Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
MmmBaekon
2nd Dan
PSN: XxGalileoxX
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
What are your most useful setups for arc blast? Such an important weapon in Lars' movelist but so punishable if whiffed. I have seen some vids of lars players with high efficiency using it, what are your strats!
Morninglord
Synthetic Insanity
PSN: Morninglord
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Backdash.
Signature Zhan: The real enemy is yourself.
Katt
Berserker
PSN: iMKatt
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Blocked df+1 to ss f+1+2.

Punish.

db+1,3~d ss f+1+2.
DigitalCount
Mister Pittsburgh
PSN: DigitalCount
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Morninglord
Backdash.
Really? I almost never get it on a BDC, it's pretty much just SS a jab and annihilate. Also, this is probably a better discussion for the QnA thread, although this move is so important I may allow this thread. I'll have to consider it a bit more.
-DC
Signature Now with more EXCERRENCE
Steve Gets Fresh

2016: Manji Assassins Political Party
SCT4LIFE
Morninglord
Synthetic Insanity
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
I like to use pushback moves and will often back off even on hit, to make people think they can attack and then whiff punish what they throw out. I consider ss so obvious I didn't bother to mention it. It's not an indication of preference or anything.
I also do not ss jab arc blast because, well, you can't do that on reaction. You are anticipating and committing to it, not seeing it. A single 1 jab is much too fast of a recovery to 15 frame punish it. 1,2's and such yeah sure, but not a single 1 jab.
If I expect them to poke like that, super safe, and want to ss for a blind attack I ss+2. Much safer. Against a good opponent if you love your ss arcblast too much that you are doing it out of habit you will quickly find yourself running into -14 punishes a lot more than you would like.

An example of what I mean by backing off on hit. You'll find that a lot of people will lose their patience and attack or try to ch you with magic 4 or something like that after a certain number of quick pokes regardless of hit or block. So I backdash that attempt and then whiff punish it.
Most of my game is based around whiff punish. If this was boxing you'd call me an outboxer. A good player that knows how to really get in there and infight is a real nightmare for me. I'm not good at it. Trying to get better, but it just doesn't come natural.

Last edited by Morninglord on Mar 20th, 2013 at 04:14

MmmBaekon
2nd Dan
PSN: XxGalileoxX
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Thanks. Thats helpful, I use lars and bruce, two characters who thrive on being defensive but I'm not a defensive player, I'm trying to break the habit. But what are lars' best pushback moves? I know 1,2 is good on plus frames but you're still right in their 0-1 range, and ff1+2 is solid but has a lot of startup. There's this move where I've seen lars take an evasive stepback and a forward thrust with his left fist, idk the annotation though, seems to be quick and he steps back so far its so good, just dont knw what it is.
Morninglord
Synthetic Insanity
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
b+2,1 on hit, f+12 on hit or block, b+1 on hit, db+1 at far range on hit, f+4 on hit or block, ff+1+2 on block, se1 on block, df+1 hit or block, 2 on hit or block, 1,2 on hit or block.
The trick is to backdash yourself after these moves, because you look like you are still within range but you are hovering on the edge of 0-1 range and for some of them even further that that. You wont avoid everything all the time, especially if they know you are going to do it, but most long range moves that can catch you are slow and you'll avoid hopkicks for sure. Because you aren't so far back most quick moves that people will throw out to outpoke you on your low negative can be whiff punished, except single 1 jabs.
The above moves that are very good + on hit I wont always backdash, I may throw another poke to frustrate them then backdash when I feel they'll probably throw something out. You gotta feel out your opponent.
Sometimes I will just keep poking until they block something because it makes you look like you are going into a mindless pokey frenzy and better opponents who know frames will often take a -1 as an opportunity to slip in a magic 4 or something like that. Then they look at you in disbelief because nobody ever whiff punishes their magic 4 wtf mang and you just grin.
Also another tip not many people know. dick jabs, ie generic FC d+1, d+2 are both launch punishable on whiff.

Last edited by Morninglord on Mar 26th, 2013 at 08:07

EndTimes
Dragon Lord
PSN: Shottanuhmis
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
I need to SS better I not to particularly which moves to SS after I only ever catch a arc blast from side step.
Signature Yuh know fi mek a ras clot dumpling?
Kiss mi granny mi know fi do it!
<BTS>Zeus
5th Dan
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Just try anything to make your enemy whiff! backdash, sidestep, or ducking/crounching. Punishing may work unless you are sure or the enemy made a wrong move.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
for setups in my case, i recommend doing pokes then backdash or sidestep. Example: poke w/ (1,2) (2,1) (1,4) (FC,df+1+2) any pokes. Another good setup i use all the time is
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(f,f+3+4), sidestep then JYU!, because the enemy will get to a crouch and they will try to punish you back with a while rising.