Is there any reason to use Forest above Marshall?

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Giradox
3rd Dan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
I know there's a "differences" thread, but this is perhaps (at least meant) a bit more philosophical. Plus, this board could use with a few more threads, I reckon!

For me, Marshall has always seemed like really, really good character since Tekken 5. Castel made two combo videos with him, for goodness' sake. He has so many great moves, combos, and stuff he can do from his DSS stance.

Is there really any reason to using Forest Law? I do not know particularly much about these characters.

Here's what I know:
- Forest has a great move in WR+3.
- He's got the old taggable d+2,3, unlike Marshall, who just has a kick in the second hit.
Forest seems all in all like a character for beginners, or for those who don't want to get too advanced, and the reason is you simply don't have that many possibilities. You can use 4,3,4 or 4,3,2. That's it. Oh yeah, you can do the fake step that doesn't do anything. Marshall can do 4,3 into DSS, or even fullfil the combo and still go into DSS afterwards, from which he has a range of possibilities.

For me, Marshall has always seemed like really, really good character since Tekken 5. Castel made two combo videos with him, for goodness' sake. He has so many great moves, combos, and stuff he can do from his DSS stance.

To me, it burns down to Forest being newer, fresher and sexier (Namco seems to love old guys), and having less annyoing whines than his father (who looks almost as old as Forest, make him 50.) But it doesn't seem to be any reason, other than that, to use him other than Marshall, if you know the moves well. It seems he's got stronger tools for most of the job. And they're so alike as well.

Pardon me if something's unclear.
Signature Jin Kaza.WIN!
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
PSN: Forest613
XBL: ForestSkies
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
They took out the most important thing about DSS, the DSS parry. The super cheap top tier bullshit DSS parry. Gone! Marshall still has DSS 1+2, which will go through a single hit, but it is a high attack, and therefore you risk death when you use it.

I think most Laws use the Laws' BT stance way more than DSS when it comes to offense. DSS is great still, you have DSS 4 and DSS (1+3_2+4) for cracking an opponent's standing guard. But I tend to agree with Rip. Those options out of DSS to get through a standing guard are weak. The opponent has very little reason to duck VS DSS as a result. If they eat the 16 point DSS 4 or get grabbed, which can even be broken somewhat easily if your grab breaking is really good, it is no big deal, really.

Forest's 4,3,2 ends with a mid CH launcher that also bounds and causes knee stun (forced crouch) on block, and is also safe on block, -7 iirc. Wait, whut? CH launcher that bounds, safe and KS? No DSS cancel required?

Both of the Laws' 4,3 strings no longer jail on block, so they are the same in that respect. Jail means they can duck and launch even if they standing guarded the first hit.

While the other less damaging and less punishable options out of DSS are also useful, nothing really screams out to me. They added f+3+4 and 3+4 as moves that you can now do out of DSS, but who cares, really?
BigBlackBaller
Shihan
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Forest has b 121 ch confirmable for much higher damage than b 122 of marshall even though it's startup is 16 not 14 I definitely prefer it. And forest 434 can hit a lot of combos that marshall can't at the end of tag assaults so I feel like he has better open combo damage. No 43 dss f3 though at the wall kinda sucks.

432 is better than 43 dss 2 cause that's a high and most combos that are high damage don't require the dss bound anyway so you aren't losing much there.
The Game
EMP The Game
PSN: DsSGame
XBL: TheSynGame
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
4,3 doesnt jail.
Signature <pukey>: ddp had a better flair
Champion Law of America
Team USA
Top Tier DJ strat:
I'm new to the game but i find that the best way to win is to use f+3 then keep on using 3+4, f+1+2 until there dead.
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by The Game
4,3 doesnt jail.
Not sure what your argument about Forest VS Marshal is when you mention 4,3 since Marshall's also does not jail.

Really good point, BigBlackBaller. Forest's post TA! dash to 4,3,4 does alot more damage in combos than Marshall's Legend Kick. And, if there is a wall nearby, you can just use 3+4 post TA!.

4,3,2 can be used as a wall combo TA!, too, and d+2,3 post TA! on the wall might offer some better wall combos than with Marshall.

Last edited by forest16 on Jan 11th, 2013 at 01:05

squaregatescrub
6th Dan
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
I've seen this comment on youtube:

"Forest is a training wheel for Marshall"

True. As a beginner, I do feel that Forest is more straight-forward than Marshall. Sure he lacks the DSS but he's got a bunch of tools to get the job done. Plus, b+121 is a great CH launcher that does a boatload of damage.
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
I really miss DSS when using Forest...I like Marshall better. Forest just does more combo damage in open stage.
OnlyWingedAngel
1st Dan
PSN: OnlyWingedAngel
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Might have been discovered already, but Forest's f2+3 "run-up" throw actually has a longer range than Marshall's, allot bigger range actually, nothing too extraordinary but there you have it.
Signature Presses all the buttons
AKA PepperBeef2Spicy
Marshall/Lei, Yoshi, Steve, King
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by OnlyWingedAngel
Might have been discovered already, but Forest's f2+3 "run-up" throw actually has a longer range than Marshall's, allot bigger range actually, nothing too extraordinary but there you have it.
Looks like it only has a small bit more range. Both Laws' f+2+3 grabs are prone to whiff after a df+1 hits! And that is if the opponent is standing still, it is even worse if they are holding back to block!

You have to hold forward for a small step and then do the grab or you will probably whiff after a df+1 hits. I did not use Laws much in Tekken 6...was Marshall's f+2+3 grab this crappy back then? Cause, holy shit, no range.

EDIT Of course, you can now do the Run Up To Drop grab as f,f+2+3, which is a big plus when it comes to the grab's range.

Last edited by forest16 on May 8th, 2013 at 03:29