Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Gandido
Test Before You Post
PSN: Gandido787
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Seeing as how we get almost a daily thread on this, I'm going to stick this on the very top of the forum, and I'm going to provide as much as I know on the subject (although I think DJ KOR would probably be the best since he's worked on it hard).

Most people tend to conclude that the input for E-step is just d/b, over and over again. This, while true, is a hard enough input every now and then. What you can do to make it somewhat simpler is qcd (from back) and qcu (from back). Always use the back inputs instead of the front ones because you get the random block factor.

For stick players, the input is kinda weird. Personally, for 1P down e-step I use my thumb to push the stick to b, then my index and middle fingers to pull it down. For 1P up, I use the thumb to push it back, then the midpoint between my middle finger to push it up.

2P side down, I just drag from b to d with my middle and index fingers. For 2P side upwards, I almost have to let go of the stick but I use the webbing in between my thumb and index finger to grip the stick and maneuver it.

For pad players, it's like repeatedly turning on a lighter.

Will put more on the subject later since I'm overexhausted.

DJ KOR says: sidewalking is situationally better. in certain situation like to get away from a wake up kick, sidewalking is better, or to get out of a move that has fF properies, sidewalking is better, but in general, sidestepping gets away from most other things.

Last edited by Gandido on May 8th, 2007 at 04:32

Signature "Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Evolution 2008 Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Runner-Up
VR-Fist
Arcade Nexus
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
I personally find this a lot easier on pad. While training this thing, I ocasionally get a jump from my character, which is not wanted, of course.

If you have more tips on Arcade sticks eSS, go on
Signature VR-Fist 仮想拳 - twitter

Czech Arcade (twitter)
Czech Fighting Games Community
Chidori_oO
Kyu
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Hi there. I wonder when to use this SS thing instead of a backdash?
CD-DT
Eternal Student
PSN: SCA__Reborn
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
character specific sidewalking would be a good idea imo to list.

I know that certain characters favor one side vs the other. I only know what some moves are sidesteppable but i'm sure others know which way is best to sidestep/sidewalk.

what's the real difference between bdc (backdash cancel) and kbd (korean backdash). what would be the best way to practice these moves.
Signature Team: Dumb Luck...members 1....level 4....I like long walks on the beach...which usually happen after a long night of drinking
Kray
Iron Fist God
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by CD-DT
what's the real difference between bdc (backdash cancel) and kbd (korean backdash). what would be the best way to practice these moves.

whats da notation for the kbd? Ive never ran into it.

saKrayZne
Signature Hit me anytime for matches, tho I maybe too drunk to answer. 702-542-5637

Sway side to side when I play Tekken, and when I drink... I am "Kray Charles" by Tsuji.
Mundo
Iron Fist God
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kray
whats da notation for the kbd? Ive never ran into it.

saKrayZne

bb~db~b~db~b...

From what I read around here

Mind if I ask if I'm doing any sort of BDC correctly?

From 0:29 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvyvByVBJQ

I'm trying to work on it as much as possible, and I want to know if I'm getting somewhere (admittedly this vid is old).

Just say so if this was posted in the wrong topic/forum, I'll understand.
D.e.f.c.o.n Ronin
Johnny Walked
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
is it possible to estep up as efficiently as down on stick? the side i can best do it is 2p, down; that's cuz i can kinda drum the stick with my fingers. 1p down is slightly slower cuz i gotta use my thumb. 2p up is slightly slower than 1p down because again, gotta use the thumb, but this time i'm going up. 1p up is a damn heinous accidental jump fest, probably because it's all thumb.

any pro advice on how to improve estepping up on stick?
Signature His own gods were simple and understandable. Crom was their chief, and he lived on a great mountain, whence he sent forth dooms and death. It was useless to call upon Crom. He was a gloomy, savage god, and hated weaklings.

But he gave a man courage at birth, and the will and might to kill his enemies. Which was all any god should be expected to do.
JMS
~.~.
PSN: JMS_
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
on stick, i find that it's easier to do it up if you do ufufufuf instead of ubububub. do quarter circle motion with the inside of your thumb for best results.
fatpolomanjr
Berserker
PSN: Dan_Dan_Esteban
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
I find it easier on stick as well, when I'm on 1p, to do the qcu and qcd e-step from forward. The problem is like Gandido said: no random block this way.

Signature Wiggums: "Lou...Lou! Are you alright?"
Lou: "The electric yellow has got me by the brain banana."
The Electric Yellow 8ㅖ
DJ KOR FIJNEMAN
Banned By Mod
PSN: earwicker
XBL: thefookler
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by VR-Fist
I personally find this a lot easier on pad. While training this thing, I ocasionally get a jump from my character, which is not wanted, of course.

If you have more tips on Arcade sticks eSS, go on

yes
arcade stick is a lil trickier, for going up. its best to do small motions. similar to tekken tag. just ub OR uf and then BB to cancel sidestep so u dont jump. and then rinse repeat. its really hard to get away from moves like this, it has to be done PRECISELY as i mentioned like in TAG.

but going down is HELLA easy on stick. all u gotta do is create a backward J with ur stick. and it works!! its harder with some characters like paul, bryan who have sways, theres gotta be more precise.

PRACTICE!!!

Originally posted by Chidori_oO
Hi there. I wonder when to use this SS thing instead of a backdash?

well the SS thing is meant for complete evasion of a move, and hence whiff. backdash is there to create space between you and opponent also there to make opponent whiff. but unlike tag, u cant block out of backdaash which poses a problem. that is why ss bd was so effective in tag, coz u got a block.

in the tekken 5 series, u gotta know WHAT you going to sidestep to be able to use it effectively. so like if ur opponent is really aggressive, BD is not really gonna help you out much, but you could get lucky with a SS. it all depends.

i mean you dont know what ur opponent is going to do, but u can GUESS and read patterns. so like a wr4 or df2 can be ssr and stuff like that. electrics ssl and blah blah.

Originally posted by CD-DT
character specific sidewalking would be a good idea imo to list.

I know that certain characters favor one side vs the other. I only know what some moves are sidesteppable but i'm sure others know which way is best to sidestep/sidewalk.

yes, i can do the character specific sidewalk/step thing.

the real difference between BDC and KBD is just speed.

koreans dont stop, the chracters feet doesnt stop, its a constant move in reverse.
they can get hit out of backdash.

but bdc is slower, its fast too, but its easier to cancel for block, thats all it is.

but without TECHNICALITY they are the same.

Originally posted by Mundo
bb~db~b~db~b...

From what I read around here

Mind if I ask if I'm doing any sort of BDC correctly?

From 0:29 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvyvByVBJQ

I'm trying to work on it as much as possible, and I want to know if I'm getting somewhere (admittedly this vid is old).

Just say so if this was posted in the wrong topic/forum, I'll understand.

you are kinda doing ss~bd, not really a backdash cancel. i mean listen this shit is NOT absolutely necessary for victory. its actually more for show than anything else. just do the notation u listed, and u'll be fine.
Signature said by the 13est:
and 4the record i?m not a stereotypical screaming queer. i?m a black guy with an attitude who sucks cock like a demon.
scrub>shit>diarrhea>spac-a-macaroni
+all his alter egos.loooool.
JMS
~.~.
PSN: JMS_
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by fatpolomanjr
I find it easier on stick as well, when I'm on 1p, to do the qcu and qcd e-step from forward. The problem is like Gandido said: no random block this way.

lol, it evades well enough. i even use f a lot on pad just so i can close in as i ss instead of retreating. it's not too hard to block on reaction if you're being defensive.