Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
ChiefDeebo
Raijin
PSN: PresidentDeebo
XBL: Mayor Deebo
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
"Everybody says I must fight Ali someday," Bruce said. "I'm studying every move he makes. I'm getting to know how he thinks and moves". Bruce Lee knew he could never win a fight against Ali "look at my hands", he said. "That's a little Chinese hand. he'd kill me"

scan of page:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c...66/scan0049.jpg

I gather he's being either modest or talking about a boxing match :p has anyone read this full book? im trying to find the name of it, to see if it's been taken out of context or something

Last edited by ChiefDeebo on Jul 2nd, 2011 at 17:55

Signature لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

(Insert Royal Name)Deebo
SSJ4_Vegita
Party in my pants
PSN: VeggyUK
XBL: VeggyUK
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
A 6'3 214lbs heavyweight boxer would beat a 5'7 160lbs chinese guy?

Signature If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button.
king_ruckus
Enter the Ruckus
PSN: king_ruckus
XBL: king ruckus
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Bruce Lee did say that, he meant in a boxing match. I read more of the quote somewhere online years ago, can't remember where, sorry.
Signature You two are on some grade school bullshit. Just put an end to it already.
tekken6bryanfur
Iron Fist God
XBL: JSmith007
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
since when has a 170 lb ever had to box a heavy weight boxer and is expected to win

thats like saying brock lesner saying "michael phelps would kill me" or "lance armstrong would kill me" when asked if he could beat them in a swim or bike race

in a street fight? any small guy can punch a bigger guy in the balls and throat and throw a trashcan at his head with no rules, in the old days of ufc there was no weight class and no rules at all

heck any ufc brazilian jujitsu fighter today could submit, break, and kill ali in his prime in the octogon
VargasTheSick
Tekken God
PSN: VargasTheSick
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma...&gid=145591

Enough said, and at least Kimo had Boxing AND Wrestling backgrounds.
Signature " Come back when you've learned how to fight. "
ChiefDeebo
Raijin
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
if it was a boxing match then obviously ali would win, but the source and link really wasn't clear, some say he meant in a street fight while others say he meant in a boxing match.

I respect Ali a lot I don't mind it when ppl say he'd beat lee, but I think this whole "Bruce Lee is just an actor" is harsh

(Insert Royal Name)Deebo
jrtien
Iron Fist God
PSN: josh_bigboss
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
If you think of it in the sense that Bruce was a warrior and wasn't going to underestimate Ali then you will understand what he most probably meant. Not that he would be beaten easily, or conceded defeat, but rather that his opponent was well equipped to destroy him.
In the case of the two fighting Ali is superior physically, and possibly in better condition for a drawn out battle. Boxers are able to recieve and give damage, while Bruce probably isn't as used to receiving damage. Basically one heavy punch from Ali, and it would be lights out for our favorite Kung fu movie star.
That doesn't count Bruce out completely though, especially if he can also kick. The bottom line though is that it would be a mismatch. If anyone wants to see decent theatrical scene of some kung fu fighters against a boxer then watch Ip Man 2. Ip Man was Bruce Lee's teach too, so that might be worth mentioning.
Razzuya24
Iron Fist God
PSN: OniTYME
XBL: STEAM is Onishiro13
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by ChiefDeebo
if it was a boxing match then obviously ali would win, but the source and link really wasn't clear, some say he meant in a street fight while others say he meant in a boxing match.

