Page Splits <12345>...9
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Frontier
7th Dan
PSN: FP-Issum
#41 “Quote” Edit Post
I'll have a draft out soon for Hwo sorry if it's been taking a while.
Signature Calculated.
DirtyMusic
Sage
PSN: AryaJustArya
#42 “Quote” Edit Post
Update 16/06/2017

Added a bunch of writers to the list

-

Good news everyone, our channel is now back! https://www.youtube.com/c/ThatBlastedSalami

As mysteriously as it got taken away it was given back

Zatoichi and Frontier: Great stuff guys. Can't wait to read them.

mirhtril04: Thank you! I'll list you down as our Yoshi writer.

feeqmatic: Honestly Gigas is a bit of a limited character. He's not a grappler and we didn't designate him as such since he can't mix his throws up, but does have that one powerful throw.

ajyou: Cheers! It's good to be back

Last edited by DirtyMusic on Jun 16th, 2017 at 01:56

feeqmatic
Shihan
#43 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by DirtyMusic
Update 16/06/2017

Added a bunch of writers to the list

-

Good news everyone, our channel is now back! https://www.youtube.com/c/ThatBlastedSalami

As mysteriously as it got taken away it was given back

Zatoichi and Frontier: Great stuff guys. Can't wait to read them.

feeqmatic: Honestly Gigas is a bit of a limited character. He's not a grappler and we didn't designate him as such since he can't mix his throws up, but does have that one powerful throw.

ajyou: Cheers! It's good to be back

I would describe him as a "bully" character. He's not a grappler as we both stated, but when you manage to get Gigas in his zone he has a way of basically bullying an opponent to death, especially at the wall. He's got the extra long limbs to poke from distances that most can't. At the wall I like to just back up a step and try to get someone to go for something unsafe then punish with 12, then wall splat into an Oki mix up. He has a good amount of moves like running 2 B2 F4 etc that cause stagger and open up for Goliath mix ups. He's no Marduk, but like Marduk a lot of his fun and strategy comes from Oki options. Stay down or roll and you can catch 30 plus damage from df1+2, 1+2. Get up attack and you get caught with Running 2 which has a ridiculous priority on it's hitbox and if timed right will beat out anything on wake up. If they get up blocking for Running 2, then B2 and F4 will cause huge stagger frames for a free Goliath mix up or just open his offense right up again. Someone stated that a good Gigas is like fighting a wild sliverback gorilla which I get. He reminds me a lot of Astaroth

Lastly is the big point that because of his reach, great tracking, and huge hit box, spacing and movement for him becomes far less significant than most other characters. He's a straight forward character...literally. This simplicity matches his powerhouse moves.

So instead of calling him a grappler Id' say something like Reccomended for people who like a powerhouse character and straightforward attack styles.
DirtyMusic
Sage
#44 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah in the end we summarised him as "Rushdown / Long Reach" in the video for similar reasons as you listed. The Gigas overview is admittedly one of the weaker ones, as we had very little time with the character pre-release and based most of it on match videos.

Would you be interested in helping with our Gigas guide?
Kingindian
6th Dan
#45 “Quote” Edit Post
You say in the video gigas are recommended for players that like grapplers with long reach.
DirtyMusic
Sage
#46 “Quote” Edit Post
If I do a V2 of the overviews the Gigas section will get a bit of redo to focus more on his oki and stagger options. Nonetheless he has one of the better throws in the game, and we didn't designate him as a grappler, the only character fitting that category being King.

Enough with the Gigas talk please, the thread is being derailed.
DirtyMusic
Sage
#47 “Quote” Edit Post
Asuka Kazama starter guide by Fergus is now up.

Soon to be followed by a massive tutorial that covers every one of Asuka's moves in detail. Only in Tekken would a starter guide be over 30 minutes long, but there you go

Asuka Tutorial by Fergus
feeqmatic
Shihan
#48 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah in the end we summarised him as "Rushdown / Long Reach" in the video for similar reasons as you listed. The Gigas overview is admittedly one of the weaker ones, as we had very little time with the character pre-release and based most of it on match videos.

Would you be interested in helping with our Gigas guide?

I could help. I don't know if I'm the best Gigas to try, but I could at least give a start.
mithril04
6th Dan
#49 “Quote” Edit Post
Update 16/06/2017

Sweet. When I said I had a draft I meant I had a notebook with all my compiled Yoshi stuff collected from these forums, various other online sources and my own experience from the first day I mained him which I kept updating with each Tekken. Already finished arranging it according to your format. Right now I'm still updating it to T7FR version but my lab time is limited coz of field work (which technically... is still lab time... haha...). I'll PM you when its decent enough to upload.
PepperBeef2spcy
Kyu
#50 “Quote” Edit Post

PepperBeef: That would be fantastic, thank you! I've checked your channel and you do a great job. I'm doing a few Tekken fundamentals videos this week and next, but towards the end of June I'm going to start putting out character videos. If you could follow the format for that when making the Leo vid, while also adding your own spin to it, would be much appreciated. Do you think it could be ready for sometime around mid to end of July?

