Dan
PSN: Sambekzx
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
I was bored yesterday and was reading Tekkencentral, a Korean Tekken forum. Some of the most viewed posts were bashing Nin, written by his own teammates post-2007 SBO. Here's an example that I've translated in all its glory by my limited Korean skills. Please bear in mind that I'm not that fluent in Korean so I may have messed up some of the nuance (the money bit was hard to understand). I'll translate Qudans and 200won's stuff when I have time. Nin's response, too (of course he denies everything).

By Naengmyun Man on Sep. 3, 2007. http://super.gameshot.net/tekkencen...sc&no=58464
-----------------------------
First of all, I am really embarrassed about crudely posting this kind of stuff on a public form before going off to the military. However, I felt compelled to write here, so here goes nothing. I'll tell it all from the beginning.

Korean Tekken is a truly dirty business. Every situation where there is a major tournament, where large sums of money are involved, or where there is TV broadcasting, it's all controlled by Nin. I feel that it's pretty much like a monopoly.

Because of him, many crazy incidents have occurred and many other players have held serious grudges. A lot of craziness happened especially during the Tougeki Qualifiers. There was one major incident but we stayed put at the time. I want to say at the outset that it was because of him that we were able to go to Japan and that our hands are not completely clean, either.

We had a tie score during the first qualifier round that may have led to a rematch. But when we went up against the Holeman, Persona, Lunalena team, Holeman went easy on us, allowing us to advance. In the final qualification round we went up against the Knee, Borami, Tongbal Sarangi team with a 4-1 record. But, because Knee had expressed no desire to go to Japan, he deliberately lost to us. I feel very sorry to Borami and Tongbal Love. So, we ended up going to Japan by placing first.

You probably know without me telling you about the corruption in the Korea team but the craziness had started even during the qualifiers. Because I'd rather have 200won or Qudans personally write about the corruption in the Korean team I won't go into it here. If I were to summarize, however, nothing was done cleanly from the qualifiers to the finals.

Also, something that I felt while playing at the Green Arcade a while ago was that Nin's behavior really did not reflect how one should behave as a Korean representative. He would go into tantrums if he lost one match. If the opponent either won or if he lost a ranking match, he would change cards. If the opponent refused to play, he would threaten to chase him to the ends of the earth with endless challenges. This crap would anger me to no end. At first I thought it was simply his strong pride. But as time went on, the excessiveness increased and finally peaked in an incident with Sodam who was much older than him. Using disrespectful language, he yelled at him saying things like "it's no fun playing against you" and to "never forget it." This caused a few players to leave Green Arcade. Who could enjoy playing if every time 200won or another player beat him then they'd get this dude coming over the top of the machines [machines in Korea are arranged so that people play opposite each other] and berating them with stuff like "so you like playing s*** like that?"

It appears that he built up a reputation even in Japan. He was reported to have gone into a temper tantrum and started pounding the machine when some unknown player racked up consecutive wins against him. So his reputation has hit bottom in Japan as well. On this trip to Japan, we were able to see what the Japanese players thought of him once more.

As for money problems, he had clearly claimed that he had received $15,000 from Sony for broadcasting pay and sponsorships. Although we didn't have sponsorships, we definitely heard that $15,000 in sponsor money was given for the broadcast of the 3rd Tekken tournament. He said that he thought that Knee's $280 sponsorship cut for the French tournament was too small and that this time he thought he could line up a lot of sponsor money and give us $300 each. But, when we got the money for the tournament appearance, he gave us a total of $150, $50 per person. Honestly, at first we thought that $280 was a lot of sponsorship money for one person and that he meant $300 per team. Of course, he didn't tell us about any problems that he would have with the money. We didn't think that a $20 difference from $280 was that big a deal. Furthermore, we had used our own funds to take care of the traveling expenses to Japan. The support from Korea and Japan was to be $300 per person. In comparison, the plane fare was $540. So we were shocked when it was reduced by so much.

