Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
AtomicSurvivor
Kyu
XBL: TheLoneAtom
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Tekken 7 been the only game that I have been struggling with as a player of twenty years. I have mained Armor King in the past and been maining King since AK is no longer part of the roster. I am not necessarily struggling to play play. I understand frame data and I have looked through the move list. I know the character well, where I struggle is the game and how it plays against my disability.

I have Autism, and with Autism comes sensory processing disorder. The way I process information is a bit slower than the way another person processes information. I use to substitute this problem by slowing down the game, by playing defensively and at the right moment hitting hard and fast. Then defend again. Slowing down the game has always been the way for me to be able to process the game at my own pace.

In Tekken 7 it feels at time this playstyle is heavily heavily discouraged as people tend to over power defensive playstyle with over aggressive pressure styles. For me, my processing speed is delayed and my ability to react quickly is slightly delayed due to my disability.

I have tried to do everything I can, I've watched youtube videos, I've played with different characters to get a feel for how they play, I have watched break down videos. But I cannot keep up with the speed of the game when it comes too fast. I've never had such trouble in any of the other games, I always felt like I had a chance even against highly aggressive players. But in this game, it's hard for me to process super pressured players because everything becomes an unprocessed blur.

I am not sure what I should do. Any advice?
M0B
War Lord
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Are we talking about you going to a local tournament and you can't go past group stage, or ranked and you are stuck anywhere below orange (destroyer etc.)?

Either way, when it comes to rank and you are orange or higher, don't worry too much and if you are lower, just lab the characters you just lost to.

Any issues you have with your hands, eyes, rection or w/e shouldn't matter, since you can't really change them, but if someone spams a gimmicky move that you havn't learned how to counter yet, you can always go practice mode and try out what works against it. Fundamentals like KBC and movement in general usually kills even the most aggressive players. backdash backdash duck/ss and you're golden against some characters/players.

If that isn't fun for you or you think it's waste of time, you might want to do something else besides playing tekken.
AtomicSurvivor
Kyu
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by M0B
Are we talking about you going to a local tournament and you can't go past group stage, or ranked and you are stuck anywhere below orange (destroyer etc.)?

Either way, when it comes to rank and you are orange or higher, don't worry too much and if you are lower, just lab the characters you just lost to.

Any issues you have with your hands, eyes, rection or w/e shouldn't matter, since you can't really change them, but if someone spams a gimmicky move that you havn't learned how to counter yet, you can always go practice mode and try out what works against it. Fundamentals like KBC and movement in general usually kills even the most aggressive players. backdash backdash duck/ss and you're golden against some characters/players.

If that isn't fun for you or you think it's waste of time, you might want to do something else besides playing tekken.

I'm pretty close to getting green ranks. Where I am struggling is being able to process everything that is going on at once. And I feel like I as a player am being punished for slower gameplay.
DinoTheDonDaDa
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: DinoTheDonDaDa
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Honestly think you could benefit using Asuka...... her long window parry definitely slows the game down...long range whiff punisher in f2.....a very basic character, who just received plenty of buffs

King is pretty advanced In my opinion..... well-timed, flawless executed command grabs are difficult to do in a fast pace game.... a lot of his better moves and setups require some advance techniques.... but if you feel more comfortable with king, keep using him.... donít be too down on yourself
M0B
War Lord
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Lab other characters and see what you can do against them, while also working on your fundamentals with practice. Knowing your own character is the very first step you make in tekken. You can get to yellow-orange with simple movement and spamming your own launchers, not to mention your throws. It's insane to begin with when you try to understand decision making from your opponent on green ranks and lower... They just spam without using their brain.

I have the same problem with slow reaction and processing too much info in a short time, but i simply put some time in pmode and read a lot in the last few years.
AtomicSurvivor
Kyu
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by DinoTheDonDaDa
Honestly think you could benefit using Asuka...... her long window parry definitely slows the game down...long range whiff punisher in f2.....a very basic character, who just received plenty of buffs

King is pretty advanced In my opinion..... well-timed, flawless executed command grabs are difficult to do in a fast pace game.... a lot of his better moves and setups require some advance techniques.... but if you feel more comfortable with king, keep using him.... donít be too down on yourself

Asuka one of my backup choices at times. I always liked her since her release, but I grew up playing Tekken and you know 6 year old you see a man in a Jaguar mask in freaking padded armor and you're like that's my guy. Too bad he hasn't been in many of the games.

Mob;

King is a slower character though in general. He gets punished for a lot of his tech traps. Like his forward forward delay push. Or even his Jaguar step is both great evasively, but also can be quite punishable as well. And King just gets swarmed by pressure based characters that are faster than him. A single poke when trying to get a grapple or set up a tech trap is just pushed over by someone's dumb jab into a single launcher and you're like, oh okay then why did I bother.

It's also hard to get out of someone's frames at times too. Sidestep, but sometimes even those catch you as you sidestep. I am thinking Lili who just jabs jabs jabs jabs jabs jabs, until she gets her launcher because someone let's down their guard. King has a few counters for it and he can grab her out of it, or his downward scuffle is great if the timing is right.

