Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Kazuo
Iron Fist God
PSN: BryanFury
#1 “Quote” Edit Post
Backdash Cancelling/BDC + KBD

b,b,N db, b~db,b~db,b~db,b

Moves you backward very fast. Beware though that as you do it you are open to attack. Try to minimize the time between letting go of 'b' and returning to 'b' during the BDC. This will ensure a greater chance to block attacks as you move back.

E-Step

ssl~qcd, qcd, qcd etc

ssr~qcu, qcu, qcu etc

Reading the notation and actually doing the move are two different things. To ESS you dont exactly move by doing repeated quarter circle movements. Your more, rubbing relentlessly from back to down (or forward to down), as if your repeatedly flicking on a lighter. To ss the opposite direction you run the corner from b/f to up. Nearly everyone has discovered how to do it from just messing around. Rubbing as fast as they can and eventually getting the timing right themselves. Im a pad player though so the above does not apply as much to stick playing. And tips from stick players would be great.

The ESS is good for ss'ing fast.

Wave Dash (Mishimas, Jin, AK only)

f,n,d,df,~n~f,n,d,df....and repeat

Good for closing ground very fast and as an offensive technique.

Lightdash (Mishimas, Jin, AK only)

Wave Dash faster.

Silent step (Lei only)

b3+4,b repeat, leis fastest backstep

Haha step (Lei only)

b3~4, b repeat, not as fast as silent step but starts faster so can be used to backstep faster attacks.

Locolei Special Step (Lei only)

b3+4~b3+4 very fast and very confusing backstep, lei looks like he has an epileptic attack.

Turn around step mid (Lei only)

b3+4:d/b fast and long backstep totally masks ff movements from it and if executed right ws attacks can be done instantly, two versions are available just frame and normal, just frame is slightly faster and is done by pressing d/b the moment lei turn around.

Turn around step high (Lei only)

b3+4:u/b shorter than the mid version and must be done by tapping u/b otherwise Lei will jump backwards, same as the mid two versions are available just frame and normal, just frame again being slightly faster and is done the same way as the mid version, Lei will block mids and highs instantly after pressing u/b and attacks will be done from standing position. Also masks ff moves perfectly.

Ultimate step combo (Lei only)

This is the ultimate step combo, it doesnt get more flash than this, unless you include the foxstep as well but that is beyond me, if anyone knows the correct notation for the foxstep and can teach it to me please PM me asap

b3+4,b3+4,b3+4:b,b3~4:b,b3+4:db Have fun doing that one guys. If done fast enough you will outrun Lightdashing Mishimas.

Fox step (Lei only)

b3+4:~bb, a one frame JF which only tetsuo can pull off with any kind of consistency makes Lei jump backwards while still being backturned, can be pulled off in Tekken 6 as a normal movement, fox step is also possible from BT,d+1:~bb but this move is not human and has only been pulled off by a programmable pad with the help of a pc with frame perfect timing.

Foxstep (Ling)

Okay as we all know Ling can fox step (Turn around and take one dash away from the opponent.) This is going to be a small guide on how to do it. The notation for Ling's fox step is b+3+4,f:f~n. Plain and simple, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. The timing on the second forward is very scrict and it has to be tapped very quickly returning to neutral as fast as your little fingers will let you. Also keep in mind that this notation corrosponds to where your opponent is and not which way you are looking. For example if you are one player one side and your back is towards the enemy forward will still be tapping right on your stick or pad.
You don't have to hit the first forward as soon as possible... Just as long as both forwards are in there and the second one is tapped very briefly and with the correct timing it will come out. Rumor has it the window to input the second forward is one frame, but that probably isn't the case. It might even be 2 or 3 frames.
In my oppinion this was one of the better ways to find out and practice the timing. Turning on hit analasys, b+3+4 will throw her in RDS and she will turn a different color. During this time is when the forwards are to be pressed the first being any time and the second within a small window of her turning back to her neutral color. If done correctly she will turn around and dash away from the opponent.
Just 3 keys to look at in successful foxsteps.

