Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
PSN: ragepenguin
XBL: GUYFOXMASK
#21 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm just learning steve myself but 1,2,1 is decent on counter hit. I would watch NIN vids as he plays the same team as we do. I need to use more d+2,1~dck myself because people here don't block d/b+2 or alb d+2.
Michin Nom
Legend
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by LatterDaySaiyan
I'm just learning steve myself but 1,2,1 is decent on counter hit. I would watch NIN vids as he plays the same team as we do. I need to use more d+2,1~dck myself because people here don't block d/b+2 or alb d+2.
If they're not blocking these low sweeps, might as well do instant PAB d+2 and PAB d+1 for + frames.
KhronicKicks
Shihan
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
What are all the moves that go into the Peekaboo stance? I know a few have been added since Tekken 6.
Union
Kyu
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey guys.

Just learning my Steve combos and I'm having loads of trouble landing FF+2 at the end of combos. Combo I'm trying at the moment is b+2, d+2,1 ~ duck1, ff+2. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing?
Bopper
Iron Fist God
PSN: MAGUNITO
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
Do it faster .

The one you are trying is actually pretty tight, especially now in tag2 with the reduced hitbox on ff2. If you are dropping ff2 in combos it is usually either that you are doing it too slow or not deep enough (or both) and in this perticular case i would go with too slow ^^.
Signature Brrrrrrrrrrrap
Union
Kyu
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Ah I see, should I be doing the input before the animation of duck1 is finished or do I have to be doing it insanely quick after the hit? Thanks for the reply.
Bopper
Iron Fist God
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
You can do it either by buffering f towards the end of duck 1 recovery, and then timing F+2 ( so buffer f....F+2) or just do a fast ff2. I use the latter but whatever works
Signature Brrrrrrrrrrrap
NormanBurg
Kyu
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
Hi, fellow Steve Fox players,

I have been testing out some approaches and tactics, and I wanted to get feedback from other players.

First, what do you personally do against players that attempt to crouch punch you out of stance mix-ups (pkb, flk, dck, wv)?

This is what I've been using,

Transitions into pkb -

1) after f+2, 1~f (block or hit):
LWV 1, 1
RWV 2
crouch cancel PKB, Low Parry

2) after f+2, 1~f (on hit only):
( I am having inconsistent results with the following )
PKB f+2 ( avoids crouching 2? )
PKB b+2 ( avoids crouching 1? )

The weaves out of peekabo are very evasive and generally if I call a crouch punch
and buffer a weave 2 or weave 1,1 immediately after entering pkb I will catch the opponent.

The f+2 and b+2 out of peekabo seem like they will work b/c Steve moves one of his legs away from the opponent during each move. For pkb f+2 it's his left leg I believe and pkb b+2 is his right. Both moves seem too slow to work if your opponent sees you're in pkb and tries to jab you out of it though.

Flicker Stance:

I've got nothing to keep people from trying to sit jab me out of flicker except for weaves and perhaps flk 1, f+1. Most of the attacks out of that stance are fast, but hit high, so I'm still trying to figure this out.
Any suggestions?
Liquid
War Lord
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
f2,1 is duckable on block though
Signature ...
Bopper
Iron Fist God
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah stay away from f+2,1, its mainly a combo filler. The best way to start a PKB offence is still 2,1~f imo, and now in tag fc df+1. 121 is decent as well.

Unfortunatly most of the time you are not at enough frame advantage to beat generic d+1 with PKB df+1, and you have to commit to PKB uf+2. However do that once and they will never press d+1 again haha. If the sways work as well then 3,2~f or 4,1~f are defenitly good opitions since they are safe and lets you continue your offence.

2,1~f on hit however is listed as +8 in the inatekken frame data, so in this situation df+1 will CH a d+1. I do not really trust inatekken tho (but they might be right in this case) and i plan to make a comperhensive frame data sheet this weekend. Perheps that will grant some insight
Signature Brrrrrrrrrrrap
Sofa
7th Dan
PSN: bestofnorway
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by KhronicKicks
What are all the moves that go into the Peekaboo stance? I know a few have been added since Tekken 6.

Doesn't anyone have a practice mode? It's so easy to find out
Anyways, the following moves goes to peekaboo:

1,2,1~f
2,1~f
3,2~f
4,1~f
3+4~f
3+4~u_d~f
f2,1~f (new)
f1+2~f (new)
b1,2~f (new)
FC df1 (new)

Originally posted by Union
Hey guys.

Just learning my Steve combos and I'm having loads of trouble landing FF+2 at the end of combos. Combo I'm trying at the moment is b+2, d+2,1 ~ duck1, ff+2. Is there some kind of trick I'm missing?

Don't bother with that combo, really... Just go for b2, ff2 B!

It's waaay more reliable, and it gives good damage with TA. You should end up around 80-90 damage.

