Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Castel
Sensei Zaibatsu
PSN: Castel
XBL: Castel 360
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Creating table data such as move lists in Wiki can be a bit daunting even when using the WYSIWYG tool bar, so I figured I'd provide a walkthrough on how to get this done on a time efficient matter. Some aspects of this will be helpful for any kind of tabular data you are looking to add but the example is specific to a character move list.

Feel free to use our Tekken 6 move lists as a starting point, as a matter of fact I would recommend you do to save yourself a ton of time (I know from experience) and to maintain some kind of uniform format on the wiki.

Step 1: Create your skeleton

Enter the edit interface of the blank page and set up the basic structure of the move list, at the very least you will need the following for every character. Some of course have more move groups.

Code:

{{TTT2 Character Select}}
{| 
align="right"
__TOC__
|}

==
Move List Notes==

Any special info for the characters moveliststatuswhat needs to be doneetc...

<
div style="clear:both"></div>

==
Grappling Arts==

==
Basic Arts==

==
Special Arts==

==
Unblockable Arts==

==
String Hit Arts==

The first snippet adds the character select template and moves the table of content to the right while being wrapped instead of pushing everything down below. Make sure you add the <div style="clear:both"></div> line after the first section so the first group header stays attached close to the table.

Go ahead and save the page and should have your basic skeleton set up to work from. Saving the page at this point also creates [edit] links for each section so you can edit them easier without having to deal with the entire page.

Step 2: Converting HTML to wiki synthax

I found that this converter tool does a great job, perhaps you can find others as well or maybe even a desktop application. Feel free to comment below.

First we'll grab some HTML source code from the Tekken 6 move lists, one section at a time. You'll want to copy from the opening table tag to the closing table tag and paste it into the converter. For the sake of the example I will shorten the amount of actual rows here but you should get the idea.

Code:

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" class="medium">
<
tr class="subheader"
              <
td width="24%">Command</td>
              <
td width="27%">Move Name</td>
              <
td width="7%">Stance</td>
              <
td width="15%"Damage</td>
              <
td width="10%">Hit Range</td>

<
td width="17%">Properties</td>
            </
tr>
<
tr>
                <
td colspan="6" class="thirdalt" align="center">Moves starting from Kenpo Step only KNP b+3+4</td>
              </
tr>
<
tr class="secondalt"
                <
td>~<sup>New </sup></td>
                <
td>Shifting&nbsp;Clouds</td>

<
td>STC</td>
                <
td>-</td>
                <
td>-</td>
                <
td>#1</td>

</tr>
<
tr class="secondalt"
                <
td><sup>New </sup></td>
                <
td>Leaping&nbsp;Lion</td>
                <
td>RC</td>

<
td>32</td>
                <
td>m</td>
                <
td>GB SLD</td>
             </
tr>
<
tr class="firstalt"
                <
td>&nbsp;=&nbsp;3+<sup>New </sup></td>
                <
td>&nbsp;=&nbsp;Rising&nbsp;Lion</td>

<
td></td>
                <
td>24</td>
                <
td>m</td>
                <
td>KND</td>
             </
tr>
</
table>

I leave all the options at default, but you can experiment with the 'one-line position' option and see which format you prefer to update the table later. The vertical cell listing takes up more real estate but I find it easier to 'read'. Hit the 'Convert' button and you will get something like this.

Code:

{|  width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" class="medium"  class="subheader"
|  width="24%" Command
|  width="27%" Move Name
|  width="7%" Stance
|  width="15%" Damage
|  width="10%" Hit Range
|  width="17%" Properties
|- 
|  
colspan="6" class="thirdalt" align="center" Moves starting from Kenpo Step only KNP b+3+4
|-  class="secondalt"
| ~<sup>New </sup>
Shifting&nbsp;Clouds
STC
| -
| -
|-  class="secondalt"
<sup>New </sup>
Leaping&nbsp;Lion
RC
m
GB SLD
|-  class="firstalt"
| &nbsp;=&nbsp;3+<sup>New </sup>
| &
nbsp;=&nbsp;Rising&nbsp;Lion

m
KND
|}

Notice how any white spaces are converted to & nbsp;, this really isn't needed for spaces between words but required to create the proper spacing on branched moves using =. One of the main reason I like this converter, if you use a different one make sure it does not just ignore white space!