At first he told us we were to receive $1150 in prize money from the Green Arcade. So Qudans accepted the money. But later on, we found out that $460 of it was a loan to Qudans for his expenses. We had unwittingly become indebted to Nin. Later on, 200won and Qudans agreed to accept the money under those terms. Even then, Nin turned the whole thing into a complicated affair and complained that 200won and Qudans were gold diggers when they had only asked for what was rightfully theirs upon their return to Korea. I was shocked that he would badmouth his very own team members like that.

Nin had proposed to Arcadia that they hold a 3-way battle between the Japan, USA, and Korea teams. Arcadia agreed and made preparations to broadcast the event. After the Tougeki Tournament, all the players gathered. But, he refused to play and left the scene after complaining that no one would admit that he had only lost the tournament because of faulty joysticks. The Japanese and foreign players got very mad, so we tried to apologize to them. As a result, Arcadia and the Japanese organizers said they were very disappointed and would reconsider inviting Korean participants to future events.

Also, there is the issue of Nin's monopoly over foreign tournaments. We think that opportunities to go to such events should be given through fair tournaments. But, he goes off to places like France and other places without telling anyone. Recently, there was an Italian tournament where Qudans and 200won got to go because they were invited. Nin somehow found out. So, Nin talked with 200won and said some bad things, forcing 200won to make it clear that he wanted to go. Afterwards, when Tissuemon contacted Nin, Nin told Tissuemon that he managed the Korean Tekken scene and that he shouldn't contact the others, but should come to him first.

I fault him for his monopolistic control over tournaments and the way he has behaved. Water that stands still is bound to spoil.

The reason why I write this is because Tekken 6 is coming and because the same things will happen again. There might be another Tekken 5R league tournament soon, but the players will probably be selected irrationally.

I wrote because I could stand it no longer. Thinking I was alone in my thoughts, I talked with many other people. It appears many other Green Arcade regulars think the same. Players outside of Seoul also think the same. That is why I came to write this.

I really miss the days when I got to know Nin from Tekken 4 and had a lot of fun. I wish he didn't judge people based on their Tekken skills but looked at himself and realized his misdeeds. I wish he would realize his mistakes and fix them even now.

Finally, to the folks who run the Green Arcade, I am truly sorry.
av kazama
Fear the wrath..
PSN: av2k
XBL: av2k
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
wow

That is really unbelievable of nin.. O_o to do such awful things and suprising too since he's just a good player.

Thanks for the read!
Signature Iron Fist Crew: Crow/Kor/av kazama
KOR
SOUTH AFRICAN TEXAN
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
wow.

nin is a baddie

FUCK BOB!
Signature I WILL ATTAIN PERFECTION
Originally Posted by EDDY PISTONS:
I could say we dont play in tx, or you know practice, it would make for a easy excuse but we are texans, we don't know what that means
GMMA.US
Vick
Iron Fist God
av kazama
Fear the wrath..
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Vick
Nin Tarantino.

ROFL
Twenty One
Dragon Lord
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
hmmm
btw who are you?
Signature 인생은 철권이다!
Sambekzx
5th Dan
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
A bit vague on the details, but interesting nonetheless.
----------------------------------------------------
Posted by 200won on 9/3/2007.

Honestly, I never thought that this kind of stuff would happen. I write because I was personally involved in many of the situations and have have felt many things about it. I also write because I've spoken with Naengmyun and many other Tekken players and have come to the same conclusions. I needed to gather courage up to the time of this post.

==================================================
===========

First, I want to apologize for the Tougeki results. For sure, I had told everything I knew at the time, and I think I was right in doing so. I want you to know that there is nothing false about what I posted in the past concerning the Tougeki qualifiers.

However, the things I have learned afterwards in general came to me as a surprise. Although it's hard to go over each and every detail, it is a fact that Nin manipulated events outside of the game to get from the qualifiers to the finals. Many were victimized because of this.

