d/b+3,3 - exposed on block of the first hit
2,3 - requires awareness to not go into the FLA stance on miss
4,3 - both high

FLA~f+3~FLA is flawless, though.
FLA-less. lolololololololol.
Catfish
Serious Business.
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
Baek is WTF (world TKD federation) style - the one in the Olympics. This is the more traditional one which does focus more on kick patterns. It looks flashier than ITF.
Hwoarang is ITF (international TKD fed) style which is arguably more well-rounded due to it being more modern. More focus on practical application than WTF does.
Signature Originally posted by Johnnay
agreed yiggs is a cool, interesting xiaoyu person with a good knowledge of her BTW

Tekken: Serious Business -=TSB=-
Australian Tekken
Lord TKD
TekkenChile.cl
PSN: LordTKD
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Catfish
Baek is WTF (world TKD federation) style - the one in the Olympics. This is the more traditional one which does focus more on kick patterns. It looks flashier than ITF.
Hwoarang is ITF (international TKD fed) style which is arguably more well-rounded due to it being more modern. More focus on practical application than WTF does.

Ingles....

I'd say it backwards,

hwoarang the techniques are more WTF, that ITF.

I've been practicing taekwondo wtf 15 years and what I say.

baek to have approached the ITF to WTF taekwondo

sorry for my English

Lord TKD
Signature Comunidad de TekkenChile -> www.tekkenchile.cl

My Youtube Account
Marin
Sage
PSN: Marin9892
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
Baek is so cool even his fighting style says WTF
Signature TTT2 Baek & Leo Combo Vid
T6BR Baek Combo Vid reupload

Originally posted by Budding Fighter
Keep guessing, till my db+3,3~f damage accumulates, idiot.
Catfish
Serious Business.
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
I did ITF tkd for a few years, and definitely feel that Hwo's style is ITF whereas Baek's is definitely much more similar to the Olympic style... no?
Signature Originally posted by Johnnay
agreed yiggs is a cool, interesting xiaoyu person with a good knowledge of her BTW

Tekken: Serious Business -=TSB=-
Australian Tekken
Mattcore
Shihan
XBL: Mattc0re
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Catfish

uh I've done WTF Taekwondo for around 8 years. I don't want to get into a debate about WTF vs ITF being more "well-rounded" because that merely depends on what school or club you study at. The focus of training depends on the teacher. I'd have to say neither of the characters really represent either style of TKD, it's a fighting game after all. Most of their moves are not the kind of kicks you would use in either a competitive match nor a street fight situation. Kicks below the belt, a necessity in fighting games for instance, simply do not exist in traditional taekwondo.

Your assessment however, could be justified better by the character's appearance more than their repertoire of moves. For instance, Baek wears a traditional dobok, typical of WTF and Hwaorang wears the fist and foot pads that are worn only by ITF taekwondo practitioners. Even Olympic competitors (WTF) do not wear these kinds of pads in their competitions.
Inserity
Iron Fist God
PSN: Inserity
XBL: Steam: Inserity
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
Baek's uf+3,4,3 > Real Life

Mattcore
Shihan
XBL: Mattc0re
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
haha, I agree. I wish I could execute kicks and combos with that kind of consistency IRL.
rose0571
3rd Dan
PSN: Ask me
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
They are both very different but very unique when it comes to Tae Kwon Do. As mentioned before Baek is more traditional and has a shorter move set than Hwoarang who has a much larger set for chains and such. I enjoy both but I tend to use Baek more than Hwoarang from time to time. It really depends on my mood. I would suggest just trying them both out for a while and see which one is more to your preference.
Signature Dream it and make the impossible very possible!
Demonium6
4th Dan
XBL: Demonium6
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Mattcore
uh I've done WTF Taekwondo for around 8 years. I don't want to get into a debate about WTF vs ITF being more "well-rounded" because that merely depends on what school or club you study at. The focus of training depends on the teacher. I'd have to say neither of the characters really represent either style of TKD, it's a fighting game after all. Most of their moves are not the kind of kicks you would use in either a competitive match nor a street fight situation. Kicks below the belt, a necessity in fighting games for instance, simply do not exist in traditional taekwondo.

