Budding Fighter
^ Thanks AZYG4LYFE!
# “Quote” Edit Post
10) FLA WD

This is probably the most advanced part of Baek's game - no, this is THE most advanced part of Baek's game.
Baek's problem is that most of his moves don't have a CRAPTON of range like some characters do *coughJackcough*. Also, if he whiffs, most of the time he's asking to get launched. This means that he's a rather short ranged character, and since BDC is really good in TTT2, it's kind of a problem.

df+3 is an i22 move. It's mid and launches on counter hit. It's punishable at -12, but there's a delayable (and hella HitConfirmable) part to that string (df+3>4) which KND's and wallsplats. That part is -14, but has a decent pushback.
The best thing about df+3 is that it can be cancelled into FLA just like his 1,2,3 string, by either forward, up or down (not by back though). It looks a bit awkward when you cancel it, though. He looks like he's just dashing and moving forward while in FLA.
Wait, he can move forward quickly in FLA (unlike Hwoarang)?
OH MY GOD WE HAVE THE SOLUTION TO BAEK'S RANGE PROBLEM.

df+3~f over and over is known as FLA WD (Or Flamingo Wavedash). I will do a short comparison of FLA WD with his regular f,n,d,df wavedash.

Wavedash
- Difficult (?) input (f,n,d,df,n,f,n,d,df...)
- Cannot be done if in FLA.
- You can stop it at any time (f,n,d,df,f,b to stop)
- Lateral movement is relatively small (f,n,d,df,f,u_d)
- Provides access to only a few moves
- If hit in it, Baek takes regular damage

FLA WD
- Easy input (df+3~f,df+3~f...)
- Can be done while in FLA.
- Cannot be stopped immediately (df+3~f~b+1+2)
- Lateral movement is relatively HUGE (df+3~u_d)
- Provides access to ALL of his FLA moves
- If hit in it, Baek eats CH damage.
The last part is really scary. This means that if you're approaching someone via FLA WD, if they stick out their magic 4 (or Steve b+1) and Baek gets hit, he gets launched.
This means that FLA WD requires a whole lot more awareness and spacing than the regular counterpart.
On the usage of FLA WD I have a little theory.
Budding Fighter's theory on the usage of FLA WD
If the distance between you and your opponent is such that you cannot hit df+3~f~FLA grab on its max range, you shouldn't be doing the Flamingo Wavedash at that time.

What I mean by that is you aren't supposed to be doing FLA WD right up in their face because the risk is so huge, unless it's a part of FLA pressure, in which case you've got to be a bit careful.
NoodleHead said it the best:
Originally posted by NoodleHead
... it's very important to know the very Fundamental of the FLA WD: the hit range of d/f+3...
Ask yourself this question: At what range should you be using Chreddy's u/f+4, Yoshi's f+3+4, and Hei's CD+3?

If your answer is not 'point blank range,' then you should have a very good idea when to stop canceling the d/f+3 during FLA WD.

Here's what NoodleHead has to say about FLA WD:
Though FLA WD is not conventionally safer to the regular WD, its reward is over the roof. Here are some facts of a correctly done FLA WD w/o any other moves mixed in:
-FLA WD tracks, so it nullifies your opponent?s ss/sw as long as they are not done after the FLA WD (d/f+3~f) execution. d/f+3 alone also tracks a bit to its left
-FLA WD travels way faster than dash in, adding to the fact that d/f+3?s got super long range, it kills bdc for lunch.
-On CH, d/f+3 juggles [do a crapton of damage]. You can also choose to wall-carry for some even scarier wall/okizeme setup.
-On block, d/f+3 is jab-punishable, but w/ the delayed ?4? at the end, it will shut down opponent?s offense after eating a few of KND 4.

