Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
king_ruckus
Enter the Ruckus
PSN: king_ruckus
XBL: king ruckus
#21 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by kuni_hwoarang
Between defending Mass Effect 3's ending and waging war against anti-HG folks on several other websites (as well as discussing it a bit on facebook), I have worked myself into being an extremely over-reactive cranky-pants. Sorry, guys.

LOL, no apologies needed . It's very sad that people are against Hunger Games because they like another film instead. It's just as pointless as "Screw (this), I only play (that)!".

Mass Effect 3's ending can't be that bad. I wish I had picked that game up instead of SFxT.
Signature You two are on some grade school bullshit. Just put an end to it already.
WeaponX
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: X_Copies
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
That's fine. Those anti-HG folks are trolls who are trying to let those who haven't seen BR missed out watching such an incredible movie for the past 12 years.

I forgot one more similarity. Whenever someone dies, they announce their death first/last name and their number.
JMS
~.~.
PSN: JMS_
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
to add: i never saw br, and i didnt read the book for this movie--you shouldnt have to know the full story from reading the book to appreciate the movie.

thought the following were weak:

- story
- character development
- fights
- cinematography

i hear the book was pretty good, but i dont read books. maybe it was the adaptation.

i wouldnt watch it again for free.
SSJ4_Vegita
Party in my pants
PSN: VeggyUK
XBL: VeggyUK
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by king_ruckus
LOL, no apologies needed . It's very sad that people are against Hunger Games because they like another film instead. It's just as pointless as "Screw (this), I only play (that)!".

Mass Effect 3's ending can't be that bad. I wish I had picked that game up instead of SFxT.

ME3 is an amazing game, just like the previous ones

Until they release the ending DLC in April which is supposed to clarify the ending, the ending for most people will be utter garbage, full of plotholes, doesn't clarify anything and makes little to no sense (among other things) unless it's the "theory" a lot of people are hoping for
Signature If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button.
WeaponX
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: X_Copies
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by JMS
to add: i never saw br, and i didnt read the book for this movie--you shouldnt have to know the full story from reading the book to appreciate the movie.

- story
- character development
- fights
- cinematography

i hear the book was pretty good, but i dont read books. maybe it was the adaptation.

I'm going to give credit to HG for their performance and picture. Their acting is pretty good. All I know is that these teen know how to act compared to the teens in twilight. I like how that portray the future's technology. Also beautiful landscapes and try to make the people in the capitol very materialistic like the people already becoming in our today's metropolitan cities.
Jordyce
Hope Springs Eternal
PSN: Jordyce
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Between defending Mass Effect 3's ending and waging war against anti-HG folks on several other websites (as well as discussing it a bit on facebook), I have worked myself into being an extremely over-reactive cranky-pants. Sorry, guys.

Mass Effect 3's ending is perfectly fine. I never understood why people had to have a game end completely on their terms, or that making a decision (or in RPG Maker terms, Switch A or Switch B) was a particularly big deal, it's all scripted forks anyway. Would be interesting to see how those sort of people reacted to inFamous 2's endings.

Cheap movie night tonight, on the fence about whether to read The Hunger Games first or not.
Signature www.twitter.com/jordyce [you know what to do]
kuni_hwoarang
Masks are hot.
PSN: kunibob
XBL: kunibob
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by JMS

- story
- character development
- fights
- cinematography

Katniss' character arc in the book: cold, uses people to her own gain -> somewhat less cold and manipulative. In the movie, she's the same pretty much throughout. While I understand why they did it (to make her character actually likeable), it does obliterate what little character development was there.

I can't say if the fights were good or not because of the damned shaky-cam.

Originally posted by Jordyce
Cheap movie night tonight, on the fence about whether to read The Hunger Games first or not.

It's an extremely quick read. My husband got through it in a day, and he's a self-professed "slow reader."
Signature ^^^^^^^
This post is 99% likely to be sarcastic.
tekken6bryanfur
Iron Fist God
XBL: JSmith007
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
Just came back from the movie, and really enjoyed it (in spite of overuse of shaky cam). They fixed some of the cheesier stuff from the books, like the muttations, and softened Katniss into a much more likeable (but still badass) character, as well as spliced in some stuff from the second book to foreshadow things a bit. The acting was solid all around -- not a weak link in the cast -- and the sound direction was fantastic. Teen romance angle was played up a wee bit, but not to Twilight-barfy-levels (and the acting was so far superior to Twilight that the two aren't even close to the same category.) Solid 9/10 movie, imho.

my fav was the fire costume the burning coal costume would be cool to see too

and the hungergames series was a pure rip off of japans battle royale, both pretty much same story, a female and some male characters, and lots of close ups of detailed gory maulings, total rip off just like how hollywood ripped off the Informant and how Dark City ripped off the Matrix

Last edited by tekken6bryanfur on Apr 1st, 2012 at 09:32

SSJ4_Vegita
Party in my pants
PSN: VeggyUK
XBL: VeggyUK
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Jordyce
Mass Effect 3's ending is perfectly fine. I never understood why people had to have a game end completely on their terms, or that making a decision (or in RPG Maker terms, Switch A or Switch B) was a particularly big deal, it's all scripted forks anyway. Would be interesting to see how those sort of people reacted to inFamous 2's endings.

