Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
A Beginner's guide to Baek's Basic FLA Looping
(Note: For Beginners ONLY!)

Disclaimer: This is a basic FLA Looping guide, which is an updated version from my 2-yr old looping strat. By no means should u be using this FLA looping strat as ur core game, but using it as a guide to help u decide when to cancel ur attack, and when not to cancel. This thread compliments the Baek'd Potato thread, and can be used as a preparation for the Side dish setups. ~Nood

Requirements:
-U know how to iFLA cancel w/ ease.
-U have a decent reflex that can spot a hit-check.

Works BEST against
-Characters who don't have build-in evasion attacks (such as Christie's b+2, or Feng's ss+4)
-Biggies who can not ss well.
-Opponent who prefers interrupting than ss.

I will keep this thread updated once a while.

Last edited by NoodleHead on Nov 12th, 2007 at 04:17

NoodleHead
will touch u gently
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
A beginner's guide to Baek's basic FLA looping...

Simply said, it can be summed up into a single sentence:
Cancel if opp is hit, and let it go when opp blocks ur attack.

FLA is Baek's strongest weapon, but is also the most risky. Several moves of his outa FLA can inter-loop, for example

FLA d+4,3,3,3~f
FLA d/f+4,4,3~f
FLA 3,4>4,3~f

The last hit can either cancel into FLA looping, or finish with a mid kick that stuns on CH. The trick of FLA is to get opponent to eat as many FLA mixup situations and get opponent to guess wrong as much as possible to eat the CH 3 CFS stun. Although CFS stun can be escaped, it requires almost instant forward tapping. If not escaped, juggles into setups, such as d/f+3~f FLA d+4,3,3,3~f into snake kick, or b+4 1,2x3 d+2_1+2,4_wall juggle, are hugely applicable. If opp happens to escape the stun, u can always start ur own mixups, since u are at frame adv.

The problem with the FLA mixup is, if opp guesses right and attack u when u cancel the attack, u eat the CH damage, and if opp guesses right and block when u did not cancel the FLA, u lose the initiative + negative frame post block. This problem can be solved by brain-fucking opponent based on the First law of tekken: when u block a move that gives u + frame, u attack, and if u are hit (or CHed), hold block. This is the way how 90% of players block and attack, with very very few exceptions.

Now back to the three strings I wrote there. On counter, the first three hits of d+4,3,3 is guaranteed, as well as the first two hit of d/f+4,4. By seeing if opp gets counter hit, u can determine whether or not u should cancel:

(Back to the 1st Law of Tekken)
-On the non-CH situation, opponent would be able to block the second/third hit. This creates a "seemly opportunity" for opp to attack and interrupt ur FLA cancel.

-On the CH situation, opponent would try to block the first possible hit and retaliate after blocking the attack that gives them + frames on block.

So... this is where the one-line strat comes in. If opp blocks the previous attack, don't cancel the FLA but finish the mid kick (because opp will most likly to anticipate to interrupt ur FLA), and if opp is hit (that is, CHed) by the strings, cancel the last hit into FLA looping because opponent ?will be looking for blocking the possible first attack.? If successful, the first scenario gives u CH 3 CFS stun, and the second will allow u to continue the pressure.

What about FLA 3,4,4,3?

The third hit of FLA 3,4>4,3 can be delayed, and this creates a double trap. The first trap comes in the delay to lure opp into attacking u, but eating the delayed third hit instead, and the second trap comes in when opp is cautious and blocking the delayed attack and is ready to retaliate. Following the same rule, if opp is hit by the delayed kick, cancel the last attack into FLA, and if opp blocks the delayed 3rd hit, finish the straight kick to fish their retaliation attempt.

By following this guideline, u will have opp. guessing wrong and eat the mid kick at least 80-90% of the time, if not more. Linearly, the only situation that opp. will get outa the loop is if they block BOTH the string AND the last straight kick. Notice at this situation when opponent prefers to block after blocking a ?frame attack, it means they are in the fully defense situation, and their "instant" retaliation reflex becomes shit. This result the not-exactly-safe final kick rarely punished, because opp. is still blocking!

One advantage of this strategy is that it follows opponent?s pattern, instead of the specific # of canceling. Therefore, the chance of your opponent realizes the cancel pattern is much less likely. After all, they will be busy figuring out ur pattern, instead of their own, which is what this strat is all about.

However, this strat suffers from both ss opponents and characters w/ specific anti-Baek tools that take advantage of Baek's last hit. To fight against opp who ss a lot, u will have to eliminate their ss games before getting this strat into full effect. d/b+4 outa FLA tracks both side fairly well, d/f+1 to stop the ss/sw launcher, b+4 tracks left decently, and FLA f+3 tracks a bit of both. Use them when necessary to stop opp from side stepping. Once your opp relies on d+1_d+2 interrupt instead of ss against ur FLA setups, the match is urs.

