#61 “Quote” Edit Post
http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/ne...creenshots.html

I like all of her costumes.

PS: Negan doesn't seem to have alt outfits
Hasaldo
7th Dan
#62 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Fernandito
Tekken, the one and only franchise in which females get younger chronologically. Don't forget what we saw with Michelle in tag2.

Either these guys at Bamco really need help on how to create good female characters, or just do it on purpose because the effeminate actually like this crap. This is the most stupid and infantile version of Julia ever seen, and oh well dat voice

Looks like an adult Tekken4 Julia don't sell good enough among the sick.

Fully agree with you on this one. When I saw the trailer I was like: "Wtf! Where is the mysteriousness/spirituality and nice kind of her silence gone too?".

Now she's just an English version of lucky chloe hopping around.

I didn't mind michelle that much in ttt2 since that wasn't supposed to be canon or chronologically correct. Literally every tekken character up to that point was in there if I'm not mistaken (not counting Gon).
But this shit now is insane...
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#63 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, I cringed at the trailer.

But that one alt costume is especially cringy. Why is Julia dressed like Catalina?

Namco needs to hire artists who aren't horny bastards.
Signature Bring back [alex] for T7!
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#64 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MmickeysS
She uses her right hand for that. It's either CES 2 or CES 1+2

I'm guessing it's CES 1+2 since that was her old bound move. If I recall correctly, some characters have their S! moves assigned to the same commands as their previous bound moves so it would make sense.

---

I'm surprised no one pointed out that Julia's d/f+2,1 is i15 now instead of i16. Not entirely sure how much that affects her combo potential because it probably has inferior range but higher damage output than her hopkick.

d/f+3+4 looks like a legit combo filler now that it knocks the opponent higher up into the air. It's probably still her go-to follow-up option for low get-up kicks.

What I'm worried about is her potentially not having any single-hit S! move outside of the CES one and even that requires you to do d,d/f+1 beforehand. If all her other S! moves are two hits or more, it will likely end up hurting her wall carry.

I also 100% agree with all of you on Julia's sudden backwards aging. She was definitely very mature for her age in previous games and now she's just a cringy contemporary teenager. I will say, though, that it's still much better than not having Julia in the game at all.
Signature Originally posted by MysticwinD
Fixed tier list for Lili players only needs 2 tiers, one tier with all the chars better than Lili and a second one with just Lili.
MmickeysS
Champion
PSN: MmickeysS
#65 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Climbing Dragon
I'm surprised no one pointed out that Julia's d/f+2,1 is i15 now instead of i16. Not entirely sure how much that affects her combo potential because it probably has inferior range but higher damage output than her hopkick.

I really wonder why they did that. I can understand why Marduk's d/f+1 was sped up, but this? I'm really glad though, because it's been my favorite launcher in Tekken for a long time now.
Signature sugoi SUGOI!!
http://goo.gl/ebpTPu
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#66 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, not really a buff she desperately needed but a buff nonetheless. It's incredibly satisfying to land the f+3~1 filler after the launcher, though.
Fixed tier list for Lili players only needs 2 tiers, one tier with all the chars better than Lili and a second one with just Lili.
Great_Dark_Hero
Lone Wolf
#67 “Quote” Edit Post
A lot of people really love to complain.

Regardless, there might be a few newer moves that we did not get the chance to see yet. Hoping for a low that has some frame advantage and a single hit S! move as another person here stated
Signature KOF player who likes Tekken.
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#68 “Quote” Edit Post
I was never expecting her to receive so many new moves so I'm extremely happy about that. I'm also hoping for a good poke because the properties on her lows are not enough to make the opponent want to duck.
MmickeysS
Champion
PSN: MmickeysS
#69 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm almost certain b+4 will screw. Every similar homing move does, even Josie's and Alisa's b+3 were recently buffed to do that.

I didn't really enjoy Michelle as much as JayCee in Tag 2 so I'm kinda worried about her missing all those eccentric gimmick moves. Hopefully I've not become too spoiled.
Signature sugoi SUGOI!!
http://goo.gl/ebpTPu
Hasaldo
7th Dan
#70 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Great_Dark_Hero
A lot of people really love to complain.

