Page Splits
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
[~DTC~]
Combo Derper
XBL: Nor 360 =S
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
So as we know in Tag 2, there is much more strategy required due to tag out, tag assault, activating rage and tag crashes. Also as recently announced, there will be a new Tekken Tag called Unlimited which allows Solo mode, with that another set of strategy/play style is require.

This section will talk about ways Lei can do to deal against tag out, when to use or not to use tag assault, tag crash and etc.

Note: This is intended to be a guide, as in this game you can do whatever you like and don't have to follow what is mentioned.

Anti-Tag out
As you know there are few ways the opponent can tag out, there is the raw tag out, tag grab and tag crash. These are the few tags out we can deal against, but as for the offensive tag out, such as tag launch or tag assault, these are done during mid combo or when they score a hit, but by then usually we can't do much about it.

Raw Tag-out - Point Blank Range
For raw tag out, depending on range and opponent theres is a few ways Lei can catch them.
As for point blank range, Lei can go for the df+2 or uf+4 launcher as the tagging in opponent can not block as they return. But do beware of people throwing attacks as they come in, since the tagging in opponent can attack earlier than they can block. So expect them to throw 1, FC 1, WR moves or parries/reversals, but usually at a point blank range if you use the df+2 or uf+4 as soon as you see the character turn around and run, you can catch the tagging in opponent before they can throw out anything. And as for trying to catch the tagging out opponent, it's extremely hard, you basically have to predict and interrupt their tagging out animation.

Raw Tag-out - Close Range (1 character spacing/Spacing length at start of match)
At this range, dealing against tagging out becomes slightly more riskier and trickier. As at that range, Lei's option for tag catching is limited to dash uf+4, dash df+2, ff+3, f+3,1, razor rush, db+4, uf+3+4 and a few more.
The reason why I say at this range is much riskier, is because the amount of spacing, the time needed to close the gap allows enough time for opponent to throw out WR+1+2, WR+4, 1, FC 1, df+2 or reversal/parry. Neutralising your advantage or turn the tide into your disadvantage.
But from experience, as soon as you see opponent is tagging out ff+3 or uf+3+4 usually does but still chance of getting interrupted if you're too slow. But to be on the "safe side", db+4 or razor rush is your best choice in these situation.

Raw Tag-Out - Far Range (2 character spacing)
From this range, tagging out has become a relative safe for almost everyone. Few good options at this point would be a dash in grab, ff+2 (as opponent can not block yet once they tag in and will most likely throw a move) but beware for reversals and WR+3 just an option for slow reactions, it'll score some frame advantage.

As for any range beyond this, would be almost impossible to catch the tag in or tag out opponent.

Safe Raw Tag in for Lei
In this game, safe raw tagging is extremely difficult, as it relies on the combination of timing, deceiving, which move to use to keep yourself safe after tagging in and are the opponent ready to catch your tag in.

Safe Raw Tag in moves:
For safe tagging in, theres the generic moveset like FC 1, standing jabs and the tag in WR movesets. These options are usually used by characters that wants to have an offensive approach in tagging in or they do not have reversal/parry/stance with auto guard/stance cancelling.
Also theres is the Tag Out grabs, which is basically a breakable grab with the tag out option, some does red life (generic 2+5 or special character combo tag) and some don't (for Lei 1+3~5 to be confirmed).
Last but not least the last generic tag out option is the Tag Crash, requirement needed to use this is when the active character is on the ground and your partner must have rage. Using this sacrifices the red life of Tagging Out character and Rage of Tagging in character.

As for Lei he has moves from his own movesets that can make tagging in safe and in some cases turning it into advantage.
Such move that includes:

• f+3+4 DRU stance, but beware it is limited to punch parries and Lei is practically vulnerable to lows and kicks (Need confirm and testing but f+3+4~F might be able to use the hidden DRU punch parry to counter high punches and open them up for DRU 4 launcher).
  • 3+4 punch parry, same weakness as f+3+4 and in addition that the punch parry window is quite small and ambiguous at the moment, but reward could be high if properly used.
  • d+3+4_d+1+2_d+1+4_d+2+3, high crushing ground stance, ain't as good as pre T6 ground stance but still an option.
  • b+3+4~b_b+3~4~b_b+4~3~b, the infamous Ho Ho, Ha Ha, Silent Step. Cancels the tag in lag and gives you the ability to block again, one of the few fastest and best tag cancels in the game. Personally the one move I use everytime I tag Lei in. (Also be warned that you're not 100% safe, as you are vulnerable in the brief frame gap in the cancel and the brief frame gap before you can use this move)

