TTT History: What every man should know!

Page Splits <1234>...8
Share This Topic
Subscribe/Jump Subscribe This Topic
< >
Shotokan
#Unity
PSN: ShotokanAU
#21 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by KLB
I learned about Jang Iksu back in 2001 while I was at a local arcade here in Winnipeg, Canada.

I was just finished doing a run through KOF 2000 when I was approached by a player to have a couple matches of TTT. He went on and on about the Korean dominance in the game and how they do EWGF with Jin. He even tried to duplicate what he saw on some pixilated videos from the web, to show me what he was talking about, but failed miserably. He pointed me towards Shoryuken.com for some reason even though it had little to do with Tekken or KOF.

That moment though was my first introduction to competitive fighting games and I will never forget that crazy guy and his terrible EWGF attempts.

Jang Iksu vid you probably all seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivUa6VstPKI

lol, nice story. Was the guy actually korean or just a fan boy?
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/snesfreak/unity.gif
KLB
Kyu
#22 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Shotokan
lol, nice story. Was the guy actually korean or just a fan boy?

I think he was just a fan boy considering how he seemed to know allot about TTT and little about how to actually play the game. I remember him telling me to tag out and have the tagged in character come in with a sweep. This was actually a winning strategy at the time because of the popularity of the game, allot of noobs+scrubby people where playing back in 2001. Riding the popularity of TTT on the PS2, these people have since disappeared and so have almost all the TTT machines. All of the arcades are gone now and whatever is left here is up north in shabby walk in arcades in the summer months on the boardwalk of Winnipeg beach and in Grand Marais.
Shotokan
#Unity
#23 “Quote” Edit Post
Wow, I guess we're lucky here. Most of our arcades are still alive, but there's only one with a semi-decent TTT scene. We get a lot of korean scrubs and scrubs in general, good wd practice haha
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
jinogre
Berserker
PSN: jinogre
#24 “Quote” Edit Post
I like Markman was in High School when Tag was in it's day. But lucky for me JOP lived down the road from me and I got to play with him on the regular. I still have hours and hours of Tag vids. I remember the first time I saw Iksu play I was like "is that even possible?" Awesome post jin11, no Tekken will ever reach the status that Tag did.
Deep Grudge
Banned By Mod
#25 “Quote” Edit Post
the tekken tag history i never knew about
(cuz i was always stuck in my room playing TTT on PS2 all day and night)
Signature The REAL Deep Grudge
"War Is Crazy Shit" - Alexander The Great
DayFul
Mad axe man
PSN: DayFul
#26 “Quote” Edit Post
Tekken never recovered from TTT's greatness Namco haven't come close to topping it IMO.
Ali Vegaz
Expert
PSN: AdonisThaGod
XBL: Adonis ThaGod
#27 “Quote” Edit Post
I've been on this site for a while and I've seen the people, games and aspects of games go and come...

I was screaming TTT until the end of 2001 while people were telling me that I am an idiot because everyone else is playing T4... BTW these were also some of Cali's Finest telling me this too...

The TTT players disappeared and faded to the shadows... As scrubs started to conquer the T4 scene... some of the OGs still maintained their positions as top players, but for the most part T4 Jin & Nina held the position of the gayest and steered a lot of Tekken players away...

Then 5 came... and even more scrubbier, combo infested game... Hit boxes reach across the screen, crush system trash... god... But the noobs loved it... It's the reason that noobs like Spero can win, the pure ease in this game... I quit Tekken for at least 3 years, came back and it was 40 people at the cade playing this game... I of course won my first matches though I was rusty as fuck, and they'd had been playing the game for weeks lol... Just off basic knowledge...

T5 series IMO is trash, and the Tekken scene will never be as great as it was....

But let's not forget Tekken 3... This MY era of Tekken... TTT was cool, but T3 is where it started... T3 changed Tekken forever... TTT was an add-on to T3 pretty much...
Shotokan
#Unity
#28 “Quote” Edit Post
TTT is very much the reason so many people got into tekken in the first place. Without TTT's popularity I doubt people would be seeing DR the way it is today. It'd probably be another shit ass tekken like 5.0.