ME3 ending is only fine if it turns out to be the theory most people are hoping for

If it's not, it doesn't clarify anything and leaves a lot of plotholes

I think what made people angrier about the ending is all the PR before the games release regarding the ending, such as

No A, B, C type ending (that's exactly what we got)

Decisions made in previous games had a huge bearing on the ending, such as the rachni queen and collector base for example (it didn't)

Everything will be explained and we won't be left with a bunch of unanswered questions (lol)

A bunch of other stuff I can't remember

Just to stay on topic, I heard Hunger Games is this generations Battle Royale!
Signature If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button.
tekken6bryanfur
Iron Fist God
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SSJ4_Vegita
ME3 ending is only fine if it turns out to be the theory most people are hoping for
no one hopes for that, all that work to get a big army and it was all pointless and all choices are the same you have no choice

just saw wrath of the titans(the first one was realy sucky) way better than immortals when the bad guys are tribesmen packed inside a wooden cage. this time the titans are real monsters. chronos is 10x bigger than godzilla and is constantly exploding lava everywhere and theres army of about 200 spartans who are all fighting against it. rolleyes. but what better boss to fight against gods. ok movie 2/4
21 jumpstreet. decent comedy. 4/4
john carter. reeeaally stupid story. theres these godlike bald guys who visit all sorts of planets but they also like to hang out in a cave on earth in the yr 1850 and there are spider drawings in that cave. okay. the mars princess is mega turbo hot she has these abs. 2/4
act of valor. suck and bad acting. 1/4
next movie to see is avengers, 50/50 chance of it being awful have my fingers crossed that it will be god
Lovely Ly
Tekken God
PSN: EVIL_SCRUB
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
I was not disappointed by the movie. I read the books a while ago and thought they were well-written so when going to watch the movie I departed from the idea that it would probably not be too good (as it always turns out), but I was pleasantly surprised.
Signature I don't need to learn how to play. I have Z-Alisa
Kazu-Yoshi-girl
a.k.a Tenshimitsu
PSN: Tenshimitsu
#32 “Quote” Edit Post
The movie wasn't horrible and I'm glad about it

... and that shaky camera, arghhhh! I seriously hate it. Had to close my eyes at times not to get squint.
Signature http://www.ManjiKai.com - Shiki soku ze kuu!
吉光と天使光:一心同体
chickenfeeds
need for speed
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
it was lol
Signature "who dares challenge me!"
TheDinosaur
Hurm
XBL: Archelon
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
it was ok. was more annoyed by all the giant logic holes than by how slow it was. also everyone was extremely two dimensional and easily divided into good guys and bad guys.
Signature Say NO to shoulder buttons!

Bloody Elbow: The MMA website I write for. It is the best MMA website.
Spinal Villain
Sodom Eyes
PSN: beastcrafttnbm
XBL: Beastcraft TNBM
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
My fave movie reviewer does his take.....

How is it that author Suzanne Collins has no lawsuits pending against her for totally plagiarizing Battle Royale with her The Hunger Games?

She claims to have never heard of Battle Royale, the Japanese novel about kids pitted against each other in a death match that was made into a controversial and great movie back in 2000. That said, the similarities to her novel are undeniable, and the film adaptation of her book plays like nothing but a watered-down version of Battle Royale.

Now, with such a shocking premiseóin a futuristic society, children are tasked with killing each other off in a televised competitionóone would hope The Hunger Games could at least be something worth taking in, even if its idea is not original.

Itís not a good movie. Itís not even close.

Lionsgate has put their potentially enormous franchise in the directorial hands of Gary Ross, the man who directed Seabiscuit. This film is about a futuristic world calling for an original filmmaking eye with a knack for sci-fi, and they go with the Seabiscuit guy? On top of that, according to some sources, they only give Ross an estimated $78 million to make this epic. That was a lot of money 25 years ago, but itís chump change in todayís cinematic blockbuster world.

The results are a film that, visually, lacks imagination. The first half of the movie is irritating to look at. Stars like Elizabeth Banks, Stanley Tucci, Woody Harrelson and Toby Jones don silly wigs, pounds of makeup and prosthetic teeth that make them look like clowns. Everything else around them is drab and unimaginative, so they just stand out and look goofy. Goofy can be OK, but in this story, itís discordant.