I hope those who were affected would post their own accounts when they read this. I came to know about this only after the fact. I am truly sorry that I didn't say something sooner, but gave into my fears rather than think that a chicken like me could bring about change by shining some light on the matter.

The reason why I bring this up all of a sudden is to hopefully prevent this from happening again. I heard that he was the instigator of these events, and apart from this instance, had had been doing things improperly outside of the game environment. Although I do not know the full details, it would be safe to say that Nin had monopolistic control over entering foreign competitions.

Also, even though he represents Korea, many players avoid Green Arcade. Everyone hates playing there. Even if you win, you don't feel good. And if you lose, you feel bad. So they don't play. If he loses to someone who he thinks he can beat, he makes snide comments that really harass people. I had experienced this before, and I thought he had changed. But seeing him lately makes me pity him. He had always given a hard time to players who came from outside of Seoul, players from other games, or players who were regulars at other arcades. I've seen it happen to Soyoundol and Daddy-do (Appa-do).

Also, recently, there was a fight between Knee and Nin. Although I don't know their history, I couldn't help but be disappointed as I watched. He would physically beat on people. I have no clue what would bring about such behavior. I don't even know if it's something to do with Tekken. Could there really be a reason for someone to hit another? Especially someone who is out there representing Korea.

Could everything be a misunderstanding on my part? No. The saying, "where there's smoke there is fire" comes to mind. I felt that I should only judge from my personal convictions even though everyone had a grudge. But, now my convictions have become the same as everyone else's.

Also, problems are ongoing because there hasn't been a real resolution to the issues surrounding the support money for Tougeki. Right now, I haven't seen 10 cents of the support money from Green Arcade.

It should be a real simple calculation. Because Nin is making things complicated, I am having trouble understanding what's going on. Among the 6 people who went to Tougeki, 5 people are saying all the same things. They are all in agreement, but Nin is making the calculations complicated and he's obscuring how he's arriving at his numbers. So we don't know really how to respond. We approached him about this, but his distressing response have formed the main reason why I'm writing this.

Actually, what does it matter if we get the money sooner or later? (Although I am in need, hopefully I'll get it before I go off to the military). But even if I get it later, I don't think I can be happy about it. I'm sorry that I was going to keep mum on the stuff above. But I'll keep my chat logs with Nin to just the two of us, and not release the conversations about the game and stuff that would link other people and bring misconceptions about them.

I really think one shouldn't judge another by their gaming skills. It makes me even ponder whether I would have gotten more money if I had beaten Matador.

Although it's all good and well that one is passionate about Tekken, I don't think it's right that one judges someone on their Tekken skills, or berates them if their Tekken style doesn't match his standards, or thinks that they should never lose and have a mindset of 100% perfectionism.

According to Nalking, he's requested that the results of the Ulnol Tournament not be publicized. This, of course, is pure ridiculousness. Everyone has times where they lose and when they win. I wish he would face up to this fact. And I wish that he would give people fair opportunities.

Also, I wish that all the maniacs who play Tekken and then engage in "real tekken" (physical blows) or make it hard for people to concentrate on playing by beating up the console or those maniacs who climb up on the machines to trash talk people on the other side would just go ahead and die and have their cards ripped up. I wish those who make fun of others or mess with them while abusing their seniority or background would disappear. Examine yourselves.

I'm sorry to use people's handles, I wish that there be no more bad incidents. Please be aware that such things do not happen for no reason.
Sambekzx
5th Dan
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
A post by Qudans on 9/3/2007.
---------------------------------
I write this because this is really not how it should be. Right now, the Tekken scene in Korea is in shambles. Nin and a few others control it all according to their plans. I really don't want to play in the Tekken scene anymore.

Big tournaments and broadcasted events are all controlled according to Nin's whims and there are those that try to brown-nose him and look good for this reason. It really sucks.

I sincerely apologize for my poor performance in my representative role at Tougeki. I really wanted put on a great fight since I delayed my military service for it (the others feel the same). Our elimination came as a hard blow. So I tried to find a way, and talked to a lot of people.

