Page Splits 1...<45678>...9
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
HigherPrimate
2nd Dan
#101 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Shibble
No point in learning a character just to mash buttons RSS, it'll work on a few morons but aside from that you're just gonna get your shit pushed in.
I think what the OP implied by best beginner character was which characters out of all the ones available are well rounded without too much complexity towards how they function and a friendly learning curve when it comes to execution.

7KGRZuWXVhA
Shibble
Deity
#102 “Quote” Edit Post
LOL
Signature http://twitch.tv/Sh1bble
Rifee
2nd Dan
#103 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kenshobu
Well a list of easy to play characters ( and spammy characters ):

Law - forrest
Nina
Anna
Bruce
Hwoarang and Beak ( yes these b!tches are easy to play so dont whine )
Bob
Miguel
Paul
Eddy and his clones ( one of the easiest to play )
Lili ( this was the easiest character to play in Tekken 6, Harada even said so )
Asuka and Jun
Xiayou (a.k.a Ling)

The challenging Characters:
Mishimas
King and A-King ( although these character can be easy to lame with.. )
Bryan ( a bit challenging .. )
Dragunov ( the best character in terms of defence, master his defence and your invincible )
Jin ( one of the hardest to play but he has good pressure game )
Marduk ( big character, they are usually slow but his reversals can make up for it and his heavy damage )
Raven ( i think )
Yoshimitsu ( he is hard to play as i have heard and tested back when i was a newbie )
Steve ( he can spamm and is quick with jabs but his stances are a bit challenging and some combos but his weakness is that he is a bit too obvious )
Leo ( might be challenging )
Lei ( althou he can be a nuisance.. his 4 stances or more.. is a bit hard to master * he is also a TROLL!* )
Lee ( his wall carries must be good or you fail the combo )

The other characters not listed here i have not much experience with and maybe i might be wrong about some in the list. Hope it helps...

Sight..

Standard easy to learn characters: (everyone is hard to master to some degree)

- Paul
- Jack/proto Jack
- Feng (again hard to master)
- Miguel
- Somewhat leo (not too sure)
- alisa
-lili

Some that are easy to grasp the gasics of but lacks abusable moves for beginners:
- lee
- Ancient ogre

characters that ahve basic that are not hard to understand but which require more then basics to be any good at (vs. non shitty opponents:
- Ak
- Bob
- Jinpachi
- Jin
- Bruce

Again this is highly subjective.

I play AK /lee so at least those I have "some" experience with
Signature Ground stomp <3

Ak main
Lee 2nd
CinnamonGirl
Warrior
PSN: EtoilePrincess
#104 “Quote” Edit Post
easy charaters IN MY OPINION:

Lili, Alisa, (these 2 were my beginner characters in T6), Lars (or I might've just been lucky), Anna(?), and jun (picked her up too easily even without experience from asuka)

Try Xiaoyu too. she's not an easy character but fun as a beginner character.
Signature "at this point I think you maybe the kewlest person on this forum!" -STG
KEWL!

Yeah I don't even know why I'm here
Giradox
3rd Dan
#105 “Quote” Edit Post
Jinpachi seems like an overlooked choice. I just began using him now, he has easy-to-do, high-damaging moves and combos, often with stuns in them. Very powerful, quite easy to use. As far as I know he doesn't have that just frame-crap that Paul has to use to be effective.
Signature Jin Kaza.WIN!
KPractice
Virtuoso
PSN: K-Stick-Practice
#106 “Quote” Edit Post
Lets start with hardest to play/learn seriously:

Mishima's, Nina and Lei

Easiest (takes an hour or two):

Asuka/Jun
Alisa
Lili
Laws
Jinpachi
Ganryu
Dragonuv
Ancient Ogre

I base it on easy inputs; these guys have the easiest bound inputs and combos and still do quite a bit of damage.

Extra - somewhat easy:

Paul - until you need demolition man and death fist
Lars - until you need to do serious combo's - his inputs aren't that user friendly
King/Armor King - until you need to do giant swings and shining wizards
Baek/Hwo - until you need to do mad kick string/mixups
Feng - bound inputs aren't friendly enough
Miguel/Leo/Zafina - until you need to get into their stances
Jack/P.Jack - would be easy but their bound input can be tricky for beginners

Last edited by KPractice on Feb 8th, 2013 at 17:18

Signature "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee
Zahlzeit
Kyu
#107 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm surprised people are rarely mentioning Kunimitsu
tyler2k
PSN: tyler2k1
#108 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Zahlzeit
Actually, yeah, I 100% agree with you.

