Page Splits 1...<171819
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Minty_Pears
Tekken Lord Black
XBL: MntT77
#361 “Quote” Edit Post
Maybe we could start with, say, the three or four matchups that Asuka struggles with the most (which would you say those were?), and play it by ear from there. But Asuka has so many little quirks with her fighting style that I think a matchup bible would really be more beneficial for her than with many other characters.

For instance, with Law's b+2,3,4, most characters would block the first hit and low parry the second, but Asuka can go one better and use d+3+4 to crush it, gaining a CH launch in the process.
Signature "The angels cry each time you say goodbye"

IRON LOBSTER
Sansau
#362 “Quote” Edit Post
actually, any character with an i15 hopkick can crush the low from law's junkyard

as for matchups, asuka's only real bad matchups are lars and bruce, not because of kneebows, but more in that their risks can't be punished well by her and they control opp spacing very well with their (scrubby as fuck) tools, which is very important to asuka - then again they can do this to everyone esle in the game so the matchup isn't specific, scrub lars' in rage dicks me around a hell of a lot more than a good lars

the game doesn't have matchup lock outs - bad hit boxes yes but not real bad matchups - playstyles maybe eg, a good turtle will always beat zafina, a good lars and bob can break down a good turtle

asuka's only real quirk is no 1,2 string, she has a i11 standing 4, i13 df1, i12 df4, i15 df2, generic i12 d4 (tekken 2 tools), she can be played like law with her basic poke game to a certain extent (lots of ch4 fish and df1) - just without the beastly pressure
Signature Changs of Ireland...Twice.
RDM
Navy Sailor
PSN: R_D_M
#363 “Quote” Edit Post
Raven seems like a bad match up from what I've seen. That character keeps me from sidestepping like Lars does

DJ Infinite
Signature Have fear, then it jumps at you like lightning. Dont have fear, then it glances gently, guiding you to Infinity DJ Infinite RDM

off to the Navy: tekken hiatus till the end of bootcamp
(CHI) holli
Legend
#364 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by IRON LOBSTER
actually, any character with an i15 hopkick can crush the low from law's junkyard

as for matchups, asuka's only real bad matchups are lars and bruce, not because of kneebows, but more in that their risks can't be punished well by her and they control opp spacing very well with their (scrubby as fuck) tools, which is very important to asuka - then again they can do this to everyone esle in the game so the matchup isn't specific, scrub lars' in rage dicks me around a hell of a lot more than a good lars

the game doesn't have matchup lock outs - bad hit boxes yes but not real bad matchups - playstyles maybe eg, a good turtle will always beat zafina, a good lars and bob can break down a good turtle

asuka's only real quirk is no 1,2 string, she has a i11 standing 4, i13 df1, i12 df4, i15 df2, generic i12 d4 (tekken 2 tools), she can be played like law with her basic poke game to a certain extent (lots of ch4 fish and df1) - just without the beastly pressure

I thought it was unique with can-can since it's i14, I remember doing testing with generic hopkicks and I don't remember hopkicks beating junkyard. Don't quote me on that though (I would love to see someone jump over a steve b121 into a full b314 BT combo though)

anywho... I believe matchups are more important than you're making it out to be. A lot of top players speak heavily on matchups; even Rain switches his mains per season depending on how well his characters matchup with others'.

matchups can be huge, b3 can be godlike against DVJ, but be absolutely worthless against bruce. tip range 3~4 can be godlike against bryan but terrible against law... I think it's important to know what gets stuffed and what stuffs others. I think information like this are nice 'quirks'

and let's be honest... with 40 characters, we're not gonna know everything about every character. And unless we live in Japan or Korea, then we're not going to have exposure to all these different characters. asuka already has a shitty time against a lot of the cast, i just thought it'd be nice for our little asuka community to help each other out
IRON LOBSTER
Sansau
#365 “Quote” Edit Post
DVJ can DEWGF b3 on block and 3~4 is a bit high risk low reward against any character, can can and db3 are better tools repectively

