Phoenix rising: the T6 BR Paul guide

Page Splits 1...<678910>
Share This Topic
Share
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#141 “Quote” Edit Post
Tested it, it only connects if the previous juggle is short like in d/f+2, f+1+2, B! f,f, qcb+3,2,1 (56 dmg) or CH (3),2, f,f, f+1+2, B! f,f, qcb+3,1,2 (65 dmg).
If your juggle is longer than 2 hits (or if you B! with b+1,2) the 3 hits and 2,1 whiffs (this is the case even if you add a short dash beforehand).
I think whit is due to the new gravity system in this installment of the game (which should prevent longer juggles w/o walls or FB! by pushing your airborne opponent back further depending on the how many hits you used prior).
chris
Dragon Lord
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 801
#142 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by BlackPriest
Tested it, it only connects if the previous juggle is short like in d/f+2, f+1+2, B! f,f, qcb+3,2,1 (56 dmg) or CH (3),2, f,f, f+1+2, B! f,f, qcb+3,1,2 (65 dmg).
If your juggle is longer than 2 hits (or if you B! with b+1,2) the 3 hits and 2,1 whiffs (this is the case even if you add a short dash beforehand).
I think whit is due to the new gravity system in this installment of the game (which should prevent longer juggles w/o walls or FB! by pushing your airborne opponent back further depending on the how many hits you used prior).


Well that sucks.
Signature <Marquee>^^^^paul wins^^^^</marquee>
JanusDS
Warrior
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 165
From: USA North Carolina
PSN: JanusDS
#143 “Quote” Edit Post
Hey man, I know you've gotten a lot of compliments on this thread; but I just wanted to give you another one. This is the best character thread I have seen throughout all the tekken games.

I am trying to learn Paul currently and this thread has been a great reference guide, I really appreciate it. Granted I suck right now with Paul, I keep reading this guide to see what I can do better and there is plenty. But I just love how this and some of your other Paul threads just give an overall completely comprehensive guide to using Paul. Right now my mains are Bob and Feng so as you might guess, Paul is a big step away from those 2 (especially since I never really used Paul in any of the other games except a little bit in Tekken 3). However, this gives me all the information I need to be dangerous and I'm sure I'll eventually get there.

Thanks!
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#144 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by JanusDS
Hey man, I know you've gotten a lot of compliments on this thread; but I just wanted to give you another one. This is the best character thread I have seen throughout all the tekken games.

I am trying to learn Paul currently and this thread has been a great reference guide, I really appreciate it. Granted I suck right now with Paul, I keep reading this guide to see what I can do better and there is plenty. But I just love how this and some of your other Paul threads just give an overall completely comprehensive guide to using Paul. Right now my mains are Bob and Feng so as you might guess, Paul is a big step away from those 2 (especially since I never really used Paul in any of the other games except a little bit in Tekken 3). However, this gives me all the information I need to be dangerous and I'm sure I'll eventually get there.

Thanks!


Thanks for the kind words man!

I'm not a high level Paul player neither (I'm medicore at best), but I'm practicing and testing as much as I can, and I'm always glad if my 2 cents can help other people to improve.

Should you ever have a question on Paul don't hesitate to let us other players know in the corresponding thread and we will try to help you as much as we can.
Dilly
When in doubt, D+3+4
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2230
From: USA Missouri
PSN: DancesWithNoobs
XBL: DancesWithNoobs
#145 “Quote” Edit Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but...

For stick players, d+4,4,2,2,1+2,1+2 works with utmost consistency to perform demo man. Literally just do it as fast as you can. Just a quick double tap of each button makes the next button pressed right on time. Might be worth adding this to the guide.