If you absolutely want more than 50 dmg solo you can also go for b2, ipab df1,1,2,1 B! f2,1~dck1. I find it easier to connect. I always go for b2, ff2 though. Again, it's very reliable and gives good damage.
Signature Steve/Lars
Bopper
Iron Fist God
#32 “Quote” Edit Post
Well if you hit them early in the match you might not want to give them rage, or your partner might have a ton of red life etc. Its always nice to know a non-TA version, it usually comes in handy a lot ^^.
Signature Brrrrrrrrrrrap
Sofa
7th Dan
PSN: bestofnorway
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
Yea, point being, its not worth killing yourself over it. It's not needed for a TA and If he's just starting to learn steve combos, he should probably focus on more important ones. I myself don't hit it consistently in battle, so i'm sticking with a simple b2, ff2 B! SF. It's not that much of a difference. But by all means, for people that have no problems landing it consistently, it's obviously a better option for a solo juggle. No argument there:p

Last edited by Sofa on Nov 18th, 2012 at 01:17

Signature Steve/Lars
Skywalkn on air
2nd Dan
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey folks, I'm interested in learning Steve, Ive dabbled with him since T4 and ive always wanted to main him but Ive never really known where to start! Trying to pick up more characters so I can further my understanding of different playstyles!

I started getting serious about Tekken towards the end of DR-6 and the overwhelming consensus (now) seems to be that he's a lot of hard work for not much pay off....however, I'm not trying to be the best, just proficient and Ive seen good Steve's offline and the play style is just too appealing.

Things I do know about Steve are that he has weak punishment options and a strong ground game. I have the Prima guide, so that gives a small overview for Steve. So what should I start off learning apart from punishers and top 10 moves? I remember a lot of talk about duck cancelling back in the day, what tools do I need to startup my Steve game? Any resources/guides I should be checking out?

Kensjero
2nd Dan
PSN: SteveFoxFighter
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
Spacing, with a spacing steve, ur very powerful.
Try to dash into ur opponent and go for db4,2
If he cathes up' go for uf2

Abuse df2 and b1 :-)
Bopper
Iron Fist God
#36 “Quote” Edit Post
Easiest is probably just to watch Knee play him and XCOPY .

Jokes aside i always find it a good idea to watch the pro´s for a bit when picking up a new char to get a general idea how they are supposted to be played.
Signature Brrrrrrrrrrrap
Skywalkn on air
2nd Dan
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
Cheers for the input, I'm putting in some work with him atm. I've been a bit watching knee and some others, still trying to understand Steve's gameplan. What would you say his strengths are outside of combo damage? I know on a very basic level he has a good ch game but it feels like it's difficult to open people up as opposed to say Bruce ( who I also use).

What are his go to panic moves if someone is locking me down, say with df+1 etc? How viable are his sways as an evasive tool?

How much from T6 is still viable? Can I go back and watch Nin etc and apply the stuff or has the plan/frames changed. Also, are there any decent mids from FLk that will stop people ducking - A flk low would be nice!
Mr. Kaz
Iron Fist God
#38 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MYK [jamgi]
Actually did some testing when I first got the game and pab d1 then pab2 will ch a 13f df1 and ch the hopkick before their jumping crush frames activates.

how about if they try to sidestep and launch you after steve's pab d1? is there anyway to counter that?
Signature rpL:// Mizrachi
Michin Nom
Legend
#39 “Quote” Edit Post
Pab 2... which was already posted somewhere in this thread.
-Da Stunna-
Berserker
PSN: DaStunna_v2
#40 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Skywalkn on air
Cheers for the input, I'm putting in some work with him atm. I've been a bit watching knee and some others, still trying to understand Steve's gameplan. What would you say his strengths are outside of combo damage? I know on a very basic level he has a good ch game but it feels like it's difficult to open people up as opposed to say Bruce ( who I also use).

What are his go to panic moves if someone is locking me down, say with df+1 etc? How viable are his sways as an evasive tool?

b+1~b is his panic move. It's essentially Steve's version of a magic 4, except it's + on block and about 2 frames slower.

Sway is pretty useless in open ground. Against the wall, it's decent because wall push grab gives you a guaranteed 1,1,2. If they catch on and expect the grab, you can mix it up with the mid.

Weaves are nice to have, though. They don't evade much by themselves but if you sidestep in the direction corresponding to the weave (sidestep right before pressing 4) it's not bad at all for counterattacking or just staying in their face.
How much from T6 is still viable? Can I go back and watch Nin etc and apply the stuff or has the plan/frames changed. Also, are there any decent mids from FLk that will stop people ducking - A flk low would be nice!

Only really big change imo from T6 to TTT2 was the ff+2 hitbox nerf. Steve lost some combo variety..but most importantly CH FLK 1,d+1 into ff+2 B! no longer works.

FLK 2 stops people from ducking, as well as immediately crouch canceling out of FLK and doing ws+1 or fc d/f+1 if you want to hit low.