I'm glad she's back (and still am of the opinion she should have been in from the start), but you're telling me that completely disregarding the personality and age of a character which was established in the previous 6 tekkens (t3 upto ttt2, 4 tekkens if you don't count non-canon tags) is not worthy of being pointed out?
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#71 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MmickeysS
I'm almost certain b+4 will screw.

I was also thinking it might but that would be a very underwhelming screw move. I'm expecting poor damage and it's a high (unless that got changed), so the hitbox probably won't be low enough to hit airbone opponents consistently unless you do it right after a launcher.
Great_Dark_Hero
Lone Wolf
#72 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Hasaldo
I'm glad she's back (and still am of the opinion she should have been in from the start), but you're telling me that completely disregarding the personality and age of a character which was established in the previous 6 tekkens (t3 upto ttt2, 4 tekkens if you don't count non-canon tags) is not worthy of being pointed out?

No. It really isn't.

And, the reason for that is because the new voice actress for Julia has been around since the days of TTT2, which is why she sounds the way she does. This is more than likely the only thing that would throw most people off. And, to speak about her age: She is 20 years old. Her personality suggests that she is still a researcher who specifically wants her reforestation project to work out. The streaming thing? A harmless gimmick. Just as the element of wrestling was, yet no one really complained about that last time (although, her game play had to take some getting used to because of the moves she had gotten from being "Jaycee" at the time).

Now, if Bamco simply went batshit insane and had Julia Chang suddenly acting like something that is completely out of her character, like suddenly becoming a villain without any explanation or her suddenly acting like one of the other characters, then there would probably be some real problems.
Julia getting a new voice actor, having an interest in streaming based on the narrative from what happened she was playing the role of Jaycee (which usually requires people to have some sort of personality anyway to be successful in that sort of thing, and acting as Jaycee might have gave her an edge), and her motivations as they are right now are not going to be enough to make or break the character. Even with these slight changes and character development, Julia is still Julia. The same character whose motivation is still to ultimately complete her project on helping the environment through science. Even the "spiritual" aspect is still a thing for her, thanks to her upbringing by a certain adoptive motherly figure.

Therefore, I do not see T7 Julia as anything worth "really" complaining about with those things considered. And, because of this, I am specifically worried about what her move set will consist of and how she will do in high-level tournaments.

But, I will admit this:
The only oddity in relationship to Julia is that Bamco insists on using the same in-battle voices as they did for Tekken 5. They did this once more on TTT2 for Julia (Jaycee) and for many other characters with their voices.
Hasaldo
7th Dan
#73 “Quote” Edit Post
I don't really care about her voice (always having same voice actress is more of luxury rather than a necessity).
The reason I didn't complain about jaycee version (I talk only for myself), I always thought ttt2 was non-canon and joke party anyway, so had no/less isues with that. But apparently jaycee is canon now. Even that I don't really mind.

Her personality suggests that she is still a researcher who specifically wants her reforestation project to work out.

But I disagree with you on her personality. What you're talking about here are her motivation and/or background. That, obviously, is a different thing than personality (otherwise every researcher in the world would have same personality..?). I'm talking about her personality: being an overly happy (Japanese-like) teenager, which doesn't seem to fit the previously estabslished persona.
I even (re)watched almost every intro/outro/ending movie of her and except for the looks there is not much resembling her current iteration.
Also, just defending forests/nature does not make one "spiritual". It's the way someone acts.

Edit: you're are right on the age thing. I thought some more time had elapsed between t3 and t7. Nevertheless, to me, she seems way less mature tan she was previously. Which, imo, is a downgrade. (Tekken lacks mature women in general)
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#74 “Quote” Edit Post
The problem isn't her voice actress as she's voiced Julia outside of battles since T6. The problem is the way she delivered her lines for T7. If you compare Julia's TTT2 voice to her T7 voice, you can hear the obvious difference in maturity even though the voice actress is the same. Julia has always been portrayed as a mature woman despite her age and to see that change is upsetting. It doesn't make any sense for her to age backwards like that and, what's worse, she's just like the other Tekken teenagers now.

