Most rewarding advanced character to main!?

Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
UndeadEwok
5th Dan
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
What's good gentlemen.

Been playing Tekken since the days of T1 in the arcades. I've played a decent amount of each character and love them all. I've always felt that my level of play got stagnant due to never having a true main.

I love playing the more difficult characters since they feel more rewarding. Was looking to see what people thoughts are on what character people feel are the most rewarding for their difficulty curve.

In the past I've played the Mishima's the most (Hei has the most play time). In the past I sunk countless hours into Bryan, Steve, and Ling.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?
gettingfood
Raijin
PSN: Gettingfood
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Eliza Akuma and Gesse all become very dangerous with enough execution. Aukma and Eliza both can launch at i10 with meter. Eilza's dive kick pressure is a great tool.

Lee in season 2 is worth the effort. He gets 47 damage as a i10 punish, if you can pull it off. You unlock great wall carry with your execution. Nina is great as well, her butter fly combos are insane. King is great if you want to make use of buffering execution as well as iWR options. Along with an character only wave dash command that is super hard to learn. They are the ones that come to my brain at least.
pcmacro
Crackers for Trolls
PSN: pcmacro
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Devil Jin is OP. Best choice.
StudBuddha
#ANNAISBACK
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Nina because she'll give you just that. IMO she's still the hardest.
wrazor
Champion
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Was gonna say Bryan and Kazuya when read the heading. Turns out, you have been through Bryan and all the mishimas.

I will go with a different kind of character then. Lee.

Poke heavy, lacks hell sweeps and launchers. Extremely low juggle damage, but very agile and deals with all range and all situations pretty well.
sheep 2.0
Virtuoso
PSN: sheepzaibatsu
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Saying Lee's juggle damage is "extremely low" is a bit of an exaggeration. It's not that great, but it's not exactly low either. It's just mediocre at best. With Lee you really need to work hard to get the big boy stuff, but he is fun to play and is worth the effort.
Signature RIP Old Account (September 2006 - April 2012)

My Player Card
alexr
Raijin
PSN: TeamKandR
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
You all have good opinions and you should feel good.
Signature blog it out! http://alexr-fightgames.tumblr.com
feeqmatic
Shihan
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Raven and Lei feel incredibly rewarding when you get them going.

When it's someone who doesn't know the matchup, it's like toying with your food, especially with Raven who can take 65% of a health bar with wall and almost any launcher. When someone does know the matchup and you have to get creative and disciplined it's just as good though you might find yourself wishing you had a simpler character like Shaheen if you're playing at a high level.

Lei is really tough to win with at high levels to me cause his range is so bad and his punishment is awful. But again, when folks don't know the matchup you can get away with tons of Kung Fu shenanigans.

Lastly there's Steve. I haven't learned him well enough in 7, but he's ver complicated and requires a disciplined play style, but unlike Raven and Lei he has useful tools at every level so you don't get super bogged down in a very long move set, nor do you have to rely on clever/risky usage of gimmicks to compete at a high level.
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
XBL: Steam:FerDeSantander
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Hardest characters to play execution wise are Mishimas, but from another point of view not including execution wise, the hardest then was always Hwoarang.

However, when you say this:

Originally posted by UndeadEwok
I've always felt that my level of play got stagnant due to never having a true main.
Which is my case too since t1, then that doesn't compute at all. Playing all characters should lead to anything other than a stagnant play level.

Playing all characters or most of them not only should enrich your game experience but also your skill at it. So I don't get what you mean at all
Signature Long Live the King of Iron Fist, Heihachi Mishima.

UndeadEwok
5th Dan
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Fernandito
Playing all characters should lead to anything other than a stagnant play level.

Playing all characters or most of them not only should enrich your game experience but also your skill at it. So I don't get what you mean at all

Yes in terms of learning the game and mastering it's fine points. But, not knowing what moves are most effective in each case against a cast of characters and their move sets. If that makes any sense.
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
No sorry, in your case (which is mine as well) it doesn't make sense after all the time you (and me) have been playing. We all have trouble against some particular characters, but that isn't because we don't know how to counter some particular moves but because the opponent may very well be better.

Easy example. I know how to punish moves a and b of this character while using a or b character; however, I can't win because I see myself overwhelmed by the superior gameplay level of my opponent despite the fact I know my and his character to perfection.

I too play since '96 and been knowing this from the beginning. Also, this applies to any other game not just tekken, as we could have it no other way.

WhiteOni
Lone Wolf
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
As a Lee main since a few months, his wall carry is really not that impressive.
There are alot of characters that have Lee like wall carry without any of the execution. And the moments where walls are rly far away and very situational.

You have to clench your buttcheeks pretty hard with Lee if you want insane wall carry.
StudBuddha
#ANNAISBACK
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Nina's execution is harder than Mishimas and Hwoarang. I've never thought of Hwoarang as hard. He just has a lot of moves to remember and more stances than the others.
UndeadEwok
5th Dan
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by StudBuddha
Nina's execution is harder than Mishimas

TBH I really never thought of the Mishima's as hard; outside of mastering wave dashing and ewgf's, which by now is all muscle memory.

My rig is currently in a comatose state, so I'm SOoL till January. What in your opinion makes her more difficult? Her, Anna and Eddy are literally my least played characters, so I admit I'm pretty ignorant about her.
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by StudBuddha
Nina's execution is harder than Mishimas
I respect your opinion, but of course the inviability of accepting that as a fact borders on the absolute. Hope you understand the ubber imposibility of buying that.

About Hwoarang we may agree to disagree. That's an opinion of mine i carry on with since the days of tekken3 when he first appeared, and if I'm honest to you, haven't changed such view of him by the slightest. (I'm no Hwoarang user btw)

UndeadEwok
5th Dan
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
According to Steve during Conquest states Nina has the hardest execution at 1:35.

https://youtu.be/CzKV_Ymt68A

Again, beyond that I'm ignorant on defending this point.
Fernandito
Sweet Spanish Macho
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by UndeadEwok
beyond that I'm ignorant on defending this point.
No more than the guy stating that in that video, so don't you worry

StudBuddha
#ANNAISBACK
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Fernandito
I respect your opinion, but of course the inviability of accepting that as a fact borders on the absolute. Hope you understand the ubber imposibility of buying that.
That's true. They have their own difficult things about them. I'm a Nina player so I am bias.

Originally posted by Fernandito About Hwoarang we may agree to disagree. That's an opinion of mine i carry on with since the days of tekken3 when he first appeared, and if I'm honest to you, haven't changed such view of him by the slightest. (I'm no Hwoarang user btw)
What about Hwoarang makes him difficult? I played him in season 1 for a little bit but I don't know what makes him one of the hardest.