Yoshi in BR [FAQ 1st post] (updated:3/18/09)

Page Splits 1...<404142
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#821 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Inca
he also has u/b+1 which a straight vertical hop version of the stab.

after a dgf 4 on hit, I generally do a b+1+2, because certain people panic and do a bt attack. it's great when your opponent is near the wall. netting you a free wall splat. If your opponent is smart and isn't the type to panic a quick bb+1+4 or a bb+1+4~1+2 works wonders. =3

You definitely play much safer than I did. I tend to ssl~f+3+4 since it would hit opp at max range.

It's a good area to explore, for sure.
.Dopple.
Legend
PSN: Is for RPGs
XBL: vV kRUNch Vv
#822 “Quote” Edit Post
IMO, it would definitely depend on the opponent's options in BT...
If Lei, Ling, Law, Lili, etc.
I'd just wait for a whiff...
Could always do u/f+3+4,b+1,4... might be able to crush some of their stuff
Signature
Yea... I kinda like stances
Subs: The Character Select Screen
Spike those F***s and dooo tha Oki Dokie
PltnmNgl
Master
PSN: Jinkwai
#823 “Quote” Edit Post
You guys heard the new Avoiding the Puddle Podcast? Aris talks about Yoshi's weaknesses in more depth. Tell me what you guys think.
Godfather
2nd Dan
#824 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by PltnmNgl
You guys heard the new Avoiding the Puddle Podcast? Aris talks about Yoshi's weaknesses in more depth. Tell me what you guys think.

I think he's right about every aspect about Yoshi? except punishment. It?s true that when it comes to traditional punishment, he?s not that good. But his punishment with flash is still great; not a good as it was in T6 but Yoshi?s flash in 6.0 was broken imo. BR Yoshi can punish a bunch of moves that others can?t punish or punish as well. Check out Inca?s Yoshi?s guide. You?ll be surprise at how much Yoshi can punish/interrupt
Kazu-Yoshi-girl
a.k.a Tenshimitsu
PSN: Tenshimitsu
#825 “Quote” Edit Post
Unfortunately, he's not right in every aspect.

d/b+3,3,4 has -12 disadv... nope, last hit is safe.
4,4,4 is in Aris opinion "relatively safe". O_O I get launched every single time I try this. It's so easy to see.
Yoshi has shitty wall game? Hmm, maybe somebody enlighten me here, because I don't think so... o_O

But big plus: Aris is still a Yoshi fan. Thumbs up!
Signature http://www.ManjiKai.com - Shiki soku ze kuu!
吉光と天使光:一心同体
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#826 “Quote” Edit Post
From Haiguy's (who uses Jack) words after we had a 12-hour session:

"Yoshi's wall game is disgusting. I personally think that his wall game is up there w/ Jack, w/ lots of unblockables and teleports"

But then again, no point of discussing about how good/shitty Yoshi is right now, haha.

Hey KYG, can you be on msn for a short period of time? I would like you to test something out.
PltnmNgl
Master
PSN: Jinkwai
#827 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kazu-Yoshi-girl
Unfortunately, he's not right in every aspect.

d/b+3,3,4 has -12 disadv... nope, last hit is safe.
4,4,4 is in Aris opinion "relatively safe". O_O I get launched every single time I try this. It's so easy to see.
Yoshi has shitty wall game? Hmm, maybe somebody enlighten me here, because I don't think so... o_O

But big plus: Aris is still a Yoshi fan. Thumbs up!

I agree.

I think he meant f,f+4 being safe.

"Yoshimitsu will never win an Evo."

Hmm...
Yoshimattsu
Master
PSN: Yoshimattsu
XBL: Party Hat Matt
#828 “Quote” Edit Post
I really love that they listened and answered my question, I hope to see at least a few of these issues addressed by production staff, and maybe now that they have suggestions on improvement by people that act as the "voice" of the community, changes for the better will be made! Here's hopin'!
Signature It's astounding, time is fleeting....
amphreded
PSN: amphreded
#829 “Quote” Edit Post
Something I found out a big while ago, but forgot to mention them here:

1st thing:
u/f+3, b+1~3_4, b+2,1~KIN f+2

It's regular u/f+3 launcher into single b+1 into single spinning evade (possible to either side) then to b+2,1~KIN f+2 ender.
It doesn't do as much damage as your staple, however the single spinning evade will realign your position a little while doing the combo. This is most useful on breakable wall stage.
After you end with KIN f+2 (have to calculate the distance well), the opponent gets W! and you can follow up with B! of your choice. Mine would be ff+3+4,1+2,3+4.
Take not that the realigning is quite small, but I've managed to integrate this into my arcade fights a few times and thus it's useful to know. Good for maximizing damage.