1. What has helped me do the foxstep is to find the cause and effect of doing the 2nd f too early or too late. If I know how I'm doing based on that it improves my ability to do it, rather than just feeling it out or hearing it out.

On the 2nd f, if you do it too late she does nothing, really late and she dashes. If you do it too early she'll just simply turn around, really early and she does nothing. I really follow the doing in too late effect in doing it now as I know the timing. Doing it too late and she does nothing seems to let me know a bit better that if I just speed up just a tiny bit I'll get the foxstep.

2. Tap the 2nd f lightly to improve success rate. Doesn't matter in speed, if you have a light touch on it your success rate increases. Not sure how that works as I have hit the 2nd f normally and it still worked. Doesn't work as often however.

3. The foxstep's only real use is for style points. It won't give you a big edge over someone who can't do it. The dash isn't like Craig Marduk's d/b+3+4 or anything, it just looks cool that's all.

Taunt Dashing (Bryan Fury only)

This is a very effective way of moving forwards faster, as i said earlier the notation is taunt~f,taunt~f,taunt.... the way to do it the most efficiently is to do taunt and then press f immediatly afterwards, if you do it fast enough for him to just move forwards without any kind of animation at all then you are doing it correctly. After that moving forward bit you wait for a few moments then you do it again. If done with good timing which is hard not to mess up you will get a very fluid forward motion. Depending on how you buffer it you will get different attacks if you fail it (personally i allways buffer taunt with 3+4 and then press 1). A tip when doing it to do taunt~f in very fast pairs. This tends to work more effectively.
Taunt Dashing is essential to maximizing Bryan's Offense. A lot of ff moves can be buffered into it requiring only one 'f' eg taunt~f, taunt~f, 2 will throw out a mach punch.
Taunt also knocks off your opponents guard allowing you to get some free hits in like 3+4 (great against walls for free wall splat and wall combo), b+4 (which in turn guarantees f, f+2 or f, b+2 if your opponent is backed against the wall) or the greatest ever Taunt, f, b+2 for free juggle/wall carry.
Mastering Taunt doubles Bryan's offense.

Sway Cancelling/Hiyashida Step

Any char that can do QCF or QCB can sway cancel. Notation is qcb~u, qcb~u, qcb~u or qcf~u, qcf~u, qcf~u. Can be used to throw out some sway moves whilst slightly sidestepping or just to make people think you are good at the game cos you can sway cancel. A lot of highs can be dodged when you are in middle of sway cancelling. Defense while performing this is null. Only do it if you know what your doing.

Meditation step (Yoshi)

3+4~b~3+4~b

Bear Taunt Backstep (Kuma, Panda)

1+3+4~b~1+3+4~b

3xss (Baek, Bob)

Beak: ssr b+3 ssr
Bob: ssr f+3 ssr

Some videos that may be of use

BDC with Stick (At end of vid)
Wavedashing on stick

Ill add more as i come across them.

In regard to this guide if there any mistakes or anything i could add let me know

Last edited by Kazuo on Feb 10th, 2009 at 07:47

DevilKnight
Iron Fist God
PSN: DevilKnight9999
#2 “Quote” Edit Post
I never found an effective input for ESS on pad. What's the input for QCD_QCU?
Signature Tekken Engine 101

Teaching someone Tekken? use this ^
Kazuo
Iron Fist God
#3 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by DevilKnight
I never found an effective input for ESS on pad. What's the input for QCD_QCU?

