King wavedash

Page Splits 12>
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Snap
Where's the cheese?
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
This comes up alot, we might as well have a thread here about it.

This concise thread will give you several notations . It dates from DR but still applies to BR.

The actual uses for wd is simply to close gaps into a ws or cd move, or to disguise a throw buffer.
It's not integral to King (even Mishima wd isn't what it used to be), but still nice to have in your toolbox.

Here's Helpme's (a famous Korean player) opinion about the importance of King's wd.

Last edited by Snap on Nov 22nd, 2009 at 17:37

Iz-GOod
Deity
PSN: Iz-GOod
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
I've been trying to get King's WD down but I just can't pull it off. I'm trying the "Snap" notation of cd~n~f~df~n~f~df~n~f~df...

Kings does a CD, comes out of it due to the first F, then he just starts twitching in place. Maybe because I'm accidentally doing (f,df,d) instead of (f,df)?

Oh mighty Snap, help us in our endeavour to become better Kings! Please give us some additional tips on how to pull it off. Can it be done slowly at first, or does it HAVE to be super fast? You mentioned that timing was key... I watched your vid but it's hard to tell exactly what motion you're doing and how fast.
Signature You can't escape the crotch dive. Nobody escapes the crotch dive.
Snap
Where's the cheese?
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Ok, I ran my wd through command history and found that my ACTUAL notation is

f,d,df,f f,d,df,f

Basically a cd~f.

BUT, I wasn't consciously pressing that last f. It seems when you press df and then release, you often get a f if you're not completely clean. So, I was just cd, release (f), cd, release (f).

In terms of timing, my stick sounds like KA-CHUNK. So, it'll be like:

KA - CHUNK KA - CHUNK KA - CHUNK
f n df release f n df release f n df release

where the releases are a f input.

You can do it slowly. Just cd, then let go of the stick for a f, then cd again.

You guys better appreciate me giving away my trade secrets
Iz-GOod
Deity
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks Snap! I'm happy to know that's the true notation, because it's the only one I could get to work. Now I just need to get it to work quickly and efficiently.

Slightly off topic, but I use the same notation to do f,f moves (f,f+1, f,f,N+1+2, etc.) from crouch dash. The input is basically f,qcf,f+1 or f,qcf,f,N+1+2.

As Snap mentioned, you don't have to "fully" input the the f in the qcf. It's done automatically by releasing the df, unless you're super precise at releasing it.
EpicPhail37
Warrior
PSN: EpicPhail37
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Definitely much appreciated Snap! I tried your old notation and couldn't get it to work, but this new one sounds much better. I'll give it a shot. Also, thanks for keeping the combo page up-to-date, makes learning his best juggles a lot easier.

Damn, command history is awesome...never thought of using it for things like this.
AperfectCircle
Voto Latino
PSN: Kappelmeister
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Well I am just trying that...

And it works!! I have to admit I have never been a WD addict, but right now I feel like a kid with his new toy, and I like it, haha.

Thanks Snap, it?s been a while from the old days and this new Tekken just refresh my memories and push me to the practice again.

apC
Iz-GOod
Deity
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
I still can't get this to work. Here's what my command history is saying in Practice Mode:

f,N,d,df,f,N,f,N,d,df,f

essentially cd~f as you mentioned Snap.

But what comes out instead of 2 CDs is a CD and a forward dash, then King ducks due to the second D.

Are you sure that's your exact notation? Am I missing something here? Should there be less N's in my inputs?
BlitzKrieG
1st Dan
PSN: TMC-BlitzKrieG
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Iz-GOod
I still can't get this to work. Here's what my command history is saying in Practice Mode:

f,N,d,df,f,N,f,N,d,df,f

essentially cd~f as you mentioned Snap.

But what comes out instead of 2 CDs is a CD and a forward dash, then King ducks due to the second D.

Are you sure that's your exact notation? Am I missing something here? Should there be less N's in my inputs?

I have the same problem, the only way I can get consecutive cd's out is by doing f,N,d,df,N,f,N,f,N,d,df,N. Hopefully someone will enlighten us.
AperfectCircle
Voto Latino
PSN: Kappelmeister
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Well, I haven?t practice but it?s not as easy as it seems.

The only way I can get consist WD is by doing that thing really fast. I am playing on PSP so my hand ends up really numbed...

Sometimes I feel like I?m not doing N at all, but according notation there should be a neutral between the commands.

apC
tokendagreens
Iron Fist God
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Im not that good at wding with king yet but heres what helped me. When i wd with mishimas i just do the motion as fast as possible and that works for me. With king tho i feel like i have to hold D/F for a little bit then continue on with the motion. So its like f,n,d,D/F,f repeat. Now i dont know if that is what seperates kings WD from mishimas but i know that i can do it alot more when i hold it. Then from there hold the d/f for less amount of time until it doesnt work and try and hit the right spot so you can do it faster.