Cast in the role of Katniss Everdeen, a supposedly starving teen who survives on squirrel meat courtesy of her bow and arrow, is the pleasantly robust Jennifer Lawrence. Sheís a great actress, but sheís physically wrong for this role. She looks like a very healthy woman in her 20s who eats nutritious snacks every two hours with three squares a day and a consistent workout regimen. She does not look like sheís starving. Nevertheless, she does bring emotional and intellectual depth to the role, so I suppose they couldíve done a lot worse.

I did like Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, chosen with Katniss to represent their district in the competition, called the Hunger Games. Heís maturing into a fine actor.

The games themselves are full of malevolent teens that we get to know absolutely nothing about. Theyíre just trying to kill each other, and thatís about it. None of the young actors besides Lawrence and Hutcherson really do anything to distinguish themselves.

Ross employs a terrible shaky cam for his action scenes. This is presumably to preserve the PG-13 and mask the violence. Itís also probably because he canít shoot a combat scene worth dick. The man has a good eye for horseracing, but seems totally clueless with sci-fi action.

Of the adult actors, only Harrelson does anything worth watching, transcending the hilarity of his getup. Tucci, as one of the hosts of the Hunger Games, never gets beyond how stupid his teeth, hair and clothing look. Banks, who plays sort of the mother of the Hunger Games, looks equally ridiculous, and is saddled with a strange, Julia Child accent. Donald Sutherland, as the president, just looks sullen while Wes Bentley Ö well Ö who really cares about Wes Bentley?

The film failed to pull me into its world. The Hunger Games comes off as something Lionsgate didnít have enough confidence in, with Ross trying to shoot a two and a half hour, grand-scale epic with the budget for a 90-minute, moderately priced movie. It looks cheap.

Battle Royale just came out on video in the U.S. for the first time. Itís a far more effective entertainment option if you are looking for a film about futuristic kids battling to the death.

For the inevitable sequels, trade out the director and makeup personnel, and throw some more money at the movies. Donít worry, Lionsgate, youíll make the money back.
Clobbersaurus
is *~*~SPECIAL!*~*<3
#36 “Quote” Edit Post

and BLESS your nerdy heart for holding up fort on so many fronts. i'm far too much of a lazy bitch these days. I was like "oh bother. *links to article* I'm going to bed" after a couple of FB discussions

HEY GUYZ WHAT DO DEY CALL HUNGARR GAEMS IN DA FRANCES?!?!

BATTUL ROYALE WITH CHEEZES LULULULUULZ

/facepalm

It's a sub-genre, with many explorations on the theme. Some better than others. Some gorier that others. Get over it people.

With that said: I was disappointed with the movie. My greatest fears concerning the PG-13 rating all came true, and something that could have been utterly wonderful and justly horrifying was turned into a hasty movie with shaky cameras and droll cinematography. It was fun to see with friends and fans of the books, but that's pretty much it.

The casting was excellent, however. No doubt about that. The individual performances were nuanced well, which was a pleasure to see. Costumes were alright, but I assume that everyone who had read the books were expecting more.

I wonder how the film would have done as an R rated film?
Signature I don't have a lot of concrete skills (as a painter). Instead of painting the flower, I paint what the flower is thinking. -- Silvester Stallone, Cigar Aficionado magazine
tekken6bryanfur
Iron Fist God
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Clobbersaurus I wonder how the film would have done as an R rated film?

"The Hunger Games" Crosses $300 Million
I think it would have hurt the sales if it were R rated, that would have been millions of potential dollars.
They haven't even started on the sequel movie. If you could buy stock then bet on that movie making hordes of cash. The movie had a budget of $72 million which is meager in todays standards, the upcoming Avengers movie reportedly spent $220 million. The book already had a cult for guaranteed success, the next movie they better fire the directed and caster, then pump some megamillions into the production.
Hunger Games was a readable book, but it lost alot in transition to the screen. The director/writers corrected and improved a few parts of the novel, like after Katniss shot the arrow at the apple and in the book they were casual about repercussion in the book, but the movie they made a scene out of it, also shown were Peeta having full conversation with host, the book just said they had a funny chat. Alot of gamemaster and Mr. Snow onscreen dialog were not in the book. There were no riots after Rue died in book. (clove getting neck broken instead of rock smash, getting mockingjay pin from former victor, large portion of book dedicated to food and starvation omitted) Everything they left out of the book could be said to help reduce the play time of the movie, there are numerous events that were neglected because trivial or they were just parts that couldn't be translated because they were first person thoughts of the character in the book (katniss explaining how she sang to Rue and flowered het to 10 so he spared her but in movie he just runs off). Overall the movie was okay and watchable. I think the editors could have spliced the clips better, much of the movie was kind of boring and they could have make it more visually appealing and built more character depth still while playing out of the plot. I didn't like the main girl cast to play Katniss, she is not very attractive and should have starved herself to fit to fit the role. She seemed too healthy, clean, and soft. Just downloaded American Reunion and that movie F'in sucks. Downloaded GhostRider 3 too but couldn't finish that either.