OTGF Training

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Exterminator_
Warrior
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
any tips? I'm trying to learn it the traditional way, by keep doing the TGF on and on. Hard to take note of what I'm doing right or wrong though.

Got any proper training regimen for this? Please share!
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
IMHO learn how to do Hwoarang's JF Skyrocket first, it follows the same principle, has the same command and it is somewhat more lenient so it makes it easier to know if you've made any progress. Do that and set yourself some goals in terms of consistency, try to get it 5 times in a row once you can do that THEN move onto OTGF.

Couple tips...

- If you're doing something wrong, try to change up your technique - trial and error/experimenting will get you there quicker.
- It's not what you practice, it's how you practice - If you continuously do the wrong thing then that's what's going to come out in the match.
- Turn on command history, if the command you're doing isn't f,N,d/f+1 then command history will help you to locate that problem. Be certain that the d/f and 1 are hit at the same time!

Hope this helps!
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
Exterminator_
Warrior
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
much appreciated! i could do the demo man blue sparks ,couldnt pull off jfsr though. will put that in practice.

thanks!
sph|nx
Virtuoso
PSN: oo-sphinx-oo
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
I might get blown up for suggesting this, but, because human error is inevitable when trying to pull of something that requires such precise timing, I developed a method of performing this that's been pretty consistent. I've only been playing tekken since this tag 2 and I can do the otgf about 6-7 times out of 10 and heihachi isn't even my main.

Anyway, what I do is I think about the input differently, which takes into account my capacity for human error.
What I do is think about it as:

f~1~d/f

So I try to fit the 1 inbetween the two directional inputs. If I'm too early, I get a jab, but if I'm a fraction late (this is the human error that is inevitable) I get the OTGF, and if i'm really late, d/f+1.

After doing this for a while the motion has become more natural to me and I'm becoming more consistent at it. Hope this helps.
Exterminator_
Warrior
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sph|nx
I might get blown up for suggesting this, but, because human error is inevitable when trying to pull of something that requires such precise timing, I developed a method of performing this that's been pretty consistent. I've only been playing tekken since this tag 2 and I can do the otgf about 6-7 times out of 10 and heihachi isn't even my main.

Anyway, what I do is I think about the input differently, which takes into account my capacity for human error.
What I do is think about it as:

f~1~d/f

So I try to fit the 1 inbetween the two directional inputs. If I'm too early, I get a jab, but if I'm a fraction late (this is the human error that is inevitable) I get the OTGF, and if i'm really late, d/f+1.

After doing this for a while the motion has become more natural to me and I'm becoming more consistent at it. Hope this helps.

nice, I did the same when I started practicing ewgf. except ewgf has a bigger window haha.
Thanks for the share!
Warboss1uk
2nd Dan
XBL: Warboss1uk
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks guys for the tips, I'm currently practicing ewfg's and movement. This thread certainly helped. I'll be doing some vids about my progress in Tekken hopefully.
Kenshobu
Shihan
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
It is possible to "think" or "input" 1 before doing d/f, it can work for some but its not really all that consistent.

The best way is to f,n,d/f+1 and its the most consistent if you practice enough.

The thing about this move is muscle memory and a bit timing, i had sh!tLOADS of trouble learning this move on T6 with Heihachi but it was harder back then, now its easier on TTT2.

- first steps to "master" this ( you will miss sometimes, but because of adrenaline maybe, its Mishima's after all, but that's what makes it so much challenging and fun, that's why i dont play CRAPPY characters who have braindead inputs like Jun )

Practice the move:

Do this very SLOW, and CALMLY, focus on inputting f, then going to neutral, now put your thumb at d and f at the same time after neutral, time it with 1 at the same time.
( focus on that thumb hitting d and f at the same time, if you get that right, the +1 input is cake )

SLOWLY: f,n,d/f+1, SLOWLY!

Don't fucking rush it, if you rush it you will fail and wont learn a sh!t and miss the point of my "training".
Your suppose to do OTGF as SLOW as possible when learning it, teach your thumb and memory to do it, slowly first, because your building that "knowledge" of how to do it, muscle memory in short.
After you do it as calmly and slow as possible, and you get the hang of it ( if you really did it slowly and calmly, you will get the hang of it )
The next challenge is just to speed it up, there's nothing more to it.

But you have to practice this until you get the hang of it, SLOWLY start building that muscle memory and thumb movement.
It follows the same principles of EWGF, front then neutral (but their different, i will explain),
but learning that f,n- is the main key and first step overall.

So OTGF MUST be learned slowly, if say, you know how to do EWGF, and you try OTGF out of the blue, you will notice your just mashing "OTGF" really fast (with no results ), because you have built up your muscle memory for EWGF, that it should be as fast as possible executed, and you try to use the same concept of EWGF on OTGF, it wont work. OTGF must be performed slower and more precise then that of EWGF.

Their similar but think of it as:
EWGF = speed ( if you may )
OTGF = execution wise ( calm but deadly )

Cant really say more, just remember to practice it slowly, get that thumb movement figured out, hit the d/f+1 after f,n and its cake, slow first then you can speed it up when you get the hang of it.
Some say OTGF is easier than EWGF... so its like f,n (then hit d/f+1 ), calm and slow.

But i dont agree with practicing JSFR first, its more accomplishing when you do it with Heihachi, you also get the timing of when you can input new stuff after executing OTGF and so on ( you get the general idea of how long Hei's recovery time is and its range and so on )
so dont practice with Homowrang, i really suggest doing it with Heihachi.
Some other move that follow this OTGF principle, is Kazuya's PEWGF,
f,n,d/f+2, this is a "shortcut" for EWGF for kazuya, its quicker input wise, and if you master OTGF, you will master "PEWGF" aswell as JSFR.

