Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
sph|nx
Virtuoso
PSN: oo-sphinx-oo
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
So I just started Tekken 6 about 2 weeks ago after being fed up with Street Fighter, SO;

I've learnt pretty much Yoshimitsu's command list, I'm in the process of trying to learn how to transition between his stances fluently and trying to achieve some kind of fluid playing style (this is all in practice mode btw).

So how does one go about learning Yoshi? I've been hearing that a lot of his stuff is situational, which is pretty evident from what I've seen that he can do. Thought I'd ask seeing as Yoshi seems that his learning curve might be different from say steve, law, or a mishima.
TEALfoxy
Fierce
PSN: DEVIOUSLYteal
XBL: tealFOXY
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Yoshimitsu is a more advanced character. I don't know a whole lot about him, but I've played him and can do the basics. I'd recommend starting on a simpler character if Yoshi doesn't make much sense right now. Maybe a character like Bob, Alisa, Asuka, or Lili. They're fairly simple and quite fun to play. They lack in the stance positions, (mostly) so you can learn how to use a character overall. When you master that character, try some more and work yourself up since Yoshimitsu isn't made to be simple. My two cents.

Good luck to you though! Make sure you watch videos like "Level Up Your Game"'s series. Just search Level Up Your Game Tekken and you should find their first video. This will give you the basics of everything which you'll have to learn. You'll see that Tekken is based more on movement while other games rely on quick attacks and combos.
Signature {Or you can just call me Hiké... (Hee-kay) I do illustration and graphic design. Icon art is by me.}
{★ Offense: Alisa, Asuka, Kunimitsu}
{★ Versatile: Jaycee/Julia, Leo, Xiaoyu, Jun, Michelle, Miharu}
{★ Defense: Lili}
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by TEALfoxy
I'd recommend starting on a simpler character if Yoshi doesn't make much sense right now. Maybe a character like Bob, Alisa, Asuka, or Lili.

To be honest, no-one else really interests me. Law maybe, and Devil Jin, but I'm pretty much set on Yoshimitsu. So even if he's a more advanced character, I guess I don't mind taking longer to learn, so long as I'm going about it the right way
TEALfoxy
Fierce
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sph|nx
To be honest, no-one else really interests me. Law maybe, and Devil Jin, but I'm pretty much set on Yoshimitsu. So even if he's a more advanced character, I guess I don't mind taking longer to learn, so long as I'm going about it the right way

Again, make sure you learn the basics of movement and stuff first. It's one thing to learn all the moves. It's another to learn how to apply them in battles.
Signature {Or you can just call me Hiké... (Hee-kay) I do illustration and graphic design. Icon art is by me.}
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by TEALfoxy
Again, make sure you learn the basics of movement and stuff first. It's one thing to learn all the moves. It's another to learn how to apply them in battles.

Oh yeah I've been doing that too. Trying to grasp the understanding of sidewalk and sidestep. They are the most foreign concepts to me. Learning how to backdash cancel, stuff like that.
TEALfoxy
Fierce
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Oh yeah I've been doing that too. Trying to grasp the understanding of sidewalk and sidestep. They are the most foreign concepts to me. Learning how to backdash cancel, stuff like that.

I didn't learn those until much later in my Tekken experience. I've been playing since a little kid, but I haven't taken Tekken seriously until a couple years ago.

Back dash is kinda advanced, but I use a substitute for backdashing. I roll from down to back and then tap back immediately after and repeat. It's not as fast, but can be useful if you don't know how to back dash other ways.
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Focus on basics, and in fact... learn NSS only for now.
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by NoodleHead
Focus on basics, and in fact... learn NSS only for now.

Oh really? How come? I know some of his moves change in NSS like df+2 and such, but what should I be trying to do really in NSS?
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
NSS is the best stance to learn the basics of the game. In addition, the fact that Yoshi has a ~80pts juggle launcher that is i8 makes him a scary mofo in that stance. Did I mention that that launcher also can be used as a jab bait?

1+4 f+1+2 b+2,1~KIN f+2

(Any attack that will lure opponent into jabbing you) Duck~ FC d+1+2 f+1+2 B+2,1~KIN f+2.

For the starters, it's better not to have too many stances to distract you. Working your way from NSS will help you a lot.
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by NoodleHead
For the starters, it's better not to have too many stances to distract you. Working your way from NSS will help you a lot.

This may be me just being plain ignorant, but doesn't being in NSS cut Yoshi's options (apart from the threat of the flash launcher he gets) in half? I've watched some match videos of some god Yoshi's and they seem to be in NSS (or atleast the ones that I've watched) about 25 - 30% of the time, and most of the time they did just as you said, baited something out and caught it with the flash launcher (one Yoshi I saw got this guy more than once by doing f3+4 in NSS and then immediately flash).