Not sure how well it works on pad, if someone wants to give it a try feel free.
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#146 “Quote” Edit Post
Cheers for the input Dilly, I will check this in my lunch break and eventually add it to the guide.
Dilly
When in doubt, D+3+4
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2230
From: USA Missouri
PSN: DancesWithNoobs
XBL: DancesWithNoobs
#147 “Quote” Edit Post
Just lending a helping hand. I play paul rather casually(like maybe once a week, if that) and this method allows me to demo man extremely close to 100% of the time, so it definitely works. It's similar in theory to the lee b+1:1:2 trick, just faster.
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#148 “Quote” Edit Post


It works, even though I must say it is not a good idea if you have learned DM the old school way (your technique totally messed up my timing), I can imagine it is useful for ppl that start learning DM, and as such I will include it in the guide.

I tested it on stick and pad, it works on both btw.

Last edited by BlackPriest on Jul 16th, 2010 at 12:18

Dilly
When in doubt, D+3+4
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2230
From: USA Missouri
PSN: DancesWithNoobs
XBL: DancesWithNoobs
#149 “Quote” Edit Post
Glad to hear, surprised no one ever noticed that trick before. It's ultra consistent for me either way.
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#150 “Quote” Edit Post
And after all that?s what?s important. As stated earlier I disagree with ppl that say one has to learn it the old school way. I did, but I have no problem whatsoever with people using other techniques.
Even if you have to clap with your feet and sing a disgusting Abba song while pulling it off, it doesn't matter, if it works for you it?s ok.
Well not the Abba song maybe but you get what I want to say?

Your method is up in the move list section if you want to read it and I obviously mentioned you in the thanks section.
JanusDS
Warrior
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 165
From: USA North Carolina
PSN: JanusDS
#151 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Dilly
Not sure if this has been mentioned but...

For stick players, d+4,4,2,2,1+2,1+2 works with utmost consistency to perform demo man. Literally just do it as fast as you can. Just a quick double tap of each button makes the next button pressed right on time. Might be worth adding this to the guide.

Not sure how well it works on pad, if someone wants to give it a try feel free.


Hmm...I might try that. My friend who used to use Paul said he always did a button roll 4,3 then hit 2 to get the d+4:2 part correctly. I never could do that because I'd hit 2 too slow. I usually try the duh, duh, duh method (if you know what I mean); but I have a bad tendency of missing the just frame in juggles because I hit 2 too soon because I'm so anxious to dash up and do d+4 as fast as possible and accidentally roll my finger to 2. I almost never miss the just frame on a Demo Man out in the open though.

So thanks for the heads up, since I do play with a stick (can't play with a controller for crap - buttons suck ass).
Dilly
When in doubt, D+3+4
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2230
From: USA Missouri
PSN: DancesWithNoobs
XBL: DancesWithNoobs
#152 “Quote” Edit Post
It's not a problem, just doing my part to help out the community. I'm actually a bit shocked by how much I've managed to discover thus far with this iteration of tekken considering we didn't have an arcade version in my entire state.

I'll keep em comin as I find em.
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#153 “Quote” Edit Post
Added a new description to FC d/f+2,1 in the move list section since I just found out that it's easily hit confirmable and that the 2nd hit is delayable.
Great news in theory, but FC d/f+2 is -17 on block so the usefulness of this is pretty limited...

Will add a list of all the crushing moves to the misc info and strats section in the next days. Credits to StreamerX for the idea.
So Ronery ;_;
Expert
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 140
From: Philippines
#154 “Quote” Edit Post
Something I want to add:

CH SS+3 can be followed up with d+2 or d/b+1 (generic special mid punch pokes) although it might whiff due to range or axis. I've been trying this in matches and it works fine (although you have to use your good judgement to follow it up). I hope it could prove useful.
Signature Money = fun therefore I don't have fun
Bahamut (PMS) - Demoman is like breathing, sometimes I forget how to do it
So Ronery ;_; (PMS)

I'm proud to be a geek.
big_o_boss
2nd Dan
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 21
From: USA Indiana
PSN: Big_O_Boss
#155 “Quote” Edit Post
Very simple little thing I found, but I just thought I'd put it out there for those who may be unaware:

Paul's WS+4 can actually be performed by inputting qcf+4. For me, this makes the move easier to pull off, probably because of the fact that Paul is a sway character. It allows you to get up close and utilize this great mid poke a little more liberally.

