Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Regionals?

Page Splits <12
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >

Poll Results

If Namco did for TTT2 regionals would you go?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes definitely
37 92.50%
No, corporate regionals are outdated
1 2.50%
Maybe with the right motivation
2 5.00%
40 Votes 100%
MarkMan
SDTEKKEN.COM
PSN: MarkManSDT
XBL: MarkManSDT
#21 “Quote” Edit Post
The only thing I want to make sure is... Our community doesn't shoot itself in the foot and stop building a new community. I know it's hard and I know that everyone has their own things to do. There's frustration but real talk, our community is spoiled now.. more than ever. Back in the day all we had was a PS1/PS2 and the internet. Let's make it big again.
Vick
Iron Fist God
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
Texas would definitely roll deep and support, you already know. much appreciation to Wayne and MarkMan for getting the ball rolling
KoDee
Champion
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
Sounds delicious. Give it to me.
Signature Same KoDee... less Viet.
Jody Tha Great
Iron Fist God
PSN: JTG777
XBL: JodyThaGreat777
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
We did get spoiled from the MLG event IMO but yeah Markman is right we need to get our community back together otherwise everyone is giving up namco for capcom.

We need to hype our community again.

KIDD
Signature Facebook: Jody Jodythagreat Woods
Follow me @JodyThaGreat on twitter
UFGT7 champion, M.O.K. MK9 champion
STL Aftermath
MarkMan
SDTEKKEN.COM
PSN: MarkManSDT
XBL: MarkManSDT
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm always fighting. I'll let our community know how it goes.
Jody Tha Great
Iron Fist God
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Same here too bro. Team tekken 4 Life
STL Aftermath
Icege
iku iku ikuuu
PSN: Icege-_-
XBL: Ic3ge
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
The current release structure for Tekken (arcade release... SURPRISE NO CONSOLE RELEASE A YEAR AND A HALF LATER! NEW UPDATE! WAIT AGAIN! MUAHAHAHA!) hurts the scene more than anything else. It's hard to stay hype for a game when you get to watch a bunch of other players break it down for almost 2 years only to be told, "Cool. Now catch up!" T.T

Were there regionals for T6 nats? I don't recall their ever being anything of the sort.

*Googles* Oh wait, they were online. No thank you. No thank you at all.

Nothing online or exclusively on one side of the country please.
Signature [04:25] WayGamble: hey hey hey
[04:25] WayGamble: i dont talk shit to you cuz you dont put yeast in your bread now do i?
[04:25] Icege:
[04:25] TekkenJam: jew
TheDinosaur
Hurm
XBL: Archelon
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
I remember watching the US 5.0 nationals. they were awesome. everyone had their cards and ranks which they'd gotten from their arcade scenes. everyone had their own strats in the pre-youtube era.
Signature Say NO to shoulder buttons!

Bloody Elbow: The MMA website I write for. It is the best MMA website.
Jody Tha Great
Iron Fist God
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
Data cards were hella fun back then. Demoting people was hilarious. So much tearing back in the day. I wish the arcades didn't die in STL.

KIDD
STL Aftermath
Rip
Level Up Your Game
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by TheDinosaur
I remember watching the US 5.0 nationals. they were awesome. everyone had their cards and ranks which they'd gotten from their arcade scenes. everyone had their own strats in the pre-youtube era.

Regionals/Nationals being very soon after the games release is what made them really exciting and drew a lot of people into the game. Pretty sure with Tekken 5 that locals were announced pretty much at launch, to win guaranteed spots for Regionals which were 3 months after the initial release. That meant that everyone was training in those 3 months to try and be the best in that short amount of time. MK9 and PDP were a little crazy with their 1 month after release 20k tournament but it brought in that same kind of hype, except you had to pay your way to travel to Vegas to compete (no local/regional qualifiers) so it wasn't nearly as effective imo.

Another point thats been brought up that we have to remember is that Tekken 6 did not have the traditional regional/national tournament because it did not have an official USA arcade release. It wasn't until console release and the ANNOUNCEMENT of the national online tournament that placers at previous events were told they had qualified for the nationals.

If TTT2 Unlimited gets its USA arcade release and places around the country actually get it, there may actually be an opportunity for an old-school nationals to happen again. So yeah, hope that can happen, although its going to be dependant on how many places actually get it if it has its arcade release.

This also reminds of the current SC5 World tourney as well.. not a lot of info, all of a sudden placers from MLG and NCR will be qualified for the world tourney etc.. all too last minute with no concrete info to get people WANTING to play beforehand. Imagine if the world tourney was announced at launch.. with qualifiers/regionals setup beforehand leading to the world finals etc. imo, the game AND the world finals event would have had so much more hype behind it.

long wall of text - summary - you got this Mark and thx for starting the discussion Wayne
Signature DSS~ WHAAAAAA!!! Too buff, too swoll. Phoenix too strong.
JUUUUUUUUNKKKKYAAAAAAAARDDD!!!
levelupyourgame.com | LEVEL UP YOUR GAME | Tekken - Throw Break Trainer - by Rip | LUYG APP for iPhone & for Android
Zero the Shadow
I <3 Australia, mate
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MarkMan
I'm always fighting. I'll let our community know how it goes.