Your assessment however, could be justified better by the character's appearance more than their repertoire of moves. For instance, Baek wears a traditional dobok, typical of WTF and Hwaorang wears the fist and foot pads that are worn only by ITF taekwondo practitioners. Even Olympic competitors (WTF) do not wear these kinds of pads in their competitions.

I agree with everything in your great (and objective) post, except for the "no kicks below the belt"-part. In TaeKwonDo, like in its predecessors (Taekkyon, Hwoarang-Do, etc.) there are in fact low-kicks, however they are not allowed in competition nowadays which is why most schools don't teach them anymore. However they can still be useful in self-defence situations and are in fact quite important in Hapkido (which is in fact also part of TKD, except some schools didn't join back when it was formed.).

Back on Topic: (Though most things have already been said, maybe as a short compilation): Baek is easier to start with, as he has more low risk-moves (i also find his oki to be somewhat better than Hwos [note: I am pretty much a noob]).
Hwoarang is harder to learn, more risk, but does better damage if handled correctly (at least thats the impression that i get, also alot of his moves look just purely awesome ).
Signature "Be like the sea: flow around that which is unmovable; for everything else, crash into it unrelentigly."
Team Super-Special-Awesome:
, x
Sonkenjr
4th Dan
XBL: SonkenGP03
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
Baek has a more tradition form of tae kwon do almost like moo duk kwan

along hworang's form of tae kwon do its more sport

i think baeks fluid movement from hworangs stiff kicks baek has the advantage
as well as good bound moves such as WS 2,1 F, 4 Fla B, 3 UF + 2 UF + 3,4,3 F,F + 3
i still think they should've make 1+2 bound or at least the second part to it
Signature Baek your cake or feng your wei you decide
LegendKiller
Kyu
#32 “Quote” Edit Post

Edit: Moved to Q/A... [wrong post]
neep1987
Kyu
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
just read this thread here,not tryin to cause trouble but hwaorang is itf as far as i can tell, his mo cap was done by hwang su il who is a former it world champion,baek is clearly wtf with the dobak that he wears
yip_noob
No F*eng Wei!!!
PSN: Online
XBL: Offline
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Sonkenjr
i still think they should've make 1+2 bound or at least the second part to it

1+2,4 B! would be useless in a juggle as there is too much waiting time for baek afterwards/

1+2 B! would be a good idea, but i think they'd have to change the frames of it, similar to change in heihachi d+1 as a B! move
Signature CH b+1... b+1+2 HEY-YAAA!!

crimsonb12
Kyu
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
well i'm new to TZ... yeah my 1st post

as far as i know they're both ITF..ITF uses they're hand just like boxing in WTF they use it for blocking
baek uses a stance closest to ITF(like tomaz barada) a flat stance is a stance for punching. hwoarang on the other hand uses a stance i'm familiar with...yeah WTF style. when i was in grade school i studied TKD i think its WTF because it only has 10 forms in geup level i think(not sure though)...my master teaches me a stance same as hwoarang...yeah the hopping one because he said it's easier to kick that way... you could say it's a stance in a rhythm...(specially used in sparring)..

about the dobok someone said that hwoarang definitely is ITF because of the dobok and gloves...well i don't know about that i think hwoarang is just stylish(no offence i dont see wearing that kind of dobok here even in olympics)...baek can wear gloves in T5 DR and he's wearing a traditional dobok(put some gloves on baek he looks like a ITF competitor ^_^) i'd say that baek definitely ITF and hwo is WTF even though they're both ITF...

Baek- 60% of time kicking 40% of time punching
Hwo- 80% of time kicking 20% of time punching

well that's my basis... correct me if i am wrong PEACE!!!