It turns out that the ranked teams were called upon and asked whether they wanted go [to Japan] and were requested to give a pass to us if they didn't have the desire. (I apologize to all Tekken players at this point...) However, all the teams expressed a desire to go, so it became the luck of the draw and rule became that you'd go if got 3rd place or above.

Also, I'll say a few things about Nin. Well, I've never had a good relationship with Nin. I guess there was some kind of rivalry going on, with some real animosity even in the last year. Well, there was a time when I got into an argument with Knee, and it was a matter just between me and Knee. But then last fall, in a 2:2 friendly exhibition tournament at Green Arcade, Nin approached me in front of all these people who were watching giving me flack for showing up, that Green Arcade was his territory, while cursing me out. I tried to stay calm, but I, too, ended up talking smack back at him. That day I really didn't want to play Tekken. Then the whole tournament became about who had the real beef with Knee and who was getting into who's business. Ultimately, I heard that the reason for all this was because I had beaten him in the Dec. 2005 Tekken Lord tournament.

Those in the know understand that this kind of stuff is not a one-time, two-time thing. The Tekken scene is really supported by the will to get better. Because it doesn't get much respect in society it is only propped up by the passion of its players. So then why does he have to nip things at the bud from above? I was doubtful but then became angry and distressed. Perhaps it is for reasons like these that the number of players has drastically decreased compared to the beginning.

Also, the money issues with going to Tougeki. Nin told me that he had bought both our plane tickets with the Green Arcade prize money. But because his salary was coming out late this month, he was broke at the moment. So he told me that I should lend $460 to Naengmyun. Because he was going to Japan with us, I did not think much of it and lent him the money. But after that money issues started popping up on our way to Japan, on our way back from Japan, and even now. I'm frankly disappointed with how he's ignoring the problem. I hate bringing up money problems among acquaintances, but this sucks. Also, everyone has grudges because of his one-man show at Japan.

So that's what I have to say. Thank you for reading. Have a nice day!~
av kazama
Fear the wrath..
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
After I was done reading all of this, it's very sad to see such shady business going on.. especially from people that i know that some from Tekkenzaibatsu look up too. However, I am relieve to see that they try to make things right and go forward like men and set the record straight.

Thank you Sambekzx for sharing this with us even though we're on the other side of the globe. I hope to hear more from the future, but hopfully, good news this time around.
woobumjin
Dragon Lord
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
MarkMan
SDTEKKEN.COM
PSN: MarkManSDT
XBL: MarkManSDT
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
TNT

WE KNOW DRAMA.

This is surprising to me... If the US had a scene as big as Japan/Korea that gets sponsorships... I'm afraid how it would turn out..
Sambekzx
5th Dan
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
This one is just pure bashing goodness. No first hand knowledge of the Tougeki corruption, but criticizes Nin's day-to-day play style and personality. He's using the familiar form of Korean a lot, rather than the typical honorifics used when addressing someone older. So he comes across as a little crass. I tried to carry over a little of that attitude in the translation.

Posted by HelpMe, Sep. 3, 2007
---------------------------------
I didn't think before that it would have to come to this... Me, well... I don't know anything about corruption or whatever. The problems [that I know of] just come out of daily life.

Hey Nin. Can't you stop it with your anal retentive shit? You say "I don't play because Korean Tekken is no fun." I don't know why Knee plays while you refuse to... but who would want to play with you when you get up in everyone's face and start cussing and criticizing them to hell whether they win or lose? You're the kind of guy who can't stand someone rising above you so you start the shittalk. When you're spectating someone's match, you say, "oh that's good, and that's good, too...ah so that's how he does it." But then when that person plays against you... "this f'ing noob has no clue... why the hell did THAT move come out at THAT time?".