So I guess my question is how much of and how long should I be training in NSS before transitioning into learning the other ones? (I've actually been learning them already lol) Again, I'm super new so pardon my ignorance on anything. Cheers.
Junon_FD
Iron Fist God
PSN: ForMyNinjas
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
NSS will cut some of yoshis offensive options (since he loses a good portion of his unblockables and 2 stances), but gives him a greater defense via better punishing. I.e. being able to punish with flash which gives juggle (as discussed by noodlehead), 2,1 which is a 10f wallspat which pretty meaty damage, basic 1,2,1 which tracks a bit and is NC (though chip damage). And he also gets a followup attack to swordsweep (fc df1, 2) which also hits grounded. Also, kin1 becomes useful as it's a safe attack that hits grounded, forces crouch on block and on hit will put opp FDHT. My main priority when using NSS is to set up flash baits, as you gain a number of them while in NSS due to having the FC Flash option.

I'd say use it till you become comfortable with yoshis movement, basic command list and punishing. NSS is a good stance because many people rarely even see yoshi without the sword, and it kind of mindfucks them.

Yoshis stances are very situational, here's a link that may help get an understanding of how I personally use them: http://www.manjikai.com/community/blogs/junon/

Don't forget to heal as often as possible
Signature ForMyNinjas = Stance masher; flash master.

Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become. -- Anonymous.
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Junon_FD
I'd say use it till you become comfortable with yoshis movement, basic command list and punishing. NSS is a good stance because many people rarely even see yoshi without the sword, and it kind of mindfucks them.

Yoshis stances are very situational, here's a link that may help get an understanding of how I personally use them: http://www.manjikai.com/community/blogs/junon/

Don't forget to heal as often as possible

Such an informative, well written article, man (I'm an english / philosophy major so i know =P). What I gathered from your article was (which to me seems to make a lot of sense) is this:

-Being in NSS would make your opponent kind of uncertain, especially to instill fear of the flash
- NSS allows you good punishes (I had no idea there are 5 different versions of flash, and the 10f 2,1 wall splat is pretty awesome)
- HAVING better options to go to in NSS allows Yoshi to start up his good Oki game, which you mentioned you think is Yoshi's strongest attribute.

The information about MED and BT was great too, although there wasn't too much on FLEA (apart from the info on the great hitbox on the BT version) and DGF stances, but I'm already starting to learn appropriate situations to be in those stances (my personal favourite is FLEA because it transitions to both MED and DGF =D)

Yoshi kind of reminds me of the Joker lol, Chaotic Intelligence.
Junon_FD
Iron Fist God
PSN: ForMyNinjas
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Thank you I started that a few months ago, and got lazy once I got to play TTT2. Once that drops, I'll be doing another article in a similar fashion, with more detail.

One hint I can give for flea which can net free damage: Use Flea d to conceal moves. You can use flea d~ 3+4 to conceal a roo kick -- the bounce makes it appear you're going for flea 2 to bait the opponent to duck, netting a meaty launcher. You can visually confirm the opponents action to get free damage in most cases.

Yoshis oki suffers a bit in NSS since you lose the UB traps, but you also gain a reset which is very usefull. Good luck though, starting with yoshi is very tough but it will make you a better player in the long run. Focus on the basics before you venture into the fancy stuff -- without solid basics, using yoshi is a VERY frustrating task.
Signature ForMyNinjas = Stance masher; flash master.

Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become. -- Anonymous.
sph|nx
Virtuoso
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Junon_FD
Focus on the basics before you venture into the fancy stuff -- without solid basics, using yoshi is a VERY frustrating task.

To be honest, I'm still not totally sure what the basics are and how I know I've got a grasp on them. At the moment I'm practicing a lot of movement in general, trying to figure out what Yoshi's good pokes are (off the top of my head df1 and df4 come to mind) but at the same time, I don't feel like Yoshi is a poke or 'footsies' (I come from SF, it's all I know lol) orientated character, or perhaps not as much as other characters might be.

I'm taking the time to learn NSS at the moment, but I feel like I'm never going to learn enough if I don't go and play some matches. Off to the arcade for the first time playing Tekken this Friday
tyrax
Expert
PSN: RealTyraxTK
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
I have a couple days playing with yoshi too. I'll add you on my psn account so we can learn on each other fighting some matches
Signature You ask me if I have a god complex? Let me tell you something... I AM GOD.
[Ogre] [AncientOgre] : Main
: Secondary team
Aozame32
Expert
PSN: Aozame32
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
To be honest, I'm still not totally sure what the basics are and how I know I've got a grasp on them. At the moment I'm practicing a lot of movement in general, trying to figure out what Yoshi's good pokes are (off the top of my head df1 and df4 come to mind) but at the same time, I don't feel like Yoshi is a poke or 'footsies' (I come from SF, it's all I know lol) orientated character, or perhaps not as much as other characters might be.

I'm taking the time to learn NSS at the moment, but I feel like I'm never going to learn enough if I don't go and play some matches. Off to the arcade for the first time playing Tekken this Friday

You sound like my soulmate! XD But seriously, I feel like I'm in the exact same boat, dude. I've been trying over and over to get better with basic movement. I'm trying to get backdash cancelling down, and all I end up doing is backflips. But I can feel myself getting a little better every day, and whenever I find a few moves I want to try implementing, I always practice in some online matches to see if I can actually get them to work.

And, funny you should mention that, but I had also gone to an arcade this last Friday for the first time in, like, forever. It was a blast, but anyway, I'm totally up for some online sparring if you're interested! I'm Aozame32 on the PSN.
Signature I try.