Last edited by crimsonb12 on Dec 10th, 2011 at 06:56

Signature TKD
MDK99
Kyu
#36 “Quote” Edit Post
Hwoarang uniform is based on ITF, but his moves are more towards WTF Olympic, a move in particular is the left combined up D-pad kick button move in tekken 6, he semi jumps back and does a round kick in the style of the wtf sparring Olympic double round kick, they do all the time. Baek's uniform is based on WTF, but his moves are more towards ITF/traditional TKD, he even does the jump spinning round house kick with an unturned instep foot, executed with dpad up + O. The developers chose to create a tkd prac. so what uniform did they put on him? the V-neck, which uniform is more popular in dealing with tkd? the V-neck not the gi style, theres not too many other tkd without the v neck. Also, sommin to think about is the fact that in tekken 4, hwoarang wears a v-neck styled tkd uniform.
sspaajms120
O.T.K.
PSN: sspaajms60
XBL: Steam:PileUpOTK120
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
simply speaking baek and hwoarang are as different ans the sun and the moon gameplay wise
Signature
~ you are limited in what you can do by how much you are ready to do

Put in everything you got to push yourself beyond your limits to a place where there are no limits and you will be ready for anything.
Check out my Youtube videos
WithoutStyle
Kyu
#38 “Quote” Edit Post
ITF TaeKwonDo - Traditional old school TKD, real combat / self defense, strikes are going after pure power & incorporates alot of punches aswell compared to WTF, sparring/fighting is brutal, no point system, no protection, its about whoever gets KO'd first, its literally like Kickboxing. WTF TKD is a ballerina martial art compared to ITF... ITF you go after if you want learn a real agressive ACTUAL self defense/striking martial art...

WTF TaeKwonDo - TKD oriented for sport/Olympics, the strikes are trained for point system strikes, ballerina martial art... no pun intended for WTFers but it is what it is... why pick WTF for anything else but Olympics/Sparring pointsystem with protection? ITF is the TKD you need to learn for the real world....

WTF you go after only if you want to be in the Olympics or have fun working out / have fun sparring with protection or something... yes you can use it as self defense but nowhere as effectively as with ITF...

WTF has its uses/pros in the world... but for actual real fighting its ITF > WTF... dont let anybody tell you anything else... if there was a 1 vs 1 fight in a bar, ITF vs WTF, the ITF guy would obliterate the WTF guy... ITF guys have not just trained for actual effective strikes but also trained their body to take REAL HITS....

BAEK DOO SAN embodies very old school ITF to 100% -
1. His stance is a 100% traditional ITF sparring stance, where the lead hand/knuckle is infront pointing downwards and the of hand closer to body hand/knuckle pointing upwards, lead foot straight up infront and right foot slighty pointing outwards.
2. His Dobok is 100% ITF with all the traditional ITF stripes, usually ITF doboks dont have stripes around collar but its not unheard of actually, as long as all other ITF stripes are presented, which they are for Baeks Dobok. WTF doboks have no stripes at all except on the collar.
3. His punches/kicks techniques is true to ITF and what ITF is all about, incorporates hands, no wasted energy, agression, power...
4. His character, dojo, spirituality and literally everything reeks ITF aswell.
5. During sparring/combat ITF guys use only some light hand & foot protection (like seen with Hwoarang), but Baek uses nothing, he is a straight up old school ITF badass like that....

HWOARANG is a mix of ITF & WTF -
1. Hwoarang got his training from Baek, so he is an ITF guy.
2. He does WTF sports competition, so he got WTF training & is a WTF guy aswell.
3. His Dobok is a hybrid / personalized.
4. His stance / stance switches & the way he bounces is very WTF'esque.....
5. He is equipped with gloves / foot gear which is exactly what ITF combat/sparring use/looks like.

Hwoarang most definitely is not 100% WTF tho, he is a mix of both ITF/WTF.... if he was 100% WTF he wouldnt even be in the game, WTF is not meant for full contact combat self defense/attacking like that exactly, they dont do full contact combat like that AT ALL (ITF guys do!).... they only do Olympics Sparring with all the WTF Protection headgear, vest & 1000 pads everywhere lol

Last edited by WithoutStyle on Aug 4th, 2018 at 15:00