But, I will admit this:
The only oddity in relationship to Julia is that Bamco insists on using the same in-battle voices as they did for Tekken 5. They did this once more on TTT2 for Julia (Jaycee) and for many other characters with their voices.

This is actually the only thing they did right with her voice. I feel her battle voice suits her incredibly well, though now the contrast between her two voices is almost disturbingly stark.
Great_Dark_Hero
Lone Wolf
#75 “Quote” Edit Post
@Hasaldo

I am not trying to patronize you, but I know the differences between motivations and personality. I don't need someone like you to tell me so. When I touched on those issues, I was speaking from a more broader perspective: Not just her introductions, win-poses, and so on. Her belief system is still more or less the same as it was before but she has a different way of going about it this time around. Reforestation is still her main objective. That in itself is manageable. Characters may change overtime as they develop and Julia is no exception. So, Julia is a bit different from what she was. Big deal. Who knows. She may be acting this way to suit her streaming persona. It could be based on her experience as Jaycee that may have caused this change. After all, we are assuming that these characters have a reasonable amount of layers to them. Or, maybe Bamco wanted to try something different (which for the most part seems to be working, based on the reactions for most competitors and casuals alike. If they dislike it, then that is not a problem but they cannot speak for others when forming any sort of opinion). Some characters may not go through some changes, even though some may need it. There are also such things as arbitrary changes that may not work so well with the character. Some may be well-received for the most part and then you have potential issues with these said changes. Maybe they were too drastic or maybe it was not enough. Yet, you can't make everybody happy. Folks will still complain no matter what the issue may be. Perhaps, Bamco wanted to experiment with Julia specifically to see how it would work out. It is still more or less Julia Chang. She was Julia then. She is Julia now. And, she is going to be Julia tomorrow.

As it stands now aspects are still not going to be enough to make or break Julia. It would take something exceedingly ridiculous or drastic for something like that to happen.

Speaking on a more personal level, these changes don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Some people will see it as a major upgrade. Players like you and very few others will see it as a major downgrade. I see it as neither. None of this is going to be enough to distract me from playing the character in the long run and it is ultimately not a big deal.

If playing as a "mature" female on Tekken 7 is really that big of a concern (that is referring to the characters demeanor in this context) and Julia as she is now is a big problem for you, then you can always avoid buying Julia as DLC and play as Master Raven, Kazumi, Nina, or Anna for example and establish yourself at tournaments or otherwise practice online for improvement on the said characters.
dodecadozen
Iron Fist God
#76 “Quote” Edit Post
Assuming that fighting game characters have layers is... wierd... but reasonable I guess. After all, Heihachi has been turned from supposedly evil guy to normal guy with normal motives.

But the REAL question is whether Julia having layers to her personality serves any purpose from the POV of appealing to a fighting game audience.

Perhaps, Bamco wanted to experiment with Julia specifically to see how it would work out. It is still more or less Julia Chang. She was Julia then. She is Julia now. And, she is going to be Julia tomorrow.

This is what the complaint is about. Namco has experimented with her personality at the cost of putting off people who were attracted to her original personality. Now, it seems like Julia is Julia in name only.

As it stands now aspects are still not going to be enough to make or break Julia. It would take something exceedingly ridiculous or drastic for something like that to happen.

Something ridiculous like this maybe?

http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static...zJr5TYsYCdIs%3D

Speaking on a more personal level, these changes don't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Some people will see it as a major upgrade. Players like you and very few others will see it as a major downgrade. I see it as neither. None of this is going to be enough to distract me from playing the character in the long run and it is ultimately not a big deal.

I don't think anyone is talking about abandoning the character just because she has suddenly been given the personality of a generic Twitch IRL streamer.

People who played Julia before will still play Julia, regardless of the personality. But it comes with the sadness of the dilution of some of their favorite aspects of the character.