2nd thing:
When you use multiple b+1s to carry opponent right into wall, if you time correctly, you can do things like:
u/f+3, b+1,1, b+1,1,1,(1),1, dash, Flash, f+1+2 B!
for extra damage

But I think a lot of you know this already
Marto
Deity
PSN: marto_motoko
#830 “Quote” Edit Post
Amphreded thanks for the tips on the new combo setup. I just goofed around with it for a bit, and actually it is very intuitive and easy to pull off, which makes it useful for the wall-carry, or even just as a different way to go about attacking. I noticed even as a normal combo without it actually juggling, a guarding opponent can get caught up and try to interrupt at the wrong time.
Signature - I used to think Tekken's characters had ridiculous depth, then I used Ling and Yoshimitsu.

Tiers mean little in the hand of skilled player.
amphreded
PSN: amphreded
#831 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Marto
Amphreded thanks for the tips on the new combo setup. I just goofed around with it for a bit, and actually it is very intuitive and easy to pull off, which makes it useful for the wall-carry, or even just as a different way to go about attacking. I noticed even as a normal combo without it actually juggling, a guarding opponent can get caught up and try to interrupt at the wrong time.

Glad you've found this useful. Sorry didn't reply sooner... I completely forgot to check this thread for some reason.

I love maximizing damage with u/f+3, b+1,1, b+1,1,1,(1),1 W! flash, f+1+2 B!
Hard to get the distance right... though if you change the flash part into something single 2 instead then it's more flexible.
Aurongroove
7th Dan
PSN: jfgtp
#832 “Quote” Edit Post
I know it's a little late in the day for T6 Yoshi but I've just picked him up and I've been looking at a few things.

I found some option starting from uf3+4 to be very effective against people who don't know Yoshi and some who do! it;' basically a tour de force of almost every launcher he has, without letting the player get any real chance except for some punishes.

uf3+4 itself is very strong considering the rest of Yoshi's moves, that is to say it's the best of a bad lot; and it wins as many contests as it loses (against other "legs everywhere" sort of moves that are simultaneously happening, looking at Lili, Creddy etc)

Stage 1:
uf3+4(blocked), 3+4
If the launcher hits: wonderful, do his max damage juggle, two of them and you've won the round.

if they block the 3+4, you're at -12 right in front of them so if they know the trap straight off or you've trained them to expect it you'll be "eating a punish" for going one too many. It's worth it for what it sets up as long as you are sure they you've trained them not to be jab happy after blocking uf3+4

Stage 2:
uf3+4, u3+4
Once you've trained them to remain blocking after the uf3+4 to punish you, change it to uf3+4, u3+4, another launcher, but one which is +4/5 on block and forces crouch.
If that launcher connects do your juggle and away you go, in my experience it rarely does even against idiots and you want them to block it anyways. You're really only doing this to set up the next launcher.

stage 3:
uf3+4, u3+4, uf3

the uf3 is practically uninterruptable by any WR move since the u3+4 leave you in +4/5 and the launch is a 15 frame hop kick.
if the launch connects go you! if they remain blocking you're eating another -12f punish but 3 seems to the the magic number for a lot of people; they've just blocked two crazy looking attacks and expect to be at the advantage.

stage 4:
uf3+4, u3+4, f3,3

f3 is 16 frames, after a +4/5 and force crouch attack so you can theoretically be hit out of it or high crushed if they know it's coming. but if anything this is the part of the journey where most of the people come unstuck and just get hopelessly clemmed by the f3 for 30 damage or so and others will block the high but take the low launcher.

the low is the first stage they can finally hit back though, it;s -20 on block. (yikes!) but it;s so insanely unlikely to be dealt with in the context.

stage 5:
uf3+4, u3+4, f3,4 into BT mixups, BT to FC mixups or escape.
yoshi's getting a bit desperate at this stage. this is the one to try after the f3,3 has worked once or twice but they're too afraid to duck the f3 in case of uf3. If they're trying to deal with the low they'll probably just about figure out the mid is coming, if they block, either exit with BT b/db/ub, or start a new chain of guessing games from the blocked ff4 position. I like to use BT d1 (leave you in crouch, so you can jab then throw out an unblockable sweep or try for a while crouching df4 for a CH launch or safely exit with a WS4) but be aware that at this stage your opponent will be considering only the fastest most evasive attacks the have or worse: a hop kick! so maybe if you get all the way from uf3+4 to BT after f3,4, turn evade and wait for them to do something aggressive.

Last edited by Aurongroove on Jul 15th, 2012 at 13:56

Signature I'm hilarious!
Aurongroove
7th Dan
PSN: jfgtp
#833 “Quote” Edit Post
ahh, it was too good to be true.

actually it seems that u3+4 is +3 or 4 on block, but when it's uf3+4, u3+4, the u3+4 is not safe and dosn't force crouch!! shit whay did thay do that?

also, shame on all the people I was fighting that this worked on then!.
Signature I'm hilarious!
Inca
(=' 3 ')=
PSN: xxIncaxx
#834 “Quote” Edit Post
u+3+4 is +5~+6 since if you do a throw after it they can't interrupt it.
Signature slaughtering you with love taps.