I hate how DR is so scrub friendly in regards to the system and juggles etc. but it did something important that the other series couldn't and that's get people back into tekken, revive scenes, bring in new faces etc. Old school players were popping up and schooling newer scrubs, making the scene today more lively than it ever could be. DR and TTT are both good in their own rights, but I will always love TTT more than DR under ANY circumstance.
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
Grim Walker
... wtf ...
#29 “Quote” Edit Post
T3, TTT and DR in there own rights have clear reasoning for being respected. However TTT has the only true claim to fame.

TTT was the beginning of an Era. Undeniable fact, with wavedash, 3xEWGF, DEWGF, Tech Catch Setups / Combos, the bar being raised consistently for near on SIX years. The level of play at a constant steep incline. People advancing and the top end players constantly getting better with the mid range barely able to reach them.

It seemed every tournament had something new to offer.

Crazy Legs
HAHA Step
WM Showboat Combo
Infinate Kick Destruction
Anti Mishima Changs
Bruce Dominance
Mishima Lightdash
King / A.King Lightdash
Pimpwalk
A.King Turtle (Not indestructable, just Unconkable )
Ogres

The bar shifted and the level of play changed so rapidly that it seemed almost every tournament had something amazing to it. JoP and his ogres. Slips and his eddy. Ryan being beaten by an italian guy using Changs ( forgot his name ) new tag combos, new setups, new moves ( Pimp Walk WINS ) HotdogSakuras study of wangs Shimmy Step showing that its complexity was drawn on amazing and is today STILL possibly the most complex JF ( if not most useless ) in any Tekken game bar none. The variation of getting a -6 on block, -13 on block, a complete whiff on block, no low to a step in lift and if I recall there are a few others I have missed. Created possibly some of the most amazing discussion threads in ever.

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forum...ght=wang+shimmy

Tekken Tag Tournament was the beginning, and I believe the end of an Era.

Nothing will ever compare to its greatness. I salute those of you that still delve into its depths in hopes of finding a sliver of something new that has not been mined from it.

But after almost 8 years now, Psticks, entire groups dedicated to finding just frames, instant timed juggles, flash, flare, and amazing matchups with some of the best come backs in any game to date. I'm afraid theres not really much left for us old schoolers.

The truth to Tekken Tag Tournament, there is too much information there for any single person to completely comprehend. An encyclopedia of pure information about Tekken Tag Tournement, known glitches, strategies, anti character strategies, character abuse, tag techniques, anti glitch techniques, just frames, guaranteed combo setups ..

Not only due to character volume but sheer AMOUNT. It dwarfs any other game I have ever play. And god forbid any that will ever be made in the future. TTT's complexity had many of us mining for many, many years. I can think of no other game to date that had the kind of brutal manipulation and hammering that TTT had while constantly delivering on a regular basis.

Long Live

Tekken Tag Tournament

Last edited by Grim Walker on Jan 13th, 2008 at 19:36

Signature GW - I'm not scary. Just miss informed.
jinogre
Berserker
PSN: jinogre
#30 “Quote” Edit Post
Good shit Grim Walker. You speak the truth.
Insodp
Kyu
#31 “Quote” Edit Post
TTT in that time was a must.
TeKy
tranceaddict
PSN: teky-1
#32 “Quote” Edit Post
legendary post and legendary facts and such an amazing time when it was competive scene. i love you TTT
Signature tekken tag online please...

seriously. tekken tag online .. like wat da fk
The-CHALLENGER
SEKAI SENSHI
PSN: The__Challenger
XBL: CHALLENGER 1980
#33 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by Autocrat1
I'll never forget www.tekkentagtournament.com <--- FYI: does not work anymore

*Clicks on Bryan's portrait*

Announcer: Bryan Fury!

Me: WTS?!