Just dont give up, slow and steady, building up those muscles... SHORIYA!

Last edited by Kenshobu on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 11:35

Budding Fighter
^ Thanks AZYG4LYFE!
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks a lot for this guide, Kenshobu! I quoted your post in the Hwoarang 'JFSR Guide'! Credited to you obviously. Hope you understand.
Signature St. George loves my attitude! ("You know too much." - azL) Everything will remain at 50% of its ideal size.
"Here son do a slight dash after ff4,3 into 4,3,4 when they're flying through the air and those Nina players will stop teasing your execution at school." - Skeering
"If Baek gets your back you basically die." - Bronson
"At the bottom of the tier list, it's hard to hear the bitching from the top." - raybonekilla
Kenshobu
Shihan
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Budding Fighter
Thanks a lot for this guide, Kenshobu! I quoted your post in the Hwoarang 'JFSR Guide'! Credited to you obviously. Hope you understand.

Im no pro dawg but thanks! I am honored ( i do cuss alot.. )

But i didn't cover EVERYTHING about OTGF... And im sure others could explain better.
(you also need to practice doing consecutive OTGF's for some combos, crucial if you want to be a Omen master..)

+ So a advice, when you learn OTGF...

- If you want to challenge yourself with OTGF, i got some combo samples with Heihachi that has OTGF for mixup and practice use.
( note: these combos can be better but it's focused on OTGF practice and usage ).

Combo 1: WS+1,OTGF. ( timing of recovery and range is crucial on this one though, but good to learn )

Combo 2: EWGF,OTGF,f+1+2(B!),OTGF. (after EWGF, your OTGF must be real quick to follow up, so the headbutt(f+1+2) hits for Bound (B!), this is a good combo to practice when learning to OTGF as quick as you can )

Combo 3: partner with Kazuya or D-Jin:
f,f+3, d+1(TAG+B!), using Kaz/D-Jin-> WS+1,2, Hei: OTGF,OTGF ( see if you can hit twice in a row! with wall splatt you can do tripple OTGF! )

Combo 4: Select ANY character you want, have Heihachi as assist, as example im gonna use Kazuya.
- KAZ: EWGF,DEWGF,F+1,d/b+2(B!), HEI: OTGF----> followed with anything with Kaz. ( learn to use OTGF when tag assaulting in short, maybe not the best combo to use tag assault but its for OTGF practice )

Learning just the move itself is fun, but putting it into combos is much more fun
also, its flashy as a mother F-
onlydeviljin
Shihan
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
is otgf punishable on block?
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
OTGF is safe.
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
onlydeviljin
Shihan
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
is there any use for otgf at all outside of combos?
Syn_SC
Destroyer
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
High crush and generally manlier b2.
Also swag. I genuinely use it as my safe powermid in open play.
Signature Dorya!
WadeTWilson
Shihan
PSN: WadeTWilson
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Been trying my luck with otgfs... no dice. I can only do it like 3~4/10. I keep doing d/f+1. What am i doing wrong?? is my f n df+1 too slow on the df+1 part?
Signature Ang kagandahan mo ay parang thesis...
Kelangan pa i-defend.
"People get better by learning as they play. The moment they stop trying to learn while playing is the moment they stop getting better. That's all there is to it. Tekken appeals to those who are curious and rewards those who satisfy that curiosity."
-Wu2003
steelcrezent786
2nd Dan
PSN: strider786
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by WadeTWilson
Been trying my luck with otgfs... no dice. I can only do it like 3~4/10. I keep doing d/f+1. What am i doing wrong?? is my f n df+1 too slow on the df+1 part?

It depends on the moves that comes out, Usually if do it to fast or slow its d/f+1. I do know that if its a TGF, your inputs f,n,d,d/f+1 (extra d) meaning your thumb hit down. Check your command history if you want to know exactly what your doing wrong. Not trying to be patronizing, but it MUST be d/f and 1 at the SAME TIME. Like kenshobu said its all about muscle memory, and to do it slowly and precisely. Also bare in mind this is gonna take a lot of hours of practice so your not gonna get it consistent for a good while yet. But it'll click eventually. Hope this helped.
Signature -----> Main
------> Subs
Steve, Armor King, Xiaoyu, Jin ----> learning
onlydeviljin
Shihan
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
like hwos jfsr its easier if you think about hitting 1 slightly before d/f instead of at the same time. is otgf really safe on block though? you cant get juggled by jabs?
Syn_SC
Destroyer
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
No. Nothing in the game can block punish it ever.
Signature Dorya!
roachthedon
3rd Dan
PSN: roachthedon
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by onlydeviljin
is there any use for otgf at all outside of combos?

A setup i use sparingly is otgf then imeadiatly f+3+4 alot of people like to try to jab out of panic after blocking this and if they do this will parry and set them up for 2,1 or 1

you can also use it for safe wall push or pressure,and also for a high crush,another option is to use it at the beginning of a round every now and then

Last edited by roachthedon on Dec 11th, 2012 at 01:55

Signature psn:roachthedon
I was using heihachi before he was cool lol
Lyrax
1st Dan
XBL: LyraxTekken
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by WadeTWilson

Wow look a 2015 reply, how time flies.

Anyway, I have found that using the analog sticks on PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers to perform the d/f is much easier. I hit the OTGF 8/10 times using this method after a good solid 35 minutes of non stop practice.

Just a small suggestion to help improve. (If you still need it, that is. xD)
Lee Yan Douh
Kyu
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
There is actually another input for OTGF and JFSK which is like the second motion of PEWGF so you press f, d, d/f+1 with d instead of n and it worked for me.
Signature ""And if you gaze for long into an abyss... the abyss gazes also into you."