I respect Ali a lot I don't mind it when ppl say he'd beat lee, but I think this whole "Bruce Lee is just an actor" is harsh
It's not harsh, it's the truth. Sure he spouted a lot of borrowed philosophies and common sense, but the guy gets waaaay too much credit and people buy into it as if he's got trophies or fight to speak of. Sammo Hung, Jet Li, MJ White, Chuck Norris, and Sonny Chiba can claim such things.
Signature "Listen here you beautiful bitch. I'm gonna fuck you up with some TRUTH!" -Kenny Powers
BloodRedPenguin
Iron Fist God
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
u forgot david carradine.
Signature YOU ACCEPT VISA? MASTERCARD? HOW ABOUT RAGE?
king_ruckus
Enter the Ruckus
PSN: king_ruckus
XBL: king ruckus
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Razzuya24
It's not harsh, it's the truth. Sure he spouted a lot of borrowed philosophies and common sense, but the guy gets waaaay too much credit and people buy into it as if he's got trophies or fight to speak of. Sammo Hung, Jet Li, MJ White, Chuck Norris, and Sonny Chiba can claim such things.

All those guys you mentioned give him credit whenever he's brought up, especially Chuck Norris.
Signature You two are on some grade school bullshit. Just put an end to it already.
ChiefDeebo
Raijin
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by tekken6bryanfur
heck any ufc brazilian jujitsu fighter today could submit, break, and kill ali in his prime in the octogon

wouldnt go as far as that, Ali was not a stupid fighter he was really intelligent. Although ppl keep pointing out his power, it's his hand speed and movement which made him arguably the best boxer of all time. I think he was the 3rd fastest boxer of all time, and he was a heavy weight lol. Watch a young Cassius Clay, the guy was lethal. He had a strong chin too, heck he was taken blows from Big Goerge Foreman. I doubt your average jujitsu guy would beat him as you seem to point out

(Insert Royal Name)Deebo
Hibakusha_
Berserker
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
Sorry Chief but its been proven time and time again that Jiujitsu > Boxing. So much so that even when their is a vast difference in weight class the Jiujitsu guy still wins.

I'm not saying Ali couldn't beat a Jiujitsu guy, all I'm saying is that he better get a clean knockout before he is put on the ground because if that happens it is over.
123arskas
4th Dan
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Muhammad Ali = Boxer Bruce Lee = Martial artist
He can only fight in a He can fight according to the given situation
boxing match with his gloves. and it was his speciality.

Few years of training is not equal to the whole life training.
Shimma
Banned
PSN: Elvis Jagger
XBL: Abdul-Jabbar
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SSJ4_Vegita

+1 props!!!
Signature Originally posted by kuni_hwoarang
I posted a link to a video of myself posting a link, and the resulting black hole destroyed the universe.

But only temporarily.
Kurai Ryu
is SUPERCHARGED!!
PSN: Kurairyu
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
This would be an interesting fight to see. Bruce and Cassius, that is.

On the subject of bjj vs boxing, I don't think we've ever seen some of the top mma vs the top ranking boxers (if we have, please link). Everything else is just exhibitions coupled with a lot of speculation. Ali was a bit of a different beast altogether in terms of boxing prowess. He was an infighter, naturally, as most of the heavyweight division are, but he moved like an out-fighter. He kept you out and wore you down before even going in to trade blows. His guard was completely down most of the time, encouraging attack, and he was always on his toes. I don't think any normal bjj fighter going in for a take-down would have much luck.

When Ali finally plants his feet, bjj users may be at a disadvantage. Unless you have a heavy boxing background, you don't want to take any unnecessary chances against someone who hits that hard and fast trying to get a take down or throwing light kicks to check his legs. He would catch you off balance and plant you in the ground so fast.

But again, speculation. I think it would depend upon who is against who, and their backgrounds. If it were no holds barred, I think Lee would win in a 1v1 vs Ali. Lee has more tools at his disposal, and probably a better knowledge of the human body.
Signature ~aka Nightblade~ "OhRiri?"

Originally posted by MYK [jamgi]
[Kaz]11 party on the wall all day.
jrtien
Iron Fist God
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SSJ4_Vegita

Lee couldn't have weighed more than 145. Even if he was billed as being heavier he was really lean and somewhat skinny and only had 5'7 height to distribute his weight on. There is no way.