I'll give you an example. The General Yang incident. General Yang was around in the afternoon (General Yang is a high school student who plays a really good Steve at the Green Arcade). By the way, Yang and Nin had bad relations from before, but I'll just get into what happened that day. If we hadn't stopped Nin that day, he probably would have beat up on Yang even more and talked more shit. He was just a kid who was much younger than you. And what was the reason? "Ah, he keeps copying my style." That turned out to be the reason............ Guess you better investigate all the Steve players, then.

Also when you played against Daddy-do's ("Appado") Law and he used dragon slide 3 times in a row you berated him saying "you like playing that shit?"

Even besides that, you did the same thing when playing against my Marduk. We played for a long time, about an hour and half. I eventually lost. I was going over to your side thinking "Ah, I lost" to give you props with a smile. "So you like playing that noob shit? [literally "with no concept or idea"]. Then you started laying into me with curses. After that, you ignored me whenever I showed up. Should I not get angry when you didn't acknowledge my greetings and spoke to me so harshly? You never apologized afterwards and even let on like it never happened.

Well you do that not only to me but to others as well..... You did it to me when you met me for the first time... You even did it to people who are much older than you... Who would want to play with you?

Also, I better mention what happened with MBC Game [a TV channel]. If I hadn't already accepted the money offered by the MBC Game people, I would have refused the money and asked them to cut out all of my stuff.

You should take responsibility for what you say. You said that you had received $80 per match at a previous Tekken tournament. And you said the TV producer raised that to $300 in writing. So even without knowing how many matches were lined up, one would think you meant $300 per match.... But then it turned out to be $150 total.... Not only because it's about money but honestly you can't go around changing your story. Also, we didn't ask to be signed up for the Tekken tournament, but we went because you suddenly came up to us and said let's do it. So you shouldn't go back on your word. How can you justify the change from $300 for 3 matches to $50 per match, or $150 for 3 matches, by merely saying, "Yeah.. well... I didn't say $300 per match."? Let's talk frankly. You say we're trying to wring blood from a stone? [the Korean phrase is "to ask for money from someone to the point of cutting open his stomach"] What are you talking about? You say that it was set to $50 because of the circumstances. How can that be the end of it?

So then what are we supposed to do about the money we spent during the 3-4 days in Japan? I think it's more than just a measly $150. Who the hell would want to go overseas and put on a show for just $150? That was the first time I went overseas and we all had plans for Tokyo, but we set them all aside just to do the tournament. "Ah, it was set to $50 so you get $150"......

How's this different from a situation where you bought something advertised as $300, but when you looked at the receipt, the price was adjusted to $600 because of the tax and because you had no coupon?

You probably knew when you saw the expression on my face, but when I was getting the money I felt like shit. I was trying hard to smile all day.....
KOR
SOUTH AFRICAN TEXAN
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
wow insanity.

thanks sambekzx.
I could say we dont play in tx, or you know practice, it would make for a easy excuse but we are texans, we don't know what that means
GMMA.US
Sambekzx
5th Dan
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Nin's response. Posted Sep. 10, 2007. A full week after the Nin-bashing bonanza. Everyone was wondering what he would say. He uses full honorifics when referencing younger people, so he's obviously in a somewhat sarcastic mood.
-------------------------------------
I'll only write about the truth.

1. I never withheld any money.

The problem is the boys don't know how to calculate and didn't come to me about their misunderstandings. It looks like they're finally understanding what happened.
(The boys will know better how much they avoided me and screened calls.)
(There's also the guy who would never take phone calls and went off to the military.)

2. Monopoly over foreign tourneys?

This is also a misunderstanding. I had won a Tougeki once, so I got contacted and I went. The invitation was all up to the organizers so this is also a misunderstanding. (Also, those involved have written about this, but there was no requirement that I go through the qualifiers so I simply went [to the finals]).

3. Monopoly over Broadcasted Events?

This also the boys' misunderstanding. The TV station called me up and told me to come. It's not like I can do anything about it.

(If you're really interested just ask the MBC employees about it. By common sense there is nothing I can do about things like production fees, appearance fees, and broadcasting.)