More to be added. Last updated in August 18

Last edited by [~DTC~] on Aug 18th, 2012 at 05:11

Signature &// - Dragon - Tiger - Crane -DTC
[~DTC~]
Combo Derper
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
Reserved 1
[~DTC~]
Combo Derper
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Reserved 2
SuikenUser
Tell the News
PSN: Suikenuser
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
hi guys, please please keep this together! It doesn't seem right to have two separated threads based off for strategy right? Just update your current thread on the first thread as you reserved! Any questions please let me know thanks team!
SuikenUser
Tell the News
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Though I haven't been active it doesn't mean I haven't been watching, I don't erase threads, If they need to be merge I will do that. If it's a different topic then please feel free to create it, but please with all do respect seeing Lei s Strategic ver 1 then lei Strategic vs then lei Strategic whatever is so confusing to new players. How will they know where to look through? Keeping them together is simple, easy, and less time consuming. Though I understand your frustration with me just merging your topic into another thread without tell you, I apologize. I will inform you next time before doing so. But keep in mind that all threads are created so all of us can share information not just mods, If I find any new source of news I will post, until then I will simply keep the threads clean and simple, with Tag 2 only weeks away I'm really positive that we will have a large amount of new players and not just us old farts, have a good day all!
shauno
MentalFrameAdvantage
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
I'm personally not a fan of mega-threads because it is harder to come back over the months and revive talks about specific areas of his game, and it is much more difficult to find a topic that was raised earlier if there is no thread title to hunt down. Having stuff all lumped together feels unorganized and random at times. But I'm sure you guys will figure things out.
Signature "Practice makes improvement - you can never be perfect"
yiggs
#BUFFLING
PSN: yiggs_au
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
i decided to play lei randomly the other day, is it just me or does haha step not cover as much distance anymore..

Sorry, the last time i played lei was T6 vanilla
Signature #BUFFLING
gettingfood
Sage
PSN: Gettingfood
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Was wondering what you guys think about lei coming in with ff3, or ff3+4. They both low crush and ff3+4 being safe
DYNA$TY
Drunken Immortal
PSN: Akushitsu
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
You're asking to get counter hit.
Signature Team Next Generation
Skeering
Eoin = Owen
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
I use ff3+4 probably more than I should. It's not too bad of wiff condidering it leaves you on the floor.
Signature

Favorite quote: Everyone worse than you is a noob, and everybody better has no life...
Ultimat
Tekken Lord Black
PSN: FireKungFuHero
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
I wonder if there is more use to u/f+1 than just simply being a juggle filler, because I was playing with the crouching/ws setups that follow up with 1+2,1. Like u/f+1 is like -3 to -4 on block and you can still follow up with quick jabs or d+1s so you still be on the aggressive game.

You all may think d/b+3+4 is more less useless but if you go into DRU it has its own version of DRs f,f+3+4
Signature [Lei2]Drunken Kung Fu and Chinese Kung Fu Rules!!!Right Guys?

YEAH!!!
gettingfood
Sage
PSN: Gettingfood
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
I believe hitting people on their back with uf 1 gives you enough frames to get a f3,1,2. I'm not positive about that though.

db1+2 on tag. Is the distance he goes back with the risk of punishment on block. I feel like it works well on people who like to attack with tip of their toes to make them safe.
The Exalted
Last of the Trueborn
PSN: Exaltedvow
XBL: A Cautionary Tale...
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Good thread!
Signature ****The (B.A.D) Exalted?**** - "The NYC Hierarchy Ranking System (HRS) is live! "

"You look up because you desire to be Exalted...and I look down, because I am EXALTED." - Nietzsche

The bold embodiment of JUSTICE!@!, 'NYC's Wayward Son?' and Lei Wulong MASTER [RRD]
CaCarmen
Iron Fist God
PSN: cacacarmen
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Agreed, I like the idea of having a thread dedicated to the tag aspects of the game, as its very important (and new to a lot of post TT1 players, including myself).

Green Lei jotted down ways to get around tag crashes after throws in the other thread, thats stuff's pretty important and good for anyone interested in this thread. Also important is to look into whatever moves give Lei a hard knockdown and how to get around tag crashes (not that Lei has many. The only ones that comes to mind right now are DRU1, dbWP, bb1_PHX1 (one of these guarantees a uf2 in certain situations, I vaguely remember) and CRA4 (opponent is face down).
Signature "老外的LEI很烦人了"
"还是换人吧"
"你心中怨念深重,怒火冲天门。导致你铁拳技能急速下降"
"我早就说过,你换几个普通角色你就发现你也很弱。。 "
"卡波拉门"
SuikenUser
Tell the News
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Anyone know if they changed lei's ss 1+4/ 2+4 ? I've been using it by inputting ss delay to get a bigger step. it seems to work well I remember in t6 it didn't work to well. Happy Holidays.