Well the underscore means you can use either of those inputs. You are not really inputing what i have wrote as you would think. Your more...you take one sidestep then rub the D pad in the qcd or qcu manner really fast. You need to see it tbh. When i get home i may consider uploading to youtube some vids of the movements on pad/stick
haruhi03
2nd Dan
#4 “Quote” Edit Post
could you please explain how to do that ESS? I can't actually figure it out how, how do you perform that QCD? is it b, d/b, d? or d,d/b,b? I don't know it, so please explain it to me please??

so for example is that I'm facing right, then I'll sidestep to the right, so it would be like this, I'll sidestep to the right first, then tap back/forward then perform the QCD?
Kazuo
Iron Fist God
#5 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by haruhi03
could you please explain how to do that ESS? I can't actually figure it out how, how do you perform that QCD? is it b, d/b, d? or d,d/b,b? I don't know it, so please explain it to me please??

so for example is that I'm facing right, then I'll sidestep to the right, so it would be like this, I'll sidestep to the right first, then tap back/forward then perform the QCD?

Originally posted by Gandido
For pad players, it's like repeatedly turning on a lighter.

Eg ssr by tapping dd. Just as your sidestepping do the 'b, db, d' (qcd) motion. But do it really fast. Like flicking on a lighter. Its really a trial and error thing. Anything i read online didnt help me. Like i said, when i get home ill add vids of the motions being done. But for now you gotta take whatever small advice you can get and attempt to make it work.

Edit: the 'b' 'f' , means you can start your quarter circle down/up motion from either f or b as f, df, d or b, db, d

Last edited by Kazuo on Oct 6th, 2008 at 07:28

tulip_sniper
Raijin
#6 “Quote” Edit Post
i started doing ESS by accident because i was just fidgeting on the d-pad on my controller. my simplest explanation: sidestep with u, wait for the neutral, then just go nuts rubbing the joint of your thumb from b to u. u/b will just happen as a by-product. you have to do it quickly, or you'll hop up. it works with d in the same way, and if you want to advance instead of retreat you can cancel into f instead of b.

t_s
DevilKnight
Iron Fist God
#7 “Quote” Edit Post
Ah, the motion makes sense, I'll get to work on that. Should help certain aspects of my game quite a bit.

DevilKnight
Iron Fist God
#8 “Quote” Edit Post
Whoa, picked it up in one night really easy, the input tip is gold. I got it going quick, it looked glitchy and evaded like a bitch.

Thanks so much for adding this to my game.

for this thread.

Kazuo
Iron Fist God
#9 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by DevilKnight
Whoa, picked it up in one night really easy, the input tip is gold. I got it going quick, it looked glitchy and evaded like a bitch.

Thanks so much for adding this to my game.

for this thread.

Can you tell me which input tip you found helped so i can add it to the first post?
haruhi03
2nd Dan
#10 “Quote” Edit Post
I did this last time I played, on Tekken 5 arcade machine, and the ESS works purrfectly, I say thumbs up for this guide, I just applied the pad controller on the joystick, the hard thing is that when sidestepping downwards, I have to do QCD with right to downwards and when doing QCU I'll be doing left to upward joystick motion, because my wrist hurts whenever I do the opposite motion, however, no block input if you're sidestepping downwards with the QCD, on f motion if you're on p1 side, since it's a forward not a backward T_T and same with sidestepping to the right when p2 side >.>

when inputting this on the arcade machine, I suggest you do this following:

on p1 side:

side step downwards (right): side step first, then press b with ur thumb, then curl your index and middle finger on a C motion from b to d, and there you go your QCD, it takes practice though >.>

side step upwards (left): side step first (by tapping U), press b with ur thumb, then pull ur thumb upwards on a C motion from b to u for QCU

p2 side:

side step downwards (left): side step first, press B with the center of your palm (or hold the ball between your thumb and index finger), then do the QCD by holding the Jap ball between your thumb and index finger from B to D

side step upwards (right): side step first, press B same as the above mentioned, do the QCU by holding the ball between your thumb and index finger, then rotate the joystick from B to U, it hurts though o.O

TIP: you could also do forwards when doing the QCU/QCB, however, there's no random block, so doing the QCU/QCD from B is your choice, needs constant practice since it hurts my wrist for the first time, and I also recommend that you use your whole arm when you ESS.