She has a great assortment of tools, has some really safe tricks, and isn't executionally demanding.

Originally posted by KPractice
Dragonuv
There is no way Dragunov falls into the "learn in 1 hour" category. iWS, iWR, now has CDc combos, no generic hop kick, no generic d/f+2, no i10-i14 NH KND/W! (w/o JF execution), poor overall tracking, way too many high ending strings (therefore must learn how to hit/CH confirm).

Jinpachi, I agree, Dragunov, no.
Signature My fighting game website - NOW BACK!!! | twitch.tv/tyler2k - My twitch.tv channel |
Tutorial Series: iWS tutorial video | CC and CDc tutorial video | Hit Confirm tutorial video
Beginner Series: Throw System (Part 1, Part 2)
PaperSamurai
5th Dan
XBL: PaperSamuraiX0
#109 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Zahlzeit

It's probably because there are characters who are easier to use compared to her, and probably because she's a new character. Either that or her hopknee doesn't low crush so you can't exactly spam hopknees.

I agree with you though. I'd say she's even easier than some of the commonly mentioned "easy" characters like Dragunov, Bob and Leo.
Signature

"The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are."
Corwynt
Kyu
PSN: Corwynt-
#110 “Quote” Edit Post
What makes Bryan challenging? I was planning on pairing him with Jack or Jinpachi. Is it just the taunt?
tyler2k
#111 “Quote” Edit Post
My guess would be getting JU out in i14, learning how to CDc, and learning how to sway cancel as standard KBD won't work. Taunt takes practice, but I'd say it's no longer the end all, be all in TTT2 since it doesn't track anymore so there's fewer situations for taunt wall pressure.
Signature My fighting game website - NOW BACK!!! | twitch.tv/tyler2k - My twitch.tv channel |
Tutorial Series: iWS tutorial video | CC and CDc tutorial video | Hit Confirm tutorial video
KPractice
Virtuoso
#112 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by tyler2k
Jinpachi, I agree, Dragunov, no.

He is easy (input wise). Perhaps the hardest out of the easy list but still easy enough. Sure at higher level, he may struggle as you say, but for a newbie, who is trying to get into Tekken, he's pretty easy to use; simple launch, simple string that bounds and a simple ender i.e. df2, 41,132 B!, d413 = 70 dmg.

Lets be real, if new players want to get into a serious level, then they will realize no character is easy; each has flaws and it then depends on a players skill/knowledge and experience to cover those flaws.

I thought this was beginner thread...

Secret: All characters are easy, you just need to put in enough time in practice mode.
Shibble
Deity
#113 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by KPractice
Lets be real, if new players want to get into a serious level, then they will realize no character is easy; each has flaws and it then depends on a players skill/knowledge and experience to cover those flaws.

I don't think you realise how much harder Dragunov is compared to a lot of other characters, as I've already said in this thread, yes his low damage juggles are easy to do but what's the point of using him if you're not gonna aim for his staples.
Whenever I play vs a Dragunov that doesn't use high damage staple combos I play risky as crap, because I know even if he punishes me the damage I'm going to take is minimal compared to the reward if I hit something.

I've been practicing Taunt Jet Upper with Bryan for 6 months and still haven't fully got it down and in all honesty I think Dragunov is way harder to consistently land stuff with than Bryan, by the time you've got him down if you're not doing f+3,D/F~u sequences in your juggles you may as well be playing Kuma.
QuarterHungaryn
Virtuoso
PSN: QuarterHungarian
#114 “Quote” Edit Post
i could teach someone how to play asuka in 10 minutes i kid you not

also a lot of people in this thread are forgetting...

easy juggles doesn't mean easy to play... it says a lot about the caliber of a few people in this thread if all they think about is juggles...................

(i think i need more ellipsis)............
Signature /

"Africa, where food is scarce. Africa, where people are thin. Balumbo Shamanaka, Balumbo Shamanaka."
Shibble
Deity
#115 “Quote” Edit Post
Well he doesn't have a backsway so that isn't hard to execute in his movement department.
You don't need to use iWS+4 to pick people off the floor since you have 3,1 (Unless it's mid juggle).
All of his punishers are easy to execute, he doesn't have anything bordering close to Kazuya's 13 frame electric.
As for anything else he has very few crush moves that require creative thinking, Dragunov's bordering on a gimmick free character that's very bread and butter that scales with your ability to execute flawlessly when opportunities arise.
kappa
2nd Dan
PSN: Uncanny1
#116 “Quote” Edit Post
The best beginner character is ...

well there is none in my opinion. Any character can be played on a fundamentally basic level and still whoop ass. The first character(s) I started with since Tekken 1 is mishimas. You get good with one character, and develop with that character.

