Why do some fans think the Unreal Engine was...

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
ICEYOUCOLD
Sage
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
a mistake for Tekken 7? Do you think Tekken 7 is the best they can do graphically? Or can they improve with Unreal Engine 5?
Signature Mains: Kazuya, Jin, Devil Jin, Asuka

dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
What's the argument against Unreal?

I mean I'm not a fan of the way T7 looks, but I'd like to know why people are specifically opposed to the use of UE4 rather than going at Team Tekken's incompetence in dealing with the engine.
Signature Bring back [kunimitsu] for T7!
CHANG39
Expert
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by ICEYOUCOLD
a mistake for Tekken 7? Do you think Tekken 7 is the best they can do graphically? Or can they improve with Unreal Engine 5?

I wouldn't say it was a mistake to go with the UE4, in fact I think T7 is by far one of the few games that looks damn good with UE4, but for me personally I miss how vibrant T6/TT2 in the graphical department, as well as the small details that T7 is missing from the above mentioned games (sweat, snow tracking, hit effects/sparks would actually light up the surrounding area, the dirt/liquid would stick on the characters bodies depending on the area they landed on the ground, also facial animations looked better in those games were in T7 it kinda looks weird because the game is going for a photo realistic aesthetic but yet the facial animation look completely anime, a perfect example of this is Geese's facial animation, looks off).

The other issues I have/had with the UE4 being used for T7 is that some problems are out of Bamcos control whereas if they created their own engine and there were an issue they can easily fix it since it was developed in house, a good example is the input delay that took so long for it to be fixed all the while Harada kept making excuse after another regarding the issue until they finally figured out the lag was completely out of their control.

One more thing and this might just be me but I feel that when a game uses a third party engine and in this case with T7, the game feels more like an UE4 game, just the fact that it uses someone else's engine doesn't make the game feel 'original' if that makes sense, look at the way the RE engine is being used by Capcom for RE2 Remake and DMCV, those two games look insanely good and yet they look like they have soul in them, call me crazy but that just how I view it, wish that Capcom would use the next SF game utilizing that engine.

Again, here is a clip of VF5, a game that came out over a decade ago on last gen consoles around launch window and yet the sand physics is like no other (skip to 28:45):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5KMUlvM4nQ
SSfox
Foxstepman
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
The only real con i can see in UE4 was the hair, even tho it didn't bother me much expect for Lili, i played recently T6 and her hair is really a huge downgrade in T7 (even her face actually,but for this it has nothing to do UE4)

But it seems the People at Namco are learning new tricks,as SC6 characters hairs looks well polished (SC6 also uses UE4)
DG.PRO
Berserker
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
I think the main reason that net code was(And maybe still ,don't know) disappointing on consoles was due to this engine.
lightbeast
Legend
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
I don't know much of the game's many problems is due to the whole Unreal Engine thing, but they obviously did something wrong.
wrazor
Virtuoso
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
The net code issue and the frame input lag in console versions was mainly down to UE. SF5 also suffered the same problems in this regards.
Chinky-Eye
Iron Fist God
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
The transition to UE was inevitable. Namco probably no longer has the resources to develop an entirely new engine, and the wide variety of development tools for UE make it a natural transition. Namco's proprietary engine was clearly showing its age, as you could see from TTT2, which was frankly ugly by modern standards.

My only gripe is that much of the development time was likely taken up by having to essentially remake the entire game in a new engine. That is a lot of time, money and effort spent that is spent towards simply getting to the starting line. I think that's why almost nothing was changed in terms of generic animations and particle effects. In terms of overall look, this is clearly the smallest leap for the series to date.

I am not a big fan of the overly shiny look of UE, which makes everything look wet. The hair physics are bad as well, which is likely the reason why there are so few hair customs in this game. Also, something about this game feels "off" compared to previous Tekkens. The moves don't seem to hit with the same satisfying impact as in previous games, and the animations feel a bit off as well. Not sure whether this has to do with the engine or not, but it's definitely something I notice, having played this series for so long.
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Chinky-Eye
Also, something about this game feels "off" compared to previous Tekkens. The moves don't seem to hit with the same satisfying impact as in previous games, and the animations feel a bit off as well. Not sure whether this has to do with the engine or not, but it's definitely something I notice, having played this series for so long.

Maybe it feels that way because of the screw attack animation. I personally felt it lacks the crunch factor of the bound animation and also cools the pace of juggles a bit because you generally have to chase the opponent and continue the combo after S! ing them.

Maybe, just maybe, it would have been better if, instead of screw, they'd used that exaggerated anime animation from claudio's what's-it-called gut-ripper move.

BTW Claudio sucks. For being an exorcist, he's a boring AF character.
Signature Bring back [kunimitsu] for T7!
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
XBL: Steam:FerDeSantander
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
On consoles it's been the ultimate source for problems, that's obvious.
Signature Long Live the King of Iron Fist, Heihachi Mishima.

Chinky-Eye
Iron Fist God
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by dodecadozen
BTW Claudio sucks. For being an exorcist, he's a boring AF character.

Claudio is boring for the same reason Miguel and Shaheen are boring. They don't have defined fighting styles so their movelists are extremely generic. Claudio actually has somewhat more interesting moves due to the exaggerated animations on some of his stuff, but for the most part he's just a generic fighter with a hopkick/orbital, df+1, and low poke. Totally lazy design by Namco.
PhineBuyM3
Fujin
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
I still play DR and 6 with my boys. In those games I don't randomly get hit or caught in that retarded crumple stun that leads to big damage while I'm back dashing or side stepping. I don't eat highs or low sweeps when I was clearly blocking. This goofy ass shit happens way too much in T7, when I'm playing offline and I think it has something to do with Namco using someone else's engine instead of their own.
Signature
grumpy64
War Lord
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Isn't the unreal engine the cause of the native lag?
Chinky-Eye
Iron Fist God
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
No...it was there in TTT2 as well.
goohs
Banned By Mod
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
After reading Bill Pentz on the internet, i kinda freaked out and decided it was time to upgrade from my 1hp ROK dust collector https://freebears.com/dust-collector-bag with bag filter... I have a small shop (size of a 1 door garage but in my basement) and ally tools are on wheels...so i am using my dust collector on 1 machine at a time...Pentz says that all fabricant of dust collector are boosting up their numbers...Craftex 2hp as 1700 cfm is this can be true or is it much more lower than that? If i buy a super dust deputy with a 30 or 35 gallon bin and install it on my Craftex lets say with a 3-4 foot 6inch duct between the 2 and after that i put the 10' flex hose on the super dust deputy to plug 1 machine at a time as im using it will i loose lots of cfm? Or will it be enough to get the minimum 800cfm needed for fine dust like says Pentz?