Yeah I can be ready for then. I just got my new Elgato last week so Im in business for making videos again. The Leo guide isn't on the schedule just yet, but it's definitely in the planning. I can have it ready any time in July pretty much.
Signature youtube.com pepperbeefsospicy
Scrubby YouTube guy, likes to help people learn tekken.
Whens Lei in T7 Leo is best girl
And yes. it is in fact Too Spicy.
DirtyMusic
Sage
#51 “Quote” Edit Post
PepperBeef, mithril, feeqmatic: Cheers! Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with

Poking, sidesteps, and wizards. All in the latest Tekken Tutorial:

Pokes and Sidesteps
mithril04
6th Dan
#52 “Quote” Edit Post
DirtyMusic. I sent you a PM.
zatoichi Flash!
2nd Dan
#53 “Quote” Edit Post
Finished my Miguel guide. DirtyMusic should I pm you or should I post the link to the google doc here?
DirtyMusic
Sage
#54 “Quote” Edit Post
Cheers guys. Zatoichi either is fine, and then I'll put the link in the opening post.

By the way, we are considering a minor change up in the format for these guides. Since there's often overlap between offense and defense in Tekken, thinking of simplifying it to "Top Moves" and "Situational Moves".

So in the end the layout would be something like

Overview
Top Moves
Situational Moves
Combos
Punishment
Round Up
Anti-Strats

What are your thoughts on this everyone?
zatoichi Flash!
2nd Dan
DirtyMusic
Sage
#56 “Quote” Edit Post
Looks fantastic zatoichi, thank you, and you've done an excellent job of describing both Miguel's offensive and defensive strategies, so I'm going to make a video of it as is.
Azaael
March of Tyranny
#57 “Quote” Edit Post
Cheers guys. Zatoichi either is fine, and then I'll put the link in the opening post.

By the way, we are considering a minor change up in the format for these guides. Since there's often overlap between offense and defense in Tekken, thinking of simplifying it to "Top Moves" and "Situational Moves".

So in the end the layout would be something like

Overview
Top Moves
Situational Moves
Combos
Punishment
Round Up
Anti-Strats

What are your thoughts on this everyone?

You know I'm for it. I kinda feel describing the properties of the moves themselves and stuff they're used for might be more ideal for a new crowd, since they might start to be like 'Wait, you said move was used for X, why isn't it mentioned in Y even though it's used for Y but it's mentioned in Z...' Just discussing some uses may be better, and I like discussing some of the more situational moves since they can have their merits(Jack's section would have, say, f,f+1 under top moves, but then the Jack pancake under situational.)

Also that Miguel guide does look boss. I kinda feel he needs to have the Kenshiro outfit in the tutorial video.
Signature

I scribbled a Tekken Retrospective.
Originally posted by Kane:
they named it matterhorn because lili's uphill battle in tekken is the highest mountain to climb.
zatoichi Flash!
2nd Dan
#58 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks guys. And DirtyMusic the link to the guide on the first page isn't working. I did add some info since I first posted the guide but the link in my previous comment is still working for me.
Macrorang
1st Dan
#59 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by zatoichi Flash!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...dit?usp=sharing

This is definitely a thorough in-depth guide Zatoichi. A good read as well!
Signature Student of the Game! Have fun and learn at the same time!
My first game for the PSX in 95'.......Tekken
- Tekken 7 Character
- Using or experimenting with
DirtyMusic
Sage
#60 “Quote” Edit Post
Just added mithril04's Yoshimitsu guide, which also looks amazing. Really happy with the quality of all these guides so far, so keep it up guys!

Ok fixed the link zatoichi. Should be all good now. Thanks for the additions on Miguel's non-jailing strings. Aiming to videofy it around mid to late July.

In the meantime could you please add something like a flowchart for all his options stemming from df+1 on block? We're really aiming for all the guides to have a list of options from the character's "key move" (eg Mishima ewgf, Drag WR2, Alisa WR2, Steve dcking etc)

For example if they jab a lot, go for SAV df+2 / db+4 / df+1,1, if they try to duck strings throw repeated df+1 or hopkick if confident, if they try to SSL use df+4 or db+4, if they SSR revert back to df+1 / SAV db+3, f+4 as a general tracking option, df+1,2 stops everything but is unsafe on block etcetc.

Some info on f+2+3, df+3,2 and b,f+1 would also be great

Last edited by DirtyMusic on Jun 28th, 2017 at 17:44