Once you have an understanding of your character and how the game system works, learning another character becomes much easier.

more technical things such as Bryan's Taunt JU, Kaz's CH d/f+2~PEWGF, Asuka's CH FC d/f+2~CC:f+2, etc. etc. are things a beginning player should not even concern themselves with.

Just focus on the basics such as movement (basic forward/back dashing, side step, sidewalk), punishment and working on your own game.

Fancy stuff like TOP TIERZ SSS DMG COMBOS, iWS, iWR, iSW, BDC, etc. can be worked on another time once you have a solid grasp on the game.

Just pick who you like and stick with them, just my .02~
Signature - "話にならない。"
"It's the knowledge of self understanding of the things around me that becomes the wisdom that I need. " - "feather" - 瀬葉淳

[my mkp stick]
KPractice
Virtuoso
#117 “Quote” Edit Post
@Shibble: Was going to reply but Kappa already put it exactly what I had in mind.
Shibble
Deity
#118 “Quote” Edit Post
When I said about Dragunov's staple combos I wasn't referring to KYSG max combo damage, I mean HIS STAPLES.
You're not gonna see a bryan player bind everything with ff+4, but you're not going to see him do dogshit simple combos when he knows everything about the character, damage isn't everything agreed, but you're only going to get so many opportunities per round and if you're doing lackuster damage you're going to lose to people with fundamentals that might not even be as good as yours just because they're killing you before you get a chance to do anything.

The amount of people I beat on Tekken Tag 2 when it first came out who were better than me with movement, punishment and spacing was disgusting just because I knew how to blow people up with Bryan's combo damage was stupid, Kappa's right that people should work on fundamentals before crap like EWGF, Taunt Jet Upper and all that other stuff but there's a line that needs to be drawn.

If I run into a Kazuya who launches me with a WGF and only does WGF, d/f+1,2, B!, d/f+312 or something silly I'm going to take stupidly dangerous risks because the poor damage he does isn't a big enough incentive for someone to play sensibly.
tyler2k
#119 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by kappa
Fancy stuff like TOP TIERZ SSS DMG COMBOS, iWS, iWR, iSW, BDC, etc. can be worked on another time once you have a solid grasp on the game.
Except iWR for Dragunov is 100% necessary for his pressure game. Without the threat of ~+4 off of iWR+2, his sub-par poke game gets completely destroyed hopkicks. This isn't about SSS DAMAGE, this is about trying to beat someone with a character without real gimmicks. Also iWS+4 isn't about maximizing damage as much as getting real combos to land, you know, combos that actually lead to wall carry.

Like I said earlier, removing "iWS, iWR, now has CDc combos", Dragunov still has "no generic hop kick, no generic d/f+2, no i10-i14 NH KND/W! (w/o JF execution), poor overall tracking, way too many high ending strings (therefore must learn how to hit/CH confirm)" as well as no generic magic/CH 4, no #YOLO low launcher (i.e. snake edge) or low crush launcher (i.e. Lars u/f+3).

Apart from basics such as movement and fundamentals, NOTHING transfers over to other characters (as far as a beginner is concerned).
kappa
2nd Dan
PSN: Uncanny1
#120 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by tyler2k
This isn't about SSS DAMAGE, this is about trying to beat someone with a character without real gimmicks.

^This. Once a player wises up and sees through the gimmicks, if a player plays with nothing but gimmicks they have no real fundamentals to fall back up.

Apart from basics such as movement and fundamentals, NOTHING transfers over to other characters (as far as a beginner is concerned).

this is true; also characters who play similar (e.g. mishimas, williams sisters) will have similarities that will make it a bit easier to pick them up IF you already have one of them down for the most part.

Having basics down will let a learning player gradually figure out what's safe, what tools to use, etc.

Again, just limiting these things as far as a beginner goes..
Signature - "話にならない。"
"It's the knowledge of self understanding of the things around me that becomes the wisdom that I need. " - "feather" - 瀬葉淳

[my mkp stick]