Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Fighting Game Panel
Catalyst
Shihan
XBL: PonderingPanda
#141 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sciolist
Like most decisions in Tekken, the answer to "which way do I SS?" is a little complicated. I'll give you a list of considerations for finding the answer that works best for you -

Thanks for the insight. It's funny because I was asking the even more basic question of "when should I try sidestepping," but your answer gave me much more of what I was wondering than my question would have gotten normally.

I guess the basic answer from your response is that sidestepping attacks is character attack dependent, and you have to know what side your opponent's character is weak on to dodge a specific attack. So it's not like I should be looking at sidesteps like a counter per se, since it is more situational, but that side steps are more like low parries for upper/mid attacks; you read an opponent's style and anticipate his next move and sidestep when they throw out move that can be dodged.

From your advice, once I learn when a sidestep is advantageous as well as possible, that's when it's possible to open the game up more. Do you think my "low-parries as opposed to counters" approach to thinking about sidesteps generally correct?
Signature ...when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle
sciolist
Bad Lt.
PSN: Bacon-B-Godlike
#142 “Quote” Edit Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of my little diatribe.
Catalyst
Shihan
#143 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by sciolist
Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of my little diatribe.

Right on man, you gave me a lot of food for thought to go over in that little paragraph, I really appreciate it. After reading what you said, I figured out that my problem was that even though I know what a sidestep technically is, I wasn't understanding how it really worked.

I figure I'm going to get beaten to death a whole lot until I get the mechanics down, but at least now I can start using it in the right way. Hopefully at some point I can use it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLhI7Co8CA
though probably not with Kuma/Panda
Signature ...when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle, they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle
forest16
ForestTekkenVideos
XBL: forest16
#144 “Quote” Edit Post
What is the DEAL with Panda's SS+1+2? It launches on counter hit...

SOMETIMES?

Last edited by forest16 on May 16th, 2012 at 16:22

BlueBolt
Expert
#145 “Quote” Edit Post
can someone list all tracking moves?
and when playing against other kumas/pandas... whats the most damaging basic combo out of df21 ?
xtrajosh14
4th Dan
#146 “Quote” Edit Post
what moves can be transitioned to hbs? and is it the same in ttt2?
J-Katz
Lone Wolf
XBL: o0 JkaTz 0o
#147 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm having questions about the bear's circus grab. HCB, F , 1+2. I see many good bear players use it. Is there a set up for this??I can't get it done in a match, the input is so difficult and it always ends up in me doing f 1+2 on block -_-''

So is there a set-up for this move? Is there a shortcut for inputting this move as well? And do you guys use it a lot?

Also, does it give an extra hit when throwed against a wall?
Catalyst
Shihan
#148 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm having questions about the bear's circus grab. HCB, F , 1+2. I see many good bear players use it. Is there a set up for this??I can't get it done in a match, the input is so difficult and it always ends up in me doing f 1+2 on block -_-''

So is there a set-up for this move? Is there a shortcut for inputting this move as well? And do you guys use it a lot?

Also, does it give an extra hit when throwed against a wall?

You can buffer the throw input into other moves so that it comes out instantly when those moves complete. I routinely use it with K/P's b+2,1,1+2 against unwise players, just drop the the last 1+2 part of the combo and while he is doing the b+2,1 animation, input the RnR throw command. On block, after the second hit Kuma will grab standing opponents instantly, even beating out many high attacks. You can then mix it up with the other b+2,1 variants to keep them guessing. Better players can knock you out of the full combo or punish, so watch out.

If you throw near a wall, they will wall splat high on the wall then fall on you for a small bit of damage to you leaving you in facedown/head towards position. You can then usually do the Bear Butterfly (FCD 1+1) hit for a single hit. It's not a combo, but get's you a bit of chip damage.

::edit::
Hunh, since we moved on to TT2, seems like the T6 forums have been paired down a bit. Used to be a a Rock n Roll thread here for awhile, but gone I guess. Basically you don't want to try to do just a "standing" RnR throw, you want to always buffer it during another move. B+2,1, RnR and 1,2 RnR works, can't remember if there are more, but those are the two most useful buffer moves.

Last edited by Catalyst on Jan 15th, 2013 at 04:07

J-Katz
Lone Wolf
XBL: o0 JkaTz 0o
#149 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Catalyst
You can buffer the throw input into other moves so that it comes out instantly when those moves complete. I routinely use it with K/P's b+2,1,1+2 against unwise players, just drop the the last 1+2 part of the combo and while he is doing the b+2,1 animation, input the RnR throw command. On block, after the second hit Kuma will grab standing opponents instantly, even beating out many high attacks. You can then mix it up with the other b+2,1 variants to keep them guessing. Better players can knock you out of the full combo or punish, so watch out.

If you throw near a wall, they will wall splat high on the wall then fall on you for a small bit of damage to you leaving you in facedown/head towards position. You can then usually do the Bear Butterfly (FCD 1+1) hit for a single hit. It's not a combo, but get's you a bit of chip damage.

::edit::
Hunh, since we moved on to TT2, seems like the T6 forums have been paired down a bit. Used to be a a Rock n Roll thread here for awhile, but gone I guess. Basically you don't want to try to do just a "standing" RnR throw, you want to always buffer it during another move. B+2,1, RnR and 1,2 RnR works, can't remember if there are more, but those are the two most useful buffer moves.

Thank you!!!