If any of you guys who can wd with mishimas but not with king try that out and see if that works for you.
Iz-GOod
Deity
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
OK, I think I figured it out while fooling around in Command History.

The notation is this: f,d,df,f,N repeat

In other words, it's f,d,df,f,N,f,d,df,f,N,f,d,df,f,N

It's pretty much exactly what Snap said. But here's the important part: if you get any other neutrals in there, it won't work. Basically, to cancel a CD into another CD, the second CD needs to be f,d,df,f without any neutral inputs between the directions.

I still can't get it consistently, but Command History proves it.

Also, oddly enough, the df is optional. f,d,f,N,f,d,f,N works as well if you can pull that off.
BlitzKrieG
1st Dan
PSN: TMC-BlitzKrieG
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
@Iz-GOod

Good info man, I just tried you notation and it works. Although, I have to do the first CD the normal way (f,N,d,d/f) to get it started.
tokendagreens
Iron Fist God
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Iz-GOod
OK, I think I figured it out while fooling around in Command History.

The notation is this: f,d,df,f,N repeat

In other words, it's f,d,df,f,N,f,d,df,f,N,f,d,df,f,N

It's pretty much exactly what Snap said. But here's the important part: if you get any other neutrals in there, it won't work. Basically, to cancel a CD into another CD, the second CD needs to be f,d,df,f without any neutral inputs between the directions.

I still can't get it consistently, but Command History proves it.

Also, oddly enough, the df is optional. f,d,f,N,f,d,f,N works as well if you can pull that off.

ah nice that works real nice. Also about the skipping d/f i havent tried to do it yet with a cd but you can also do this with GS. Not sure if command history is just messed up or what but seems to be right and lets you cut corners on your gs motion and make it faster.
marcp20
Shihan
PSN: marcp20
XBL: xbox rrod at moment
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
wuts the difference between a mishima wave dash and king wave dash cause i still cant do it i tryed wut greens said and hold d/f but i still get the walk forward and crouch animation can someone tell me wut im doing wrong oh my command hist look likes this

f,n,d,d/f,f,n,f,n,d,d/f,f
Signature opponent:"f#$king EWGF is to godlike in this game"
me:"well they didnt put GOD in EWGF for nothing.."
Iz-GOod
Deity
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by marcp20 f,n,d,d/f,f,n,f,N,d,d/f,f

The N in bold must be removed. The first crouchdash doesn't matter, but subsequent crouchdashes MUST be done without neutral between the F and D.

Did you even read the entire thread?
marcp20
Shihan
PSN: marcp20
XBL: xbox rrod at moment
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
yep a couple times i just wanted to post wut i was doin so someone like u can help thanks for the help and the smart remark
Signature opponent:"f#$king EWGF is to godlike in this game"
me:"well they didnt put GOD in EWGF for nothing.."
chamillion
Iron Fist God
PSN: sa-tex210
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
does someone have a vid with someones hand doing the wavedash.... like the hand movement of it. it will help the king/mishimas players a great deal. its one thing to see notation but when you see the hand gesture it kinda explains it better.
learning how to cancel out of dashing is the biggest and hardest thing to do
i agree with the first post.... wd/ld aint what it used to be.

sa-tex210!!!
Signature yes sir!
Phryxes
Warrior
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by chamillion
does someone have a vid with someones hand doing the wavedash.... like the hand movement of it. it will help the king/mishimas players a great deal. its one thing to see notation but when you see the hand gesture it kinda explains it better.
learning how to cancel out of dashing is the biggest and hardest thing to do
i agree with the first post.... wd/ld aint what it used to be.

sa-tex210!!!

@chamillion there are alot in youtube...not that very useful though.. coz they do it really fast and its the wd for the mishimas not king..

its really hard to wd with king,,i wanna learn it because of the move or setup i saw from kingbaksa...what he did is.. wd,wd,wd,wd~isw.. sweet! hahaha..so for the guys who tested it..which notation is it? snap's notation or the other guy's notation?
Signature "Dokusoi!!"
-Asashoryou/Beb-ui

"meow?" hahahaha
-Phryxes
Keii
4th Dan
PSN: Lockershaft
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
King wd notation must be f~d,d/f,n~f~d,d/f,n~(...) it's the best option for doing this.
f,n,d,d/f,f,n,f,n,d,d/f,f - this one takes too much frames and it's slower.
Howling
rawr, bidge.
PSN: renith
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
With the notation provided by Izzy I can actually do double or triple wavedashes on the right side using a pad(lol) but no more than that. it also needs to be decently fast, as fast as you would do a quick shoryuken on street fighter.

I'm gonna try to meet with izzy and figure out because apparently there are several notations, and also it takes a shitload of practice.
Signature From Rambo III
Zaysen: Who do you think this man is? God?
Colonel Trautman: No. God would have mercy.