What we really need Mark is for Tekken to get on the major weekly stream and stay there. We can't make that happen, someone will pull needs to make that happen. They did AGAIN with SFxT. Soul Calibur 5 comes out, it gets one week at WNF then you never see it again, KOF13 comes out it gets one week at WNF you never see it again, Marvel 3 comes out you see it every single week, SFxT comes out, you see it every single week. If that isn't that kind of biased bullcrap that's holding Tekken back I dunno what is. How is the community suppose to grow for any games when the main streams refuse to give it a chance?

Tekken Tag 2 is the only fighting game currently due out this holiday season. The ONLY one. If it can not blow up this time the Tekken scene will never blow up. It has no competition so please for the love of god, Mark, Rich, anyone over there in SoCal, make it happen, get Tekken on ever week like the other games. Please, the more eyes on the game the more people begin to understand and appreciate it.

Also someone out there teach Chen or David how to play the game because if you get one of them on the stream talking about it and supporting it believe me the stream monsters will follow. If there is one thing that is true about stream monsters, they love David and James and will listen to anything and everything they say.

All of this combined with a fantastic National should finally allow Tekken to get the recognition it deserves. I would do something if I could all the way out here but I can't. I'm counting on you guys.
Signature Frankie I'll always miss you, RIP.
"Calm Down, Run Around, Throw Shit Out, WTF?!"
"Kills Spirit of Forums!"
"Oh Look it's my favorite move to eat"04/28/06~Mordak 03/20/10~JHonda
The Game
EMP The Game
PSN: DsSGame
XBL: TheSynGame
#32 “Quote” Edit Post
If the players want to do it I'm pretty sure it will be done.
Signature <pukey>: ddp had a better flair
Champion Law of America
Team USA
Top Tier DJ strat:
I'm new to the game but i find that the best way to win is to use f+3 then keep on using 3+4, f+1+2 until there dead.
ATLShinBlanka
Shihan
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Zero the Shadow
Let's keep this real. That last "National" tournament was not a "National" tournament. It was the SoCal, NorCal invitational. Last time I check 90% of the best Tekken players in America are from places not called California. I'm sure that they felt it was just and balanced cause BloodRed got to go over and play and represent the rest of America outside of California.

So a national tournament needs I dunno people from all over the nation. Second you can't give double qualifying spots to California and one to New York, and one to Atlanta, and one in Texas. That's always been another problem California also gets more qualifying spots for some reason and I mean seriously based on tournament results do they really deserve it? You really think the amount of quality players in Cali is that much more than New York or Atlanta or Texas? Only someone completely biased would think that.

So you set up a fair set of regional qualifiers. If you wanna do it the best way possible you take all of the best Tekken hotspots in America and you give them a qualifier and let the Top 4 from each tournament travel to the Nationals. If I was in charge these places would get one, New York City, Huston Texas, LA, San Jose/San Fran, Atlanta, Tennessee, Virginia, Upstate, Florida, Midwest, and STL. Maybe another Teaxs in there but I dunno where outside of Huston to put it. If I missed anyone feel free to call me and idiot and suggest it. This gives everyone a chance to play, You've got every major Tekken area covered with equal representation.

The next and most important thing is to have these regionals run by established tournament organizers. We know Rich is behind the wheel at Namco but Rich can't be in 10+ locations across the U.S. trying to run these tournaments. If Namco turns to people in the community that have established themselves as solid tournament organizers and has them run the tournaments with Namco supervision it will make the whole thing run smoothly. You don't want a fiasco like the SFIV National tournament where you've got a bunch of Gamestop employees trying to run a tournament and not knowing WTF they are doing.

With that set you dangle a fat prize pool out there for the game. Similar to the Mortal Kombat PDP tournament. Something the 2D heads can not ignore. Why? Cause even if we know people like Floe, Wong, and Mike Ross have no chance of winning this tournament the fact that they will try will get people interested in the game itself. You make these Regionals an event, like a mad dash, like they are all worth something already. I dunno how you do that, I don't want to suggest something overboard but it's gotta be something good for those Top 4 regional spots.

Then you bring em all together at one big tournament, you get the best of the best to stream it, you make it big, loud, exciting, and you run it like a real tournament but with more. Interviews with players, player break downs, pre and post match analysis by skilled commentators. You go balls out and make it seem like Tekken Tag 2 is this thing you can not miss, that it's on another level. You bring the quality of an MLG but all the hype that surrounds the Tekken scene. LOL You fly out the ATL crew just to get hype behind the stage.

Needless to say Top 8 pay out would be really nice similar to PDP and when it's all said and done and the fireworks go off and the winner is handed his big check and trophy Rich just jump on Stage and goes "Tekken Tag 2 59.99! Buy it bitches! Peace!"