Yeah I remeber that too. I went by the name of MEGA-Jack back then. I joined this site in 2000 I think and before then I was another name.....(lost my passwords) lol

Is the threads that talk about the Tags or T4 early days like time release characters still around? I remeber when Kazuya and Devil and P.Jack were shown. How everyone was still trying tag teams and moves out. And people would post that they saw Wang or someone in the random select box. Everythime a new tekken came out after tag. The posts always reminded me of TAG, when people talked about the new stages and characters.
Signature "What strength!! But don't forget... There are many guys like you all over the world." -SF1
TheMandarin
Mammoth
PSN: The_Mandarin
#34 “Quote” Edit Post
The amount of information buried in Tekken Tag was incredible, and it really is something special that high-level play was able to be conceptualized and reconceptualized so many times. But even if that information has been mined completely, there really is enormous room for the player to refine and develop his interface with the game..i.e. play style, strategy, spacing, execution. Even if we have an idea of what the perfect player would look like, there is still so much room to improve...for most of us anyway. Could Qudans or KBM get much better? Maybe, maybe not...I guess that's an interesting question.

Is it going to be more fun to move on to an inferior game with different features and rules just because there is proportianately more factual information to discover? Maybe for some people, but not for me. I say there's still plenty more fun to be had with Tag.

I can't know for sure if I'll feel this way 3 years from now, but if I still have friends to play with and there is still good comp to seek out, I probably will.

Look at SSFT2!
Signature TTT Casual vids
Tuesday Never Comes Project: Free Downloads
[URL=http://http://rbnorway.org/ancient-ogre/[/URL]
WoTmanX
SO GOOD!
XBL: WoTmanX
#35 “Quote” Edit Post
I vote to bring back TTT as the tournament standard for Tekken Tournaments.
Signature INTJ
Shotokan
#Unity
#36 “Quote” Edit Post
Hahaha, I wish I was in the states so I could play you fellas. Would be great to play players that have an opinion about ttt and tekken as a whole similar to mine. Maybe one day, heck if any of you guys go to brisbane for a holiday gimme a pm and I'll be happy to play any of you guys.

Wotman: I wish they would too, dr isn't undying like ttt.
Signature Shotokan#U
willus259
TheMandarin
Mammoth
#37 “Quote” Edit Post
likewise shotokan
QDogg
Manji Foot Soldier
PSN: Qunimitsu
#38 “Quote” Edit Post
The Mandarian - What's up man? Wow, you're still an addict for this game-that's great. I know I don't go out seeking TTT games but I'm always up to play if others are playing. TTT is like Super Turbo of the Tekken series. You don't see a lot of players of today going back to play it though, but I can understand why. Overall, it's still a great game and probably the peak of Tekken in the USA, IMO.
Signature "Live, love, laugh, enjoy life."
Kirby Puckett, Minnesota Twins
1960-2006

Catfish
Serious Business.
#39 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by WoTmanX
I vote to bring back TTT as the tournament standard for Tekken Tournaments.

I think most major tourneys still do (e.g. Evo)

The Australian national tourney still has TTT as a tourney game... just that it's held on console so it sucks in comparison
Signature Originally posted by Johnnay
agreed yiggs is a cool, interesting xiaoyu person with a good knowledge of her BTW

Tekken: Serious Business -=TSB=-
Australian Tekken
TheMandarin
Mammoth
#40 “Quote” Edit Post
Originally posted by QDogg
The Mandarian - What's up man? Wow, you're still an addict for this game-that's great. I know I don't go out seeking TTT games but I'm always up to play if others are playing. TTT is like Super Turbo of the Tekken series. You don't see a lot of players of today going back to play it though, but I can understand why. Overall, it's still a great game and probably the peak of Tekken in the USA, IMO.

I'm definitely still an addict for TTT...! Good to see hear from you though, if you're back in the northeast I'd love to meet up again for some games. That Yoshi/Eddy team was too good!
But, yeah I can understand why people wouldn't go back to TTT...It probably seems like a dry, rigorous game that is just outdated. While I don't at all feel that way, I can empathize with people, especially because it's really just about what's more fun to the individual...I mean, it's not really a moral issue where people are acting irresponibly if they choose to play one game over the other...

Catfish, unfortunately, EVO no longer holds TTT as a featured tournament game. A good number of people were getting together to play casuals, so maybe there could have been an unofficial tournament if we really tried to organize.
I think the most recent Electric Cancel tournament held TTT though...