That said, the only person I see use this (WS+4) pretty consistently in matches is ChetChetty. I know it's a great mid poke, so why don't more players utilize it? Paul is a little short on good, fast, safe mid strings and pokes.
Signature Up The Cathedral
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#156 “Quote” Edit Post
So Ronery: if i10 FC jabs hit your i10 jabs strings should hit as well, but I'm pretty sure CH SS+3 leaves them out of jab range...

big_o_boss: You can do iWS moves with a qcf montion with any char that doesn't have a specific qcf crouchdash move on the same button than the WS move you want to pull off. If Paul for example didn't have his qcf+2 out of the crouchdash you could qcf+2 and an WS+2 would come out.

The notation for an iWS move is d,d/f,n+move (you can do it with d,d/b too if you want), by doing a qcf you're just replacing the n with a f.

Last edited by BlackPriest on Jul 21st, 2010 at 18:26

big_o_boss
2nd Dan
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 21
From: USA Indiana
PSN: Big_O_Boss
#157 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah. I noticed that some characters don't have the ability to perform a WS moving through that input, such as Jin. I just thought it was pretty useful, and something I actually didn't notice until I did it by accident, haha.
Signature Up The Cathedral
BlackPriest
Expulsion of Fury
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 6771
From: Italy
PSN: BlackPriest_ITA
#158 “Quote” Edit Post
So Ronery: Nice, I tested it, unless at very max range the special mid D+2 connects after a CH SS+3 adding 9 dmg for a total of 34 dmg.

I'm not sure if I would always take these 9 points of guaranteed damage in a match or if I would go for the mix-up, but it's definitely a good option, especially when it could kill them. I'll add this to the guide.
JanusDS
Warrior
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 165
From: USA North Carolina
PSN: JanusDS
#159 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by big_o_boss
Very simple little thing I found, but I just thought I'd put it out there for those who may be unaware:

Paul's WS+4 can actually be performed by inputting qcf+4. For me, this makes the move easier to pull off, probably because of the fact that Paul is a sway character. It allows you to get up close and utilize this great mid poke a little more liberally.

That said, the only person I see use this (WS+4) pretty consistently in matches is ChetChetty. I know it's a great mid poke, so why don't more players utilize it? Paul is a little short on good, fast, safe mid strings and pokes.


Yeah, I knew that but I just don't find much of a use for it in most situations where I am roll dashing. Most of the time I have the intention of either Deathfist to punish whiff or counter, qcf+1 to high crush, qcf+3 to do a little poke damage since everybody expects Deathfist or I'm buffering in a 1+2 throw since most people break those out in the open. I mostly only use WS+4 as a punisher for moves that force crouch since his WS+2 launcher is i16 I believe, which makes it not much good except for whiff punishing (plus I hate that the db+2 after WS+2 sometimes puts Paul behind the opponent depending on how close he is ). But anyway, I used to use that more in Tekken 3 when I used Paul because he could do it there as well; but for whatever reason, I don't use it much on Tekken 6.

Oh and btw, I don't know about Jin because I don't use him; but Kaz can do a WS+4 or WS+4,4 out of his CD - you just have to not hold df or else he'll do the hell sweep. I'm pretty sure Jin is the same in that if you don't hold df during his CD he can do a WS+4 instead of his CD sweep because most characters with a crouch dash or roll dash can.
big_o_boss
2nd Dan
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 21
From: USA Indiana
PSN: Big_O_Boss
#160 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah. I was toying around with Jin's WS+4 last night. And, although a qcf motion does not work to elicit that move, a CD will (as long as you don't hold down after the dash).
Signature Up The Cathedral

 All times are GMT. The time now is 10:06

Page Splits 1...<678910>
Moderator Tools
Forum Jump