Now copy and paste this into a text editor that has a 'search and replace' functionality, I use EditPad Lite, but there are plenty of free choices out there.

Step 3: Code clean up and formatting

We'll now clean up this code a bit from markup it does not need and add some basic formatting to it. You'll want to search and replace (with nothing) the following instances.

• class="secondalt"
  • class="firstalt"
  • <sup>New </sup> (you'll need to add these again later to new moves when you insert them)
  • class="thirdalt" (only appears in table with extra notes, usually stance tables)

On to a bit of formatting to make things look clean and presentable

• You'll want to get rid of the table properties (might vary on the table), aside from the width you want to get rid of everything and define a new class. In the above example replace cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" class="medium" class="subheader" with just class="tabular". Avoid using any sort of color markup, if you set a table border to black for example they would not show up in future themes with a dark background. I have created the 'tabular' CSS class specifically for wiki tabular data table use, not just for move lists.
  • Replace the | for the first row with !, this makes the row a header row with bold entries.

You should now have something along these lines

Code:

{|  width="100%" class="tabular"
!  width="24%" Command
!  width="27%" Move Name
!  width="7%" Stance
!  width="15%" Damage
!  width="10%" Hit Range
!  width="17%" Properties
|- 
|  
colspan="6" align="center" Moves starting from Kenpo Step only KNP b+3+4
|- 
| ~

Shifting&nbsp;Clouds
STC
| -
| -
|- 

Leaping&nbsp;Lion
RC
m
GB SLD
|- 
| &
nbsp;=&nbsp;3+
| &nbsp;=&nbsp;Rising&nbsp;Lion

m
KND
|}

On the wiki page click the proper move group [edit] and paste in the cleaned up wiki code. Do not click save just yet... one final step to wrap things up.

Step 4: Finalizing things

If you are dealing with a table that has an extra info row (stance table), highlight the note and make it italic or you can do this before pasting the data by wrapping the note with ''.

Code:

|- 
|  
colspan="6" align="center" Moves starting from Kenpo Step only KNP b+3+4
|-

becomes
Code:

|- 
|  
colspan="6" align="center" ''Moves starting from Kenpo Step only KNP b+3+4''
|-

If the table has footnotes you will need to add these as well. You can either copy and paste these from the site or directly from the source code and save you the trouble of having to add the line breaks after pasting it into the wiki editor.

Code:

#1 Auto parry high & mid strings<br />
#2 Move can only be done when the opponent is grounded<br />

There is a small hickup here because the wiki converts this to an 'ordered list' in HTML. So you want to mark up each line as small text to rectify that, something I woudl normally do anyway just for aesthetics. Just highlight each line and use the wiki WYSIWYG to reduce the font size, which results in the following code.

Code:

<small>#1 Auto parry high & mid strings</small><br />
<small>#2 Move can only be done when the opponent is grounded</small><br />

There you have it, wiki tables made easy. Rinse and repeat for all move groups and you get something like this.

Final thoughts and notes

With your base move list in place you could now locate the 'clean' HTML in the source code of the wiki page, and paste it into your favorite HTML editor (DreamWeaver, Expression Web, etc...) for easy editing, inserting row, deleting, etc... Once done simple run the HTML through the converter again and paste into the wiki. That will propably be a whole lot more convenient than doing edits by hand directly into the wiki WYSIWYG.

For more information on wiki markup, check the WikiMedia Editing Help.

Last edited by Castel on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 18:57

Signature The original Sensei Zaibatsu
Castel
Sensei Zaibatsu
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
When inserting new moves, try and follow the current ordering logic. It essentially is a numerical order starting with 1 and a clockwise directional sub-ordering starting with f.

Start with '1' strings (1,1,2 comes before 1,2,3, etc...), moving on to 1+2 moves and string, then 1+3 and so on. Repeat for 2, 3 and 4 moves/strings.

Within this 1,2,3,4 ordering start with moves that require no directional input, moving on to f starting moves and going clockwise from there (f, d/f, d, etc...). Finishing up with circular moves, WS and FC.
DEATH&#63722;
A Non-Bender
PSN: dropkick_br
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Castel
When inserting new moves, try and follow the current ordering logic. It essentially is a numerical order starting with 1 and a clockwise directional sub-ordering starting with f.

