Page Splits 12>
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Wiggins
4th Dan
XBL: WigginsBabySlap
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
How's it going everyone? I'm Wiggins AKA Dr Niggins as I'm called these days.
I've been playing Tekken seriously since late 2009 and I'm looking for some help.

What follows are some matches that me and my buddy GuyInGreen played earlier tonight and we'd both like to get some criticism/tips to help our game.
I'm only looking for tips on Marduk in particular in this thread, and I'll ask the other character sections for the other characters.

There are six matches I'm asking you guys to look at and help with. So I wouldn't blame you if you didn't actually want to take the time. But if you do, GREAT!

I've been maining the DUK since I started playing T6 and I know I still have some bad habits. So point 'em out and make me feel bad so I STAHP. I just picked up Yoshi a few days ago, so take it easy on 'em. And Ryck has only been playing since TTT2 came out, but played MK competitively for years.
Spoiler (highlight to reveal)

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

Match 4

Match 5

Match 6

Thanks in advance, everyone.

EDIT: How the fuck do you use spoilers? amidoinitrite? I don't think so.
Signature TTT2: Marduk/???

UMvC3: Tron/???/Doom

If you can't tell, I'm in a never ending character crisis.
Icege
iku iku ikuuu
PSN: Icege-_-
XBL: Ic3ge
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
You whiff a lot. Try to imagine every time that you whiff an attack, you get taxed 45%.
Signature [04:25] WayGamble: hey hey hey
[04:25] WayGamble: i dont talk shit to you cuz you dont put yeast in your bread now do i?
[04:25] Icege:
[04:25] TekkenJam: jew
LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
PSN: ragepenguin
XBL: GUYFOXMASK
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
CONS (ONLY WATCHED THE FIRST VID)

1) you use yoshi's b+2,1 as a poke - I think its launch punishable
2) you eat paul d+1+2 in the open which means you aren't thinking about blocking
3) your combos with yoshi are somewhat UNORTHODOX AND CREATIVE, I don't see the synergy between these two
4) your tag assault stuff uses a lot of jabs as filler, which hinders your damage
5) you don't have a real combo off of f,f+1+2, this could have closed the last round of the first match vid way earlier by killing the point character.
6) you need to tell your partner that all those launchers you were spamming are somewhat punishable that helps you get better even if you lose because of it.
7) you don't know very much okizeme, you let your opponent get up for free far too often, I did see you try a ground grab but it seemed like you only try it off of certain knockdowns when its good in other situations as well
8) you did the lifesteal grab with yoshi - i think a normal grab would have done the job in that time.
9) you closed out the last round of the first vid with d/f+2,2 yoshi. - i believe this be punishable as well.
Wiggins
4th Dan
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
@Icege
That is an excellent idea. >_>
Thank ya, sir.

@LatterDaySaiyan
1. It's unfortunate, but my main means of practicing is online. The only time I get to consistently play against other people IN PERSON is at our weekly fight nights. I'm slowly(read: VERY SLOWLY) starting to drop some habits, namely throwing out d/f+3 1(2) at random. It's a terrible habit because I know d/f+3 1 is unsafe I just haven't been able to break it yet. T-T

2. I tend to eat a LOT of stuff, actually. I hate it. I know I should block, but I have the mindset to where I want to poke instead. Duly noted, though. Thank you.

3. lol, yea. Like I said, my Yoshi is fairly young. So I'm still learning my way around with him. I'm proud of what I've come up with, though. I like the unorthodox. It makes stuff more interesting. And there may not be much synergy, but I love these two. Yoshi was my homeboy in SC.

4. Didn't realize I was using jabs in my fillers. I thought I always did d+2 1+2 with Duk and b+2 1 with yoshi. >_>

5. This has been my default for that grab forever. T-T What SHOULD I be doing here? I NEED real combos, man.

6. Most definitely. I've told him that the d/f+3,1 launcher was punishable. I need to tell him that he can duck the 2 if I use it. Otherwise he should jab the fuck out of me, at least.

7. I do NOT. I'm still not sure what oki ACTUALLY is. Please explain it to me. It's kinda sad that I've been playing this for so long and didn't know. But to be fair, I'm just now getting into the competitive aspect of 3d games.