julia can hopkick law and steve junkyard so i assume all i15 hokpicks will do the same

matchups are an issue in shorter sets (ie in tournaments) definately, adjusting to julia or bruce is much harder than say paul or dragunov but in longer sets its not really a problem as long as you can adapt

we do/did have a vs thread but no one ever seems to post in it
Minty_Pears
Tekken Lord Black
XBL: MntT77
#366 “Quote” Edit Post
When I tried to hopkick b+2,3,4 with anyone else, it didn't seem to work. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong. It's not really a big deal, since it's not a move Law should be using very much (since everyone can just low parry the second kick), but if you're up against a Law who does use it, it's good to know for the lulz.

BTW, I think I might have found a new Rage death combo for Asuka in Fallen Colony (maybe). Here's how it goes:

CH db+4,4,3, uf+3, 2,1,1+2 B! dash b+4,2 F! df+1,2, WR+3

The trick is to delay the WR+3 so that you get a low slump hit. The whole combo does 142 damage, so if you factor in Rage as well, I think that works out to over 180 damage. Naturally, like any other Rage death combo, it's completely impractical.
Signature "The angels cry each time you say goodbye"

IRON LOBSTER
Sansau
#367 “Quote” Edit Post
i am a spastic...

double checked, it's steve's junkyard you can hopkick - i got it confused with law's oops!

but...

ch db4,4,3 isn't a ch launcher with asuka, ch db4,3 is and db4,(4,3) on nh is a launcher
|Galen|
In iWS1 I trust!
PSN: Galen-SDT
XBL: Galen SDT
#368 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm picking up Asuka just do to the 3+4 combo to people. That is all...
Signature In iWS1 I trust!
Battle Jitni- @Galen: (imagine that's a middle finger instead)
Mr. Taxi- "Galen, I don't consider you an Anna player. I have this theory that all Anna players like penis. So until you S a D you aren't an Anna player"
Dilly a couple months after he found out he was expecting- "Galen, Sith, in 9 months I'm challenging you both to diaper matches. Loser buys diapers for the winner. "
irampage7
6th Dan
#369 “Quote” Edit Post
hey guys...I've searched for asuka's punish list but didn't find any...( scanned the threads...or is it me cuz i dont have enough time reading all the posts..)hmm what's asuka's 10f, 12f and so on punishers? thanks based on the combo thread that i read asuka isnt that much of a punisher? correct me if im wrong...for me asuka is kinda poke and counter char..anyways enlighten me with the punishers thanks
Jason4579
Dragon Lord
XBL: Jason4579
#370 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by irampage7
hey guys...I've searched for asuka's punish list but didn't find any...( scanned the threads...or is it me cuz i dont have enough time reading all the posts..)hmm what's asuka's 10f, 12f and so on punishers? thanks based on the combo thread that i read asuka isnt that much of a punisher? correct me if im wrong...for me asuka is kinda poke and counter char..anyways enlighten me with the punishers thanks

Asuka's game pretty much revolves around her F+2 whiff punisher. It's just such a good move, albeit a highly punishable move if blocked. As an asuka player, your main goal is to bait out whiffs and control your opponent through spacing and BDC. Although this is pretty much a goal with any character, it's Asuka's strongest tool by far with harsh punishments for failing, which is why you must be exceptional at it to avoid being heavily punished by your opponent.

Standing punishment

i10 - 1 into mix ups.
i11 - 4 or B+1+4 into mix ups.
i12 - D/F+4 I don't recommend using this. 4 is a better option.
i13 - 2 1 for frame advantage or 2 3 for KD and higher damage
i14 - 3 1

Full launch

i15 - D/F+2
i16 - B+3 into string for juggle
i17 - F+2
i20 - U/F+4

WS punishment

i11 (I think) - WS 4
i14 - WS 2 1
i15 - WS 1 4

Full launch