4. Real fight?

There were a few times when that happened. But, I've never sent anyone to the hospital and there were always reasons for it. Because they've only written from their self-serving point of view I don't want to get into an argument here.

5. Nalking fiction? [something probably brought up in a post that I haven't translated]

First of all, if it's really his card then all he as to do is ask for it. (is that so hard?) Although I understand your desire to bash on someone on a public forum (if you really don't like me, why don't you please come and tell me directly?) This method is really childish. You're not that young, either. But for argument's sake, just because the items are similar doesn't prove that it's your card. If you really want it, why don't you confirm it and then I can give it to you? I have the card because it was given to me by Salgi, who went to the miliary. Even now it has the "Salgi Panda" ID on it. If you want it, you can call me directly. Frankly, there is nothing on it that says it's Nalking's, so I don't know.

Finally, I was taken aback and I didn't want to post, but I wanted to resolve it simply. Also the boys say Tougeki was corrupted, but I had nothing to do with any corruption and it's all news to me. I've grown tired of Tekken Central and Tekken so I don't come out often. I don't like to get get embroiled in flame wars. So, that's all.

p.s. I didn't read any of the Tekken Central postings. I simply responded to what people were telling me. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. Bye.
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
hmm... interesting read... After reading the first few posts I thought Nin was a shady player like AV, but I guess I was wrong. I hope what he said was the truth though.
Stuyvesant
Iron Fist God
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Well, regardless of the truth of it, I hope this promotes better relations in the Korean Tekken scene. Most of us here view it as the overarching Tekken community. If shit in Korea is falling apart, then there ain't much hope for Tekken. Japan ain't supporting this on their own.
Signature Smoking cigarettes and watching cap'n
Sambekzx
5th Dan
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
I don't think anyone knows who's really right or wrong. But one thing's for sure, Nin's reputation sure took a beating. I would definitely take everything anyone of these people say with a grain of salt. They are pretty much kids after all who haven't yet cut their teeth in the adult world. Nin, being one of the oldest, is 25 and at least knows that airing dirty laundry in a public forum is a childish thing to do. But, still, it's hard to ignore all the negative publicity about him. I have no trouble believing that he talks and acts like a gangster in the arcade. Hah.
Kurai Ryu
is SUPERCHARGED!!
PSN: Kurairyu
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
I dunno man - this would have to be a pretty fucked up conspiracy. The odds aren't looking too good against Nin. I'm just turning 21 in a couple of weeks, so I guess I consider myself a kid as well. I could definitely see my reactions being almost identical to 200won, Qudans, etc. They sound like they're telling the truth to me. Nin was very nonspecific about his post. I'd ask for a sheet with all the numbers and "calculations" he spoke of. If he withheld it, house raid. =)

Thanks for the translations Sambekzx
Signature ~aka Nightblade~ "OhRiri?"

Originally posted by MYK [jamgi]
[Kaz]11 party on the wall all day.
Blood Hawk
MISTER King Hawk
PSN: Cyril_Infini
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MarkMan
TNT

WE KNOW DRAMA.

This is surprising to me... If the US had a scene as big as Japan/Korea that gets sponsorships... I'm afraid how it would turn out..

Shady shit already goes on behind the scenes in each regional scene. I'm sure people can attest to that.

In regards to the Nin stuff, you don't bring out personal issues out on a public forum. Its just bad form, and makes the others look like "the boys" Nin refers to them as.
Signature Originally posted by BadMojoGogo
LESSON OF THE DAY:
To play Japanese sticks "properly", you have to be partly or full Asian. Yes, I know. Blood Hawk and Fab do not have any Asian in them.
BUT, both of them are frequently in some Asians. Therefore, they can both play stick well.
Now you know the secret of being a good stick player.
KOR
SOUTH AFRICAN TEXAN
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
i think its like 834384038904 aganst 1 here..

so.

nin is a fool.

ive heard it countless times already.
GMMA.US