8. yea, probably so. >_>

9. I know that it's at least jab punishable.

Thanks for all the feedback!

LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
5) your combo was ff+1+2, f+3,2~5 B! TA! FC+1

the "run under combo" works

f,f+1+2, SSR f+3,2~5 B! yoshi b+2,1 marduk run underneath 1,2,vtsc f,f+1+2 does 85 damage.
I messed around with other combos including one that used b+3,3 as yoshi. but if you want to take red life I used f,f+1+2~5, yoshi KIN 2, 1+2 B! b+2,1 KIN 1+2 I think it was decent red life dmg.
insanelee
tinh yeu
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
fuck learning marduk/yoshi. learn tekken please.

bronson.
Signature www.eightarc.com
Wiggins
4th Dan
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
That's a bit harsh, don't ya think? >_>

Thanks for the tips, LDS.

insanelee
tinh yeu
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
its actually not that harsh.

bronson.
Wiggins
4th Dan
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
I mean... I know Tekken. Maybe not as much as I should. But I know it.
What don't I know that I SHOULD know? I guarantee I'll learn dem shits.

LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
its like playing smash without knowing how to l-cancel or wondering why you get hit when you're shooting fox's laser non stop or walking around trying to falcon punch people from 0% and up. you're playing this game turn based instead of real time.
Wiggins
4th Dan
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
I like that... Good example.

So how do I change this?
It's unfortunate that I live in the area I do. Not many people around here play Tekken seriously. The only person I know of in Louisiana who is actually good is Isaiah from Lafayette.

Unfortunately, Lafayette is at least 3 hours away and I'm too poor to afford going back and forth.

insanelee
tinh yeu
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
you dont know tekken.

bronson.
LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
there's one guy here who simply watches as many videos as he can (from jpn and korea) and steals set ups and stuff. if you watch high level play and ask the right questions some improvement gains may be seen. also practicing things like bdc and breaking throws, learning frame data and punishment options in practice mode also. playing online can expose you to other characters and styles that your friend may not be able to. traveling can be good but honestly there's other games that you can play online that are actually competitive (league of legends)
Wiggins
4th Dan
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
I do travel for tournaments. I've only played TTT2 at one tournament and that was Red September. My next tournament is gonna be Texas Bar Fights in Dallas this December.

I can backdash cancel, I'm getting slowly better at teching throws, and I guess I just lack setups.
idk.
But as far as travelinn goes, I've been traveling to tournaments for a few years now for various games. Namely Smash and Mahvel.

Also: why don't I KNOW Tekken? T-T tHATS not very helpful.

LatterDaySaiyan
5th Dan
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
nah its not set ups, its tekken itself that you lack. you don't know tekken because you don't know tekken. without tekken there can be no tekken. you may read this and think its a joke but its not, tekken isn't about combos or set ups, first off. when i did 1+2, giant swing, as roger jr and Nin was watching, he shook his head at me. I understood then that I didn't know tekken.
Wiggins
4th Dan
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
>_<
I am completely lost. How is this supposed to help?

insanelee
tinh yeu
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
dont worry wiggins, saiyan confused the shit out of me too.

bronson.
Wiggins
4th Dan
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Come on, fellas. Help a Niggins out.
What do I need to become better?
What should I practice, what should I read, what do I need to know that I don't already?

Icege
iku iku ikuuu
PSN: Icege-_-
XBL: Ic3ge
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
He means to learn how to play Tekken, not do what you want to do or learn how to play specific characters. (ie: I want to poke instead of block). You said yourself you don't know what okizeme is, which is a major part of the game. Your offense shows a distinct lack of fundamentals (your poking is just throwing out an attack in hopes that they don't block it, random launchers and such). There is no method to your madness. No purposeful attack patterns or set ups. It's "I want to do this move, so I'm going to do it."

AvoidingThePuddle.com has some beginner/novice videos that might help

Being more aware while you play is a good start. Pay more attention to your positioning (a major reason for all of those earlier whiffs).
Signature [04:25] WayGamble: hey hey hey
[04:25] WayGamble: i dont talk shit to you cuz you dont put yeast in your bread now do i?
[04:25] Icege:
[04:25] TekkenJam: jew
insanelee
tinh yeu
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
thanks icege.

bronson.