A guy can dream.
Great post sir. I like the end part where rich jumps out of nowhere and says" Tekken Tag Tournament 2 $59.99 on ps3 or xbox360 BUY IT BITCHES!" lol But seriously this could happen if everything is planned correctly.
Signature FINAL ROUND "A Staple in the Fighting Game Community!"
ATLShinBlanka
Shihan
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by FlyMikey
Right now how I'm feeling, I'd go to every event in the series. Prob hit CEO just if Tag 2 is there.

Question is, is there any push for Namco to do that if they use the lackluster attendance for T6 at the MLGs as any indication? Especially the last one. Key thing would probably be turnout. I think they may be gauging NOW the number of players who come out to the spots and tourneys nationwide that have or will have TTT2 on display, maybe just to get a feel of whether to possibly start anything. Then there's gonna be the perception of interest after the actual console version releases and the number of entrants in tourneys.

The overall fg scene is getting bigger and people are playing everything these days, at least for a little while. So there's bound to be some heads who find appeal in TTT2. And maybe, just maybe, the one good thing that comes from SFxT is that some of those players flow into the actual Tekken series itself. The ones who don't get disappointed when they find out that the REAL Steve Fox doesn't have a Gadouken and shit.
I don't think the MLG past events would effect NAMCO BANDAI GAMES in this type of event if it was worth doing from a marketing standpoint. I do feel this topic needs to be front page material on TZ because everyone on this site needs to weigh in on this subject. Your feedback is vital to this happenning. (If there's an outside chance of this happenning in the 1st place) If this happens I would support this idea 200%. Hopefully community organizers will be apart of this project.
ATLShinBlanka
Shihan
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MarkMan
The only thing I want to make sure is... Our community doesn't shoot itself in the foot and stop building a new community. I know it's hard and I know that everyone has their own things to do. There's frustration but real talk, our community is spoiled now.. more than ever. Back in the day all we had was a PS1/PS2 and the internet. Let's make it big again.
Aint that the truth Mark. As a community we do have to embrace the new players, because that's how sf4 became the monster title it is now throughout the world! The gamestop events helped a lot in getting the new gamers into SF! Most of them never played sf before SF4. This is the approach we should take towards TTT2 imo, because I think it has a chance to be as big if not bigger than SF4 around the world! The old school players show people how it's suppose to be played and new school learn how to play while inventing new tech themselves. No disrespect to an other community of gamers, but we know what the tekken community can do and how big it truly is right now. We just have to help it grow and as og players and organizers it's our duty to help the process.
ATLShinBlanka
Shihan
#36 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Zero the Shadow
What we really need Mark is for Tekken to get on the major weekly stream and stay there. We can't make that happen, someone will pull needs to make that happen. They did AGAIN with SFxT. Soul Calibur 5 comes out, it gets one week at WNF then you never see it again, KOF13 comes out it gets one week at WNF you never see it again, Marvel 3 comes out you see it every single week, SFxT comes out, you see it every single week. If that isn't that kind of biased bullcrap that's holding Tekken back I dunno what is. How is the community suppose to grow for any games when the main streams refuse to give it a chance?

Tekken Tag 2 is the only fighting game currently due out this holiday season. The ONLY one. If it can not blow up this time the Tekken scene will never blow up. It has no competition so please for the love of god, Mark, Rich, anyone over there in SoCal, make it happen, get Tekken on ever week like the other games. Please, the more eyes on the game the more people begin to understand and appreciate it.

Also someone out there teach Chen or David how to play the game because if you get one of them on the stream talking about it and supporting it believe me the stream monsters will follow. If there is one thing that is true about stream monsters, they love David and James and will listen to anything and everything they say.

All of this combined with a fantastic National should finally allow Tekken to get the recognition it deserves. I would do something if I could all the way out here but I can't. I'm counting on you guys.
yea someone ship me a TTT2 prototype disc for ps3 and i'll showcase it at my new bi-weekly RANBATS (ATL-FINALROUNDBATS) that are going to start in april. We'll be streaming every event and you'll have some of the best players in the usa displaying the game in its best skill levels.
WayGamble
Iron Fist God
PSN: WayGamble
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by ATLShinBlanka
Aint that the truth Mark. As a community we do have to embrace the new players, because that's how sf4 became the monster title it is now throughout the world! The gamestop events helped a lot in getting the new gamers into SF! Most of them never played sf before SF4. This is the approach we should take towards TTT2 imo, because I think it has a chance to be as big if not bigger than SF4 around the world! The old school players show people how it's suppose to be played and new school learn how to play while inventing new tech themselves. No disrespect to an other community of gamers, but we know what the tekken community can do and how big it truly is right now. We just have to help it grow and as og players and organizers it's our duty to help the process.
Well said Larry
Signature I Am a Master of Those I Survey.
Jody Tha Great
Iron Fist God
#38 “Quote” Edit Post
Basically what we need to do is take our community to the next level and also go to the next couple majors. Make it a big turnout too such as PowerUp and UFGT8 which is coming up. I'm a be at those two this year. I hope I see everyone else there too.

KIDD
STL Aftermath