Okay, now that we know that learning the art of FLA WD is REALLY worth it, and I've been talking about spacing and careful usage of the FLA WD, let's go into the workshop and get practicing!
Learn the range of df+3 first. Go into practice mode, select a dummy (preferably a different character each time because characters models do matter).
1. Attack the dummy w/ d/f+3 at its maximum range.
2. Attack the dummy w/ d/f+3~f d/f+3 at its maximum range.
3. Attack the dummy w/ d/f+3~f(x2, x3) d/f+3 at its maximum range.
4. Attack the dummy w/ d/f+3~u_d d/f+3 at its maximum range.
5. Attack the dummy w/ d/f+3~f d/f+3~u_d d/f+3 at its maximum range.

You need to nail each part of the exercise in 5 successive runs WITHOUT fail , ie, if you mess up and NOT hit the dummy at the max range of the kick, then start that step again from zero.

This might take you a few weeks, maybe a month and a half (it's been 5 weeks for me and I still get it messed up sometimes). Always practice this whenever you can go into practice mode.

Now that you would have learned the perfect max range of df+3 and df+3~f and stuff, you might be thinking, "Well what if the opponent is NOT at the perfect max range of df+3; what do I do then?"
Fear not my friend, because Baek can do other moves too!

I've made a little list of the useful moves Baek can do from FLA WD, and compared their range to df+3 (on a little scale from 1 to 15, 15 being the range of df+3). Here it is:
Code:

df
+3            [---------------]
FLA f+3         [-------------]
db+4            [------------]
FLA f+4         [----------]
FLA uf+3        [---------]
FLA 3,3~f       [---------]
b+4             [--------]
df+4            [--------]
df+1            [--------]
3               [-------]
4               [-------]
d+3             [-------]
b+1_b+2         [------]
db+3,3~f        [------]
d+4             [-----]
FLA grab        [----]
2               [----]
1               [---]
FLA punch parry []

Now you know the basic attacks you can do on the different ranges of the FLA WD. Now, to practice this, I suggest going into practice mode, picking Heihachi as a dummy, and set him to do his shadow step (bb,n,3+4). When he does that, you move a bit too (BDC, sidestep, CD whatever). Then, once the shadow step finishes, stop.
Now, FLA WD up to him and ask yourself, "Which move with hit on MAX RANGE from here?" I know this one will require a whole lot more practice, but this is a bit more realistic scenario, which I feel is a bit more effective. Of course you can do the NoodleHead way of hitting the opponent with the above moves at max range so as to learn the moves' range.

So from here, you can now go to the practice mode, and test out their range. Start from a distance and FLA WD toward the dummy until the distance is smaller than the maximum d/f+3 range, then test out the rest of the attacks. It?s essential to know those move ranges and use them at where they are intended to use.
The reason why it's so difficult to use those attacks effectively during FLA WD is because not only you have to know the range of each attack, but you also have to add such range into the range of your carefully spaced FLA WD . To perform those moves at their effective range, you will need to have absolutely no problem w/ controlling FLA WD forward-travel at all? In a way, you will be replacing the WD or forward movement all together w/ the FLA WD only, which makes Baek almost a completely new character to play.
If you still have difficulty doing all these at once, make sure you can control your FLA WD like if you are walking normally (Chapter 1), then go back and practice again. To master up to this point should take you at least two week to a month or so. Good luck.

I've been practicing for five weeks and I still don't have it down, so don't feel sad if you can't get it all right at the first time. Practicing and mastering FLA WD requires a crap ton of patience.

The most hard-to-grasp fact about FLA WD is that you can't block instantly from FLA WD, unlike regular WD. Here's NoodleHead on how to get around that weakness:

If you have done everything at this point and have applied it in your game, you probably have realized how scary FLA WD is to your opponents. Different from other offensive maneuver, FLA WD in offense only gets scarier the more your opponents become defensive/turtlish...

Nevertheless, when they finally become panic and slip a quick desperation attack, you will realize that the whole FLA WD practice you have tried so hard to accomplish suddenly becomes useless. It only gets much worse when they find out that using the quick, mid range attacks (i.e. Julia's f,f+1, or Chreddy's u/f+4) IS the way to destroy the FLA WD setup... What are you going to do?

Well? there are a few options really, but the difficulty is several times harder than you have practiced before? Those are:

1. FLA SS WD - Use within opponent's attack range
2. FLA punch parry - Use beyond opponent's attack range

I am going to explain more of each below...