Start with '1' strings (1,1,2 comes before 1,2,3, etc...), moving on to 1+2 moves and string, then 1+3 and so on. Repeat for 2, 3 and 4 moves/strings.

Within this 1,2,3,4 ordering start with moves that require no directional input, moving on to f starting moves and going clockwise from there (f, d/f, d, etc...). Finishing up with circular moves, WS and FC.

Ummm... can I politely beg to differ? It seems for me that everything looked so messy that way... It's like the list comes from neutral then forward then dash then WS and FC and back and skip... Not only it looks messy, it also looks intimidating, not even considering the length of the movelists...

I prefer to have the order as same as the movelist on consoles/Namco's official movelists, where it's direction first starting at neutral then rotating CW starting at the right, then dashes, crouchdashes, sways sidestep etc... then the buttons... IMO it will look tidier and organized... but then again... It's your call...
Signature : Steve, you will not go and hang out to those joke characters Paul and Law anymore.
: Mom! Since I joined this tourney I didn't have a chance to have friends!
: I'm telling you. Don't hang out with them anymore and that's FINAL!
*Steve looks sad*
: Steve, Look at your auntie, she's a joke. Do you want to be like her?
noodalls
PSN: noodalls
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
http://excel2wiki.net/wikipedia.php

I've used this to convert excel files I have into the wikipedia database, it seems to do a good job with just a little adjustment for column width.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/...unov_Frame_Data

This is what I've managed to port across.
Castel
Sensei Zaibatsu
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Please use proper linking when creating new pages (strategy systems pages), all TTT2 pages should start with 'Tekken Tag Tournament 2' and system pages with 'Tekken Tag Tournament 2/System/'.

I am in the process of moving the page but please keep that in mind when adding new content.

For example:

* [[Walking, Crouching and Blocking]]

should be

* [[Tekken Tag Tournament 2/System/Walking Crouching and Blocking|Walking, Crouching and Blocking]]

It's a matter of keeping things organized but also when the next games comes around common file names will be taken already.
DEATH&#63722;
A Non-Bender
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
How can you do it all so fast???? Wow...
Signature : Steve, you will not go and hang out to those joke characters Paul and Law anymore.
*Steve looks sad*
DEATH&#63722;
A Non-Bender
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Guys, I'm working on the movelist right now, and I made some changes that might be different to Castel's specs. Keep in mind that I made the changes with reasons in mind.

Old movelist format : http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekke...ist.php?id=king

Revised one: http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/wiki/.../King_Move_List

1. Made a little margin for the tables. They are more neater looking with it...

2. Added necessary legend on the movelist notes, along with a link for TZ Glossary page for easier navigation. Still work in progress.

3. On the previous movelist format, every multi throw strings are put on 1 table. The problem is it makes it hard to look how the multis branch out. Also, it makes it intimidating to look at. With this, I split up the multi strings in their own table (treating it like a "stance"). Makes it easier to look at and study.

4. Because of the " = " sign for follow-ups on attack strings, it makes it hard to distinguish which is NC or not (especially on jab strings that have different followups). So, I deleted the = sign altogether to indicate followups and just wrote the whole string instead.

5. Also, I added on the properties section some more important properties that wasn't included in the previous movelist, like crushes, homing, taggable and others. Attack strings that end up in a throw, I wrote them as "t" in the hitrange, while adding a footnote to them on what kind of throw is it.

6. I changed the order of moves from the button first to directions first (just like in tekken-official's movelists).

Old order:
1, 1, d+1
1, 2, 1
df+1
WS 1
FC 1

New Order
1, 1, d+1
1, 2, 1
2, 1
WS 1, 2
WS 2
WS 1+2

Not only it's easier to navigate, it makes it easier to look at what options you have on a specific status, Like on FC, crouchdash etc.

Please reply if you got any feedback, whether good or not, about the changes. I'm still working on it and feedback will be appreciated before I try to put it on every character. I want to create a format that can be as applicable to all characters, with easy code structure to put info at, and having the most important info as possible while not making the whole page intimidating to read and look up for info.

EDIT: Thanks Castel for the modship!!!
*Steve looks sad*