If playing as a "mature" female on Tekken 7 is really that big of a concern (that is referring to the characters demeanor in this context) and Julia as she is now is a big problem for you, then you can always avoid buying Julia as DLC and play as Master Raven, Kazumi, Nina, or Anna for example and establish yourself at tournaments or otherwise practice online for improvement on the said characters.

Nobody's asking for this kind of advice from someone like you. Who are you to tell someone not to play their favourite character?

Last edited by dodecadozen on Feb 19th, 2019 at 18:14

Signature Bring back [alex] for T7!
Climbing Dragon
Iron Fist God
#77 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by dodecadozen
This is what the complaint is about. Namco has experimented with her personality at the cost of putting off people who were attracted to her original personality. Now, it seems like Julia is Julia in name only.

Perfectly said.

You made some great points in your post above but this is just awfully close-minded of you. Anyone who is a real fan of Julia is still going to play her regardless of her new personality. For you to sit there and suggest that we should stop complaining about it and play other characters instead is tasteless.
Hasaldo
7th Dan
#78 “Quote” Edit Post
@Great_Dark_Hero
Let's agree to disagree with regards to Julia's design

I am not trying to patronize you, but I know the differences between motivations and personality. I don't need someone like you to tell me so.

If me stating the difference between personality and motivations for the sake of putting emphasis on what I was trying to talk about was insulting, then I offer my sincere apologies.
As far as I'm concerned we were having a quite civilized discussion about Julia's design. I don't see the need for condescending phrases like "someone like you". (I don't even think we know each other on a personal level to be able to use that. Or am I wrong?)
SSfox
Foxstepman
#79 “Quote” Edit Post
I didn't even noticed that her personality changed that much until i read some comments lol, it just shows how i'm not that a big of a fanboy of Julia, but when i took a bit of time and though about her and how she was in Tekken 4 and 5 for example, and yeah there are some drastic changes in her personality. I noticed tho that not all Julia fans are pissed about it too, some doesn't seem to mind it (not talking only about here on TZ)

That being said i'm not really sensitive about it since i guess as i said i'm not a hardcore julia fan, but i do like her gameplay it's seems super fun (i played her a LOT in 5DR, she was almost my fav in this game), i also like her costumes especially the Doctor Julia one.
Great_Dark_Hero
Lone Wolf
#80 “Quote” Edit Post
@dodecadozen

In that case, assuming that everyone is going to agree to every little thing that you and the few others complain about is even worse. Another is that her return as she is now was well-received for the most part, barring a vocal minority that despises whatever change they made to the character.

As for that outfit being ridiculous? That's your opinion. Not everyone is going to give a care about something as little that. YOU may find it ridiculous. Many others are not going to and will think it is going to take a lot more than that to really derail the character. It still won't be enough to really help or damage the character. Her having alternate costumes of this nature shouldn't shock anyone. This is a case of YMMV. I just find these complaints either pointless or arbitrary. And, as I said: People on website love to complain, even if it is ultimately insignificant (and this, I am not not necessarily wrong about).

I made a suggestion to that other member based on what we discussed. It's his choice on what he wants to do. If you don't like a character for some reason or another, don't play them. Save yourself the headache. Play someone else. Unless you are trying to adjust to specific match up or learn how to defend a certain move or play style (or condition yourself to punish something on whiff or block).

And, now will probably be a good time to change this subject before it starts to derail into an argument over the character. While, talking about the characters personality and aesthetic is not a problem in the short term, the game play and move set of the character takes a bit more priority in context of this thread. In addition to how she may do in tournaments based on the information we have available at the moment.

EDIT:

Standby.

@Hasaldo

I shouldn't have said that. Saying "someone like you" is just sending a bad message and I get that.
I acknowledge that we have different perspectives.

What we can agree with is that folks will at least be given the chance to make the character shine in major tournaments or otherwise.

Seeing as now she is going to be available soon (even though she should have been present to begin with, along with several other characters).

Last edited by Great_Dark_Hero on Feb 19th, 2019 at 19:39