1. FLA SS WD - 3-D FLA WD

There are a few places where you will find this useful. FLA SSR avoids many right arm attacks such as Jin's f,f+2, and FLA SSL avoids the close-range jabs. Make sure that the SS actually comes out during the FLA WD, and try to learn the recovery frame so you can add your own attack immediately.

The hard part of this one is not the ss (though it would give u some trouble getting it to be useful to dodge your opponent), but the part where you are to attack. You can start w/ the easier attacks such as b+2 for ssl, and b+1 for ssr to make it a double SS during FLA WD, then you can start adding more moves that might give u better reward, such as FLA (hold 3) b+4,4,3 for a side-way juggle.

To practice FLA SS WD carefully, you can train by working on this sequence:

d/f+3~f~U ssl FLA d/f+3~f FLA d/f+3~f~D ssr FLA d/f+3~f and so on
(short notation: FLA WD~SSL~WD~SSR~and repeat)

2. FLA punch parry - 4-D(!?) FLA WD (refers to Eyeshield 21 Sena's 4th Dimension Run)

You might be wondering why I am using punch parry OUTSIDE of opponent's strike range... well, here are a few reasons why you shouldn't do it inside of opponent's striking range:

-The SPACING of FLA WD into anything is DIFFICULT
-The TIMING of punch parry is HARD

So... unless it's absolutely necessary, or the chance of successful punch parry is high (i.e. Steve as opponent), setting up the punch parry to do its job in a FLA WD scenario = suicide.

So... why punch parry OUTSIDE of the striking range then?

After a few rounds of matches, your opponent will likely to get used to the rhythm of the FLA WD. To counter FLA WD mixups, opponents have to attack w/ moves of farther reach than Baek's d/f+3, they also need to make sure the timing of the attack was perfect (based on Baek's "ya, ya, ya") to hit Baek before getting CH'd by d/f+3. What FLA punch parry does, is exactly to destroy the predictable timing of the FLA WD - one of FLA WD's biggest flaws. In addition, the sudden stop of the forward motion will cause your opponent to attack prematurely and whiff their attack within d/f+3 punishable range, making them prone to any post-whiff attacks.

To practice FLA punch parry carefully, you can work on this sequence

d/f+3~f d/f+3~f FLA b+1+2 d/f+3~f FLA b+1+2 and so on
(short notation: d/f+3~FLA WD~PP~WD~PP~)

Once you are good w/ each, then you might want to try practicing this sequence:

d/f+3~f d/f+3~f FLA b+1+2 d/f+3~U ssl FLA d/f+3~f FLA b+1+2 FLA d/f+3~d ssr FLA d/f+3 and so on
(short notation: d/f+3~FLA WD~PP~SSL~WD~PP~SSR~and repeat)

It will take a shit load of time and effort to complete this practice, but once it's done, it will shut down opponent's offensive game during your FLA WD. FLA SS WD causes opp whiff off-axis, and FLA PP causes opp whiff in front of you. It's up to you to punish w/ whatever you feel comfortable. After causing opponent whiff a few times, they will be too scared to dish out any moves in retaliation, making Offensive FLA an unstoppable force.

The bad part of PP now is that you can't go into FLA from it right away, so df+3 right out of PP takes a bit of time now as compared to in DR.

This will, as said by NoodleHead, require a shit load of practice, possibly months to get down, but once you're down with it, go destroy opponents!

After this I have three topics left: general strategy, a detailed movelist breakdown, and team synergy. I'll do them in that order. So if you have any info, questions, or you saw I had any typos, please feel free to post.

Last edited by Budding Fighter on Feb 20th, 2013 at 00:47

Signature St. George loves my attitude! ("You know too much." - azL) Everything will remain at 50% of its ideal size.
"Here son do a slight dash after ff4,3 into 4,3,4 when they're flying through the air and those Nina players will stop teasing your execution at school." - Skeering
"If Baek gets your back you basically die." - Bronson
"At the bottom of the tier list, it's hard to hear the bitching from the top." - raybonekilla