P.S.:

~facts: you could get a buffer move with ESS, I've tried it once, it's up to you to figure it out what command that is buffed during ESS =P

~this move is a lil bit useless in Tekken 6, I mean you could still do it but it looks like you still got a 70% on getting hit, I've tried this three times and I get hit in a row, I dunno why.

if this explains enough, still, I would like somebody to upload a vid on doing this so everyone could understood the example, 'cuz my english was sooo bad :3

credits to Kazuo though, 10 cookies out of 10 for the ESS, I don't know that command in the first place but not 'til I've looked at this encyclopedia lolz

Last edited by haruhi03 on Oct 8th, 2008 at 13:10

DevilKnight
Iron Fist God
#11 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kazuo
Can you tell me which input tip you found helped so i can add it to the first post?

I can only comment on the pad input, but the input tip that made all the difference was the explanation of SS'ing in a direction then rubbing from either f or b to the direction of the step and identifying 'QCD' as b, d/b, d or f, d/f, d.

With "repeatedly flicking on a lighter" being the key tip for understanding the input.

I'd tried to learn it in the past with a demo video from ONEDEADLYVENOM, though he described the input as u, u/b, u, u/b and all variations. I was trying to be precise with the input and found it somewhat cumbersome and difficult; I could do it a tiny bit but it was slow and wasn't fluid.

For Mishima players, I'd recommend doing the QCU or QCD motions from f instead of b since you can easily go straight into an electric from there. 2 or 3 E steps either direction up close into the EWGF is really great for getting launches since they'd often end up whiffing right in front of you.

MoeHammerd_KING
2nd Dan
PSN: MoeHammered
#12 “Quote” Edit Post
excuse me what is QCD or CD?? and is backdash and wavedash possible on pad, because all i get while playing is a soar thumb , please ive been looking for ways to get better and thank god i found this site, been using king since TK2 and now im stuck at a point where im just repetitive, so want to learn wavedash to be able to cream people easier haha
Kazuo
Iron Fist God
#13 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by MoeHammerd_KING
excuse me what is QCD or CD?? and is backdash and wavedash possible on pad, because all i get while playing is a soar thumb , please ive been looking for ways to get better and thank god i found this site, been using king since TK2 and now im stuck at a point where im just repetitive, so want to learn wavedash to be able to cream people easier haha

QCD = b, db, d or f, fd, d

CD is crouch dash. for more info click on the legend on top silver bar.

Backdash and wavedash are both possible on pad yes.
Scarlet Chaos
1st Dan
#14 “Quote” Edit Post
Some good tips in this thread. I've learnt to consistently eSS on a pad though i still find BDC kinda hard and learning on a stick is a whole different story.
Skillz!
7th Dan
PSN: Got milk?
XBL: $??? Skillz? ???$
#15 “Quote” Edit Post
Anyone can gome give tips on ESSing on stick??? please reply!!
Signature Technique always beat strength all the time.......
ran2k6
3rd Dan
PSN: scorpionking3083
#16 “Quote” Edit Post
WITH IS IT EASY TO DO IT ON ACARDE OR PS3 STICK...?
Signature Can't wait for T6
ran2k6
3rd Dan
PSN: scorpionking3083
#17 “Quote” Edit Post
IS THE MOVEMENT IS TO DO WITH A JOYSTICK OR ARCADE PAD
Signature Can't wait for T6
Kam
Legend
PSN: TXImperial
#18 “Quote” Edit Post
anything on crouch dash?
NoodleHead
will touch u gently
PSN: TastyPPJuice
#19 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Kam
anything on crouch dash?

CD is pretty much the basic movement for many more advanced movements.

For example, WD = 3-4 CD per sec, and LD = 5-6 CD per sec.

Different characters have different CD notation.

Mishimas, Kings, TKDs, Roo: f,n,d,d/f

Paul, Williams, Bryan, Drag, Feng, Lili, Wang: d,d/f,f (QCF)
zbouz
2nd Dan
#20 “Quote” Edit Post
is wave dash harder on square gate?