Last edited by NoodleHead on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 17:55

Hunting_Hawk89
1st Dan
PSN: d_bust_a_scrub45
XBL: Fennec Fox89
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
im new to tekken and my friend showed me this site and i just wanted to say thanks for the tips for FLA looping add me on psn so u can show me some more stuff PSN: d_bust_a_scrub45
Signature "Im Colder Than BR add another three R's"

NoodleHead
will touch u gently
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Hunting_Hawk89
im new to tekken and my friend showed me this site and i just wanted to say thanks for the tips for FLA looping add me on psn so u can show me some more stuff PSN: d_bust_a_scrub45

Heh, thx, HH.

I am not going to be available for a little while during the Christmas and stuff, but I should be able to help you out once a while. I will try to remember to add you in the list, heh.
BrandonMasters
1st Dan
XBL: BrandonMasters
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Saw the link it the Tekken 6 threads that brought me here, really good info Nood, thanks alot bro.
Signature Power is Everything
The Master (Exclusively)
[10th Gup]
SridharsVs
Legend
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
Here is what I think of Baek:

I have been learning Baek lately and I found out that Baek is a totally risky character. Most of his moves are too risky to pull off.

IMO all of his fla cancels d+4,3,3,3~fla, d/f+4,4,3~fla can be interrupted with a hopkick for a CH launch. I am pretty sure that the hopkick works even after getting hit by CHd+4,3,3,3~fla.The only safe fla cancel Baek has is 1,2,3~fla~d/f+1 which cannot be interrupted. d+2 also interrupts all of his fla cancels except (1,2,3~u_1,2,3~d) and 1,2,3~fla~d/f+1.The same also goes for the hopkick.

Now the only problem is with the 3 ender. The 3 ender is unsafe to start with and can also be ssed easily. At the most,Baek players can end with the 3 ender for an easy CH Double over stun. The stun is easy to spot and can easily be escaped with a ~f tap.
So, if one keeps performing hopkicks after d+4,3,3,3~fla, d/f+4,4,3~fla and ws+4,4,3~fla he could either get a free launcher or could get hit with the 3 ender which is relativey safe when compared to other options which an opponent could do.
I am not sure if this correct, so correct me if this wrong.

???? Never studied him.
toothy
Fujin
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SridharsVs
Here is what I think of Baek:

I have been learning Baek lately and I found out that Baek is a totally risky character. Most of his moves are too risky to pull off.

IMO all of his fla cancels d+4,3,3,3~fla, d/f+4,4,3~fla can be interrupted with a hopkick for a CH launch. I am pretty sure that the hopkick works even after getting hit by CHd+4,3,3,3~fla.The only safe fla cancel Baek has is 1,2,3~fla~d/f+1 which cannot be interrupted. d+2 also interrupts all of his fla cancels except (1,2,3~u_1,2,3~d) and 1,2,3~fla~d/f+1.The same also goes for the hopkick.

Now the only problem is with the 3 ender. The 3 ender is unsafe to start with and can also be ssed easily. At the most,Baek players can end with the 3 ender for an easy CH Double over stun. The stun is easy to spot and can easily be escaped with a ~f tap.
So, if one keeps performing hopkicks after d+4,3,3,3~fla, d/f+4,4,3~fla and ws+4,4,3~fla he could either get a free launcher or could get hit with the 3 ender which is relativey safe when compared to other options which an opponent could do.
I am not sure if this correct, so correct me if this wrong.

???? Never studied him.

Just thought I'd pop in to say that every single aspect of your post is wrong. And no I am not going to be more helpful than that. Good luck with your Baek progress.
Signature Zarzob:"I was like 'where's the PAB uf+2?.... There it is..."
SridharsVs
Legend
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Dude, everything that I had posted is correct. If you keep abusing Fla loops you are sure to get a Hopkick in your face. Besides only 443 ender stuns on CH.
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
So your opponent is a chronic hopkicker?

Great, don't cancel and have them eat the CH 3, no?

If you have read this thread, you should know what this thread is about : the mindset of FLA cancel. In higher level play, Baek was not meant to play w/ FLA looping alone, but w/ precise offensive maneuvers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnPtbLuyuHg

The idea of when to cancel and when not to is still quite important in the higher level play, though the looping is no longer the viable option.
Mattcore
Shihan
XBL: Mattc0re
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by SridharsVs
Dude, everything that I had posted is correct. If you keep abusing Fla loops you are sure to get a Hopkick in your face. Besides only 443 ender stuns on CH.

so don't abuse FLA without cancelling? Baek has other combos too

If your opponent is just chain hopkicking, use something with better priority/speed and interrupt him mid-air and start a juggle on his face. He'll probably think twice about using it next time.