Again my struggle isn't with the gameplay. It's a literal struggling with my ability to process information and what's going on the screen.

The best example I have of this is in my job we were doing combat training, the instructions were

-I count to 3
-You do the move

My boss counts 1,2,3 and then we punch punch.

In my brain though I am still processing 1,2,3 while everyone is already punching. Then I realized oh shoot I have to punch.

I am not sure how to adapt to Tekken 7 right now because my usual strategy was to always force the faster, more aggressive players to slow their game down, which makes them whiff or have trouble with me. But in Tekken 7 as said, Lili for example, jab jab jab jab. People literally forcing guard until they can get that launcher and I know they are going for a launcher, but I can't just sit there and guard all day. I have to break through somehow in the barrage of neutral jab jab jab jab land.
M0B
War Lord
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Don't worry to much. If you wanna make king work defensively, while having issues with reaction and processing different moves at the same time, you gotta put work into movement and practice things like korean backdash (google/youtube for guides). Two backdashen and random FC d/f+2 gets most players on that rank anyway. Or 2xbd and ss hopkick. You gotta at least try to get a feel for it.

Just today i played against a bryan who only ran up to me, did 1 backdash and spammed b+1. Thank god it didn't work against me, but somehow he got to genbu with it

No matter what condition you have, rarely anyone can see and process all moves in tekken, most of us use some type of gimmick to work around it.
DinoTheDonDaDa
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: DinoTheDonDaDa
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Yea, I feel your struggles with King.... I tried every character in the game, actually doing it again with the new season.... I've always loved King, but you have to process a lot.... he has a nice parry, but you have to decide, do I do the kick parry or the punch parry? Do I the 1 grab or the 2 grab? Too many choices to make.... Don't get me started on the chain grabs... Then the counter df2,1 into the people's elbow, back turn set-up... his max damage combos require precise execution....I tip my hat to Lil' Majin... I'm sure its rewarding to master that character

But anyways... I'd definitely utilize the easy combo option they added. Less to process once you get a launch
EndTimes
Dragon Lord
PSN: Shottanuhmis
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Let me try to give you a hand when you are that low i the ranks most people have no idea what's going on. There is alot of randomness and crazy things going on. You should try to work on spacing and whiff punishment. Forget what they are doing just backdash and make them whiff. This will easily push you over the edge. King is also very reactive changing character always feels like a kick in the nuts in Tekken however you have to come to terms. A prime example I loved Nina I played Nina for years I realized that Nina iws1 combos was a huge entry barrier to becoming a GREAT nina player. I practiced like 8hours a day I build my confidence up go online slight lag drops combo THEN I'm DEAD. Extremely frustrating. I then started to look at other characters. I eventually settled on Alisa. Tekken is such a hard game that playing a simple character to get fundamentals is still hard because to overcome barriers you need to be good at alot of things. Work on Back-dashing and your movement.
Signature Yuh know fi mek a ras clot dumpling?
Kiss mi granny mi know fi do it!
Bunny-
Dragon Lord
PSN: Nightbunny
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
While it won't be a very good or kind comparison:
It sounds like playing after 6 beers - reaction is slowed down, in the defensive Department nothing will work anymore, which is really fucked up and proper playing is not possible anymore. So if I compare it to you, I can understand that it should be really fucking hard for you.

Even if you know the frames of a move, are you able to punish it correctly? If this is a rare occasion on moves you know, you should drop the whole defensive playstyle.

Here are a few points, but keep in mind - every one of those are wrong in high level play and in fact bad habits, but they should help easily to get you into yellow ranks.

- The best defensive option is ducking / sidestepping / antistrats, but you need reaction for it. While db1 / d1 or generic d4s are by far not the best defensive options, they should help you getting momentum and space back. Something like Jab Jab Jab Jab should never work. If you interrupt every option of them with fast crushing moves, they have to adapt and play a slower game and backdash or sidestep after their blocked Jab (green Rank Players won't do that).

- Play a more aggressive game, you will need less reactions and thoughtprocessing for that, because you just chain your moves together. That is also the reason, why everyone in green ranks are 99% on an offensive trip, they have no antistrats and just try to force their gameplay on you.

- Play a character, who can easily play a defensive game, without much thoughtprocess. While Asuka is good for sure, she also needs reactions for well placed crushing moves. And parrys only work, when the pressure is already in your face. I think you want to get rid of most of the pressure-situation and a good choice therefore would be Lei.
Lei with Haha-Step is really hard to pressure, and most players won't know how to approach correctly. Even if you can't punish a whiff after a successful Haha-Step-Evade, it should be possible for you to use their mistakes as possibility to get your mixups and pressure going. Also the manual laydown can help wonders.
Signature Oh, it's a coin!
BigD
Raijin
PSN: d_white90
XBL: BigDofco
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Pick Craig Marduk
Signature Um, you guys suck