Feng vs Hyperaggro Steve

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Fighting Man
1st Dan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
My fellow fighters! I seek advice from you on how to deal with a hyper aggressive Steve as Feng Wei. The main reason I started to train in Tekken is to beat a certain friend of mine who plays Steve. He is not a very technical Tekken player, I see him drop his combos all the time, but he has years of routine and muscle memory that I am trying to combat with relentless daily practice (that he doesn't get) and all the tryhard crap I can think of.

When I watch pro Steves they are nowhere as aggressive as my friend, so he is clearly doing something wrong but I don't know how to punish it. Our winrate is something like 35% 65% to him.

As long as I can keep him away and get him with mixups I'm fine, but once he gets in my face he starts a nonstop assault with extremely few inactive frames. I tried b+4 ; b+2 ; b+1+2 but it's very unreliable as I don't really know when the next punch is coming, where it is going and how far it will reach. It feels like a nonstop machinegun mowdown that is more his game to lose than mine to win.

Any insight would be much appreciated on what I could do to get better at this matchup!
GodTierKing
Legend
PSN: GodTierKing
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Fighting Man
My fellow fighters! I seek advice from you on how to deal with a hyper aggressive Steve as Feng Wei. The main reason I started to train in Tekken is to beat a certain friend of mine who plays Steve. He is not a very technical Tekken player, I see him drop his combos all the time, but he has years of routine and muscle memory that I am trying to combat with relentless daily practice (that he doesn't get) and all the tryhard crap I can think of.

When I watch pro Steves they are nowhere as aggressive as my friend, so he is clearly doing something wrong but I don't know how to punish it. Our winrate is something like 35% 65% to him.

As long as I can keep him away and get him with mixups I'm fine, but once he gets in my face he starts a nonstop assault with extremely few inactive frames. I tried b+4 ; b+2 ; b+1+2 but it's very unreliable as I don't really know when the next punch is coming, where it is going and how far it will reach. It feels like a nonstop machinegun mowdown that is more his game to lose than mine to win.

Any insight would be much appreciated on what I could do to get better at this matchup!

Try power crush )
Maybe parry?
A down jab maybe.
Signature The name says everything you need to know
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
You just have to know the Steve match-up really well, regardless of the character you play. There's really no way around that.

Steve can make a lot of his strings safe on block by transitioning into a stance so you need to know when to sidestep or duck hits in his strings. I'd say Feng's 1+2 is a valuable tool here since it's an unchickenable punch parry that launches if the parry succeeds. Otherwise, he has moves like b+1, u/f+2, KNP and a down jab if you want to evade or interrupt his offense.
Signature Originally posted by MysticwinD
Fixed tier list for Lili players only needs 2 tiers, one tier with all the chars better than Lili and a second one with just Lili.