Anyway, generally juijitsu will win over boxing. Boxing is designed to fight other boxers only. We don't even get matches with pure boxers versus other fighters anymore. boxers know that their style is too one dimensional to seriously take on others without some additional training.

Ali did fight a wrestler, and it was ugly. There were so many rules placed on the wrestler that he had to resort to drop kicking Ali's shins the entire bought. I don't remember the outcome, but Ale had all kinds of bruises and blood clots in his legs afterward...
ChiefDeebo
Raijin
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
As far as I know Ali did beat the wrestler in the end, if your referring to this match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1Cx0ysQiM

Obviously Jujitsu is better than boxing in general, but the point is when comparing the very best of boxing to your average jujitsu fighter I'd say Ali would win, (IMO).
I could be ignorant to MMA, but as far as I know it has weight divisions right? I also here that the Brock Lesnar was champion for a decent period in the heavyweight division. Do you guys honestly see a young Cassius Clay losing to the Brock Lesnar? Again my knowledge regarding MMA limited so excuse my ignorence

Remember Ali took blows from George Foreman, and his knock out punch was so fast u couldnt see it until you actually replayed it. Watch this round (at the age of 32)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALtuXNH22fA

But then again one lock from a brazillian jujitsu guy and it's over lol. I think a lot if it depends on what if situations, and you wont get a consistent winner if they fought 10 times

Last edited by ChiefDeebo on Jul 10th, 2011 at 23:52

(Insert Royal Name)Deebo
Baron West
Iron Fist God
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kurai Ryu
On the subject of bjj vs boxing, I don't think we've ever seen some of the top mma vs the top ranking boxers (if we have, please link). Everything else is just exhibitions coupled with a lot of speculation. Ali was a bit of a different beast altogether in terms of boxing prowess. He was an infighter, naturally, as most of the heavyweight division are, but he moved like an out-fighter. He kept you out and wore you down before even going in to trade blows. His guard was completely down most of the time, encouraging attack, and he was always on his toes. I don't think any normal bjj fighter going in for a take-down would have much luck.

UFC fans love saying that, but you're right; As far as I know the top boxers have never fought against top rated bjj/shoot/mma guys. Just guys with "a boxing background". Frankly I don't see it happening anytime in the near future because they get paid a lot more from boxing.

Most "style vs style" arguments strikes me as bs. Real fights come down to luck and experience, regardless of fighting style.

FYI Ali was an out-fighter. A large, very hard hitting out-fighter, but definitely an out-fighter. Ali controlled space by dancing outside of his opponents range. Conversely, Frazier got in extremely close, and ducked and weaved away from damn near everything...he was the natural in-fighter.
Signature The danger's real enough. Let's not imagine it where it doesn't exist.

USMCOgre
Money Inc.
PSN: MoneyIncUSMCOgre
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Baron West
UFC fans love saying that, but you're right; As far as I know the top boxers have never fought against top rated bjj/shoot/mma guys. Just guys with "a boxing background". Frankly I don't see it happening anytime in the near future because they get paid a lot more from boxing.

Most "style vs style" arguments strikes me as bs. Real fights come down to luck and experience, regardless of fighting style.

FYI Ali was an out-fighter. A large, very hard hitting out-fighter, but definitely an out-fighter. Ali controlled space by dancing outside of his opponents range. Conversely, Frazier got in extremely close, and ducked and weaved away from damn near everything...he was the natural in-fighter.

Randy Couture beat the shit out of James Toney recently.
Signature The search for equality is a search for the lowest common denominator...
jrtien
Iron Fist God
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
James Toney did do MMA training to prepare for the fight though... Did he even do decently?
I think that if Ali got used to fighting people that could kick and grapple that he would be able to find effective ways to destroy her opponents. It would definitely be cool to see though.
Lets do a hypothetical fight with some living people, how about Jet Li versus Pacquiao, or Mayweather vs
Big Show... Oh wait that already happened.